Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

In case of emergency...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

In case of emergency...

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-19, 03:28 PM
Marci

Bikes: My Day 6, Big Red.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
I always carry my phone. I can carry 3 cards inside the slot on my phone case. My ID, bank card, and insurance card. The phone is not locked so if needed they can call. I am strict about where my phone is, it is to be with me at all times. I got a fancy bag for it, one you can see thru.
Old 01-21-19, 11:05 PM
cygnussailor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the "Road ID" bracelet and App. I wear the bracelet 100% of the time. It has relevant medical information on it for emergency responders in any medical emergency. The app tracks my location in real time and will send out an alarm to designated contacts if I don't move for 5 minutes. It gives a one minute window to cancel the alarm if you are OK. If the alarm is sent your contacts can call to see if you are OK. If they don't get a response they can look at the map to see your precise location. They can then direct emergency personnel to that location or drive there themselves.

Gary Harkins
Old 01-22-19, 01:26 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18354 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
A few years ago, it was recommended to program a phone number into your phone listed as "ICE + Name" for "In Case of Emergency, as well as identifying who the emergency contact is.

I have that in my cell phone, but I'm not sure about my bike phone.
Old 01-22-19, 10:11 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by EdGear
I'm cautious about tracking apps because they could run down the phone battery.
The app I use doesn't seem to run down the battery much, but for longer rides I take a portable phone charger battery pack along just in case. I also tend to turn off the phone's screen to save power and I usually can't see it well anyway in bright sunlight.
Old 01-22-19, 10:15 AM
Milton Keynes

With regards to personal information, I created a card with all my info on it and emergency contact information with my wife's number to carry in my bike wallet, which is a thin, nylon two-pocket wallet I used many years ago to hold my military ID. I simply printed out the information on a piece of card stock, cut it out, and slipped it into one of the clear plastic windows. This should help but I still think a RoadID or similar bracelet on my wrist is a good idea.
Old 01-22-19, 10:33 AM
SepedaMark
Biking in Batavia

Bikes: Jean Brun, Roubaix Pro (cracked), Volagi Viaje (cracked), Cannondale Six, waiting for a Niner RLT9

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These are all good ideas and great use of technology. I too bike with copies of ID in my jersey pockets etc.
However, I live and bike where ICE services are nowhere near as developed as the US. To help "first-responders" (probably motorists or farmers) I used a permanent marker to write vital info -- my name, address, wife's cell, my birthdate and blood type -- on the outside of my helmet.
The helmet cannot be missed, and the info is directly visible.
A Scandinavian guy came up with the idea -- which seems eminently practical -- and is trying to get people to adopt the idea. Not a guarantee and not covering every scenario, but a bit of graffiti on my helmet seems a small "price" to pay for at least a basic ID.
Ride safe.
Old 01-22-19, 10:42 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
A few years ago, it was recommended to program a phone number into your phone listed as "ICE + Name" for "In Case of Emergency, as well as identifying who the emergency contact is.

I have that in my cell phone, but I'm not sure about my bike phone.
I do this. But I have my phone locked down with privacy settings so I'm not sure anyone would be able to access my ICE contact...

Reading this post makes me think I need to pick up an Road ID bracelet again.
Old 01-22-19, 12:42 PM
cygnussailor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RidingMatthew
i use it for my commute to and from work. So it runs give or take about an hour both ways. Sometimes if going for a longer recreational ride I will run it but sometimes not. I do wish that there was a way to share location with someone specific. I tried to figure out Find my friends app but I could not get it to work or be easy to turn on and off. I might need to do more research for the longer rides. I do tell her where I am going and we have driven most of my commuting routes.
Road ID allows your contacts to track you in real time and to be able to tell your location should you fall and not be able to move for 5 minutes (stationary for 5 minutes or more). You have to be careful to cancel the stationary alert if there is no emergency. I use a 12000mah external battery that only weighs a couple of ounces and keep it in my bike bag with a charge cord running to the phone. It will keep the phone at 100% for at least 12 hours even with the screen on all the time. I also use "Map My Ride" to preplot rides that I can then follow, turn-by-turn, on the phone screen, again this is only possible on longer rides because of the external battery.

Gary Harkins
Old 01-22-19, 12:56 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
Originally Posted by FBOATSB
If you carry a phone first responders can access emergency info on it even if it is locked.
Even tho my cell is locked.....pressing any button will activate the main screen with "ICE xxx-xxx-xxxx"
Old 01-22-19, 07:39 PM
daleb116

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great thread, thanks everyone. I like the idea of the wrist band.
Old 01-22-19, 08:04 PM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by SepedaMark
These are all good ideas and great use of technology. I too bike with copies of ID in my jersey pockets etc.
However, I live and bike where ICE services are nowhere near as developed as the US. To help "first-responders" (probably motorists or farmers) I used a permanent marker to write vital info -- my name, address, wife's cell, my birthdate and blood type -- on the outside of my helmet.
The helmet cannot be missed, and the info is directly visible.
A Scandinavian guy came up with the idea -- which seems eminently practical -- and is trying to get people to adopt the idea. Not a guarantee and not covering every scenario, but a bit of graffiti on my helmet seems a small "price" to pay for at least a basic ID.
Ride safe.
That also doesn't seem like a bad idea. I've got a fine point permanent marker, maybe there's a decent spot on my helmet I could write it. The thing is, will first responders notice it?

*edit* Rather than write it in permanent marker, I made a sticker to put on my helmet with all my personal and emergency contact info and put it on the side of my helmet. It's sure to get noticed and is easier to read than my chicken scratch. I just typed up the information and printed it on a vinyl label so the ink won't run. As long as my helmet is still attached to my head and my head is still attached to my shoulders, they should notice it.

