Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Need coaching for Guidonnet lever bullhorn wrap

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-21, 11:56 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts

I pulled the old wrap off bullhorns this morning and stopped as I was again less than pleased with the wrap I had done. I have removed the lever then tried three methods 1) did a figure 8 on the clamp and reinstalled, 2) just wrapped around the clamp and reinstalled and 3) same as 2) but tried a couple cut outs to get a better wrap around the clamp and reinstalled. Not happy with any of these. Would appreciate any input on preferred methods. I thought about giving Newbaum's a go but do value some padding as I use this bike around the Airpark w/o gloves.
Old 07-27-21, 03:16 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Originally Posted by onyerleft
YouTube is your friend.
Can you make a specific reference, please. All I found is classic levers which I am very familiar with.
Old 07-28-21, 10:57 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 665 Posts
This is an interesting combination of handlebars and brake levers easyupbug . I think it makes sense rather than the "normal" dropped bar levers or the inversed levers. I would think a adding a strip of tape where clamp is and then doing a figure "8" over the brake would be good, however, I have no experience with this combination and it sounds like you are using padded tape and that changes the look as well since the edges are so thick.

I am going to try out bullhorn bars one of these days so I am looking forward to pictures.

Edit: I meant "Inverse" rather than reverse brake lever.
Old 07-28-21, 11:08 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 665 Posts
I found these on ******. I cannot tell how it was wrapped.

Old 07-28-21, 07:08 PM
easyupbug 

Purely a guess but when I blow it up it might look like he started the wrap at each side of the lever after putting on a short piece over the clamp as you do with a typical bar lever. Then one wrapped toward the stem and taped and the other side started at the lever as well and wrapped up to the end and finished with a plug. That might work well on my DT shifter bikes but on the current one I stripped I have a set of 8 speed bar end sifters. Appreciate the photo, I think I like the approach and see what I might work out.
Old 07-29-21, 01:57 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
When I wrap a handlebar, I first position the lever(s) exactly where I want them to be and test ride to ensure proper placement for me...

Then I secure the mounting clamp in place with PVC tape and remove the lever(s). Note, I like to wrap the handlebar while holding it in a work stand, not on the bike...

Then I make sure that the mounting nut is secured (I use silicone seal to hold it in place - the temporary piece of foam holds the assembly stationary as the silicone seal sets up)....

Then I wrap the handlebar...

Then I install the lever body and lever...

I get darn good results every time...