Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are Shimano parts that come straight from China genuine?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-23-20, 10:35 PM
coffeecherrypie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Take as an example Shimano's Tiagra-level SPD-SL pedals, PD-R550, though I don't think it's limited to this part in particular.

$100 at Performance https://www.performancebike.com/shim...dr550l/p332789
$100 at Jenson https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-PD-R550-Spd-Sl-Pedals

If you type PD-R550 into ebay, you get tons of "from China" results selling them for ~$50, for example https://www.ebay.com/itm/SPD-SL-Pedals-PD-R550-Clipless-Road-Mountain-Bike-Pedal-w-6-Float-Cleats-Plate/373130428879?hash=item56e04e81cf:g:RY4AAOSw5F9fITnA

Are these fakes? Or unauthorized copies made by the same factory or something? Why would they be half of the "real" price.
Old 08-23-20, 10:40 PM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Their probably genuine fakes. Roll the dice if you feel lucky

Old 08-23-20, 10:44 PM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
Most "Fakes" in this World were made side by side with the "real" thing on the same production line yet left the factory in an "unauthorised" manner.
Also what happens is that a "Brand" changes its subcontract manufacturer so the old items keep being made but now are deemed to be "Fakes". The quality may be just fine.

There is a reasonable likelihood that half price items from China did in fact leave the factory in an unauthorised manner.
Old 08-23-20, 11:38 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
They are fakes, quality is shoddy. Usually these fakes get dumped on markets like Vietnam, Indonesia, Thailand, a lot more than in the US and Europe.
There are plenty of horror stories of Shimano fake cranks suddenly broke off in a sprint, leaving rider destroyed. Chinese fakes are a well known issue in Asia.
Old 08-24-20, 06:54 AM
dmark 

Bikes: 68 SS, 72 Fuji Finest, 72 PX-10, 77 Pana Pro 7000, 84 Pinnarello Treviso NR, 84 Trek 520, 88 Project KOM, 90 Trek 750, 91 Trek 930

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by AnthonyG
Most "Fakes" in this World were made side by side with the "real" thing on the same production line yet left the factory in an "unauthorised" manner.
Also what happens is that a "Brand" changes its subcontract manufacturer so the old items keep being made but now are deemed to be "Fakes". The quality may be just fine.

There is a reasonable likelihood that half price items from China did in fact leave the factory in an unauthorised manner.
I agree that is usually the case. Counterfeiting from scratch would be cost prohibitive.
Still using my $5 Canal St. NY Oakley shades from the 90's.
Old 08-24-20, 07:15 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
ST-R8020 hydraulic brifters? Not counterfeit.

SPD-SL cleats in the bag? Likely counterfeit.

It depends on the barriers to production. Many complex parts are simply not worth the tooling investment to try to duplicate.

To answer the OP's question, it depends. I've purchased a complete R8000 (cable actuated, rim brake) groupset and pedals for a carbon build I did last year - straight from AliExpress. Best prices I could find. No issues whatsoever.

I recently bought what were definitely grey-market TRP RRL levers for $10. Identical to the $80 version, sans the drilling. Do I need the drilled levers? No.
Old 08-24-20, 07:51 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 117 Posts
IF your worried about it being fake, why not buy them from a company in the U.S.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PD-R550-SPD...-/373097890317

Same Price

EDIT: Dup...reading further on the above, it's Chinese stock being sold by the U.S. business.
Likes For travbikeman:
Old 08-24-20, 08:38 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
Originally Posted by coffeecherrypie
Take as an example Shimano's Tiagra-level SPD-SL pedals, PD-R550, though I don't think it's limited to this part in particular.

If you type PD-R550 into ebay, you get tons of "from China" results selling them for ~$50, for example https://www.ebay.com/itm/SPD-SL-Pedals-PD-R550-Clipless-Road-Mountain-Bike-Pedal-w-6-Float-Cleats-Plate/373130428879?hash=item56e04e81cf:g:RY4AAOSw5F9fITnA

Are these fakes? Or unauthorized copies made by the same factory or something? Why would they be half of the "real" price.
I think a lot of the direct from China drivetrain components are real. Itd be insanely cost prohibitive to get all the tools needed to build a Tiagra rear derailleur then sell it for 70% of US retail or whatever, especially at the relatively low volumes that we are talking about. Apply that to most anything with a moving/pivoting design.

