Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 12-29-18, 09:44 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 2,957 Times in 1,571 Posts
solid @mattm

On Saturday the 22nd I was in similar straights. Today I'm at 90 CTL and +23 TSB, about to head out on a 3 hr EZ MTB ride. Tomorrow I'll cap off this rest week with a 2 hr z1/2 ride with a few opener efforts for an FTP test on Monday. Then it's back at it!

I'm excited as ever to train and win more races. CTL is up, and body weight is down compared to normal. I typically sit at 155-160, right now I'm routinely clocking out at 150 or under. I think it's a combination of scaling back my upper body workouts and increased volume on the bike. Either way I'm poised to be bit and earn some more points next year!
Old 12-29-18, 10:00 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked 2,438 Times in 1,425 Posts
I woke up this AM to 40 degrees in La Jolla. Yikes. Okay. It is going to warm up. I will not see @TMonk off road but I will be on Torrey Pines doing hill repeats.
Old 12-29-18, 10:20 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Just got back from visiting the family at SF. Did one ride there, but my wife got buzzed by a car (but not really) and was done so it was short. Still have 9 more days off but the vacation portion is basically done, so 2019 training starts tomorrow.
Old 12-30-18, 09:13 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
4 hours in the foothills with a great group of teammates. Brought my son and he was hanging with the big guys all day. I’m whipped but content.
Old 12-30-18, 10:22 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
4 hours today with some teammates, about 17 for the week.

ctl was 37 back on 11/24 when I started training for 2019, v glad to see the blue line go up! (at 70 now)

really need to rest tomorrow.
Old 01-01-19, 01:31 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Alpine skied rel as tivrlybhard yesterday with an old friend. Sore legs for the bye party and then ate a drank a lot.

Today was the first win of 2019 at the local 5k in my parents neighborhood. I got 3rd last year I think but I lead the entire thing this year. The talented hs and college kids didnt show up this year, but I'm still gonna tick off the w.
Old 01-01-19, 08:54 PM
furiousferret

Grats @Ttoc6!

It didn't get out of the 40's today and the winds were 25-40 mph so yeah... I Zwifted today. Probably will be indoors all week.
Old 01-01-19, 08:56 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
I've been gone for a couple of months, been busy running. My goal event was to be a local half marathon and the build to it went well, with a pause when my back went bonkers on me but was taken care of by several visits to a chiropractor. Race day came and with it an unusually heavy rainstorm which resulted in the race's first cancellation. I was ticked. My goal was to do it under two hours - hey, it was my first try. The weather cleared and the streets drained and a group of folks who were similarly frustrated ran the course the next day. I made it in 2:05, talking all the way with the other folks, so it wasn't race pace. I still felt like I hadn't completed what I wanted to do and didn't want to see three months of training not culminate in something, so I registered for a 20-mile trail race the following Saturday. That was an unplanned stretch goal - I'd never run that far in my life. It was cool that it was on my 67th birthday. I surprised myself by taking my age group (60-69). Time was 3:57; I must add that my watch called it 17.8 miles. Apparently running most of it in thick woods messes with the GPS reception and shows less distance. I found a new room in the pain cave on that run.

I took a couple of weeks off, watched as my TSB went way positive and didn't care. The few rides I've done prompted my coach to bump my FTP down from 260 to 241, which hurt my ego but was the right thing to do - running legs are NOT cycling legs. Nose officially returned to grindstone last weekend when I did the first fast group ride in a long time...and was OTB about 15 minutes from the end when I ran out of hard accelerations. It'll take a little while to dig myself out of this hole, but it'll happen. I also have to lose the six pounds I gained since LOTOJA - if you're a runner and eat like a cyclist, that's what happens.

It's good to be back on the bike! (Even though I have another half marathon on February 2.)

Demain, on roule!
Old 01-01-19, 09:34 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

@revchuck Welcome back and props on your running.
Old 01-01-19, 09:55 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Sunday was a 2 hour tempo ride and today was Fiesta on the TT bike. Sprinters warmup, accelerations and jumps and then 20' (3'/2') over under.

