Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Saved by the hardware store

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 07-30-20, 04:08 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked 504 Times in 320 Posts

I had been doing overhaul on my Nexus 8 speed hub and it's a bit of a slog. Yes, I shot the snap ring across the garage but found it. Same as I did last time. But this time while reassembling I notice a ball was missing from the right side retainer. Sigh. I was tired and went to bed wondering what I should do. I woke up about 04:00 and looked up the parts list. I had found it previously. 3/16 balls in retainer 13 of them. At least I had something of go with. I searched around a bit but couldn't find that exact part, When I woke up in the morning, I thought maybe I can but just get the one ball and jam it into the retainer, at least now I knew the size. I sent a text message to my local ACE hardware at about 06:30. No response immediately but about 8 o'clock I got a response, they got 'em, 25 cents each! I got some change and ripped over there. Got it home, fit great and and finished the reassembly. Runs great, ready for a long ride tomorrow. New tire too.

I knew our local ACE was good for random small stuff but hope this might help someone looking for a ball bearing or two. Enjoy.
Old 07-30-20, 10:34 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,745 Times in 1,189 Posts
^^^^ The store was probably happy to get the payment in coin.
Likes For madpogue:
Old 07-30-20, 10:54 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Yes, ACE is great for things like that. Unfortunately the ACE in my neighborhood has just announced they are closing permanently in October. Just this store, not the chain.
Old 07-30-20, 11:06 PM
madpogue 

Originally Posted by jimincalif
Yes, ACE is great for things like that. Unfortunately the ACE in my neighborhood has just announced they are closing permanently in October. Just this store, not the chain.
OUCH! That's unfortunate. Far as I know, our neighborhood ACE is doing well, even now. The neighborhood has always supported them, and vice-versa. Same location since 1927. Creaky wood floors, narrow aisles that must be grandfathered in wrt ADA, staff who know where EVERY item is in the store, they even have their own blend of coffee roasted by the local coffee roaster. Alas, the old black lab dog who used to fall asleep in the aisles passed away a few years ago.
Old 07-31-20, 05:22 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
Creaky wood floors....
A mark of a good hardware store! They just aren't the same if the floors don't squeak.
Old 07-31-20, 07:06 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Bought a kit like this just to fill out my cart once. Nice to have backups.

https://www.amazon.com/Hilitchi-Metr...6200670&sr=8-5
Old 07-31-20, 07:42 AM
Joe Bikerider

Yeah, the store had a case like that except with imperial sizes. Just pick out the one you want. Shimano spec sheet showed 3/16 inch balls so that was good. Pretty funny for Amazon to have pictures of the balls, they all look the same to me! Should I have bargained for a lower price since I paid with a (rare) quarter? What a world we live in.
Old 07-31-20, 08:20 AM
dscheidt

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Bought a kit like this just to fill out my cart once. Nice to have backups.

https://www.amazon.com/Hilitchi-Metr...6200670&sr=8-5
Note that almost all bike loose ball bearings are inch sized. If you're going to get a set, make sure you get the right thing. A kit like that is very handy, I bought one a couple years ago when I dropped the balls rebuilding a pedal.
Old 07-31-20, 08:55 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Are you saying bike bearings are all inch size and not metric?

In all honesty I'm not sure which I got, metric or SAE.
Old 08-01-20, 11:55 AM
wayne2000

Bikes: Cruiser, single speed Specialized Hard Rock 1990s

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Ace is great for small engine ie lawnmower parts too. Plus the random plumbing job when you don’t want to waste 90 minutes at Home Depot.
Old 08-01-20, 04:29 PM
Joe Bikerider

One other option for bicycle parts was to go to the new shop across the street from the hardware store. I don’t think I will ever go into this place.

https://www.racycles.com/page/detail/1171

can you imagine? I wonder what the reaction would be if I took my Nexus hub into this place? Which “studio” would be appropriate? ROTFL.

Last edited by Joe Bikerider; 08-01-20 at 04:35 PM.
Old 08-02-20, 07:31 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
can you imagine? I wonder what the reaction would be if I took my Nexus hub into this place? Which “studio” would be appropriate? ROTFL.
OMFG! Are there enough "sophisticated and discerning" riders to keep a place like that in business?

And what does this (from the web site) mean?
"Please note, R&A Cycles does not sell any of its products nor do we represent our brand on any other website other than www.racycles.com, or R&A Black.com. Please be aware of websites or people using the R&A Cycles brand."
How do they not sell their products?Please note, R&A Cycles does not sell any of its products nor do we represent our brand on any other website other than
Old 08-02-20, 08:58 AM
Ubie

Bikes: 2019 CO-OP DRT 1.2, 2001 Trek 2200, 2021 Cannondale Topstone 1 Alloy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by sweeks
OMFG! Are there enough "sophisticated and discerning" riders to keep a place like that in business?

And what does this (from the web site) mean?
"Please note, R&A Cycles does not sell any of its products nor do we represent our brand on any other website other than www.racycles.com, or R&A Black.com. Please be aware of websites or people using the R&A Cycles brand."
How do they not sell their products?Please note, R&A Cycles does not sell any of its products nor do we represent our brand on any other website other than

It's worded poorly, but they mean they don't sell items anywhere other than their websites or stores (i.e. Amazon or a non-R&A Cycles brick and mortar). That whole set up is pretty pretentious, but Walnut Creek is one of the place you live in the Bay if you have a lot of money but don't necessarily show it off in the form of your house.
Old 08-02-20, 09:21 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by Ubie
It's worded poorly, but they mean...
Yeah, I see it now. I was so bowled over by the presentation that my brain wasn't working.
"Pretentious" just covers it... I'm reminded of Monty Python: Oh, 'an aeroplane'. Oh, I say, we are grand, aren't we? (imitation posh accent) 'Oh, oh, no more buttered scones for me, mater. I'm off to play the grand piano'. 'Pardon me while I fly my aeroplane.'
Old 08-02-20, 10:02 AM
madpogue 

R&A - Rich & Affectatious.
Likes For madpogue:
Old 08-02-20, 06:55 PM
dscheidt

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Are you saying bike bearings are all inch size and not metric?

In all honesty I'm not sure which I got, metric or SAE.
Loose balls are almost universally inch sized, yes. it's historical, the US and UK bike manufacturers set the standard, others copied, and it's stayed that way for convenience. Cartridge bearings vary, based on who designed the part, and when. Designers usually use catalog parts, and what's readily available changes over time.
Old 08-03-20, 09:06 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
The very best Ace hardware store in the world has be the one on 22nd Street in Tucson, AZ (6959 E 22nd St). It is the Mecca of hardware stores. Just their selection of chrome plated nuts and bolts is worth the visit...no, pilgrimage.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 08-03-20, 09:13 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by dscheidt
Loose balls are almost universally inch sized, yes. it's historical, the US and UK bike manufacturers set the standard, others copied, and it's stayed that way for convenience. Cartridge bearings vary, based on who designed the part, and when. Designers usually use catalog parts, and what's readily available changes over time.
While what you say is true of loose ball bearings, you are wrong about cartridge bearings. They are all standardized as well. Designers might use different sizes for different applications but their choices are bases on available bearing sizes. They don’t design the part and then build a bearing to fit it. The bearings they use are then readily available from most any supplier of bearings. QBP carries an extensive selection of cartridge bearings that readily fit in cartridge bearing applications on bicycles.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!