Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

2018 racing stories

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-18, 01:15 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
It wasn't the difficulty though, normally I'd suck it up and keep pedaling hard. My head's just kinda weirdly foggy right now and I'm trying to figure out how to deal with it. I still really like riding my bike so I'm not thinking it is burnout, but I'm not getting the usual butterflies I get when thinking about races, or well, I guess most things. Bikes would be easier without the real life part between races!
Sounds like either a plateau or over-training, or both.

Fwiw I don't really get the butterflies unless it's Nationals or some big race anymore. What keeps me motivated is that top step.

my race videos
Old 06-11-18, 01:32 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Could be. I've had such a **** year with training through health issues that I haven't felt like I've raced while in good form. It wouldn't be surprising if it's getting to me mentally even if I'm essentially on par physically. There's definitely a yogi berra quote about this.
Old 06-11-18, 05:21 PM
arai_speed

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did CBR #7 (socal - industrial park) Cat 4 event.

Felt good coming into the race. I've had crappy fitness lately but all was well in the day. Race was typical, fast AF, coast, repeat. Some wheel touches and bumping but nobody went down. Last lap I had ****ty field position and with 2 corners to go I decided to bring it home safe as I didn't feel like sprinting for 58th.
Old 06-11-18, 07:38 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
Man, I am mentally checked out at the moment. I dropped out of yesterday's race because I didn't feel like playing. It's not that I don't like it, I just don't care one way or the other and am finding it hard to focus. I feel like it's related to non-bike life? How do y'all get out of these sorts of funks?
Lose the numbers for a week or two. Figure out why you like riding your bike. I was coming into something like this recently and after some time away from the road (MTB), I went out on a group ride with some buddies and we just hammered. No BS or drama, just a clear your head ride. Once you find the love for the sport again, pick a goal and commit to it.

This happened with running for me too when I did that. Had to take a mental break from the watch/paced workouts and just go for a trail run to remember why I liked it.
Old 06-12-18, 11:48 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I think Ttoc6 has the right idea. Leave the Garmin at home (or at least stick it in your jersey pocket) and just go for a ride. Ride to the coffee shop, ride with your kids/significant other, ride the group ride, ride to ride.
Old 06-12-18, 07:30 PM
joe2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did my first race today, cat 5 on a one-turn (the highest point) course of 500m with 7 starters, 20 minutes. I think I got 6th but since we had A and B riders sit in I was not sure who was actually ahead of me. I started too fast and ate wind in the first 5 laps that I didnt need to. I held it together in the first half, but when I lost focus on the downhill while drafting I saw that we had a 15m gap and gaining. In retrospect I needed to recognize the move at the lead in to the corner so I could stay on the main group. There was one other rider to work with, but neither of us had the fitness to push for a break. The finish is at the top of the rise so I put in a dig up the hill with 2 to go and make a gap, but underestimated how much you really need to push the last lap, and got beat on the "sprint". It was not what you would call great racing but wow was it a blast. It helps that the group is really supportive and the series is well established and well run.

EDIT: first post, hi everyone, I've been reading for a while

Last edited by joe2; 06-12-18 at 07:31 PM. Reason: first post
Old 06-12-18, 08:18 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Originally Posted by joe2
Did my first race today, cat 5 on a one-turn (the highest point) course of 500m with 7 starters, 20 minutes. I think I got 6th but since we had A and B riders sit in I was not sure who was actually ahead of me. I started too fast and ate wind in the first 5 laps that I didnt need to. I held it together in the first half, but when I lost focus on the downhill while drafting I saw that we had a 15m gap and gaining. In retrospect I needed to recognize the move at the lead in to the corner so I could stay on the main group. There was one other rider to work with, but neither of us had the fitness to push for a break. The finish is at the top of the rise so I put in a dig up the hill with 2 to go and make a gap, but underestimated how much you really need to push the last lap, and got beat on the "sprint". It was not what you would call great racing but wow was it a blast. It helps that the group is really supportive and the series is well established and well run.

Welcome dude. On the right track here. Learn something from every race! Sounds like an interesting course, happen to have a pic of the map? Interested to see if it's like a course I sued to race back in SEA.
Old 06-13-18, 07:36 AM
joe2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
happen to have a pic of the map?
Here is the course map. The corner is at the top of the hill, which meant the pace was super slow through it during the C race. And with only one corner the lap was typically won by whoever jumped through it fastest. I think our pace was 55 seconds per lap.
Attached Images
File Type: png
critmap.png (680.4 KB, 552 views)
Old 06-13-18, 08:20 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Sounds like a great first race @joe2. Next step is to get out there and do it again!

