Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Walking up hills

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-11, 09:22 AM
dsprehe89

Bikes: 2013 Stumpjumper HT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBikeRollsOn
SIU-Edwardsville? I'm moving to Carbondale in 2 weeks for graduate school at SIU-Carbondale. Looking forward to the riding there since Giant City State Park is so close, but I've seen some hills that look discouraging.
Yeah, I have been commuting from Collinsville to Edwardsville 3 days a week starting just last week. Its been grate so far, just very exhausting.... and my legs feel like jello. I wish I lived closer to Carbondale just for all the off road trails, that is where I started out riding years ago and I just recently switch to road riding seeing as we don't have many good off road trails here (or non that I have found or heard about).
Old 07-21-11, 09:23 AM
AaronAnderson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
40 percent? Not a chance. 6 or 8 percent is enough for semi trucks to need run-offs. 40 percent. Google earth us a picture

And get different gearing. You'll be fine on 48x18 and do much better. Get yo spin up.
Old 07-21-11, 09:27 AM
jessesv
u________u

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
put on a feasible climbing gear and learn to spin at a higher cadence.
This.

Oh and this doesn't hurt to remember:

'It never gets easier, you just go faster.' - Greg LeMond
Old 07-21-11, 09:29 AM
dsprehe89

Bikes: 2013 Stumpjumper HT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
25 - 40 % grade ? Are you kidding ? If that's really true, and I rather doubt it, then you won't get up it on anything but a geared bike with a granny gear, especially if you need to haul 240 lbs up it. And to all the rest of you guys telling the OP to htfu, I say liars
I will get pics of them tomorrow when I ride. The one I'm pretty sure I'm not exaggerating. The other I definitely believe I am, the steep one is really short, but so steep, while the not so steep one I just super long and at the last 2 miles of my whole trip so I am already wore out making it feel worse that it really is.
I have ridden the long (not so steep one) once, but I wasn't tired.

Over all, thanks for all the advice. I mainly just wanted to know if anyone else ever walked up extreme hills at say the end of their ride and if it was even considered remotely acceptable. I'm just going to keep giving it my all and I'll eventually be able to do it.

edit: am I also not under standing grade right? would a 25% grade approximately a 20 degree angle between completely flat and the actually hill? and a 40% be closer to a 35 degree angle?

Last edited by dsprehe89; 07-21-11 at 09:43 AM.
Old 07-21-11, 09:37 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
No, I have never walked a hill. Also, I've never ridden anything steeper than 12% on an SSFG. And that's the truth.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 07-21-11, 09:46 AM
kellencorkill

Bikes: Maruishi Road Ace

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
never walked a hill, 46/17. went up one of the steepest hills around where i live after eating a large ice cream cone for free, just because i am the man.
Old 07-21-11, 09:50 AM
scroca
commuter and barbarian

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
There is no law against walking a hill, regardless of what all these htfu guys imply.

You say you just started and you intend to lose weight. It will take time.

Keep at it and get as far as you can each ride. Eventually you may be able to get all the way up without walking. If not, there is no law against walking a hill...
Old 07-21-11, 09:52 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by kellencorkill
never walked a hill, 46/17. went up one of the steepest hills around where i live after eating a large ice cream cone for free, just because i am the man.
Forgive me father for I have sinned. Today I told a total lie on an internet forum.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 07-21-11, 09:54 AM
AaronAnderson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dsprehe89
I know this sounds pathetic, but do any of you ever just walk you SS/FG up hills instead of just forcing through?

I just last week started commuting to school (16 miles one way) and there are 2 hills that are probably close to 25-40% grade slopes (one is much steeper but shorter) and one is about 150ft long and the other is closer to 400ft long. My SS is a 53:18 gearing and I can only seem to make it about half way up both of these hills.

Have any of you ever ran into a situation like this? Is it even doable with my gearing?

Also, I weigh 240lb. I'm loosing weight now that I am riding, but I know this also makes it harder for me.
In all seriousness, where is your heart rate when you're riding? (gneerally speaking, not when you're bashing up a steep hill) For me, if my gearing is too high my heart rate doesn't go up very high (I'm in good shape) so I've changed my gearing all the way down to 44x18 but I still cruise at 18mph and recently topped out at 26mph.

If you want to lose pounds, focus on where your heart rate is.
Old 07-21-11, 09:57 AM
kellencorkill

Bikes: Maruishi Road Ace

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
Forgive me father for I have sinned. Today I told a total lie on an internet forum.
Old 07-21-11, 10:02 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
You guys that say HTFU are dum. (just kidding)

Powering 240lbs up a long hill is virtually impossible. We only have about 8-12" of sprint power or HTFU Power. The way to get big guys up hills it so spin, spin, spin.

The #1 mistake that new riders make is riding a gear that is too large and carrying a cadence that is too low.

Some of you guys still don't get it. When roadies would use a fixed gear in the winter for training, they installed a low gear and worked on cadence and pedal stroke. Not churning some huge gear around town.

