Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Listening to Music via Headphones?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 05-04-20, 08:29 AM
Tophy_Dee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Safe or unsafe? I’ve seen some other cyclists with air pods and other headphones on and though what a great idea to listen to some tunes while riding. But then I realized maybe it’s not such a good idea? Can’t hear if cyclists are coming up behind or if there’s cars or sirens. Basically can’t hear anything at all!

What are your thoughts on this and if you do listen to music, any tips to be able listen and keep safe at the same time?
Old 05-04-20, 08:35 AM
Tacoenthusiast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 84 Posts
Stick to carrying a boom box on your shoulder, much safer and cooler looking to boot
Old 05-04-20, 08:40 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1003 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 401 Posts
Originally Posted by Tophy_Dee
Safe or unsafe?
If you're on the road...unsafe. Yet, I see lots of people doing it. On a MUP...maybe OK.

But my personal preference is to go au naturel. I like hearing all the things that are going on around me whether they pertain to my safety or not.

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 05-04-20, 08:45 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Safe or unsafe? I’ve seen some other cyclists with air pods and other headphones on and though what a great idea to listen to some tunes while riding. But then I realized maybe it’s not such a good idea? Can’t hear if cyclists are coming up behind or if there’s cars or sirens. Basically can’t hear anything at all!

What are your thoughts on this and if you do listen to music, any tips to be able listen and keep safe at the same time?
It's far better than causing noise pollution with a speaker.

Use one earbud if you want to hear cars too.
Likes For Drew Eckhardt:
Old 05-04-20, 08:49 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
^ I agree with @_ForceD_'s sentiment completely. I prefer to hear the sounds around me.

Safety isn't the only consideration. The larger question is why folks need something playing into their heads in order to ride a bike...

Conversely, I see professional athletes (not hockey players, fortunately), who have personal music piped into their brains while they warm up. This may be to drown out distractions, pump up adrenaline, or permit relaxation leading to focus. It's not unusual for professional disc golfers to have headphone music during competitive rounds, and I'm guessing it's for one of the above reasons.

If a loved one asked me for advice, I'd recommend not doing it. If an internet stranger were to ask me, I'd say do whatever you want to do. If you're killed as a result, so be it.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 05-04-20, 08:55 AM
cheesesandwich

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Get a bone induction headphones
Likes For cheesesandwich:
Old 05-04-20, 08:59 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1003 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 401 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
I see professional athletes (not hockey players, fortunately), who have personal music piped into their brains while they warm up.
Just a bit off topic...but this reminds me of a funny headphone thing I witnessed once. When my now college Jr. son was in high school he played hockey. During the summer rec league, sometimes I'd end up operating the scoreboard at games. I once saw a kid come into the penalty box, and when he sat down he reached into he sweater collar and pulled out ear buds. He said he had an old iPod mini stashed somewhere down in his equipment.

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 05-04-20, 09:00 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 810 Post(s)
Liked 1,941 Times in 933 Posts
What could possibly go wrong? This is a serious question not meant to be sarcastic.
Old 05-04-20, 09:05 AM
Tophy_Dee

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I appreciate everyone’s input regarding this! It seems obvious to me that I shouldn’t have any headphones with music playing to me. I do enjoy hearing the noises from being outdoors but I tend to associate listening to music with working out. It helps me get pumped and push myself even more. But of course, I value my life way more than to have tunes playing while I ride!
Likes For Tophy_Dee:
Old 05-04-20, 09:20 AM
bargo68 
Dedicated Detritus Dodger

Bikes: Some mighty fine ones at that!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 246 Posts
On your left......

On your LEFT......

ON YOUR LEFT!!!!!!!!!!

I don't like earbuds.
Old 05-04-20, 09:38 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,119 Times in 743 Posts
Depends on your riding conditions ---- I wouldn't if I were urban, but my typical road route is a lake road that is heavily travelled by cyclists and light auto traffic during the week, so I use earbuds

I use them mountain biking too if I get to the trailhead and there are only a couple of cars, --- but if the trails are packed I skip them . Im not very fast and I dislike the idea of holding somebody else up if I cant hear them coming up behind me
Likes For DMC707:
Old 05-04-20, 09:44 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18269 Post(s)
Liked 15,185 Times in 7,172 Posts
Not a dog thread, but it will do.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-04-20, 09:46 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 1,148 Times in 664 Posts
I find that a lot of the headphone MUP riders don't even check over their left shoulder before moving around walkers.
Even the headphone wearing runners are guilty of that.
I view headphone use on roads as Darwinism in action.

So, No, I personally save the music for on the Trainer, then I crank it.

Plus in California I think you'll find it is illegal to operate a vehicle including a bicycle using headphones in both ears.

Remember in the land-o-many laws
California....... If its not illegal, its probably mandatory !

