Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Video Recording Your Ride?

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 11-06-20, 07:32 PM
Helldorado

Bikes: Cervelo Aspero Apex1x 2020; Giant Escape Disc modified commuter 2021

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 44 Posts

Lets discuss cycling with a video camera. Do you wear a helmet cam or a handlebar cam or a chest cam? Does it make you feel safer? Have you ever recorded something that helped you in any way? Would you recommend a certain camera brand or model to a newbie (like me)?
Old 11-06-20, 10:34 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 161 Posts
I don’t, it would not make me feel safer. It would just maybe help after the fact.
Old 11-06-20, 10:42 PM
Gyro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 49 Posts
Gopro 6, handlebar. Safer no. It 's not going to save me from problems I may run into, in court later, maybe.

Yes, I like to do dark night time-lapse or look back at something I found unusual during the ride.
Old 11-06-20, 10:49 PM
texbiker

Bikes: Cervelo Caledonia Rival AXS eTap, Blue Norcross AL, Lynskey Helix

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 81 Posts
I video record portions of my ride but not for safety purposes. I have a website (see my signature below) and write about my riding experiences (among other things). I create a video and upload to YoutTube. I use 2 GoPro cameras, Hero 7 Black and Hero 7 Silver. The Silver is my hand held camera and the Black is usually mounted below my Bolt computer out front. I also mount the Black on my helmet, not on top but on the front. After the ride I edit the video using the Garmin VirB Edit program to connect GPS data to the ride video. The program can insert gauges in an overlay on the video. You can see today's video at this link:
In the video you can see at the beginning the Black is mounted on my helmet. Tomorrow I will mount it below my bike computer.

There are cheaper cameras and I tried one but I want to record audio with the video during the ride rather than voice over after the ride. The GoPro Black does a good job of that using a GoPro mic adapter. The cheap camera I tried didn't record the audio good enough to understand.
Likes For texbiker:
Old 11-06-20, 11:24 PM
roundypndr 
Been around the block

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 166 Posts
I have a couple of stealthy Contours, one is mounted pointing forward, on the left side of the head tube, the other is pointed aft, and is mounted on the left side of my rear pannier carrier frame. The video cameras have been very helpful in garnering better detailed information, should an incident occur that I would need to contact law enforcement.
Likes For roundypndr:
Old 11-08-20, 09:20 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts
I video record my commutes and solo rides on the road with bar and saddle cameras. When in group rides, off-road trail rides, I don't bother. Doesn't make you safer. It doesn't make me feel any safer, but in case something happens and there are no witnesses, the video footage is good for that.
Old 11-08-20, 09:51 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
I've been recording for 6 years with a helmet cam, which can record events to the side and slightly behind, like a menacing car, if I turn my head I haven't had a major incident yet, so it has not been helpful with that.

What is has been helpful with is making me a better rider, as early on I discovered that any outbursts and over-reactions were rather ugly. Also I get to document and share the joy of bike commuting and other rides.

https://www.youtube.com/user/bgvideo62/playlists
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 11-08-20, 09:59 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Seems like a lot of faff for very little benefit (except maybe) for a a potential court case. And even that seems like it would take luck too to prove anything.
I do see videos sometimes of someone pointing to their camera and saying "You're on video", making the other person retreat. I guess I could make a dummy camera or find some old non-working for the same effect if I got into enough confrontations to warrant that (which I don't).
Old 11-08-20, 10:11 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by CargoDane
I do see videos sometimes of someone pointing to their camera and saying "You're on video", making the other person retreat. I guess I could make a dummy camera or find some old non-working for the same effect if I got into enough confrontations to warrant that (which I don't).
Bringing a camera to a potential fist, tire iron, knife or gun fight with an enraged stranger on the street and pointing the device as if it were a defensive weapon may not be such a good idea.

The someone having a camera (or phone or fake camera) pointed at them and told that "You're on video" may not necessarily be intimidated and retreat, but rather may become more enraged and even provoked to at best break the camera or phone, or do something worse.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 11-08-20 at 10:58 AM.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 11-08-20, 11:29 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Bringing a camera to a potential fist, tire iron, knife or gun fight with an enraged stranger on the street and pointing the device as if it were a defensive weapon may not be such a good idea.

The someone having a camera (or phone or fake camera) pointed at them and told that "You're on video" may not necessarily be intimidated and retreat, but rather may become more enraged and even provoked to at best break the camera or phone, or do something worse.
I haven't given that part much thought, I must confess. I don't have an "action" camera. I rarely even take still photos of anything.
Old 11-08-20, 09:54 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
I have a helmet cam and a rear view cam. If there are no incidences during my ride, I erase the videos. I have used captured images to report bad driving of commercial vehicle drivers to their employers.