If you want to look bad-ass...try cruising down the road a 120-140 RPM with a pedal stroke that is smooth as butter. You will be the envy of both FG riders and roadies. Seriously. I've had guys tell me, "Man, I wish I could spin over 120 RPM. It's just not in me to do it."
Old 07-21-11, 10:07 AM
AaronAnderson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're right. It's one thing to have a badass looking bike, it's another to look like a badass riding it. I get compliments on my spin; and nobody laughs at my low gearing.
Old 07-21-11, 10:08 AM
prooftheory
pro in someone's theory

Bikes: FTP

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ride clipless and you'll basically do anything you can to avoid walking. Anybody ever try criss-crossing a road to get a better incline on a road that was too steep?
Old 07-21-11, 10:10 AM
AaronAnderson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prooftheory
Anybody ever try criss-crossing a road to get a better incline on a road that was too steep?
All the time.
Old 07-21-11, 10:13 AM
hamish5178

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AaronAnderson
You're right. It's one thing to have a badass looking bike, it's another to look like a badass riding it. I get compliments on my spin; and nobody laughs at my low gearing.
But Emi Brown rides a 52x16 and he's soooooooo cool.
Old 07-21-11, 10:19 AM
ianjk
:)

Bikes: '07 Pista, '09 Fantom Cross Uno, '8? Miyata, '67 Stingray, '0? Zoo mod trials, Tallbike, Chopper, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '67 Triumph Chopper, '69 CB350, '58 BSA Spitfire, '73 CB450

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
https://gmap-pedometer.com/

+

https://veloroutes.org/tools/

My pita hill is 8-10% for about a half mile.
Old 07-21-11, 10:28 AM
twelsch42

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
The #1 mistake that new riders make is riding a gear that is too large and carrying a cadence that is too low.

Some of you guys still don't get it. When roadies would use a fixed gear in the winter for training, they installed a low gear and worked on cadence and pedal stroke. Not churning some huge gear around town.
Learning how to spin takes time. You have to start at a reasonable gear, get comfortable with that, and then upgrade to a gear which gives you LESS gear-inches.

People associate going faster with pushing harder on the pedals. This is incorrect.

Decrease your gear-inches: You won't be any slower. It seems backwards but it's true.

T
Old 07-21-11, 10:30 AM
AaronAnderson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree, 100 percent.
Old 07-21-11, 10:43 AM
EssEllSee
Kilo TT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As everyone has said, get a lower gear and spin faster. Also criss cross up the hill. I have had to walk up a hill once, and it was the most shameful experience. I felt like a tool walking my fixed gear up the hill, and I vowed to myself to never again let that happen.
Old 07-21-11, 10:49 AM
hwdxbassist

Bikes: Affinity Lo Pro-madison(RIP)-specialzed bmx-

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
48-18 is the perfect ratio to start with. thats what I ride and I have to go up cat-4 and 5 hills everyday from and to school,work,and commuting. I commute about 25-30 miles a day. right now im doing 48-17 because im in training mode. but riding SS/fixed is all about spinning. so try a lower gear ratio, you'll be spinning and it will seem like your not getting nowhere but keep at it and in a couple months you'll get to cruise at 20mph. not only that since you a little heavy-dont take this personal- spinning will get you to do more aerobic workouts which will-if your trying to lose weight- help you burn more calories and lose more weight.

Keep at it.
Old 07-21-11, 10:50 AM
boxerboxer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hamish5178
But Emi Brown rides a 52x16 and he's soooooooo cool.
I'll be impressed when those guys make videos mashing uphill. Bombing downhill? "Hey, check it out, I too am affected by gravity."
Old 07-21-11, 10:52 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by boxerboxer
I'll be impressed when those guys make videos mashing uphill. Bombing downhill? "Hey, check it out, I too am affected by gravity."
Sigged.
Old 07-21-11, 10:58 AM
Jaytron
Brown Bear, Sqrl Hunter

Bikes: CAAD 10 4, Dolan DF4, Fuji Track Classic

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts
Lose weight man. Watch what you eat. I went from 230->195 and hills got a TON easier.
Old 07-21-11, 10:58 AM
raiden07

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dsprehe89
edit: am I also not under standing grade right? would a 25% grade approximately a 20 degree angle between completely flat and the actually hill? and a 40% be closer to a 35 degree angle?
How are you doing the conversion?
100% grade means every unit travelled horizontally you travel 100% of that unit vertically, ie. 45degrees.

Do you mean to say you actually underestimated the slope and that it's actually 35 degrees = 70% grade
?!
Old 07-21-11, 10:59 AM
JoshTheSkier

Bikes: Lynskey R240, Jamis Dakar XCR Comp, Cannondale CAAD9 (Fixed), Moto Messenger

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ride, ride, ride.

Ride as much as you can, walk when you can't. When I got into fixed road riding, there were hills that I walked up that I now fly up sitting.

The trick it ride, ride, ride.

As a reference, when I got my first geared road bike I weighed ~220, when I got my fixed gear I weighed ~180, right now I weigh ~160.

Edit to add: I ride a 44/16, usually. If it's a particularly long, flattish ride, I might do a 46/16.

Last edited by JoshTheSkier; 07-21-11 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Added info

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.