Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

New Bike; Old 'Fake' Commute...

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-21, 08:54 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts

My 28-years of bike commuting ended last December, as I now work for myself at home.

I recently picked up a 2007 Dahon Boardwalk 7-speed and modified it: https://www.bikeforums.net/folding-b...k-evolves.html

I had always wanted a folding bike, but never needed one. Yesterday, I rode it down to the old office taking one of my old routes down there and another one back home.

Thanks to gearing modifications, my average speed was consistent with my other bikes (actually slightly faster than my much heavier 90s drop-bar MTB-commuter). And the bull-horn bars give me the same riding position as my other bikes.

I've forgone a bell on this bike, relying solely on an Air-Zound Airhorn, and the only flashers are the front and rear flashers on my helmet. After dark I would still use my NiteRider Mi-Newt handlebar headlamp.

It was fun to ride the full-length of two of my commute routes and see some changes that have taken place in the last 6 months. And it was fun to experience a 'new' bike on old-familiar routes. However, seeing the building where I spent 28-years was a little upsetting, especially since they have made some inellegant modifications for enhanced security.

While setting my own hours is nice, and I do interact with my clients, I miss working with others in the same physical space, for a company I don't have to run...unless I am forgetting all the bad things about that.

But what I am certain of is that I absolutely miss the rides to and from work every day. If I find myself in an office environment again at least I know I have a folding bike as a real option for the commute if that's necessary due to mixed-modal commuting or office space requirements.