Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

New Bike Day

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-20, 05:34 PM
srode1
Gravel Rocks

Bikes: Trek Domane and Crockett, BH G7, Niner RLT9, RLT9 RDO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
New Bike Day

Well, it's actually been ready to ride for a couple weeks but finally got it out for the first ride today - road wheels on it for this spin, not gravel.
2020 RLT 9 RDO home brew

Last edited by srode1; 03-17-20 at 05:39 PM.
Likes For srode1:
Old 03-17-20, 10:45 PM
csrpenfab

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by srode1
Well, it's actually been ready to ride for a couple weeks but finally got it out for the first ride today - road wheels on it for this spin, not gravel.
2020 RLT 9 RDO home brew
Nice Niner! Now go get it dirty!

Likes For csrpenfab:
Old 03-18-20, 09:02 AM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Awesome looking Niner! Congratulations!
Old 03-18-20, 10:06 AM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
2020 RLT 9 RDO home brew
Nice bike! Tell us about the build please!

Dave
Old 03-18-20, 12:47 PM
srode1
Gravel Rocks

Originally Posted by bonsai171
Nice bike! Tell us about the build please!

Dave
Thanks Dave! It's basically a transplant of parts from my RLT9 Aluminum, plus few new parts

GRX Di2 Shifters and brake Calipers (new)
Ultegra 8050 front and rear deraileurs (long cage rear)
Ritchey WCS Evomax Bars with Bontrager gelcork tape (new) and Bontrager RXL Stem
Ultegra chain (new)
Randee Cobb Saddle
Ritchey Flexlogic Seatpost
Rotor 3D 50/34 with power2max powermeter
Road wheels (in the picture, borrowed from another bike of mine) Enve3.4 tubeless Schwalbe Pro1 25mm, and DuraAce 11/28 cassette
Gravel wheels Enve G23 with 11/36 Sram cassette (from the other RLT) Conti Terra speed 40mm tires (new)
Shimano PD-A600 pedals.

With the road wheels and tires / cassette its just under 19 lbs
With the gravel wheels and tires its 19.5 lbs,
both with pedals and bottle cages included

Throwing some more carbon parts in the mix it would get to a half pound lighter for each set up, so 18.5 and 19lbs respectively

I really liked the feel of the 785 shifters on the other bike, the GRX may not be quite as comfortable time will tell. GRX is better feeling than Ultegra and Dura-Ace Di2 to me though. The build does feel lighter than the aluminum version, and rides better with the road tires on it too. Gravel tires probably won't be as noticeable a difference.

Last edited by srode1; 03-18-20 at 12:51 PM.
Old 03-18-20, 05:55 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Thanks Dave! It's basically a transplant of parts from my RLT9 Aluminum, plus few new parts

GRX Di2 Shifters and brake Calipers (new)
Ultegra 8050 front and rear deraileurs (long cage rear)
Ritchey WCS Evomax Bars with Bontrager gelcork tape (new) and Bontrager RXL Stem
Ultegra chain (new)
Randee Cobb Saddle
Ritchey Flexlogic Seatpost
Rotor 3D 50/34 with power2max powermeter
Road wheels (in the picture, borrowed from another bike of mine) Enve3.4 tubeless Schwalbe Pro1 25mm, and DuraAce 11/28 cassette
Gravel wheels Enve G23 with 11/36 Sram cassette (from the other RLT) Conti Terra speed 40mm tires (new)
Shimano PD-A600 pedals.

With the road wheels and tires / cassette its just under 19 lbs
With the gravel wheels and tires its 19.5 lbs,
both with pedals and bottle cages included

Throwing some more carbon parts in the mix it would get to a half pound lighter for each set up, so 18.5 and 19lbs respectively

I really liked the feel of the 785 shifters on the other bike, the GRX may not be quite as comfortable time will tell. GRX is better feeling than Ultegra and Dura-Ace Di2 to me though. The build does feel lighter than the aluminum version, and rides better with the road tires on it too. Gravel tires probably won't be as noticeable a difference.
Sounds like a great bike! Ive heard the RDO and aluminum ride very similarly. Rode my buddy's RDO (2015 model), and that is a pretty sweet ride. Rides even better than my steel mtb. Curious what made you decide to switch from aluminum to carbon?

Dave
Old 03-18-20, 06:51 PM
srode1
Gravel Rocks

Originally Posted by bonsai171
Sounds like a great bike! Ive heard the RDO and aluminum ride very similarly. Rode my buddy's RDO (2015 model), and that is a pretty sweet ride. Rides even better than my steel mtb. Curious what made you decide to switch from aluminum to carbon?

Dave
Good question Dave, To be clear, I really like the RLT 9 Aluminum version - it's the first year model it came out and I built it from the frame up just for my first run at DK200. Never ever road gravel before and a couple friends from Strava all agreed to go do it. Well, I finished fine and was hooked. Finished the next 3 times on that same bike, and it's perfect for it. I have been envious of the newer models for a while because they have the inserts for mounts on the fork, and my older aluminum version does not , but the RDO didn't have as much tire clearance on the rear as the aluminum version until this year when it has more room that my current frame. So that it is about a pound lighter, more tire clearance, and the fork mounts were enough to get me thinking about new RLT 9 RDO frameset for my this years DK200. I got a good deal on the frameset for black Friday and that was enough to push me over the edge and go for it.

BTW, Tire clearance on the old frameset is plenty for 40mm tires but if it get's muddy like it did the mud year, it could be a bit of a problem, the new framesets have 10mm on either side of a 40mm tire on the front which is about all I would want.