A jersey is easy to fake. A frame isnt easy to fake, but since there are no real moving parts and its large pieces, its at least easier than drivetrains with all the small moving pieces(especially shifter internals).

I have bought a handful of shifters from China in the last 5 years- Microshift R7 2x7, Microshift R9 2x9, Microshift R9 3x9, Shimano 5800 105, and Shimano 6800 Ultegra, All are as real as shifters I have purchased from Merlin(105 8020 Hydraulic and 6800 Ultegra).
It may be 'factory direct'. It may be 'gray market'. It may be 'black market'. I dont know.
I would disagree that any are from the reject bin as they all work flawlessly as they should.

As for the pedals in question, just order them and pay with paypal. When they arrive, if you think they are fake then open a request for refund due to them being fake. The seller has a 99.6% approval rating, so its not like they are a shell seller that will shut down once they sell a handful of fake product. Paypal protection is for this very concern.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-24-20, 08:40 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
Originally Posted by aclinjury
They are fakes, quality is shoddy. Usually these fakes get dumped on markets like Vietnam, Indonesia, Thailand, a lot more than in the US and Europe.
There are plenty of horror stories of Shimano fake cranks suddenly broke off in a sprint, leaving rider destroyed. Chinese fakes are a well known issue in Asia.
How do you know the pedals are fake? And really- how do you know the quality is shoddy?...the pictures are stock pics so you cant see the quality.
This appears to just be a guess that you are passing off as fact.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-24-20, 09:37 AM
coffeecherrypie

I appreciate the insights of everyone who has commented. It does seem hard to credit that it would be worth it to set up tooling just to fake a certain pedal--but who knows. On the other hand, I could easily believe that Shimano ordered a certain number of pedals, and a factory made extra to sell on the gray market, and maybe those have looser QC.
Old 08-24-20, 10:23 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
The Shimano Corporation has many sub contracts out, for getting parts made in other places/ countries other than Osaka, Japan.
Old 08-24-20, 12:09 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
This thread begs the question, where are "real" Shimano made? And do they farm out cheaper level parts to China?
Old 08-24-20, 12:42 PM
coffeecherrypie

I think most Shimano stuff I've gotten says made in Malaysia, although I just got some XTR pedals that do say made in Japan. However I've read that it's not super strict on what is allowed to be labelled "made in Japan" and "finished in Japan" is sometimes more accurate.

Last edited by coffeecherrypie; 08-24-20 at 12:46 PM.
Old 08-24-20, 12:57 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Yes and no. They may be produced on the same line. But that doesn't mean identical quality. They may be produced on a separate run, which can ignore some of the standards the Shimano parts require. So you may get cheaper springs, lower-quality bearings... who knows??? Remember TANSTAAFL - you're taking your chances with the direct-from-china brand name stuff - it may be good or it may be total junk. And Shimano won't help you if you buy a counterfeit product and you have problems.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 08-24-20, 01:14 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,148 Times in 1,312 Posts
I can’t speak for all bike parts, as to the same line or truly counterfeit. I have purchased bike parts off eBay that came from China and have not had issues.

Bike parts, while high quantity, might pale in profit compared to counterfeit frames or golf clubs. In those cases the devil is in the details. The cost to accurately reproduce a counterfeit down to the very fine details is what usually is the clue of a counterfeit item. And they will never weigh the same.

For pedals, I would think a close comparison with the real thing, would confirm if it were real or counterfeit. Any small detail, tab, rivet, finish, crispness of lettering. These operations probably need to produce a run, dump, and move on. I doubt they can duplicate the real item exactly.

