Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Looking for advice: commuting with a vintage MTB

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 07-03-20, 05:48 AM
Sauternes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

ciao!
I plan to restore a vintage (1990) Diamond Back Apex to use as all-around bike and for commuting (when we will be allowed to return to office...)
The plan is very simple:
- change tyres
- change saddle
- service brakes, shifters, chain etc.

For the tyres I would like to mount a pair of Schwalbe Big Apple: do you recommend them?
Would you choose 50-559 (26 x 2.00) or 55-559 (26 x 2.15)?
I read that I should mount a rim tape to avoid spoke nipples to interact with the air tube: have you some reco on this?

thank you very much!
Old 07-03-20, 06:44 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1357 Post(s)
Liked 1,655 Times in 819 Posts
From 1997 to 2015 my main commuter was a 1997 Nishiki Blazer MTB. Then it became my snow bike and utility bike with studded snow tires in the winter. For the other seasons, three years ago I put supple 26x1.86 WTB-brand slicks on it and it transformed the bike into a super fun, fast, but heavy bike. Last fall I converted it to drop bars.

https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting...ig-bouncy.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...converted.html

The one thing I would add to your list is gearing. When I bought the bike the gearing was not high enough for high-speed cruising. That was rectified by replacing the big chainring in front with the largest that would physically fit the frame (53).

Good luck, have fun and let us know how it turns out!
Old 07-03-20, 08:02 AM
frankenmike 
mechanically sound

Bikes: Indy Fab steel deluxe, Aventon cordoba, S-works stumpy fsr, Masi vincere, Dahon mu uno, Outcast 29 commuter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 53 Posts
For commuting, the 2.0s are quite sufficient IMO. Couple wraps with strapping tape is my preferred rim tape(tape with filaments). Pair of sks fenders and you’ve got yourself a heck of a commuter! Best wishes
Old 07-03-20, 08:13 AM
Sauternes

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
From 1997 to 2015 my main commuter was a 1997 Nishiki Blazer MTB. Then it became my snow bike and utility bike with studded snow tires in the winter. For the other seasons, three years ago I put supple 26x1.86 WTB-brand slicks on it and it transformed the bike into a super fun, fast, but heavy bike. Last fall I converted it to drop bars.
WOW! Looks good and sturdy!
I'm not sure I will use the bike in bad weather, but who knows?

The one thing I would add to your list is gearing. When I bought the bike the gearing was not high enough for high-speed cruising. That was rectified by replacing the big chainring in front with the largest that would physically fit the frame (53).
This is very good advice, I will start using the bike as it is, then if speed will be an issue I will consider changing the fornt gear.
Right now I would like to keep the bike as original as possible and to keep restoring work at a minimum.

Good luck, have fun and let us know how it turns out!
For sure!
Old 07-03-20, 08:21 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 325 Posts
Be cautious with tire width. I've got a mountain bike from that era and I find that some 2.0 tires fit and some don't, including different tread models from the same manufacturer. In my case the tight spot is between the chainstays; no idea on yours.

I'd make sure I'm in a position to install/test if you're putting on something that is pushing the limits of clearance. Sort of like trying on shoes.

Last edited by flangehead; 07-03-20 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Clarify.
Old 07-03-20, 08:24 AM
Sauternes

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by frankenmike
For commuting, the 2.0s are quite sufficient IMO.
Thank you for your advice, if I understand well (in a total newbie...) the "2" is the width in inches, so 5cm: if this is correct I think that being wider will not add any benefit and will affect rolling.

Originally Posted by frankenmike
Couple wraps with strapping tape is my preferred rim tape(tape with filaments). Pair of sks fenders and you’ve got yourself a heck of a commuter! Best wishes
Can you suggest some brand of rim type?
I saw a precut Schwalbe rim tape but can't understand the sice to order (on Amazon there is no relation with the wheels size): are you suggesting to buy a roll of tape and not a precut one, right?
at the monment I don't plan to mount fenders because the idea is to use it only with good weather (then I know that weather changes...)
Old 07-03-20, 08:40 AM
frankenmike 
mechanically sound

Bikes: Indy Fab steel deluxe, Aventon cordoba, S-works stumpy fsr, Masi vincere, Dahon mu uno, Outcast 29 commuter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Sauternes
Thank you for your advice, if I understand well (in a total newbie...) the "2" is the width in inches, so 5cm: if this is correct I think that being wider will not add any benefit and will affect rolling.