On Saturday, we parked our car so that we could start our ride from a bike path and use it as a warmup to set up threshold hill repeats. Another couple parked in front of us and was using the location as a starting point for a ride. We ran into the same couple on Fiesta. So we decided to introduce ourselves since we are sharing the same venues. They are triathletes that were on a 100 mile ride on their TT bikes. Yowsa yowsa yowsa. They were 20 miles in with the wind picking up. Nice couple and great that we had a chance to chat.

Last edited by Hermes; 01-02-19 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-02-19, 12:06 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
I did some TT work last week, on the trainer. Coffee ride one day. Then after working extra days over Christmas I had five days off. Awesome.

Three of those days were devoted to Dachshund stuff, a day of Earthdog (simulated hunting in tunnels) and two days of Field Trialing (quarry = rabbits). My little doxie rocked it, even though neither of us have a clue. Her first ever field trial and she made the podium- 4th place, which got her 4.25 of the 35 points she needs for a field trial Championship.

I knew we were doing the field trials for awhile but with the pre Christmas rush, I hadn’t read the premiums. Told coach to schedule me an hour of trainer work each morning, thinking I’d do it before I left. Nope, had to be there at 7am which meant leaving home at 5am. And no way could I do a workout after, I didn’t realize that when you’re not running your dog, you’re out there in field, beating brush all day to chase up rabbits for the other dogs. So I had three days off the bike but not exactly rest.

Had not much to do besides ride on Monday and Tuesday but decided I needed to get the missed TT workouts from the weekend done. Headed out to my local TT course and did both weekend’s workouts on Monday. Went well despite having somewhat trashed legs from all the field trial traipsing. Windy, so I specifically wanted to ride the course with a big headwind for one leg.

Today I just wanted to get in a fun ride on the mountain bike but the wind forecast was for 20-30 mph winds, with gusts 40-60 mph. I almost bailed but decided to head into a pair of Canyons which would be sheltered. Glad I did, it was a beautiful morning and a great start to a new year. 10 miles/2000 ft climbing. Tired legs and a TT workout on the trainer tomorrow.

Old 01-02-19, 12:45 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Been running a bit, about 1.5 hours a week. Some indoor rides, some GCN show videos. A couple 1 to 1.5 hour hard rides around town with a couple failed KOM tries.

Did a TT bike ride at lunch today and just could not "get after it". Too much tire pressure on a pretty bumpy road and just enough wind to cause a novice to constantly back off the throttle. Should have had half a brain to pop the valve stem and let out just a touch, but didn't.

One of those roads that in a car you hear going (ba dump, ba dump, ba dump) every few seconds. Plus a few potholes and a piece of roadkill.

But.....the watts/mph or CdA is looking better than the road bike with clip ons (and TT helmet) versus the TT bike (without TT helmet). Also, at the same power level in TT position, looks like the HR is down about 10bpm from 7 months ago.

It's really lame, but I'm going to use the long lonely and flattish greenway in the country to practice the TT stuff. Gain some confidence in the position and handling before using the bumpy country roads near my work. I say lonely in that it's far enough from entrances you don't have kids or runners really.
Old 01-02-19, 05:52 PM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Racing is in like ... 4 weeks. I’m outta shape, so I crammed as much as I could over the past holiday weekend. Currently at -90 TSB with cement legs.
Old 01-02-19, 05:55 PM
mattm
**** that

Originally Posted by hack
Racing is in like ... 4 weeks. I’m outta shape, so I crammed as much as I could over the past holiday weekend. Currently at -90 TSB with cement legs.
You've been doing some big rides!

-90 TSB, ouch.. I don't think I've ever gotten that deep.

my race videos
Old 01-02-19, 06:55 PM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
You've been doing some big rides!

