Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Fenders on gravel roads

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Fenders on gravel roads

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-13, 07:54 PM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 521 Times in 290 Posts
Fenders on gravel roads

I read somewhere that gravel and such can stick in your tires, roll up and jam in fenders.

If a tour is going to include a large amount of gravel roads and/or trails, is it a good idea to take off the fenders for that trip?
Old 10-20-13, 08:07 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 430 Posts
I believe that would only happen on very hot days and when tar is involved. At least that's the only time I've ever experienced that. But I don't ride that many gravel roads with fenders on.
Old 10-20-13, 08:08 PM
koolerb

Bikes: CAAD 12, ROS 9+, and some others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Just me, but I did 44 miles, gravel on and off Friday with fenders; no issues. Went through a bunch of puddles along the way as well so was glad to have them.

Last edited by koolerb; 10-20-13 at 08:22 PM.
Old 10-20-13, 08:13 PM
Cyclesafe

Bikes: IF steel deluxe 29er tourer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've heard that concern as well. But as long as there is reasonable clearance, I'd rather think that gravel would not be an issue. Sticky mud, sure, but not gravel.
Old 10-20-13, 08:18 PM
arctos
40 yrs bike touring

Bikes: Bruce Gordon Ti Rock N Road [1989], Fat Chance Mountain Tandem [1988], Velo Orange Neutrino (2020)

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I have been using fenders for off pavement tours for over thirty years without this problem arising on a single bike or tandem. I can only imagine a problem if the supports are too few and too flexible allowing a thin fender to buckle and jam against the tire.
Old 10-20-13, 08:33 PM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 521 Times in 290 Posts
Thanks for all your input!
Old 10-20-13, 10:55 PM
3speed

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Another here reporting zero problems with fenders on gravel. I haven't done a Ton of miles on gravel, but certainly a few hundred, in wet and dry, and never once had an issue. You will hear random pieces of gravel zipping through the fender, but no jamming.

Also, in my experience, riding gravel is dirty business. My bike usually gets a good coat of dirt and grime even with the fenders. I wouldn't want to go without them on gravel. And surely a good coverage front fender will help keep some of that crap from your chain and front derailer.
Old 10-21-13, 06:49 AM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
As long as you have several mm of clearance the chance of gravel or mud on a rural road actually jamming a tire is slim. If you are going after serious off-road mud, then some kind of off-road fender with greater clearance might be in order. I like having some kind of fenders on my gravel grinder to prevent stone knicks and mud buildup on my downtube and to prevent the muddy stripe up my back.
Old 10-21-13, 08:12 AM
mtn.cyclist

Bikes: Litespeed Obed, Cannondale Scalpel, Spcialized AWOL, Litespeed Solano, Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sheldon Brown recommends increasing fender clearance from back to front. That way mud or debris can be ejected instead of compressed.
Old 10-21-13, 08:22 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
I've needed to clear mud build up, but never gravel. When the mud starts making noise against the tire and slows you down, time to srcape it out or find a hose or other water source. I've made good use of a water bottle to squirt out mud.
Old 10-21-13, 09:24 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
No issue here and I live 1/2 mile down a gravel road from the paved road.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 10-21-13, 09:44 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3455 Post(s)
Liked 1,454 Times in 1,133 Posts
I frequently hear the sound of a bit of gravel slide along my fender when it is picked up but it has not been an issue.

I like to have a large clearance for this reason. In this photo you can see a gap between fender and rear tire.

I however would like to have more gap in my front than rear, locking up a rear is unlikely to cause as much damage as the front could. And manufacturers usually have a tighter fit at the fork crown than they should. On the bike in the photo, I can fit a 57mm tire in the front but I do not like the tight clearance that would result so I only use a 50mm (or smaller) tire to get the clearance that I think I need for safety.

Some fender manufacturers include a release mechanism for the front fender stays, but I do not use them. I think that the bigger danger is something that could be so large that it could get caught in the fork, something like a stick. If a small piece of gravel was picked up that was large enough to consume all space between the fender and tire at the fork crown, I suspect that the tire would deform enough to let it pass in almost all situations.

Originally Posted by mtn.cyclist
Sheldon Brown recommends increasing fender clearance from back to front. That way mud or debris can be ejected instead of compressed.
This is a very good idea.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20IMGP4225.jpg (92.8 KB, 336 views)
Old 10-21-13, 09:47 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
I have a bike that has fenders that I ride on gravel roads. Occasionally pebbles kick up and get trapped under the fender. They simply rattle between the wheel and fender and get spit back out at the front. If you read Yehuda Moon online comic, he's made mention of that.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 10-21-13, 09:50 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I have a couple CM of clearance between the tires and the mudguards..
Old 10-21-13, 10:02 AM
robert schlatte

Bikes: Soma Saga, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, New Albion Privateer

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I have a bike that has minimal fender clearance and I have never had any problem with gravel clogging. I have had an issue with mud and snow but not to the extent that the bike was unrideable or that I would flip over the handlebars. I suspect that the release device on front fenders is more about manufacturer liability concerns than for real safety concerns.
Old 10-21-13, 11:39 AM
badger_biker 

Bikes: 10 vintage touring machines

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 66 Posts
I have enough clearance that I never hear pieces of gravel click through the fenders but a couple of years ago I toured on a well used rail trail with a crushed surface in a drizzle and had both front and rear fenders clog up on me. There was enough clay in the mix that it stuck to everything. Normal sandy gravel probably won't be an issue but beware if there is clay.
Old 10-21-13, 02:29 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 176 Posts
I would probably wait until I was on the trip itself. I've had this issue twice.

