Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Mid School Semi-Vintage Zone

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 01-19-20, 04:29 AM
Minion1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts

A few months ago I floated the idea of a mid school thread for road bikes, and was met with welcoming enthusiasm. The idea was for a thread where bikes which may be a bit too modern for the strict C&V crowd, but have a few years on them and might not fit in the current road forum, could find a home. I am an unrepentant child of the 90's road racing scene, and as such most of my grail bikes/favourite bikes are from the heyday of racing alloy and 90's steel, (and early carbon) and had the following ideas for the thread:

8-9-10 speed welcome, ergo power and STI all the way! More modern group sets welcome if the frame is appropriate.

Frames, alloy, steel, some carbon, I'm thinking 90's bikes, though to early 00's.

If you can, show us your silver components! This is more of a bugbear of mine, I'm tired of every new bike having black anodised stems, seat posts, hubs, derailleurs and would love. bit of proper mid school bling!

Anodised parts thoroughly encouraged!

I'm also a died in the wool roadie, but if you'd like to post MTB, city bikes, track bikes, I'd love to see them.

My internet authority barely extends past the end of my keyboard, so if you would like to post something interesting go nuts!

Hopefully I'm not treading on the toes of any other threads, or if something like this already exists, please point me in the right direction, I have some bikes to post!
Old 01-19-20, 04:40 AM
Minion1

Since I've made a mess of posting photos before, I thought I'd get the ball rolling, especially since I've been stuck in a city covered with bushfire smoke in Aus for the past 7-8 weeks. Apologies for the slightly grubby garage photos, but we haven't been able to head outside without doing yourself damage for a while now.

It's hard to pick favourites but here we go, 1999 Avanti Monza rebuilt with 10spd Ultegra, and take off wheels

Comp Series Series, I point this out to everyone and no-one finds it as amusing as I do.

The black seat post and silver stem combo is annoying me, in case anyone was wondering.

Pump peg, and some sturdy looking welds.

This bike is pretty plain 7005 kinesis, it was a mid-range model for Avanti when they offered a full range of bikes. It's a sentimental bike for me, I've always owned at least one Avanti since I've been riding, and now that Scott has bought the company I'm not optimistic about their bikes being a quality standalone product in the future.
Old 01-19-20, 04:59 AM
Minion1

One more before bed! For the record I think 7700 cranks are the prettiest cranks out there, I'm probably saying that because I don't own a polished 10 speed record crankset. My mind may change if and when I do.

1996 (I think?) Cannondale Caad3, chameleon paint in 56cm. This is my first grail bike, not only in that the bike rides really well for alloy, but my first proper road bike was this model, but a size too big and set up badly for me. I still loved the bike, and this one may have potentially come from a BF member, since I got it freighted from the US to Australia as a 40th birthday present.

I use 38cm bars, so the 140mm stem is something I can just get away with, however I have raised the stem about a centimetre and a half since I took this photo. It's a surprisingly nice, very light chromo stem, with a very short steerer and a very clean weld. It is ovalised, so not as flexy as it could be, and has been my favourite component that I've come across lately.
Old 01-19-20, 05:00 AM
Minion1

Also lets hear it for 2 pass welds!
Old 01-19-20, 08:26 AM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 622 Times in 279 Posts
Like these?

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 01-19-20, 09:07 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3895 Post(s)
Liked 4,821 Times in 2,226 Posts
Originally Posted by Minion1
A few months ago I floated the idea of a mid school thread for road bikes, and was met with welcoming enthusiasm. The idea was for a thread where bikes which may be a bit too modern for the strict C&V crowd, but have a few years on them and might not fit in the current road forum, could find a home. I am an unrepentant child of the 90's road racing scene, and as such most of my grail bikes/favourite bikes are from the heyday of racing alloy and 90's steel, (and early carbon) and had the following ideas for the thread:

8-9-10 speed welcome, ergo power and STI all the way! More modern group sets welcome if the frame is appropriate.
Hurrahhhhh!
+1

I have also suggested in many threads over a couple of years a sub-Forum for the 'tween' year bikes. I don't know the best name - i used '8-9-10speed Bikes'. i also suggested it be within the C&V Forum, since the majority of cyclists consider 10sp and earlier as Old School.