Can you suggest some brand of rim type?
I saw a precut Schwalbe rim tape but can't understand the sice to order (on Amazon there is no relation with the wheels size): are you suggesting to buy a roll of tape and not a precut one, right?
at the monment I don't plan to mount fenders because the idea is to use it only with good weather (then I know that weather changes...)
I use regular old strapping tape, not even bike-specific.
Old 07-03-20, 08:45 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3124 Post(s)
Liked 2,101 Times in 1,366 Posts
I’d go a size smaller on the tires, personally. My MTB doubles as my commuter so it wears 2.8 knobs but if I had a dedicated commuter again it’d have 1.5 ish tires
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 07-03-20, 09:48 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
1.5" smooth tread or slick tires makes a huge difference in ease of riding and I find them a lot faster than 2" tires.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 07-03-20, 09:53 AM
Sauternes

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I’d go a size smaller on the tires, personally. My MTB doubles as my commuter so it wears 2.8 knobs but if I had a dedicated commuter again it’d have 1.5 ish tires
Good point, I have 2 issues with "thinner" tyres:
- I don't know which is the minimum size I can mount on my wheels, original tyres of my Apex were pretty wide, did you mount your 1,5" tyres on regular MTB wheels?
- the second point is aesthetic: even if I want the bike to be as smoothly rolling as possible I don't want to put on tyres that don't look adequate to the overall design of the bike
Old 07-04-20, 05:33 AM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 233 Times in 135 Posts
I use the Big Apple 2.15's for commuting on my 1996 GT Outpost MTB. They fit fine and there's enough clearance all around them; however, as someone else mentioned, make sure the 2.15's clear your frame.

Also, depending on how your brakes are set up, you want to be sure that if you remove your front wheel when you get to work, you have enough clearance to get it through the brake pads without deflating the tire.
Likes For Papa Tom:
Old 07-04-20, 07:30 AM
Sauternes

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
I use the Big Apple 2.15's for commuting on my 1996 GT Outpost MTB. They fit fine and there's enough clearance all around them; however, as someone else mentioned, make sure the 2.15's clear your frame.
Thank you for your comment.
Currently I have 2,15” off-road sizes, and I think I will go for 2”.

Originally Posted by Papa Tom
Also, depending on how your brakes are set up, you want to be sure that if you remove your front wheel when you get to work, you have enough clearance to get it through the brake pads without deflating the tire.
Good point.
Even if I’m not an expert I don’t think this will be a problem since it is very easy to remove the wires from the brakes arms in order to widen the gap between pads if needed.
Old 07-04-20, 10:25 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6133 Post(s)
Liked 4,067 Times in 2,310 Posts
Leave it with knobs and look for places to use it as a mountain bike on the way to work.Riding to work on the same route can get tedious. Both of these do commuting duty on a regular basis.

Untitled by Stuart Black, on Flickr

Untitled by Stuart Black, on Flickr
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 07-04-20, 10:26 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3124 Post(s)
Liked 2,101 Times in 1,366 Posts
Good point, I have 2 issues with "thinner" tyres:
- I don't know which is the minimum size I can mount on my wheels, original tyres of my Apex were pretty wide, did you mount your 1,5" tyres on regular MTB wheels?
- the second point is aesthetic: even if I want the bike to be as smoothly rolling as possible I don't want to put on tyres that don't look adequate to the overall design of the bike
- nah, it's fine
- that's a good reason
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 07-05-20, 05:47 AM
basketbro
-

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 15 Posts
here's my apex set up for daily use/abuse/commutes. i've got 2" big apples and sks fenders with tons of clearance left over. if this wasn't a parts bin build and i didn't just have the 2" laying around, i would've gone for the 2.35s, which is what i suggest for you. don't listen those suggesting a wide tire doesn't roll as fast - they do, and you'll be way more comfortable than you might be on 1.5".

Likes For basketbro:
Old 07-05-20, 06:19 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
'95 Trek 800 Sport: started with 1.95, 2.1 just barely fits with rubbing if mildly deflated. Happily running 1.75, now, and going 1.5 on the next go round. Currently riding smooth and steady on Impact Streetpacs (Schwalbe)

FRANKENTREK
Being budget minded, thinner tires use less rubber and can cost less, ymmv....
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 07-05-20, 02:09 PM
Sauternes

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Leave it with knobs and look for places to use it as a mountain bike on the way to work.Riding to work on the same route can get tedious. Both of these do commuting duty on a regular basis.
I live in Parma, in the heart of "pianura Padana" one of the flattest places on earth!
I really like your bikes, especially the fact that they look "raw" i.e. without any paint (but form the photos I can't tell if it is the bare metal or a paintjob).
As a matter of fact when I will decide to invest some seriuos money into a bike I will buy a Schindelhauer, a German manufacturer of "minimal bikes" that can be bought with a raw alluminium finishing.
I can't post links to external websites since I'm a newbie, but if you don't know them I really suggest to have a look.
Old 07-05-20, 02:13 PM
Sauternes