First time was cycling the Dempster Highway in NWT. It had rained and the road near the MacKenzie river was muddy. Mud clogged up into my fenders. However, it wasn't extreme enough, so I was able to stop and remove the wheels and then worst mud to keep going.

Second time was cycling across Russia. There was ~1500km of gravel on my route. I had done fine in earlier sections, but at some point I got to eastern areas with a lot of gravel and had not much clearance (Trek 520) with my front fender. After several rounds of stopping and clearing the encased mud/gravel, I decided to remove the fender for good.

However, if I have an upcoming tour, I'd probably start out with fenders unless I knew to expect a lot of mud/rain on gravel roads coming up.
Old 10-21-13, 02:31 PM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
I have a bike that has fenders that I ride on gravel roads. Occasionally pebbles kick up and get trapped under the fender. They simply rattle between the wheel and fender and get spit back out at the front. If you read Yehuda Moon online comic, he's made mention of that.
He aimed them at car tail lights....
Old 10-21-13, 02:33 PM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mtn.cyclist
That's how I did it:

Old 10-21-13, 03:04 PM
mtn.cyclist

Bikes: Litespeed Obed, Cannondale Scalpel, Spcialized AWOL, Litespeed Solano, Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by enigmaT120
That's how I did it:

Very nice. We thought long and hard about a Fargo before going for a Troll.
Old 10-21-13, 04:37 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
I commuted for over five years on gravel roads, and have done a fair amount of touring on them.

There aren't any significant issues, and I haven't been in much mud. But fenders are great for keeping you and the bike cleaner in wetter conditions on gravel roads.

The issue still remains the front wheel locking up with a larger item (not necessarily a rock) being caught between the wheel and fender and sending you over the bars. As pointed out earlier, this is more likely to happen with a large twig/branch getting caught in there. I don't think I would, however, use a bike that didn't have a release system on the front fender.

Interestingly, the only time I have had an issue with something getting jammed was when I got a backpack draped down the back of the rear rack, and got caught between the wheel and the SKS fender. The fender broke, so it wasn't really a major incident.
Old 10-21-13, 06:03 PM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
I think sticks, and fallen branches from trees present a bigger hazard than gravel, but maybe I am just lucky. I did switch recently to SKS Velo55 fenders which do no require stays (although stays are available for them). They provide a lot of clearance and the absence of stays prevents things from getting caught up in them.

Marc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0770.JPG (48.8 KB, 323 views)
Old 10-21-13, 08:09 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Originally Posted by Rowan
... ...

Interestingly, the only time I have had an issue with something getting jammed was when I got a backpack draped down the back of the rear rack, and got caught between the wheel and the SKS fender. The fender broke, so it wasn't really a major incident.
This past summer I was out for an exercise ride and encountered someone that had crashed her bike. When I saw her, she was lying in an intersection in the road and someone was standing nearby with a cell phone calling for help. I went over to see if I could help. I picked up her bike so that she did not have one leg over and another under it, she was trying to get up but was a bit shocky. There was a tennis shoe stuck in the front wheel and fork. Apparently she had a pair of sneakers hanging from the laces from her handlebars, one sneaker got into the spokes and jammed in her front wheel and locked it up. Trek Madone. Once again I was reminded that that having an expensive bike does not make you any smarter.
Old 04-27-21, 04:29 PM
Thruhiker 

Bikes: Fuji touring, jeep hybrid Trek 1100

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
I know this is an older thread but I thought I would add my two cents. The first of this year I put on Portland designs full fender. There aluminum I also put on new tires scwalbe marathon plus tour 700x40mm. I rode on pavement slushy roads with anti-skid. They were great. I have a fingers width the whole way around. Yesterday I finally got a few days off work and went out for a two day trip on the C&O canal tow path. The gravel in this section is very small. There isn't much mud. After 3 miles I stopped and removed the fenders as they were driving me crazy. Little pieces of gravel would get caught between the wheel and fender and rattle like shaking a paint can. After bouncing around a while the gravel would usually come out from on top hit my pannier and bounce into the spokes. As a was sitting along the path several people went by who had fenders and I never heard a sound. So maybe I should of went with plastic or a smoother tire.

Fenders are hard to pack in an ortlieb ha ha

This is the gravel quarter is to show size

Last edited by Thruhiker; 04-27-21 at 04:42 PM.
Old 04-28-21, 08:16 AM
Tourist in MSN

Eight year old thread. I still concur with the comments I made eight years ago.

Originally Posted by Thruhiker
I know this is an older thread but I thought I would add my two cents. The first of this year I put on Portland designs full fender. There aluminum I also put on new tires scwalbe marathon plus tour 700x40mm. I rode on pavement slushy roads with anti-skid. They were great. I have a fingers width the whole way around. Yesterday I finally got a few days off work and went out for a two day trip on the C&O canal tow path. The gravel in this section is very small. There isn't much mud. After 3 miles I stopped and removed the fenders as they were driving me crazy. Little pieces of gravel would get caught between the wheel and fender and rattle like shaking a paint can. After bouncing around a while the gravel would usually come out from on top hit my pannier and bounce into the spokes. As a was sitting along the path several people went by who had fenders and I never heard a sound. So maybe I should of went with plastic or a smoother tire.
I hear that often on my plastic fenders, but have gotten used to it. Most of my bikes have fenders.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.