I upgraded all of my 'newer' bikes to Campy10, so the wheelsets are interchangeable.
2 steelies, 1 Ti and 1 carbon. Tallerico and Calfee were custom frames. 2pics of Calfee - shows threaded & current 1" threadless version.
Soooo much to discuss that shouldn't really be exactly C&V material.
edit: just checked my photos, had to laugh = that Spinergy wheelset makes the photo rounds. Resides on the Pini because 'it's better to have nice wheels on a down level frame than a nice frame with down level wheels'. And the color works. Tubulars now on the Tallerico + Calfee. Clinchers for the go-anywhere triple Ti Macalu (USA made). .

forgive saddle tilt, adjusted before riding - maybe that was the seatpost switch photo? Altho i used to ride on th rivet more.

Last edited by Wildwood; 01-20-20 at 12:06 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 01-19-20, 09:44 AM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,452 Times in 1,128 Posts
Finally! A chance to post my lightweight, go-fast road bike on C&V.

Brent
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 01-19-20, 10:05 AM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
When my steel frame Bianchi Forza got hit by a car, I was OK, but needed a bike in kind of a hurry with a charity ride coming up that I had already paid for. The Forza wasn't a great bike, but I had it dialed in, and enjoyed riding it, Shimano Exage, Biopace crank with indexed down tube shifter for the rear. I found this 2002 Specialized Allez, Sora drivetrain, aluminum frame, 9 speed triple for $399 as a closeout when Performance was leaving Specialized. At first I didn't like the aluminum's stiff ride, but loved the responsive sharp handling. An Easton carbon fork cured most of the road buzz, along with a Roubaix handle bar with zertz insert at the stem connection. It's 18 years now, and I've moved on to modern carbon, as well as several old steel bikes, but I still enjoy a spin on the Allez, though its mostly my bank and post office run bike these days.

I always liked the paint job, and the paint has held up well over the years. I have replaced the saddle with an Ergon, the front derailleur upgraded to Ultegra, new Claris shifters, and 105 brakes, besides the Easton fork, ITM stem, and Roubaix bars. Fun bike.

I always thought the Sugino crank was one of thd nicest looking modernish cranks.

I also ride this 2007 Specialized Roubaix Elite triple, my first carbon bike. Recently upgraded to Reynolds aluminum wheels and Brooks C17 saddle. We've done several centuries and big climbs together. I didn't like the handling at first, but the new wheels really tranformed the ride.

Same bike, a few years ago. I just like this picture from a Solvang century.

Near the top of Gibraltar Road.

Heading back down the hill,

Last edited by Slightspeed; 01-20-20 at 05:52 PM.
Likes For Slightspeed:
Old 01-19-20, 10:13 AM
UKFan4Sure
Useless Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 113 Posts
New build for me...

Likes For UKFan4Sure:
Old 01-19-20, 11:42 AM
Welshboy
PBP Ancien (2007)

Bikes: Cannondale CAADX (for commuting), Cannondale CAAD12, Cannondale CAAD12 Team CNCPT, Giant Contend 2

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 106 Posts

Lugged steel Cougar with Shimano 105 9-speed Flight Deck (sans chain)
Old 01-19-20, 12:07 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
Flight Deck is cool

I really like “Flight Deck” and I have it installed on my Dura Ace 7700/7703 3x9 bike and it works well for the most part so long as I keep fresh batteries in it.

My other Flight Deck bike has Dura Ace 7800 2x10 group on it and after 2 years of fussing, I have yet to sort out the Flight Deck. It malfunctions in 2 ways: 1) it thinks it is always in the big chainring and 2) the menus auto scroll on their own, never settling on the screen I want when I want.

Several years ago when I googled, there were quite a few links on troubleshooting Shimano Flight Deck. When I check now, the troubleshooting articles don’t seem to be there any more.

I’m not quite ready to abandon Flight Deck but I’m getting close. I have peeled back my brake hoods, & removed the cover plate with the 2 little screws. I have swabbed the contacts with contact cleaner. I have checked to see if the little grey button mounted in the plate is functional & briefly played around with placing little index card shims behind the contacts to no avail.

No one in my bike club could care less about Flight Deck and my bike shop doesn’t have time for it either.

Could somebody here steer me to some proper Flight Deck troubleshooting?
Old 01-19-20, 12:43 PM
jiangshi
Banned.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 172 Posts
Likes For jiangshi:
Old 01-19-20, 02:16 PM
Nemosengineer 

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson Audax Club, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 245 Posts
1989 Alan with 3 X 9 Dura-Ace 7700

: Mike

Last edited by Nemosengineer; 01-19-20 at 02:20 PM.
Likes For Nemosengineer:
Old 01-19-20, 08:09 PM
Minion1

Originally Posted by Wildwood
Hurrahhhhh!
+1

I have also suggested in many threads over a couple of years a sub-Forum for the 'tween' year bikes. I don't know the best name - i used '8-9-10speed Bikes'. i also suggested it be within the C&V Forum, since the majority of cyclists consider 10sp and earlier as Old School.