Out of curiosity, I watched the videos taken by the rear-facing camera on busy streets to see what motorists actually do when they approach me from behind. I am quite pleased that they follow at a safe distance and change lanes when it's safe for them to do so. I haven't been bullied on the road for a long-long time since I started wearing my cameras. It could be the awareness that Covid has done to make bicycling very popular or it could be that over the past few years, motorist have grown comfortable and more acceptance of cyclists on the road with them.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 11-10-20, 03:59 AM
Chistophe516

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Helldorado
Lets discuss cycling with a video camera. Do you wear a helmet cam or a handlebar cam or a chest cam? Does it make you feel safer? Have you ever recorded something that helped you in any way? Would you recommend a certain camera brand or model to a newbie (like me)?
1, Chest
2. GoPro Hero 4
3. Absolutely
4. Yes
5. My Gopro is several years old. They are up to the GoPro Hero 9, now. There are other cameras', if GoPro is not to your liking.
Old 11-10-20, 11:33 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
Tell them it's livefeed to facebook or something... And try not to be jerk about the fact you're pointing a camera, still be polite, sensitive, and classy about it.

However, if there's any bit of chance, the incident is your fault, pointing a camera is a bad idea.
I think it very unlikely that any motorist who stops to"discuss" a negative street encounter/incident with a cyclist, will think that the cyclist is not 100% at fault for whatever has the motorist riled up. It is 100%++ chance if the motorist has exited the car and approaches the cyclist for further "discussion." It is 100% chance that the motorist will consider the cyclist a jerk under these circumstances, with or without a camera, no matter how polite, sensitive, and classy the cyclist thinks he is.
Old 11-10-20, 02:16 PM
Helldorado

Bikes: Cervelo Aspero Apex1x 2020; Giant Escape Disc modified commuter 2021

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Chistophe516
1, Chest
2. GoPro Hero 4
3. Absolutely
4. Yes
5. My Gopro is several years old. They are up to the GoPro Hero 9, now. There are other cameras', if GoPro is not to your liking.
please elaborate on 4.
Old 11-10-20, 06:02 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
I have had drivers want to either argue or even physically fight until I pointed to the helmet camera.
I have had commercial drivers force me off the road and when I caught up to them at a traffic light and pointed to the camera telling them the video is going to the police and thier boss, they start appoligizing and begging.

I like a helmet mounted contour camera. The one I have:
https://www.amazon.com/Contour-ROAM2...052784&sr=8-34
Newer modles:
https://www.amazon.com/CONTOUR4K-Cam...052784&sr=8-13
Old 11-11-20, 03:10 AM
Chistophe516

please elaborate on 4.
My recommendation is GoPro. But I know that other cameras' exist(not like Nikon, Minolta, etc.).
Interesting they didn't see the camera. Helmet camera should be quite visible unless you mounted it in the front of the helmet.

Good point about having a camera. I might be wary about those having guns though. So might prudent to tell them it's being livestreamed or live recorded in the cloud so they never get the idea to try to shoot you.
I have my camera on a Chest Mount Strap. So drivers' can't see my camera. Because, It is up to them to be stupid, or not.

Last edited by Chistophe516; 11-11-20 at 03:19 AM.
Likes For Chistophe516:
Old 11-11-20, 07:29 AM
noimagination

Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 413 Times in 243 Posts
My recommendation is GoPro. But I know that other cameras' exist(not like Nikon, Minolta, etc.).

I have my camera on a Chest Mount Strap. So drivers' can't see my camera. Because, It is up to them to be stupid, or not.
WTH is up with your use of apostrophes?
cameras' (2nd time, see your 1st post)
drivers'

It's not quite random, but I have no idea what you think you're doing with them. Normally an apostrophe at the end of a plural noun indicates the possessive (e.g. "My parents' house" is the house of both of my parents), but that doesn't make sense in this context. It seems that you want to indicate a plural, but that is easy in the cases of the nouns you're using (cameras = more than one camera; drivers = more than one driver; no apostrophe is needed for plurals) and people rarely mess this up.

Perhaps you're not a native English speaker?
Old 11-11-20, 07:53 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
I run a Cycliq 6 rear camera. I got it mainly for dogs - if I’m chased and brought down by a dog, I want evidence of what it looked like and from what property it emerged, ‘cos someone’s getting sued. The camera’s less useful for cars as NC cars don’t have front tags, so there’s no guarantee of identifying a specific car coming from behind. Still, better than nothing. The most useful part of the camera is probably the pretty decent red strobe. The cycliq is a purpose-built bike camera - good battery life (~6 hr camera-only, ~4.5hr camera + strobe), looping over-recording of video, with the ability to save segments either by push button or automatically if the bike goes over, to prevent over-recording of specific incidents. They’re not cheap, though - IIRC it cost ~$250

Last edited by Litespud; 11-11-20 at 07:58 AM.
Old 11-11-20, 11:57 AM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
i' love' apostrophies'
Old 11-11-20, 12:45 PM
dragoonO1

Bikes: My bicycles have two wheels.

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I have a helmet camera and a tail camera pointing behind me mounted on the rear rack(s). I have also used handlebar mount hanging upside down, and as of this year I am using a 360° action camera on a shoulder mount.