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 05-04-20, 09:50 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 3,979 Times in 1,413 Posts
I wear a Bluetooth headset and listen to music while riding on the road all the time. Like every day. About 10,000 miles worth in the last year. It seems perfectly safe to me. If it doesn't feel safe to you...don't wear them.
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 05-04-20, 09:54 AM
MattTheHat 

Originally Posted by Barry2
I find that a lot of the headphone MUP riders don't even check over their left shoulder before moving around walkers.
Even the headphone wearing runners are guilty of that.
I view headphone use on roads as Darwinism in action.

So, No, I personally save the music for on the Trainer, then I crank it.

Plus in California I think you'll find it is illegal to operate a vehicle including a bicycle using headphones in both ears.

Remember in the land-o-many laws
California....... If its not illegal, its probably mandatory !

Barry
When I pass another rider I figure it's my responsibility to pass safely. This includes anticipating what he might do based on runners and walkers ahead. Why would someone pass another rider who's passing or about to pass a walker or runner? Especially on a multi-use path!
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 05-04-20, 10:13 AM
phughes

Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Liked 1,232 Times in 711 Posts
Likes For phughes:
Old 05-04-20, 10:13 AM
pcook489

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts
I ride with music every time. I also have a mirror to let me know if cars/cyclists are passing me. The bigger issue is knowing your surroundings/threats than being able to listen to tunes while you ride your bike. Mirrors, people.
Old 05-04-20, 10:17 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
If it’s a solo road ride, like a commute, or just getting some miles in, I’ll often have music. Picking songs with the right tempos can also help you hold a particular pace or cadence.
When I do, it’s only one ear, usually the curb side, depending if I’m riding or running.

If its any any kind of group (2 or more) or a high traffic situation, like downtown, then I’ll ditch the headphones.

The pair i use for cycling has has an over-the-ear hook, so it doesn’t need to seal tightly, and the volume/pause controls are right on the pod, so I don’t need to fumble around for a cord or the phone to turn it down or off. (Or louder )
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 05-04-20, 10:24 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts

One earbud (right ear only) is my preferred for solo rides. I use Skullcandy Method for a long list of reasons: durable in the worst conditions, good mic to take calls and send & receive text, easy to keep the unused earbud secure, not heavy; neck loop design keeps weight off your ear, easy to use buttons - even with winter gloves, ...

My general thoughts on biking with music is the same as driving with music, it's only dangerous when it's too loud. I keep the volume low enough I can easily talk with people while riding.

I have never had a conflict with another trail/road user because of my music ... but I've encountered far too many people that are a problem because their music is too loud and they can't hear a bell or verbal alerts or anything.
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 05-04-20, 10:34 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Originally Posted by MattTheHat
When I pass another rider I figure it's my responsibility to pass safely. This includes anticipating what he might do based on runners and walkers ahead. Why would someone pass another rider who's passing or about to pass a walker or runner? Especially on a multi-use path!
When they unexpectedly move over 20+ yards before they need to..... surprise!

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 05-04-20, 11:05 AM
MattTheHat 

Originally Posted by Barry2
When they unexpectedly move over 20+ yards before they need to..... surprise!

Barry
You must have *really* wide multi-use paths if they can move over 20 yards!

People do unexpected things, especially on multi-use paths. I still figure it's my responsibility to pass them safely. This generally means slowing down to the speed of a power walker in busy areas. And I'm still able to do that whether or not I can hear them, or if they can hear me. I honestly think in my area it's better to just keep quiet and pass slowly. No matter my choice of words the reaction seems to be split 50/50 between working with me and doing just the opposite.
Old 05-04-20, 11:08 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

You must have *really* wide multi-use paths if they can move over 20 yards!
Funny Guy !

Yes - 20 miles wide.
but only 12 feet long.

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 05-04-20, 11:39 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
People do unexpected things, especially on multi-use paths. I still figure it's my responsibility to pass them safely. This generally means slowing down to the speed of a power walker in busy areas. And I'm still able to do that whether or not I can hear them, or if they can hear me. I honestly think in my area it's better to just keep quiet and pass slowly. No matter my choice of words the reaction seems to be split 50/50 between working with me and doing just the opposite.
It's funny around here (Minneapolis area), on a 25-mile ride you can go from the city, where nearly everybody gets the trail rules and we all work together well. But ride out to the exurbs, and you'll find fewer people understand the rules and you need to use more caution. On the bright side, the exurbs have significantly fewer trail users.
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 05-04-20, 11:41 AM
ZHVelo

Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 160 Posts
No.
Likes For ZHVelo:
Old 05-04-20, 12:08 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts

I've done it before in the deep past, but not for a long time. Being able to hear what's going on around me is what keeps me alive when I'm sharing the road with folks driving multi-ton death machines of death. I'll do my slow jogs with headphones on, or my exercise walks, but with cycling it's a NO GO at this station. I personally am in the "this is a bad idea" camp.
Likes For SethAZ:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.