I upgraded all of my 'newer' bikes to Campy10, so the wheelsets are interchangeable.
2 steelies, 1 Ti and 1 carbon. Tallerico and Calfee were custom frames. 2pics of Calfee - shows threaded & current 1" threadless version.
Soooo much to discuss that shouldn't really be exactly C&V material.
edit: just checked my photos, had to laugh = that Spinergy wheelset makes the photo rounds. Resides on the Pini because 'it's better to have nice wheels on a down level frame than a nice frame with down level wheels'. And the color works. Tubulars now on the Tallerico + Calfee. Clinchers for the go-anywhere triple Ti Macalu (USA made). .

forgive saddle tilt, adjusted before riding - maybe that was the seatpost switch photo? Altho i used to ride on th rivet more.
Wow! Beautiful bikes, I have to admit a Pinarello from this era is on the grail list as well, but I might have tomato some additions. I think the Trek a few posts above this one is the prettiest bike of theirs I've seen.
I'd forgotten as well how dominant Selle Italia saddles were too, in my neck of the woods until Specialized became more of a presence in the market and Fizik launched their saddles.
Old 01-19-20, 08:10 PM
Minion1

Originally Posted by obrentharris
Finally! A chance to post my lightweight, go-fast road bike on C&V.

Brent
I follow Rock Lobster on the Facebook, it's good to see he's still busy and still making some really nice frames!
Old 01-19-20, 08:17 PM
Minion1

Originally Posted by Slightspeed
When my steel frame Bianchi Forza got hit by a car, I was OK, but needed a bike in kind of a hurry with a charity ride coming up that I had already paid for. The Forza wasn't a great bike, but I had it dialed in, and enjoyed riding it, Shimano Exage, Biopace crank with indexed down tube shifter for the rear. I found this 2002 Specialized Allez aluminum frame, 9 speed triple for $399 as a closeout when Performance was leaving Specialized. At first I didn't like the aluminum's stiff ride, but loved the responsive sharp handling. An Easton carbon fork cured most of the road buzz, along with a Roubaix handle bar with zertz insert at the stem connection. It's 18 years now, and I've moved on to modern carbon, as well as several old steel bikes, but I still enjoy a spin on the Allez, though its mostly my bank and post office run bike these days.

I always liked the paint job, and the paint has held up well over the years. I have replaced the saddle with an Ergon, the front derailleur upgraded to Ultegra, new Claris shifters, and 105 brakes, besides the Easton fork, ITM stem, and Roubaix bars. Fun bike.

I always thought the Sugino crank was one of thd nicest looking modernish cranks.

I also ride this 2007 Specialized Roubaix Elite triple, my first carbon bike. Recently upgraded to Reynolds aluminum wheels and Brooks C17 saddle. We've done several centuries and big climbs together. I didn't like the handling at first, but the new wheels really tranformed the ride.

Same bike, a few years ago. I just like this picture from a Solvang century.

Near the top of Gibraltar Road.

Heading back down the hill,
That descent!

Love the racing triples as well, I think it may be another feature that dates me but I am very resistant to the current nonsense about 1x on road bikes, I'm a fan of triples for a lot of people. Too bad if Sram has been wedged into trying to reinvent the drivetrain by other companies owning all the patents to sensible technology...

I have worked in shops for a long time, and a lot of that time in Specialized dealers, those are great examples of those bikes. You also have a point about the Sugino cranks...
Likes For Minion1:
Old 01-19-20, 08:43 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

I have to admit a Pinarello from this era is on the grail list as well, but I might have tomato some additions. .

A Pinarello from this era might be a Grail Bike, ........just not this Pinarello. Cadore model was entry level Italian roadie. But it is NOS with nary a scratch.

Actually, i should not minimize this frameset, with nice tubular wheels and VeloFlex Arenburg 25mms, the bike rides very well. 8.0lb frame + fork, size 60cm

as an aside, I really hate newer Veloce 10 speed. Campi, if you are listening = re-intro or license early 2000s 10 speed componentry, Please.