Last edited by Milton Keynes; 01-22-19 at 08:40 PM.
Old 01-26-19, 12:51 PM
zweitesmal2

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Well I've never carried any form of ID on the bicycle. I never saw the point as i'd be sent to the hospital regardless. I have a house key in my seat bag but don't want my address in there as well, in case of theft. I suppose the cell phone contact # is the only option I'd be willing to do- it's just too hot here in Texas to wear cheap jewelry. A photocopy of my ID in the phone case is also a good idea. Thanks for the topic; it's made me think on it.
Old 01-26-19, 06:02 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by RidingMatthew
how do you do this? i use the free road id app to share my location with my SO but not sure if there is something better.
Maybe this gets answered later in this thread and I haven't gotten there yet.. What happens in the event of bicyclist being guilty of traffic violation, police stop him and no ID is available? Goes scott free or are there repercussions for not having ID?
Old 01-26-19, 06:14 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by NoWhammies
I do this. But I have my phone locked down with privacy settings so I'm not sure anyone would be able to access my ICE contact...

Reading this post makes me think I need to pick up an Road ID bracelet again.
I haven't had an android phone in a long time.. but an iPhone's lock screen has an "Emergency" option on the passcode screen. iPhone users anyway should make sure to fill out the Medical info and contact info for this section.
Old 01-26-19, 06:19 PM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Maybe this gets answered later in this thread and I haven't gotten there yet.. What happens in the event of bicyclist being guilty of traffic violation, police stop him and no ID is available? Goes scott free or are there repercussions for not having ID?
You tell the officer your name and address. He can verify by radio or laptop. This link explains these things:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop...ntify_statutes
Old 01-26-19, 06:31 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by FBOATSB
You tell the officer your name and address. He can verify by radio or laptop. This link explains these things:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop...ntify_statutes
Sounds good.. sounds a bit loose, any phone book can provide names and addresses. I'm really just wondering.. I got stopped for red light infraction on a bike, forgot about the ticket and hadn't paid; next thing I know, got a mailed notice that my drivers license was revoked. Gets one thinking about what other ID makes sense to carry (eg. passport card? though this doesn't prove address), or carry none at all, that doesn't have repercussions on drivers license, etc. Can a drivers license similarly be revoked for jaywalking?
Old 01-26-19, 07:07 PM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Sounds good.. sounds a bit loose, any phone book can provide names and addresses. I'm really just wondering.. I got stopped for red light infraction on a bike, forgot about the ticket and hadn't paid; next thing I know, got a mailed notice that my drivers license was revoked. Gets one thinking about what other ID makes sense to carry (eg. passport card? though this doesn't prove address), or carry none at all, that doesn't have repercussions on drivers license, etc. Can a drivers license similarly be revoked for jaywalking?
It seems that they revoked your license just to get you to pay your fine and prevent you from leaving town until you did so. I actually had to surrender a license plate once many years ago due to a fender bender and some insurance issue, I don't remember. But this thread is about if you are hurt/incapacitated and I think you would want everybody involved to know who you are and where you are, so wallet and phone or my wife won't let me go out to play
Old 01-26-19, 11:20 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
I had dog tags made, including meds, have my wife identified as ICE on my cell phone. Also use Strava Beacon so my wife can follow me.. or direct authorities to my remains.

I also have a dog tag on a neck chain and my wife cell phone number on it. Also have a front door key in case I get home and no one is there.
Old 01-26-19, 11:55 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Name and address ought to be sufficient for a traffic stop; they can probably get your DL photo to confirm if it’s you. A passport card would be overkill, unless you regularly have run-ins with INS. Would also be harder to replace than a DL if you were to lose it.

Revoking a DL is a way to get you to pay your (overdue) fines. It’s another fine and a big pain in the butt to get reinstated, so they want to get your attention. If you let it lapse and then something happens, Operating on a Suspended License is a misdemeanor in a lot of places, and you really don’t want to go there.
Old 01-27-19, 03:45 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
File A Flight Plan

I used to think about that too, back when I worked the graveyard shift and I would commute to work. There were some pretty thick brush covered areas along the edge of the road and very little traffic at that hour. I'd always imagine that if I stumbled and fell into thicket it would be days or weeks before somebody came upon my decaying corpse.

I even switched my route to a more frequented path -- even though there was more traffic --to get past it. I also informed my coworker of my route and said that if I didn't show up for work to think the worst and contact the authorities.
Old 01-27-19, 10:47 PM
RockiesDad

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by zweitesmal2
A photocopy of my ID in the phone case is also a good idea. Thanks for the topic; it's made me think on it.
I like this idea the best and easiest to implement. Since most of us carry a cell phone, hopefully in a case, this would work very nicely even if your phone is dead.
Old 01-28-19, 05:36 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by RockiesDad
I like this idea the best and easiest to implement. Since most of us carry a cell phone, hopefully in a case, this would work very nicely even if your phone is dead.
Would anyone routinely think of removing a phone from a case looking for a slip of paper?
Old 01-28-19, 05:42 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
Road ID and my phone has emergency information on the home screen. On the flip side, I am one of the few who if injuries are serious enough, as in dehibilitating/would never walk again/permanent couch potato, just leave me there to die please.
Old 01-28-19, 05:57 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by FlMTNdude
Road ID and my phone has emergency information on the home screen. On the flip side, I am one of the few who if injuries are serious enough, as in dehibilitating/would never walk again/permanent couch potato, just leave me there to die please.
Interesting point raised here, sort of. If one has a documented DNR how does this get communicated to EMT's so they are legally absolved?
Old 01-28-19, 06:55 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
I never go out without my fingerprints, which is what you need to get into my phone.

Failing that, I also never go out without a bank card.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.