Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Poliquin randonnée 1990 / Cannondale ?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-20, 01:37 PM
The_NinthWave

Bikes: Raleigh Carlton (commuter, all-rounder) || Xprezo Wuuu 2011 (XC) || Poliquin Randonnée 90 (ongoing process) || CCM Nevada (winter commuter)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

A friend gave me this bike he paid 449 C$ in 1990. Unfortunately, the model decal is gone.

I forgot to picture the wheels but they are Mavics and real heavy. Steel ? The tires are 32-622 (28")

The drivetrain is 3x6.

I am thinking of transforming this bike to a gravel bike as I believe there is clearance for 42mm tires.

Any thoughs about that ?

Thanks
Old 07-15-20, 04:06 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 665 Posts
Since it came with 32mm wide tires already, it sounds like it pretty much is perfect for a gravel bike. You also have the drop handle bars already. If you have steel rims, you could replace the wheels with aluminum ones for a 29'er. (I have trouble typing that, it is a 700C wheel size with marketing to turn it into a new, new thing). Everything else should be a fit.

I like the color and the frame seems to be well made. I would guess that it is not fancy double butted tubing but it may be chromoly. Do you have a picture of the wheels? Are new wheels in the budget?

Even if the wheels are steel, you can get the bike going while you wait for new parts to come in. Based on the age and condition, you may want to disassemble the headset, and bottom bracket and put new grease in there. Same with the hubs if you are going to use then for any extended time. I like to clean the jockey wheels on the rear derailleur because I'm always concerned about them causing friction. They are the fastest spinning bearings on the bike.

While you have the fork off doing the headset cleaning, you can paint the fork since it is black it will be an easy rattle can refresh that should come out looking much better.

Check the brake cables and derailleur cables and replace if needed. Being the thrifty guy that I am I will sometime pull them out if they are in good enough shape and grease the cables and put them back in. This should be a nice looking and riding bike.
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 05-24-21, 07:06 PM
The_NinthWave

Bikes: Raleigh Carlton (commuter, all-rounder) || Xprezo Wuuu 2011 (XC) || Poliquin Randonnée 90 (ongoing process) || CCM Nevada (winter commuter)

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
Since it came with 32mm wide tires already, it sounds like it pretty much is perfect for a gravel bike. You also have the drop handle bars already. If you have steel rims, you could replace the wheels with aluminum ones for a 29'er. (I have trouble typing that, it is a 700C wheel size with marketing to turn it into a new, new thing). Everything else should be a fit.

I like the color and the frame seems to be well made. I would guess that it is not fancy double butted tubing but it may be chromoly. Do you have a picture of the wheels? Are new wheels in the budget?

Even if the wheels are steel, you can get the bike going while you wait for new parts to come in. Based on the age and condition, you may want to disassemble the headset, and bottom bracket and put new grease in there. Same with the hubs if you are going to use then for any extended time. I like to clean the jockey wheels on the rear derailleur because I'm always concerned about them causing friction. They are the fastest spinning bearings on the bike.

While you have the fork off doing the headset cleaning, you can paint the fork since it is black it will be an easy rattle can refresh that should come out looking much better.

Check the brake cables and derailleur cables and replace if needed. Being the thrifty guy that I am I will sometime pull them out if they are in good enough shape and grease the cables and put them back in. This should be a nice looking and riding bike.
The reach is way too long so I wanted to change the stem and drop bars. The stem is 1-1/4" with included cable hanger. I have to buy a stem converter and cable hanger.

I read somewhere that this bike may have been OEM from Cannondale but I sent the pictures and they replied they never made any steel bike nor printed SN on the seatpost.
Old 05-24-21, 09:44 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

You may want to check your serial number against the Asian Serial Guide reference here.

Asian Serial Number Guide

So, how is the bike looking? It has been some time since you last posted these pictures. Have you been riding it? Got Pictures? It is always interesting to see bikes go from the state that you show above to a complete bike.
Old 05-25-21, 04:50 AM
beicster 

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 186 Posts
1- 1/4” headsets are fairly rare. That may help narrow it down. I know Gary Fisher made bikes with that size headset a few years but I don’t know if they built any with 700c wheels. Good luck.
Old 05-27-21, 11:27 AM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 136 Posts
Poliquin Sportif of Quebec City. Bankruptcy in 1992.

Most of the Poliquin bicycles that I have seen are touring bicycles and tandem bicycles.

I have seen a Poliquin that looked very much like a Cannondale frame. Most Cannondale frames are made of aluminum. Cannondales have recognizable serial numbers.