Last edited by Wildwood; 01-20-20 at 12:50 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 01-19-20, 08:52 PM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 994 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
I really like “Flight Deck” and I have it installed on my Dura Ace 7700/7703 3x9 bike and it works well for the most part so long as I keep fresh batteries in it.

My other Flight Deck bike has Dura Ace 7800 2x10 group on it and after 2 years of fussing, I have yet to sort out the Flight Deck. It malfunctions in 2 ways: 1) it thinks it is always in the big chainring and 2) the menus auto scroll on their own, never settling on the screen I want when I want.

Several years ago when I googled, there were quite a few links on troubleshooting Shimano Flight Deck. When I check now, the troubleshooting articles don’t seem to be there any more.

I’m not quite ready to abandon Flight Deck but I’m getting close. I have peeled back my brake hoods, & removed the cover plate with the 2 little screws. I have swabbed the contacts with contact cleaner. I have checked to see if the little grey button mounted in the plate is functional & briefly played around with placing little index card shims behind the contacts to no avail.

No one in my bike club could care less about Flight Deck and my bike shop doesn’t have time for it either.

Could somebody here steer me to some proper Flight Deck troubleshooting?
This users manual (pdf attached) might help if you don't already have it.
WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Old 01-20-20, 02:09 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,023 Times in 989 Posts
This will be an awesome thread. My knowledge runs out on '90s frames in a lot of ways, though I have groupsets nailed down (and use them on older frames). As a 63-65cm frame rider, it seems like, apart from Cannondale (early CAADs yes!), everybody forgot tall people existed until the mid '00s or later, and then the tall production frames came back. I am a road bike guy through and through (ok, stellar traditional touring bikes, too), so I look forward to learning a bunch here, and hopefully getting proven wrong with regard to tall frame production. My Shimano 600 / Campagnolo Atlanta 1996 deep section wheelset waits....
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 01-20-20, 02:11 AM
Minion1

Originally Posted by jiangshi
This is a beautiful bike. Since I've been lurking on this forum I've had a few prompts here and there to research Columbus and Cinelli, I have to admit I was pretty ignorant beforehand. The more I look at it the more I like it!
Old 01-20-20, 09:36 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
This will be an awesome thread.
More than an awesome thread = We need a Sticky Thread for 'Tween' bikes. Not C&V, not new tech.

Hey Moderators - Give us some S-A-T-I-S-F-A-C-T-I-O-N = a Sticky with a clear title for those 8/9/10 Bikes.
Old 01-20-20, 09:48 AM
jiangshi
Banned.

Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 172 Posts
This is a beautiful bike. Since I've been lurking on this forum I've had a few prompts here and there to research Columbus and Cinelli, I have to admit I was pretty ignorant beforehand. The more I look at it the more I like it!
Cinelli Nuovo Supercorsa. Built from Ultra Foco tubing by Giovanni Losa. It is fillet brazed and lugged. My understanding is that less than 2 dozen were imported into North America.
Old 01-20-20, 09:51 AM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 206 Posts
Here is a picture of my wife's 2003, Fondriest Carb Level 03 Monumental SAT. One of the prettiest bike I can ever remember seeing. Aluminum main triangle, and carbon seat and chain stays with a carbon fork. Quite the bike in its day. When we were taking a lunch break at the Sacramento Century, we came back to find a guy drooling over it and spouting all sorts of facts about the SAT process and Mauricio Fondriest himself!

Campagnolo drivetrain (9 speed w/Centaur triple), with some Shimano RSX brakes that came off of her Trek 1400 frame when she upgraded. as i looked for a decent picture of her bike, I noticed that all of them had my Pinarello photo bombing the scene!

Last edited by mgopack42; 01-20-20 at 09:54 AM.
Likes For mgopack42:
Old 01-20-20, 11:39 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Cool thread!
This was the first road bike I ever bought, purchased lightly used from a bike shop in '02 I think. It was nothing fancy, but had nice ride qualities. Like a moron, I got rid of it years ago. These days I miss it, and keep my eye out for another like it. 2001 Fuji Ace:

I don't even have any pictures of mine, as they were lost somehow. If I had it back I'd make a few changes and ride the heck out of it.
Old 01-20-20, 11:59 AM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,452 Times in 1,128 Posts
My CX race bike; now considered hopelessly out of date. No disc brakes. No through axle hubs. No tapered steering tube.
Good enough for me!

Brent
Likes For obrentharris:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.