Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 10-18-17, 03:56 AM
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Q&A: Instagram Exec James Quarles Plans to Turn Strava Into a Social Publisher for Athletes ? Adweek
Old 10-18-17, 08:37 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
It wouldn't surprise me if the changes completely gut the user base. I don't know why companies can't just sit down and say, 'what we have is working, lets not change it'
Old 10-18-17, 08:47 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,801 Posts
Since I don't follow anyone and no one follows me (I just use it to track my rides and keep stats), the changes don't effect me, but I can see those changes annoying the hell out of anyone who uses it socially and still wants to track their rides.
Old 10-18-17, 08:49 AM
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My best guess is that companies, countries, boards of directors, stockholders, investors are obsessed with growth. I imagine board meetings go like "what we have is working, how can we change it to get MORE."
Old 10-18-17, 10:32 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Grumpy McTrumpy
My best guess is that companies, countries, boards of directors, stockholders, investors are obsessed with growth.
That's no guess. That is the American Way.
Old 10-18-17, 12:29 PM
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Old 10-18-17, 12:44 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
I don't think the Strava changes are all that bad. I use the app mostly, and it's not that big of a change so far.

The web definitely has each ride way too big vertically, but they'll iron it out. I am surprised that whoever (hopefully) tested the beta of it didn't give the same negative feedback they're getting now. Or maybe they did, and it was ignored.. happens all the time.

my race videos
Old 10-18-17, 01:29 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
I don't think the Strava changes are all that bad. I use the app mostly, and it's not that big of a change so far.

The web definitely has each ride way too big vertically, but they'll iron it out. I am surprised that whoever (hopefully) tested the beta of it didn't give the same negative feedback they're getting now. Or maybe they did, and it was ignored.. happens all the time.
Because it was these guys:

Old 10-18-17, 01:32 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
That might explain why it now defaults to posting each ride on FB.
Old 10-18-17, 01:53 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The house next door to us was abandoned a couple of years ago by the family of criminal methheads who used to live there. It was like a neighborhood holiday when they left. The house has been sitting decrepit ever since. It's a pile of garbage in a desirable (in our opinion, at least, given that we live here) location.

A couple of months ago it came up for auction. I went to the auction, which lasted about 15 seconds. The bank bought the house back from themselves at the auction for $90k. Apparently that is not uncommon, for some sort of accounting or whatever reason.

After a few weeks it went on the market for $88k. We offered 70. They didn't respond. Then the listing price went down to 73.5. We upped our offer to 72. They countered with 74.5 (more than the asking price). We said no. They said they accepted another offer. Then they said the other offer was withdrawn. We re-submitted our offer of 72. Today the listing price went down to 66.

I guess this happens when banks sell houses? There is clearly nobody at the bank with the responsibility for selling this house, so it's become a farce. I would not at all be surprised if somebody else ends up buying it for less than our offer due simply to administrative incompetence on the bank's part.
Old 10-18-17, 02:07 PM
himespau 

You going to tear it down to make a double lot if you get it?
Old 10-18-17, 02:09 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Too much topography for that .. the top of that house is below our basement. We'd probably tear it down and build a small house at the back of the lot and rent it out, and maybe eventually move there when our kids are gone.
Old 10-18-17, 02:16 PM
Gramercy

Bikes: Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
70k! That would get you about 40 square feet out here
Old 10-18-17, 07:21 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas
Too much topography for that .. the top of that house is below our basement. We'd probably tear it down and build a small house at the back of the lot and rent it out, and maybe eventually move there when our kids are gone.
I've floated the idea of a family "compound" for many years now, where we own a set of 4-5 houses in a circle/square plot with a central house for hanging out or whatever. We'd all have our own houses but we'd be close to our siblings.

This evolved into having "lot cars" (Fiats, Geo Metro, Sonics, whatever tiny cars are around) to drive from one house to another. Which would lead to "lot car races". And karts. And, hey, a velodrome maybe.

Etc.

If the lot elevations are that different you could have a spectacular sledding run, no? Wood frame to set the basic route then a lot of ice/snow to fill it in.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 10-18-17, 07:29 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
The house next door to us was abandoned a couple of years ago by the family of criminal methheads who used to live there. It was like a neighborhood holiday when they left. The house has been sitting decrepit ever since. It's a pile of garbage in a desirable (in our opinion, at least, given that we live here) location.

A couple of months ago it came up for auction. I went to the auction, which lasted about 15 seconds. The bank bought the house back from themselves at the auction for $90k. Apparently that is not uncommon, for some sort of accounting or whatever reason.

After a few weeks it went on the market for $88k. We offered 70. They didn't respond. Then the listing price went down to 73.5. We upped our offer to 72. They countered with 74.5 (more than the asking price). We said no. They said they accepted another offer. Then they said the other offer was withdrawn. We re-submitted our offer of 72. Today the listing price went down to 66.