John
Old 08-24-20, 03:51 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Campagnolo built a factory in Romania to make the lower tier groups.. 'affordable'..
Old 08-24-20, 05:05 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
Your rolling the dice. Might be good, might be total crap.

if I’m going to be spending Many hours, days, or weeks depending on the performance and quality of a product, I’m not rolling the dice,
Old 08-24-20, 05:10 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
How do you know the pedals are fake? And really- how do you know the quality is shoddy?...the pictures are stock pics so you cant see the quality.
This appears to just be a guess that you are passing off as fact.
Do you live in these Asian markets: Vietnam, Thailand, Indonesia?
Do you ride with a lot of people in these markets who have their new Shimano part just break like cookies?
Do you know the LBS in these places will sell Shimano parts "in bulk", when Shimano doesn't do that, regardless of market.
I live and ride there part time, I know a lot of clubs there, in all these countries, and I know some of their domestic pros, I know the cycling scene in Asia. I'm guessing you're in the US? There are a lot more fakes there than what you're accustomed to seeing int he US or on Aliexpress.
Old 08-24-20, 05:19 PM
Bob the Mech

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda S6 frameset, custom build (road). 1995 Dawes Genesis Reynolds 531 Competition frameset, custom build (road). 1996 Orange C16R frameset, custom build (retro MTB). Coyote Dual hard-tail, custom build (MTB).

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by coffeecherrypie

Caveat emptor..."Let the buyer beware"...
Likes For Bob the Mech:
Old 08-24-20, 06:11 PM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1783 Post(s)
Liked 2,304 Times in 1,364 Posts
I purchased a set of SPD cleats from a seller in China. They were roughly 4/5 the size of real ones, and no they don't fit any pedals though they look great.

I buy bar tape and cables with no issues but since Shimano has no Chinese assembly lines that I know of (can't speak for other brands) as far as I can see the seller would have to be selling stuff that was imported to China so exceptional low prices set warning bells off. Return shipping to there is very high.
Old 08-24-20, 06:46 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked 1,169 Times in 682 Posts
i'd be leary about getting anything that is a critical component that does not look legit. bar tape...ok. derailleur, maybe not.

one of my friends once asked then answered his own question and it has stuck with me ever since..."what do you get from a junk yard...junk."
Old 08-24-20, 07:37 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4250 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,577 Posts
Most fakes are not made by the same workers in the same factories by some magical third shift or they "just fell off the back of the truck" It is a common myth that we love because we can continue supporting the fakes and feel good about it. I would rather support the real thing so I know I can get all the warranties and support from the actual manufacturer.

If something is too good to be true, it most likely is.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 08-24-20, 08:43 PM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Most fakes are not made by the same workers in the same factories by some magical third shift or they "just fell off the back of the truck" It is a common myth that we love because we can continue supporting the fakes and feel good about it. I would rather support the real thing so I know I can get all the warranties and support from the actual manufacturer.

If something is too good to be true, it most likely is.

Err, No. I'm not saying that "fakes" come out of the same factory as the real thing in order to make you feel good about buying them.
Often these "fakes" are seconds. The name "brand" want's them to be destroyed yet there is a strong culture in China and Asia to not waste things. So they get sold in an unauthorised manner.
Also a HUGE source of "fakes" is when the Name Brand changes contract manufacturers. The contract manufacturer is supposed to cease and desist from making the items anymore but they don't. They keep on making the same item which is now a "fake". The quality of these items will definitely slip though as they aim to make them cheaper and cheaper.

The costs involved in creating a "fake" from scratch are HUGE and completely incompatible with the whole modus operandi of making and selling "fakes".
Old 08-24-20, 09:06 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked 1,169 Times in 682 Posts
Err, No. I'm not saying that "fakes" come out of the same factory as the real thing in order to make you feel good about buying them.
Often these "fakes" are seconds. The name "brand" want's them to be destroyed yet there is a strong culture in China and Asia to not waste things. So they get sold in an unauthorised manner.
Also a HUGE source of "fakes" is when the Name Brand changes contract manufacturers. The contract manufacturer is supposed to cease and desist from making the items anymore but they don't. They keep on making the same item which is now a "fake". The quality of these items will definitely slip though as they aim to make them cheaper and cheaper.

The costs involved in creating a "fake" from scratch are HUGE and completely incompatible with the whole modus operandi of making and selling "fakes".
there is no culture thing in china to not waste something. there is a culture thing in china to make money though without regard to the poor chaps that become victims of what ever crap they are selling. remember the story about the guy reprocessing sewage as cooking oil? here is a little bit of nastiness to end your day with...https://www.businessinsider.com/chin...er-oil-2013-10
Old 08-24-20, 09:25 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,148 Times in 1,312 Posts
Well not to go off topic, but the Industrial Revolution wasn’t known for creating wonderful childhood memories.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.