Your frame does not have a Cannondale serial number and is not aluminum.
Old 05-27-21, 03:20 PM
The_NinthWave

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Hummer
Poliquin Sportif of Quebec City. Bankruptcy in 1992.

Most of the Poliquin bicycles that I have seen are touring bicycles and tandem bicycles.

I have seen a Poliquin that looked very much like a Cannondale frame. Most Cannondale frames are made of aluminum. Cannondales have recognizable serial numbers.

Your frame does not have a Cannondale serial number and is not aluminum.
How can I know for sure if the bike is made of steel of aluminium ? The tube joints ?
[EDIT] There is visible rust on some parts of the bike; I guess that answers my question...

I have found a 1990 Cannondale Catalog and the bike I have mostly ressemble the ST600.

I wrote to Cannondale and sent them the pictures, especially the one with the SN and they replied they never made any bike for Poliquin and stated and that it is not a Cannondale serial number either.

It remains a total mystery.

Last edited by The_NinthWave; 05-27-21 at 03:27 PM.
Old 05-27-21, 04:18 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by The_NinthWave
How can I know for sure if the bike is made of steel of aluminium ? The tube joints ?
[EDIT] There is visible rust on some parts of the bike; I guess that answers my question...

I have found a 1990 Cannondale Catalog and the bike I have mostly ressemble the ST600.

I wrote to Cannondale and sent them the pictures, especially the one with the SN and they replied they never made any bike for Poliquin and stated and that it is not a Cannondale serial number either.

It remains a total mystery.
Please clarify what you mean by "It remains a total mystery."

An earlier poster named the company that sold the bike and noted that the company went bankrupt. The bike was sourced by that company from Asia, as were the majority of bikes sold outside Europe back then. There is absolutely no way that bike has any connection to Cannondale. There's no mystery on that score at least.
Old 05-27-21, 08:27 PM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by The_NinthWave
A magnet will be attracted to steel tubes and not aluminum tubes.
Old 06-16-21, 06:28 PM
The_NinthWave

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
So, how is the bike looking? It has been some time since you last posted these pictures. Have you been riding it? Got Pictures? It is always interesting to see bikes go from the state that you show above to a complete bike.
Here is the bike with some upgrades:
  • I had to use a stem converter from quill (25.4 mm) to threadless 25.4 mm (unless I was willing to order a batch of quill stem plus cable hanger). The stem converter is a bit short. I am at the minimal insertion level and I have a 5 cm drop. I'd like to get less drop unless a bike fit says otherwise.
  • I changed the handlebar, which were very narrow, to Ritchey Venturemax 44 cm
  • I changed the Dia Compe brake levers to some Shimano
  • I changed the cantilever brakes that were toast
  • I changed the saddle to a Fi|zik Aliante Open
I cannot fit larger tires than 700x32c which almost touch the fork crown. For gravel, I would have hoped for at least 38c.

When compared to my Raleigh Carlton (high tensile steel cheap fixed with straight blade fork), this Poliquin is way more supple. The cracks and other imperfections are well dampened... So far, it is promising.

But, I need a bike fit because I had back pain after 30 minutes ride while I can do 100 km on my carlton (I can show pictures if you want) and also I find there is too much weight on my palms.

What do you think ? Any advice ?

Complete build

Shimano non aero brake levers New handlebar is Ritchey 44 cm

Shimano brakes

Aliante open

Last edited by The_NinthWave; 06-16-21 at 06:48 PM.
Old 06-16-21, 06:29 PM
The_NinthWave

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Hummer
A magnet will be attracted to steel tubes and not aluminum tubes.
Thanks. That was simple. It's steel.
Old 06-16-21, 06:42 PM
The_NinthWave

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Please clarify what you mean by "It remains a total mystery."

An earlier poster named the company that sold the bike and noted that the company went bankrupt. The bike was sourced by that company from Asia, as were the majority of bikes sold outside Europe back then. There is absolutely no way that bike has any connection to Cannondale. There's no mystery on that score at least.
Since I have seen the Asian Serial Number thread, I understand that "outsourced from Asia" means a lot of possibilities.
Old 06-16-21, 06:52 PM
The_NinthWave

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Don't want to hijack my own thread but here is my slightly customized Raleigh Carlton I use as an all-rounder until I get the Poliquin to be comfortable.

As seen with two full water bottles and a wine bottle, it's 41 lbs. I can ride this for 100 km.

Old 06-17-21, 08:49 AM
Velo Mule

I like the way your Raleigh is set up. As far as fit, it looks like the handlebars on the green bike are a bit lower than the Raleigh, I can't tell on reach.