One of the best things about bike racing: every race is a new experience and every time you can learn something new. And you can (hopefully) race a lot.
Old 06-13-18, 11:46 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by joe2

Excellent job, and you are well ahead of the game by noticing these things that aren't really noticeable in training or group rides, but are super important in a race.
Old 06-13-18, 12:57 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I miss racing. Surefire cure for burnout is to have it taken away while you await a possible suspension!
Old 06-15-18, 10:31 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Citrus Twilights - 8/20

Very tight course, not even a kilometer long with a slight incline. Its basically 20s and you're into a wide 180 corner. It was a double file rolling start and I rolled out in the back which meant by the time I passed the slower riders I was already down a few seconds and never really caught the lead group of 6 (a solo rider won of the break). I'd gain a few seconds on the uphill, and lose that time in the corners and downhill. That's fixable, especially since the course is 3 miles from my house.

I've never been good at crits, but this is the SCNCA so I'm going to have to figure it out.

I should have done better, I just need to be more aggressive at the start. Seven more of these, so hopefully I can get a result.

Last edited by furiousferret; 06-15-18 at 11:16 PM.
Old 06-16-18, 07:17 AM
rubiksoval

Definitely fixable. When I restarted racing I'd go into every corner trying to figure out how I could take it a little faster the next time. One thing I rediscovered that helped a lot when in the group was braking a bit earlier and then letting off the brakes, so it initially opened up a bike length gap or two, and then not hit the brakes again so I'd come into the corner a bit faster than the guy in front of me who would brake later, and then exiting the turn I'd be basically ride up into his slip stream. Our Wed. night series has a big 180 and that's what I do sometimes and it helps a lot.

The biggest hindrance for me is when I come up to a corner faster than the guy in front of me and have to scrub speed at the last second. Then the person in front of me is carrying more speed than I am out of the corner so a gap opens and I have to sprint to get back up to speed and on to the wheel. That gets tough to do repeatedly, so if that starts happening I try to find a new spot in the group or a better wheel or maybe start hitting an inside/outside line to go around people.
Old 06-16-18, 01:11 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Put down nearly 5.3 for 23:00 minutes and took seventh in a non aero class of a TT. Gotta learn to hide from the wind better.

Last edited by gsteinb; 06-16-18 at 02:21 PM.
Old 06-16-18, 03:39 PM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Definitely fixable. When I restarted racing I'd go into every corner trying to figure out how I could take it a little faster the next time. One thing I rediscovered that helped a lot when in the group was braking a bit earlier and then letting off the brakes, so it initially opened up a bike length gap or two, and then not hit the brakes again so I'd come into the corner a bit faster than the guy in front of me who would brake later, and then exiting the turn I'd be basically ride up into his slip stream. Our Wed. night series has a big 180 and that's what I do sometimes and it helps a lot.

The biggest hindrance for me is when I come up to a corner faster than the guy in front of me and have to scrub speed at the last second. Then the person in front of me is carrying more speed than I am out of the corner so a gap opens and I have to sprint to get back up to speed and on to the wheel. That gets tough to do repeatedly, so if that starts happening I try to find a new spot in the group or a better wheel or maybe start hitting an inside/outside line to go around people.
this this this

i like to think "slow while entering the corner, accelerate through the corner"
Old 06-16-18, 06:50 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

3 day omnium this weekend. Thursday night, Friday afternoon, Saturday morning. Circuit race, crit, RR.

Circuit race was too dead flat and too dead wind to be able to make anything happen despite nearly everyone trying. Bunch sprint, probably like 10th. Hung out in town, slept in my car had a huge breakfast and watched world cup to prep for the crit.

Crit was a show. I missed clip, was tail gunning then got caught in a crash less than 10 minutes. Flipped over a dude and landed square on my chin and said **** it I'm going home. Had planned to sleep in my car to avoid driving back and forth but oh well.
3 crashes in less than two months was getting to me. 24 hours ago I was ready to quit road racing altogether. Decided I woudn't set an alarm and if I was up in time and felt okay I'd drive to the road race.