-90 TSB, ouch.. I don't think I've ever gotten that deep.
The weather has been great, so I felt obligated to take advantage. The TSB is a little inflated because I should kick my FTP up a few watts.
Old 01-02-19, 06:57 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

I'm SoCal soft... A 38 degree start at dawn wasn't looking too hot so I chose not to force it and drank hot liquids for another 1/2 hour before heading out for 2.5 z2/3 instead. Chatted it up with @wktmeow for a bit up to Torrey then turned around.
Old 01-02-19, 07:08 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

FTP test Monday didn't go quite as well as I wanted (5 watts off target) but I was pleased with the effort. Body weight is down.
MTB ride New Years Day, 2.25 in total with a lot of climbing below Mt. Baldy. Some awesome climbs.
2.5 hrs z2/3 this morning
off tomorrow
Another 2.5 of MTB Friday
7 hrs road ride Saturday, going for 120+ miles.

Next week (and the following) I'm switching gears a bit and throwing in some intensity and group rides. Racing starts in Feb. Let's get some points!
Old 01-03-19, 12:56 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Did a true "brick" today. Got of the trainer, laced up and got on the treadmill. Not a race pace, but 260w for 10mi TT time range, then ran/walked the 5k. The HR for the run was really low. I'm not a runner, so the legs weren't having any of that nonsense.

But, for an hour workout a great killer of some winter calories and grow that aerobic engine on the short time I've got.
Old 01-03-19, 02:52 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
They say that you're supposed to do on New Year's Day what you want to be doing all year, so I rode my bike. My coach reset my FTP in Training Peaks but I haven't done it on my Garmin, so the 3:20 ride showed as 155 TSS on the Garmin but came up 188 on TP. I did a 30-minute run yesterday, today is a day off. Since my half marathon went from the "maybe" to the "definitely" category, future runs are going to be 60-90 minutes.

Two hour endurance pace ride tomorrow in barely-above-freezing temps, 60' run Saturday before work, then I'm going to my local hilly course to do my first climbing since LoToJa. My first goal event is the Texas RAAM Challenge, it looks like this. I've got 11 weeks to get ready.

Demain, on roule!
Old 01-03-19, 04:01 PM
furiousferret

Didn't sleep well so rode easy, which puts me in a conundrum because I'll be fresh on Friday but should do the Saturday ride. Supposedly Raincross is setting records for crashing though, and its going to be in the 30's...and I despise riding with large groups. Its the only real race simulation this time of year though.

I much prefer riding with 2-3 people or solo. Anything over 5 forms a pack mentality where certain individuals just make things uncomfortable.
Old 01-03-19, 05:34 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
5 (5'+5") over unders at lunch time today. TSB is coming up!
Old 01-03-19, 06:07 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Threshold climbing on Soledad Mountain. I did a 5 minute FTP climb up Cardeno and then an 8 minute 110% climb up La Jolla Mesa. Boy is that steep. It reminded me of climbing in New Zealand but it was easy to make more power. Hey, maybe it is my ideal climbing grade.

I capped off the efforts with a climb up Soledad at 108%. The weather was perfect for climbing threshold efforts.
Old 01-03-19, 10:32 PM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
4x8' part way up Soledad. Felt better than I thought I would, considering I've been riding some big volume since Saturday. Consistent 305-310 for the first three, then 312 for the last one going all out at the end. Sitting at 11 hours for the week so far, finally a recovery day tomorrow, group ride Saturday, big gear Sunday. Oof. But if I don't get sick I should be riding on a good wave of fitness into team camp and hopefully on to the early season races.

Also I'm really stoked that I'm finally able to hold back and pace these efforts with less ego. I tend to try to go for my mid season power during the first one, struggle real bad on the 2nd, and more often than I like to admit, bail on 3 and 4 and just go home. Now I set a conservative target for the first two, and go extra hard on the last one with any gas I have left.
Old 01-05-19, 08:04 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Back in Ogden and spent all day on the snow. 5 hours back country skiing, most of that spent skinning and half an hour skating to get my ski legs back under me
Old 01-05-19, 09:47 PM
mattm
**** that

4 hours in the rain today with a teammate.

It was great!

my race videos

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.