It doesn't really make me feel safer, but I feel more prepared in case of a crash or other incident to know that I have evidence in support of my version of events.

I have used the handlebar mount and a cheap no-name action camera to record my own crash in a hit-and-run where I was struck from behind by a pickup truck. Because it was on the handlebar, it didn't capture the plate nor the driver, but the video was instrumental in multiple insurance claims and for the responding police officer in his incident report. I purchased a new camera and mounted it to my helmet after this hit-and-run, so the camera records where I look. I also added the tail camera after the crash.

I have used the videos I recorded while riding my bicycle to report 2 traffic incidents to local PD. The drivers in both cases sideswiped me out of the adjacent bike lane while I was present, forcing me to swerve out of their path. Both drivers were identified and issued a warning after the officers reviewed the video(s).

I have also used the videos recorded while driving a car to support auto insurance claims when I was rear-ended, because I use the same cameras as dashcams.

I like Sony brand action cameras due to their low-light video performance, high bitrate, video and color quality, image stabilization, and frame rate. Sony cameras have short battery life, so I carry spares and have a charger. Yes, that's a hassle. Go Pro Hero Black 5 & up are solid performers, and I'd probably recommend them. I would consider the GoPro Max & Fusion for my own use, but I would recommend the Black line in general.

The 360° camera is very useful and it's pretty neat, but it's more difficult to manage the video files for editing and so forth. I use a Xiaomi MiSphere, aka: MADV Madventure 360/Mijia, a Sony FDR-X3000, and a Xiaomi Yi Lite(rear came on bike and rear window in the car).

Last edited by dragoonO1; 11-11-20 at 12:54 PM.
Old 11-11-20, 03:19 PM
Chistophe516

That's clever if you're really trying to catch bad drivers at your own risk!

Usually, if they see you with camera, they will leave you alone!

I don't think I can do what you did. Here is like Mexico, like wild wild west. Very corrupt government, assassins very cheap to the middle class. I will only use video as last resort, not the first. I fear retaliation!
No disagreement about Mexico. While using a Chest Mount Strap position, might give the impression video inaccuracy. ATST positioning the camera on the helmet, while the main intention of the camera(and possibly a better viewpoint). The problem I saw in a number of videos'. Was that, along with a stationary camera position, it necessitates ducking even further. If a cyclist had to duck for any reason. A cyclist could 'clothesline' themselves', courtesy of how secure the camera is to the helmet. Lastly, The helmet position(as opposed to Chest or Handlebar), causes the video to almost make the viewer feel like. They were in a washing machine. Because of how the cyclist turns their head. That is why I have a Chest Mount Strap. So, I can position the angle of the camera, at plate level.

Originally Posted by noimagination
WTH is up with your use of apostrophes?
cameras' (2nd time, see your 1st post)
drivers'

It's not quite random, but I have no idea what you think you're doing with them. Normally an apostrophe at the end of a plural noun indicates the possessive (e.g. "My parents' house" is the house of both of my parents), but that doesn't make sense in this context. It seems that you want to indicate a plural, but that is easy in the cases of the nouns you're using (cameras = more than one camera; drivers = more than one driver; no apostrophe is needed for plurals) and people rarely mess this up.

Perhaps you're not a native English speaker?
English is my first language, even though I was born in Germany.

https://www.elc.edu/grammar-lesson-s...sessive-nouns/

Last edited by Chistophe516; 11-11-20 at 03:26 PM.
Likes For Chistophe516:
Old 11-11-20, 03:32 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

English is my first language, even though I was born in Germany.

https://www.elc.edu/grammar-lesson-s...sessive-nouns/
Not to start a fight, but that was not how you used it:

That's not plural possessive. Whereas sentences such as "Most cameras' batteries" or "drivers' heads" are.
Old 11-11-20, 03:42 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2473 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
"The crux of the biscuit is in the apostrophe" -Francis Vincent "Frank" Zappa
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 11-12-20, 10:33 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by CargoDane
Seems like a lot of faff for very little benefit (except maybe) for a a potential court case. And even that seems like it would take luck too to prove anything.
It's more common than you might think, but certainly a tiny fraction of actual riding that gets recorded. There are a fair number of videos on the Cycliq site that state that charges were later filed based on the video evidence.
Likes For Notso_fastLane:
Old 11-12-20, 12:18 PM
Chistophe516

I agree about the helmet cam. I did it once, very shaky. One good thing about helmet cam is motorists see them easily (to deter them from doing any reckless moves).

I use video mostly to monitor my pedaling technique so I mount the camera in a pole, tied up in the rear rack, wide angle lens, looking forward for a good view of my legs and shadow on the street (if the sun is at angle) to observe my riding posture.

The bike mounted cam does get shaky in rough sections of the road. So it seems the chest is might be the most stable location for a cam!
Another reason(but not the main reason) that I use a Chest Mount Strap. Is that, the abdominal region of the body absorbs the shaking caused by road conditions, better than the head. The head is not as stable and can still shake.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.