I guess this happens when banks sell houses? There is clearly nobody at the bank with the responsibility for selling this house, so it's become a farce. I would not at all be surprised if somebody else ends up buying it for less than our offer due simply to administrative incompetence on the bank's part.
We made an offer on a bank owned that ended up selling shortly after for less than our offer. Only thing I can think is that the other offer was cash.
Old 10-18-17, 08:44 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
My project at work is under threat of getting shut down due to some contractual issues. We got sent our possible reassignments and the managers that run them. I met with one of the managers today and he told me about his program. Seems like I would get to utilize what I studied in school a bit more and I'd stay at the same building I currently work in. May or may not involve a job title change.

I'm meeting the other manager tomorrow morning to discuss what he has to offer. That job would be about a 30 minute / 35 mile commute rather than my current 10 minute / 6 mile commute. Not sure what this job entails yet, but it sounds like it will be a bit more hands on and related to what my current job title is.

I'll have to make a decision at some point soon regarding what I want to do. Just at a crossroads because this choice could dictate future career opportunities within the company...
Old 10-18-17, 10:36 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
That might explain why it now defaults to posting each ride on FB.
you keep saying that but i don't see that...
Old 10-19-17, 07:31 AM
himespau 

I haven't seen that either, but I'm pretty sure I haven't linked the accounts and set them up with different e-mails, so hopefully mine stay separate.
Old 10-19-17, 11:27 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Originally Posted by Ygduf
you keep saying that but i don't see that...
I usually I upload from my Garmin to the desktop. On the browser version, there's a "save and view" preview page. It has toggle switches for "post on Facebook," "make private," and "hide from leader boards." Before this week, the post on FB toggle had always defaulted to No; since Monday or whenever, it defaults to Yes.

I have the iOs version on my phone but hardly use it to upload rides and haven't looked at it this week. Maybe if you use that route it's different.
Old 10-19-17, 02:36 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
Facebook is for complaining about Trump, how guns could have prevented the latest tragedy, why we have to ban guns, videos of some wackjob that agrees with your beliefs, and your grandma posting memes that are 5 years old.

Its not for posting Strava or any other actual life experience.
sounds about right!

my race videos
Old 10-19-17, 02:58 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2602 Post(s)
Liked 3,107 Times in 1,642 Posts
Repost if you agree!
I hate these kinds of Facebook posts!

It's like

1) Don't force your agenda on me
2) Don't tell me what to do
3) **** off

The worst ones are from (distant) cousins, family friends and other satellite people in your life that will follow it up with something like "re-post if you're true family" or "re-post if you're my friend".
Old 10-19-17, 03:53 PM
caloso

I just ignore those. Those and the "let's see who really reads my posts" posts.
Old 10-19-17, 07:11 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2602 Post(s)
Liked 3,107 Times in 1,642 Posts
long work day, roller coaster of emotions, but its ended well.

next week could be the most pressure I've ever felt professionally, already a bit stressed about it. I need to manage a huge ICP-MS run of blood and tissue samples (hundreds of samples) looking for gold nanoparticles with a lot riding on it, train a new intern, and fill in the product manager's shoes as he is out for the week.

I'll have all the support I need in the lab but it is still going to be a bit nutty and I'll be ready for some long days, lots of pressure, and people coming at me with things needing approval or advice from all directions. All the while making myself available to show a new girl the ropes. Can't wait

edit: Oh and training too I'll be staying late so I can still train in the morning

Last edited by TMonk; 10-19-17 at 07:16 PM.
Old 10-19-17, 07:43 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Visited the lab I amy or may not be working in starting soon. This is job possibility number two that Icould get transferred into. I've got the weekend to decide which position I want to pick. The lab / hand on, hard engineering one. Or the Mathy, working on really complex statistical problems. The probelm in deciding has little to do with the work. It has more to do with what career path each sets me down. I'll still be an engineer, just a matter of what title I want to hold in the future. Lots to think about, and sleep on. Need to get out for a long ride at some point to give myself the freedom to think it through.
Old 10-20-17, 05:39 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
TTOC, don’t sweat it too much. You’re a month out of school and on the job. I’m not yet 40, and I’m on my third career: newspaper reporter then editor, public relations/communications, and now marketing.

Going into reporting, I wanted to be a sports reporter. I took a business writing job because it was available, paid better than sports, and most importantly, was close to my then girlfriend (now wife). Business writing was the absolute last thing I wanted to do. Six months in, a spot opened on the sports desk. I opted to stay in business. It was a lot better than I realized. After a couple years, I moved to the metro desk covering city government. Then was promoted to editor.

I ended up leaving journalism and going into corporate PR for a bit, then academic PR/Communications and this year, I moved into marketing.

And this all came after I spent college studying to work on Wall Street, where I spent two summers interning. In fact, I was in Goldman Sachs lobby doing a full day interview when I decided I wanted to be a writer instead. Technically, I wanted to be a poet (I was a dumb college kid) but I realized that would likely mean living in my parents basement for the rest of my life. Journalism at least allowed me to write and earn money.

Anyway, my point is that careers are fluid. What happens today is not guaranteed to set you on a path for the rest of your life. Go with whichever one you think you will enjoy doing more and let the pieces fall where they may.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.