Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trek 520D for Daily Shopping

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 07-31-21, 03:21 AM
vignesh_ce

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi, little intro about me:

I own a Trek DS3 and FX4 and I don't ride it much. In the past 2 years, DS3 have done 1000 km and FX4 only 200 km. I use FX4 to buy newspaper, but I just saw Trek 520 D which comes with racks and I am thinking of buying this as daily shopping cycle instead of touring.

Interestingly, Trek priced this bike bit cheaper in India compared to the USA. So, I find it quite value for money.

Do you think 520D will be good option for local errands?

Thanks,
VK
Likes For vignesh_ce:
Old 07-31-21, 02:06 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
A touring bike makes a fine commuter or hauler. The things that a touring cyclist needs are certainly very similar to the needs of a commuter just tourists tend to ride longer distances but durability, reliability and carrying capacity are quite the same.
Old 08-08-21, 05:21 AM
cynergy

Bikes: Trek FX 7.2, Trek 520, Trek Allant+ 8S

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a Trek 520 (older rim brake version) and a Trek FX disc. I think the 520 makes a great errand and commuter bike. I like both bikes, but the 520 is more comfortable for longer rides, I think because of the geometry with the drop bars (instead of the FX's flat bars) and the steel frame seems a little more comfortable/flexible than the aluminum.

I have racks on both the FX and 520 so both are convenient for lugging around groceries or items for work (laptop, clothes, lunch, etc.).

The 520 comes equipped with a triple chain ring with some nice low gears, so if you are going up any steep hills with a loaded bike it makes things a lot more comfortable. It's nice to have the flexibility to have the wider range of gears, especially for an errand or utility bike. The big chain ring is sufficient for when you want to go fast on the flats and downhill.

The reason why I bought the FX was it was inexpensive and had disc brakes which are good for the snow and rain (I live in New Hampshire in the US). Also, the aluminum frame doesn't rust which is nice. However, I prefer riding the 520.
Likes For cynergy:
Old 08-08-21, 09:04 PM
vignesh_ce

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by veganbikes
A touring bike makes a fine commuter or hauler. The things that a touring cyclist needs are certainly very similar to the needs of a commuter just tourists tend to ride longer distances but durability, reliability and carrying capacity are quite the same.

Thank you, I am quite surprised that TREK 520 D is priced at 1300$ in India whereas in the USA it retails at 1700$. I am not sure why though. May be TREK wants to promote cycle touring in India.
Old 08-08-21, 09:07 PM
vignesh_ce

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi Cynergy,

I am in the same boat as yours. I have Trek FX4, I bought it on Sale at 30% off. What I like in Trek 520D is that, it comes with racks and drop down handle bar and I don't have any bicycle with drop down bars. I thought of fixing racks in my FX4, but those Trek racks are bit expensive in India. So, I am thinking to buy 520D just for local errands. I don't intend to do any long distance touring. It will be used only for grocery shopping in style

Do you have any pics of your 520D with loaded luggage?

Vignesh
Old 08-09-21, 07:03 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Originally Posted by vignesh_ce
Thank you, I am quite surprised that TREK 520 D is priced at 1300$ in India whereas in the USA it retails at 1700$. I am not sure why though. May be TREK wants to promote cycle touring in India.
Are you sure the conversions are all working right? I guess it is possible you might find something for a different price in a different market but can't imagine they are that crazy different.
Old 08-10-21, 05:28 PM
cynergy

Bikes: Trek FX 7.2, Trek 520, Trek Allant+ 8S

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi Cynergy,

I am in the same boat as yours. I have Trek FX4, I bought it on Sale at 30% off. What I like in Trek 520D is that, it comes with racks and drop down handle bar and I don't have any bicycle with drop down bars. I thought of fixing racks in my FX4, but those Trek racks are bit expensive in India. So, I am thinking to buy 520D just for local errands. I don't intend to do any long distance touring. It will be used only for grocery shopping in style

Do you have any pics of your 520D with loaded luggage?

Vignesh
Hi Vignesh,

I find the drop bars more comfortable for longer rides or riding up a long hill. With the flat bars, more of my weight is on my seat rather than distributed on my seat and my hands like they are with the drop bars. For short rides it's not as noticeable, but for longer rides (2 hours or more) i can feel it. Even if I have the same type of seat and same seat height, etc., the drop bar bike feels more comfortable for the longer rides. I still really like my FX bike, though. It's a great commuter and also good for running shorter errands.

I don't have any pictures of the 520 with luggage, but if I get a chance I'll take a photo with the Ortlieb panniers on them. I have the older non-D 520 (I have V rim brakes instead of disk brakes).

Cynergy
Old 08-10-21, 08:17 PM
vignesh_ce

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi Veganbikes

Yes, indeed. Trek India is promoting the bike tourism. That's why you will find it priced lower. Even their luggage pannier bags are priced significantly lower than the US market. Trek 520D is priced at INR 95,999 inclusive of all taxes, that work out ~ USD 1300. So, I find it as a good deal compared to other bikes. That's why I am inclined to this 520-D, although I don't do any tourism.

https://www.trekbikes.com/in/en_IN/b...?colorCode=red
Old 08-10-21, 10:32 PM
vignesh_ce

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cynergy
Hi Vignesh,

I find the drop bars more comfortable for longer rides or riding up a long hill. With the flat bars, more of my weight is on my seat rather than distributed on my seat and my hands like they are with the drop bars. For short rides it's not as noticeable, but for longer rides (2 hours or more) i can feel it. Even if I have the same type of seat and same seat height, etc., the drop bar bike feels more comfortable for the longer rides. I still really like my FX bike, though. It's a great commuter and also good for running shorter errands.

I don't have any pictures of the 520 with luggage, but if I get a chance I'll take a photo with the Ortlieb panniers on them. I have the older non-D 520 (I have V rim brakes instead of disk brakes).

Cynergy
Thanks Synergy for your response. Your message is helpful in taking the decision.
Old 08-12-21, 10:20 AM
groth
astro

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, '72, Bianchi Volpe, '97 (no more, it died), Greenspeed GTVS6, '05, Trek 520, '13

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 24 Posts
Great all around bike!

Hi, little intro about me:

I own a Trek DS3 and FX4 and I don't ride it much. In the past 2 years, DS3 have done 1000 km and FX4 only 200 km. I use FX4 to buy newspaper, but I just saw Trek 520 D which comes with racks and I am thinking of buying this as daily shopping cycle instead of touring.

Interestingly, Trek priced this bike bit cheaper in India compared to the USA. So, I find it quite value for money.

Thanks,
VK
I have a 2020 model. I use it for riding around, for shopping and errands, and this past summer on a 4 day credit card tour. Here it is returning from the the weekly grocery shopping trip:

Likes For groth:
Old 08-12-21, 08:18 PM
vignesh_ce

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by groth
I have a 2020 model. I use it for riding around, for shopping and errands, and this past summer on a 4 day credit card tour. Here it is returning from the the weekly grocery shopping trip:

That's awesome! Thanks for posting pics
Old 08-15-21, 09:38 PM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
As a former Trek 520 owner, a definite yes. Those are awesome devices for utilitarian use.