Glad I did drive to the RR cuz I ended up second by some miracle. Played it stupid chasing a a break for 25 miles, not making it then going solo for the final climb. Rode the whole thing alone with no one in sight. Rounding the last hair pin some yelled I had a chaser coming in hot. I gave it all I had, but got nipped at the line with less than 20m to go. Frustrating but I gave it all I had on the climb. Paced it wrong and suffered the last 5 minutes or so. (thought it was a 20 min climb, more like 30). The junior who beat me deserves the win though. He was active in the group during the flats and closed a 1minute gap in less than a k to beat me. So, more power to him. I'll take my 30 bucks and upgrade points.
Old 06-16-18, 07:25 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
@Ttoc6, sweet on the road race finish.

I was ready to quit TTing after the State TT, I can’t prep for a race without a fixed date and it’s pointless for me to train for months for a race that gets cancelled in the end.

Then three days later, I did a fun race and felt totally differently.
Old 06-16-18, 08:44 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
40-44 masters nats RR was today - it was really hot. suuuuuper humid. (Georgia)

Thunderstorms had been forecast off and on for the race, but day-of the forecast was clear.

Two laps in (out of 5), it starting POURING, with lots of thunder & lightning. They stopped the race so we could hide in our cars, etc. Almost got blown over while riding to the car.

Restarted after 45 mins, cut a lap and had two to go. Overall it was a really easy race for me, since I didn't really care about the result and just sat in the whole time. Which everyone else seemed to do (save for one or two guys), it was a weird dynamic where nobody really wanted to race except for a few spurts and the last time up the finish climb.

Came in 21st, buddy got 1st so that was neat.

On to the main event (for me) tomorrow, the crit!!

my race videos
Old 06-16-18, 09:14 PM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm

Thunderstorms had been forecast off and on for the race, but day-of the forecast was clear.

Two laps in (out of 5), it starting POURING, with lots of thunder & lightning. They stopped the race so we could hide in our cars, etc. Almost got blown over while riding to the car.

Restarted after 45 mins, cut a lap and had two to go. Overall it was a really easy race for me, since I didn't really care about the result and just sat in the whole time. Which everyone else seemed to do (save for one or two guys), it was a weird dynamic where nobody really wanted to race except for a few spurts and the last time up the finish climb.

Sounds crazy. Hard to turn it back on after that long of a delay.

Stoked for BZ .. such a good guy.
Old 06-16-18, 10:46 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
That's nuts. I'd be too tired for a crit after a road race!

I did red kite 2/3 on the Pleasanton course. Same wide open course as last week but opposite direction.

Figured I'd give being aggressive a shot. Raced hard then teammate got in a small break. Then the break got way too big and I missed the bridge. 10 guys. With like 4 from one big team. Thought I'd bridge after this hard effort, but the break was moving faster. Just wanted to get in a good workout and see how hard I could ride now. Attacked and pulled what felt like half the rest of the race. Timed a 1.5 lap move well and got away with one guy who refused to pull through after half a lap. So I slowed down and he still refused and the pack was moving in so I just said what the heck and went all out and led them out.

Fun to work hard and gain a bit of confidence in my strength but sucks that I somehow missed that critical bridge. Teammate got 3rd, big team won, and a race buddy on his own team got 2nd just before he goes off for TOAD.

I ended up doing a slight NP busting race and felt good all the way up to the final lap.

Last edited by aaronmcd; 06-17-18 at 01:35 AM.
Old 06-17-18, 06:43 AM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by Ttoc6
Glad I did drive to the RR cuz I ended up second by some miracle. Played it stupid chasing a a break for 25 miles, not making it then going solo for the final climb. Rode the whole thing alone with no one in sight. Rounding the last hair pin some yelled I had a chaser coming in hot. I gave it all I had, but got nipped at the line with less than 20m to go. Frustrating but I gave it all I had on the climb. Paced it wrong and suffered the last 5 minutes or so. (thought it was a 20 min climb, more like 30). The junior who beat me deserves the win though. He was active in the group during the flats and closed a 1minute gap in less than a k to beat me. So, more power to him. I'll take my 30 bucks and upgrade points.
Nice job. Glad you got back out there and pulled a result.

Such an up and down sport!!!
Old 06-17-18, 06:44 AM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by mattm

Sounds bonkers! I was looking for results all day, then saw some tents and stuff got blown over and the race delayed and all. Yikes. Good luck today!
Old 06-17-18, 08:39 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,449 Posts
@mattm Southeast weather. Yeck. Good luck on the crit.
Old 06-17-18, 03:45 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
The guy who’s been my primary local rival forever won our age group crit at nats today.
Old 06-17-18, 07:06 PM
rubiksoval

There were 23 dudes in the 35-39 crit? 23? Really? That's...a shame. They oughta reduce some categories or something. The reg. numbers look pretty sad for a national championship.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.