Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What it means to be a "cyclist"

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What it means to be a "cyclist"

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-23, 11:49 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
But it is about how I feel about it because its a matter of perception.

Same for bullying, abuse, etc etc.
One person can see or experience an incident and say its dehumanizing. Another can see it and say its just a dick being a dick.
One person can see or experience an incident and say its bullying. Another can see it and say its passion.

The actions of others stay the same, but how each of us processes and perceives those actions is different.
I don't know about you, but either as a pedestrian or a cyclist, when I get treated like a meat pylon to close pass with a several ton vehicle, I definitely believe I am being treated as less than human. I think we're just so used to driver supremacy that we just don't notice it.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-23-23, 11:51 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4934 Post(s)
Liked 8,074 Times in 3,816 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Probably because they aren't "a long, narrow rug or strip of carpet, especially for a hall or stairway"..

Sorry, this conversation always breaks don the same way, with people insisting their use of the word is the "common" understanding, when it's anything but. "Part of their identity" is too vague to mean anything. If say "I nearly hit a runner in the park", I am saying absolutely nothing about their level of commitment to running, and that's not exactly an uncommon usage.
I'm not insisting anything, or saying that anyone else needs to look at it through the same lens as me. I'm just sharing my opinion. One of the factors in my opinion is point of view. I was speaking primarily on how we look at ourselves, rather than how we are perceived/categorized by others. I consider myself a "cyclist". My involvement and passion for cycling is part of what makes me me, at this point in my life. Likewise with my friend who uses the social media handle 'Runner Suzy". For Suzy, running is a passionate activity that has shaped part of her identity, most of all in the way she sees herself.

Be careful of runners in parks. They're a squirrelly lot. Not so much the ones on stairs, though. They just tend to lay there, but they're rarely seen in parks.
Old 05-23-23, 11:53 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10414 Post(s)
Liked 11,875 Times in 6,082 Posts
But it is about how I feel about it because its a matter of perception.

One person can see or experience an incident and say its dehumanizing. Another can see it and say its just a dick being a dick.
One person can see or experience an incident and say its bullying. Another can see it and say its passion.

The actions of others stay the same, but how each of us processes and perceives those actions is different.
I can't agree, because somebody running you off the road because he sees you as part of a hated outgroup has zero to do with how you feel about it.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-23-23, 11:55 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

I don't know about you, but either as a pedestrian or a cyclist, when I get treated like a meat pylon to close pass with a several ton vehicle, I definitely believe I am being treated as less than human. I think we're just so used to driver supremacy that we just don't notice it.
I'm naming my next band "Meat Pylons". We will play shoegazer rock.
Old 05-23-23, 12:13 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
I did, and it was a collection of unfounded assumptions, bias confirmation, teleological arguments, and straw men. If he wanted to make the argument that bikes are a useful tool for transportation, he could have done so without alienating the very people he needs for his argument to succeed.
Thanks for your reply. The way I see it is, the author doesn't have anything negative about the "cyclists" themselves. He just dislikes the confirmation bias and out-group homogeneity imposed on them by the general public, and that he is considered "one of them."

Consider how his video inspires semantic debate and division on a forum of people who should be natural allies.
I see your point. A majority of people on this forum may be associated with the typical North American cyclists (i.e. "wielrenners"). OTOH, in general, people who simply want to get around by bike ("fietsers") do exist. Some people may wear both hats (like me). What I ask myself (and you and others) is, what can we do to create a society where people can safely travel regardless of their means of transport, without suffering from the kind of harassment and assault highlighted in the video. In a society like that, it really won't matter whether you're a "cyclist" or just a person riding a bike.

I'm not sure if I'm conveying my thoughts very well. I'm kinda thinking out loud here...

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 05-23-23, 12:17 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Eric F
I'm not insisting anything, or saying that anyone else needs to look at it through the same lens as me. I'm just sharing my opinion. One of the factors in my opinion is point of view. I was speaking primarily on how we look at ourselves, rather than how we are perceived/categorized by others. I consider myself a "cyclist". My involvement and passion for cycling is part of what makes me me, at this point in my life. Likewise with my friend who uses the social media handle 'Runner Suzy". For Suzy, running is a passionate activity that has shaped part of her identity, most of all in the way she sees herself.

Be careful of runners in parks. They're a squirrelly lot. Not so much the ones on stairs, though. They just tend to lay there, but they're rarely seen in parks.