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by basketbro
here's my apex set up for daily use/abuse/commutes. i've got 2" big apples and sks fenders with tons of clearance left over. if this wasn't a parts bin build and i didn't just have the 2" laying around, i would've gone for the 2.35s, which is what i suggest for you. don't listen those suggesting a wide tire doesn't roll as fast - they do, and you'll be way more comfortable than you might be on 1.5".
Definitely I'll go for the 2" Big Apples, but no fenders since the plan is to communte only when the weather is OK (at least when leaving home...).
Being also an avid music listener and interestd in hi-fi I see a SMSL digital amplifier paired with what looks like a pair of ELAC Debut B4 or B5: how does this combo sound?
Old 07-05-20, 09:06 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6133 Post(s)
Liked 4,067 Times in 2,310 Posts
I live in Parma, in the heart of "pianura Padana" one of the flattest places on earth!
I really like your bikes, especially the fact that they look "raw" i.e. without any paint (but form the photos I can't tell if it is the bare metal or a paintjob).
As a matter of fact when I will decide to invest some seriuos money into a bike I will buy a Schindelhauer, a German manufacturer of "minimal bikes" that can be bought with a raw alluminium finishing.
I can't post links to external websites since I'm a newbie, but if you don't know them I really suggest to have a look.
Although I live at the foot of mountains, there’s lots of flat (ish) places on the way to work. The trails I use run along creeks. They aren’t highly technical but they become more so with speed. Mountain biking is a good way to keep commuting fresh.

The bikes I posted are both titanium. It’s usually not painted because it doesn’t need it. It’s inert to most any chemical so it won’t oxidize. Unpainted it also shows off that it is titanium. You pay for the cachet so you might as well show it off.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 07-06-20, 07:05 AM
basketbro
-

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 15 Posts
I see a SMSL digital amplifier paired with what looks like a pair of ELAC Debut B4 or B5: how does this combo sound?
they're b5's. i'm casually deliberate when it comes to audio, not an audiophile or expert, but this combo is very good. they sound full, with plenty of low end - no sub required. highs are well defined, not tinny or too whispy. they'll go louder than i will ever need, without getting blowy or loosing clarity. the amp is nice, bluetooth works well, good range, no connection drops. the knob feels a little cheap though and it runs a bit hot, no cooling vents at all.
Likes For basketbro:
Old 07-09-20, 08:36 AM
cabledawg

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts

My 98 GT MTB converted to a cargo bike with 2.15 Schwalbe Big Apples. I like the lower gearing when I have a load on the bike although that isn't as much of an issue now that its converted to e-assist. But I've not had any issues with tire clearance and it rolls pretty well (for a 100lb bike anyways). I currently commute 4 miles each way and it's 6 miles to the grocery store each week.
Likes For cabledawg:
Old 07-09-20, 09:43 AM
Sauternes

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cabledawg

My 98 GT MTB converted to a cargo bike with 2.15 Schwalbe Big Apples. I like the lower gearing when I have a load on the bike although that isn't as much of an issue now that its converted to e-assist. But I've not had any issues with tire clearance and it rolls pretty well (for a 100lb bike anyways). I currently commute 4 miles each way and it's 6 miles to the grocery store each week.
that's a bike earning her daily bread!

I'm convinced with the Big Apples since I don't want the tyres to look too thin in comparison with the bike.
I only have to find the best buying option here in Italy and then decide which rim tape (if any) to put on the interior of the wheels.
Old 07-09-20, 12:05 PM
cabledawg

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
It's a beast and a work in progress over the years. It's a hodgepodge of different brands and parts, basically whatever I felt needed to be changed or added to make it more versatile. Because the more versatile it becomes, the less I need to drive the car to do my daily activities. And now that I can haul my mountain bike on the back I can ride the 7 or so miles to the dirt trails. The only downside to this behemoth is that it doesn't fit in or on my car so that limits it's use to my local area.
Old 07-09-20, 07:59 PM
robertmoses

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Running 26 x 1.95 on my 1987 Schwinn Impact commuter bike and I have mixed feelings. They handle comfortably in Chicago's pothole covered streets for my day to day 3-7 mile rides, though during longer rides I do feel their bulk and tread as an impediment.
Old 07-09-20, 11:03 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1515 Post(s)
Liked 1,506 Times in 900 Posts
My '92 RockHopper has room for 2.1" Maxxis DTHs and fenders. They're fast, supple, and grippy (judging by the gravel pinging inside my fenders).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.