I was referring to your claim that the "common connotation" of the word runner is someone who considers it part of their identity, and you even questioned whether a person would call themselves a runner while they were actually running. Those are actually factual assertions about how other people (not yourself) "commonly" use or don't use the word, and I think they're objectively wrong.

I'm not seeing a bright line between an activity I do a lot and an activity that is part of my identity. To me, saying someone who identifies themselves as a cyclist is a cyclist because being a cyclist is part of their identity seems entirely circular. I'm definitely a driver because I drive a fair amount per week, but I don't consider driving part of my identity. I do it primarily because I need it to maintain my employment.

I think I've made this point in several threads on this topic, but I think people who think they have THE definition of cyclist forget that adjectives are really helpful for making distinctions.
Old 05-23-23, 12:25 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

It's a hell of a lot easier to be a dick to someone or bully and abuse them if you've considered them less than human. How relativist do you want to be here? Someone can be an apologist for even the worst possible behavior, does that disqualify the use of the term "dehumanizing"?
Old 05-23-23, 12:31 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Eric F
I'm naming my next band "Meat Pylons". We will play shoegazer rock.

Close--a personal favorite:

Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-23-23, 12:43 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

I was referring to your claim that the "common connotation" of the word runner is someone who considers it part of their identity, and you even questioned whether a person would call themselves a runner while they were actually running. Those are actually factual assertions about how other people (not yourself) "commonly" use or don't use the word, and I think they're objectively wrong.

I'm not seeing a bright line between an activity I do a lot and an activity that is part of my identity. To me, saying someone who identifies themselves as a cyclist is a cyclist because being a cyclist is part of their identity seems entirely circular. I'm definitely a driver because I drive a fair amount per week, but I don't consider driving part of my identity. I do it primarily because I need it to maintain my employment.

I think I've made this point in several threads on this topic, but I think people who think they have THE definition of cyclist forget that adjectives are really helpful for making distinctions.
I get it, and maybe I'm not communicating my thoughts clearly, but I think it's an interesting discussion. I also appreciate being able to discuss differences of opinion without it devolving into personal insults.

I could be actively running - maybe hustling to cross a street at a brief break in traffic - and even in that moment of running, not I would not consider myself a runner in the manner I'm talking about. Your example of a runner in a park is actually a good one. We see someone running in that environment, probably wearing running shoes, and likely clothing appropriate for the activity, and we tend to categorize them as a runner. Now, if we see a guy in a suit and tie running down the sidewalk of a downtown business district, I would guess very few of us would describe that person as a runner in the same way.

I understand your point about being a driver. I brought up in earlier posts that I think there is a passion component to those who would use an activity as part of their self-description. Someone who only uses a bicycle for practical purposes, and isn't passionate about the activity of bike riding as a recreation/sport, will likely see themselves differently than us weirdos who understand what N+1 feels like. I have friends who consider themselves "car guys". The mentality is similar.

All of this is IMO, YMMV.
Old 05-23-23, 12:44 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

I have always liked that song.
Old 05-23-23, 12:48 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I don't really think of myself a runner, yet I am. Ran a half marathon this past weekend. Marathon training for fall marathons starts the first week in June. I'll log around 800 miles from then and do 2 marathons in October/November. I must be a runner after all. Now, the only reason that I ran that half marathon is because due to some other time obligations. Otherwise, I would have done a cycling event I usually do that weekend. So, I cycle also, but think of myself more as a person that rides his bikes. I guess I would still classify myself as a AAA athlete, even though I've aged out of some sports. AAA being Anything, Any time, Any place. I'll give it a go. I might not be good at any of them, but why should that stop a person. I don't Strava anything, or send activity pics to others besides my wife. My wife will track me on various events, but that's about it. I'm just out there doing "it," whatever "it" is because I can. I want to do well/have a decent time, but that's not on the top of the list. As long as I've got good weather, it's a good day. Even if the weather is not good, it still usually beats sitting on a couch. What does that make me? Runner, cyclist, who cares? I'll tell you what is does make me, happy. That's the only think that matters.

Last edited by seypat; 05-23-23 at 12:59 PM.
Old 05-23-23, 12:54 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Never been buzzed? Never had some clown shout "Get off the road!"? Never had someone learn you ride a bike and tell you about how they saw some cyclist blow through a light in front of them? If you've never experienced those, well you've lived a blessed life..
Those challenges aren't unique to cyclists. Simply being an adult in the world exposes you t o people who are inconsiderate, rude, and occasionally dangerous.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 05-23-23, 01:09 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
It's a hell of a lot easier to be a dick to someone or bully and abuse them if you've considered them less than human. How relativist do you want to be here? Someone can be an apologist for even the worst possible behavior, does that disqualify the use of the term "dehumanizing"?
I think that oftentimes drivers are distracted/oblivious/ignorant. Then yes there are obviously some who like to F with cyclists. There are countless instances of people almost hitting me when I am in a car, and ive been hit a few times. I dont think they are dehumanizing me either. They are just making mistakes. Big mistakes, but mistakes nonetheless.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 05-23-23, 01:49 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by genejockey
I can't agree, because somebody running you off the road because he sees you as part of a hated outgroup has zero to do with how you feel about it.
True, and your view makes sense. I totally see it as valid. Im just saying that what actually matters is the perception of the person who is impacted. If they view it as 'well that guy is a dick', then that is very different from 'that person dehumanized me!'...at least those are different in my mind.
Its simply a matter of when and how we see ourselves as victims. And this isnt shaming anyone who sees themself as a victim more than I see myself as a victim, it really is just a conversation about the reality that we all have varying levels of acceptance and patience.
Again though- you viewing that as dehumanizing is totally cool and if you said that to me on a ride, I wouldnt disagree or even think you are wrong. Its how you view a situation that has many factors.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 05-23-23, 01:59 PM
bbbean 

Originally Posted by jon c.
But I don't see that there is or necessarily should be a natural alliance among all people who ride bikes. In what way would riders be allied? There aren't really goals all riders are working towards.
I respectfully disagree. Everyone who rides a bike wants to be able to get to their destination safely. Regardless of whether you're a MTBer shredding trails, or a guy with DUIs who has to commute by bike till you get your license back, you need to be able to safely get from point A to point B. We may disagree on the best way to do that, and there are a host of side issues some of us care about that others don't (A roadie doesn't worry too much about trail building, for instance).

I do agree with one aspect of the video. Some non-cyclists (people who don't ride bike, whatever) have an irrational dislike against people who ride bikes. Its worth noting that people have all sorts of irrational dislikes, including bias based on politics, religion, race, gender, geography, appearance, even favorite sports teams or regional foods. We will never achieve universal tolerance of cycling, much less enthusiastic acceptance or endorsement. But if we don't spend our time fueling the cause of the anti(insert preferred term here)s by attacking each other, we'll get much closer.

Of course, 99+% of my cycling is trouble free. Most drivers are safe, most cops leave me alone, most dogs are friendly, and most roads are adequate for my needs. I'm not going to focus so much attention on the 1% that cause trouble that I lose the enjoyment of the other 99%.

BB

Old 05-23-23, 02:05 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Those challenges aren't unique to cyclists. Simply being an adult in the world exposes you t o people who are inconsiderate, rude, and occasionally dangerous.

Who said being dehumanized for one characteristic or another was unique to cyclists? What is unique to cycling is communing with the much larger vehicles driven by these people on the road.
Old 05-23-23, 02:05 PM
bbbean 

Originally Posted by daihard
What I ask myself (and you and others) is, what can we do to create a society where people can safely travel regardless of their means of transport, without suffering from the kind of harassment and assault highlighted in the video. In a society like that, it really won't matter whether you're a "cyclist" or just a person riding a bike..
Step one: Make more friends than enemies.

Old 05-23-23, 02:14 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I think that oftentimes drivers are distracted/oblivious/ignorant. Then yes there are obviously some who like to F with cyclists. There are countless instances of people almost hitting me when I am in a car, and ive been hit a few times. I dont think they are dehumanizing me either. They are just making mistakes. Big mistakes, but mistakes nonetheless.

I'm not talking about mistakes. I've definitely been treated with obvious hostility and aggression, and it's quite a different experience than dealing with someone who isn't in control of a machine that can squash you.

I've talked to several cyclists who have moved to this state from other places, and we all agree that the level of driver hostility is way worse than anything we've seen elsewhere.
Old 05-23-23, 02:23 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

I'm not talking about mistakes. I've definitely been treated with obvious hostility and aggression, and it's quite a different experience than dealing with someone who isn't in control of a machine that can squash you.

I've talked to several cyclists who have moved to this state from other places, and we all agree that the level of driver hostility is way worse than anything we've seen elsewhere.
Ok, noted. And in all seriousness, that has to be really frustrating and concerning.
...but I responded to the OP with honesty and have only continued to cite my view and experience. I am not sure why you and one or two others are so worked up over me responding based on my experiences. I fully believe your experiences and accept how you view everything related to this topic- hostility, intent, ignorance, dehumanization, etc etc. My experiences are different though, so I posted that.

I didnt just talk about mistakes. I very clearly state this in the second sentence of the post you responded to- I acknowledge there are people who want to F with cyclists for a variety of reasons.
In reality though, some drivers are dangerous to cyclists because they arent paying attention, some are dangerous because they think they are being safe and just wrong due to misjudgement, some are dangerous because they make a poor decision, and some are dangerous because their intent is to be dangerous.

...and we all agree that the level of driver hostility is way worse than anything we've seen elsewhere.
Funny irony time- Dont dehumanize drivers! Treat them all as individuals instead of a collective! <---I am joking, take a breath if you need before correcting me and telling me how I am wrong. Im not totally wrong, but I get that you feel it will be different.
Old 05-23-23, 02:55 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Ok, noted. And in all seriousness, that has to be really frustrating and concerning.
...but I responded to the OP with honesty and have only continued to cite my view and experience. I am not sure why you and one or two others are so worked up over me responding based on my experiences. I fully believe your experiences and accept how you view everything related to this topic- hostility, intent, ignorance, dehumanization, etc etc. My experiences are different though, so I posted that.

I didnt just talk about mistakes. I very clearly state this in the second sentence of the post you responded to- I acknowledge there are people who want to F with cyclists for a variety of reasons.
In reality though, some drivers are dangerous to cyclists because they arent paying attention, some are dangerous because they think they are being safe and just wrong due to misjudgement, some are dangerous because they make a poor decision, and some are dangerous because their intent is to be dangerous.

Funny irony time- Dont dehumanize drivers! Treat them all as individuals instead of a collective! <---I am joking, take a breath if you need before correcting me and telling me how I am wrong. Im not totally wrong, but I get that you feel it will be different.
Relax, I'm neither worked up or going after you. I just disagreed with what you said about dehumanization and you seem to be discussing that civilly with me and others.

And no irony here, I'm fully aware that it's the small minority of drivers who act in this way, it's just that we've all been surprised by how many more of them there are in this state as compared to other states we've ridden in.
Old 05-23-23, 03:24 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Not just bikes probably thinks that unless you know what “partypace” is you aren’t a cyclist. If you are filled with the “spirit of Gravel” then you’re definitely a cyclist even if not going PartyPace.

not going to watch the video, but I’d bet my left knut that he doesn’t identify as a cyclist but instead someone who rides bikes or something. Ironic, considering he literally rides bicycles for a living, he’s a professional cyclist by any stretch.
Old 05-23-23, 03:38 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Step one: Make more friends than enemies.
If you mean helping more people understand how people on bike behave in general and therefore become less aggressive towards them, I agree it is a good goal. The dilemma is, in order for that to happen, we need more people to bike regularly, but for THAT to happen, we need safer bike infrastructure, including separated bike path, redesigned roads, etc. Then you hit the roadblock that says "Why need such infrastructure when so few people bike?"

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 05-23-23, 04:07 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
not going to watch the video, but I’d bet my left knut that he doesn’t identify as a cyclist but instead someone who rides bikes or something. Ironic, considering he literally rides bicycles for a living, he’s a professional cyclist by any stretch.
Thank you for letting us know that your false assumptions are based completely on your own willful ignorance.
Old 05-23-23, 04:32 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Seems like we have a lot of philosophers and psychological types here.

I do not know the word for it but when I ride my recumbent, nobody buzzes me, grudge passes me, or does anything other than give me the lane. Maybe it is stickers on the tailbox or their perception that I am disabled but the difference in how motorists treat me on the bent vs the upright is mind blowing, there is probably a fancy word for it. I dunno
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 05-23-23, 06:04 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz

not going to watch the video, but I’d bet my left knut….
Are you willing to add $5 to that bet? I’m sure that was the line you were thinking of.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.