Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cut and rethread spokes ?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-21, 10:11 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts

I am going to build a wheel with hub and rim I have on hand. I have some spokes to use but they are too long. I need to cut them shorter and cut new threads. Is this difficult to do ? Would I be better off to just buy new spokes ?
Old 08-05-21, 10:19 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Originally Posted by frogman
I am going to build a wheel with hub and rim I have on hand. I have some spokes to use but they are too long. I need to cut them shorter and cut new threads. Is this difficult to do ? Would I be better off to just buy new spokes ?
Do you have a spoke cutting and threading machine? I would probably buy the correct length personally.
Old 08-05-21, 10:25 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
...I would probably buy the correct length personally.
This is so true, but it would appear that finding good spokes right now is kinda hard as opposed to just a few months ago. I would only go to the trouble of cutting and threading if I could not find the proper spoke lengths...

Edit:
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
...unthreaded section. Threaded part is a greater dia.
That's right. The last time I resized some spokes I did not re-thread. I just cut the length and used an old spoke nipple to dress up the end.

Last edited by zandoval; 08-06-21 at 10:17 AM.
Old 08-05-21, 11:28 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
It just depends if there's a close place that does them. Also depends if they are used and what's available now. Postal has been going postal lately. LOL
I've done it several times. One set I redid was right at the top of the previous threads. That was a goof measurement.
These were also hard to get 2.3 heads.
I've bought uncut ones also. I also goofed the order and got black instead of silver. Tried to sand one off, took too long and it looked lousy anyway. LOL Still have those 49 + 1.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 08-05-21 at 11:32 PM.
Old 08-05-21, 11:30 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,261 Times in 870 Posts
Spoke threads are rolled, not cut.
Take your micrometer and measure across the threads and again on the unthreaded section.
Threaded part is a greater dia.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 08-06-21, 04:03 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Spoke threads are rolled, not cut.
Take your micrometer and measure across the threads and again on the unthreaded section.
Threaded part is a greater dia.
Yes, if you try to cut the threads they will end up undersized. https://www.portlandbolt.com/technic...threads-bolts/
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 08-06-21, 07:06 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
The effort and time to cut a spoke is not insignificant. I needed a replacement spoke a few months ago for a project and the shop didn't have the exact length so cut one for me. I forget what they charged me, ( $5? $10?) but it was quite a bit more than a single manufactured spoke out of a box, but considering the time it took them I didn't think it was unreasonable at all.

Each spoke is going to take some time to measure accurately and cut and crank through the threader, so the extra cost for 32 or 36 of them might be a lot. I am 100% certain you could find a box of DT Champion spokes in the right length for a lot less than 32 custom cut ones.
Old 08-06-21, 07:32 AM
Nessism
Banned.

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
Most better bike shops will have the tools to rethread your spokes. I found a shop near me that did what you are asking and they charged me less than the cost of new spokes and did them the same day. I think the mechanic enjoyed it. More recently I was looking to buy the tools to do it myself but it's kind of expensive for a hobbyist to justify.

BTW, bikehubstore.com sells lots of spokes and the owner is a great guy that goes out of his way to please. Highly recommended.
Old 08-06-21, 07:46 AM
IPassGas

Bikes: Schwinn, Nishiki, Santana, Trek, Rodriguez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
+1 for the bikehubstore and the owner.
Likes For IPassGas:
Old 08-06-21, 09:17 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by frogman
How much too long are they? Is doing an extra cross a possibility?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-06-21, 09:19 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Do you have a spoke cutting and threading machine? I would probably buy the correct length personally.
Yep. Wheel Fanatyk is out of stock (Hozan Spoke Threading Tool - Wheel Fanatyk), and it cost about 100 fancy spokes. I don't know if anybody has one of the really fancy Morizumi machines for sale, maybe I'll get one after I get me a $500 bike pump.

I know there are places with these tools out there, but to my knowledge none of them are local to me. YMMV.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 08-06-21, 09:37 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
The Morizumi is a great machine, very easy to use. We had one years ago and ended up stocking spokes in 10mm increments then cutting to what we needed. Greatly reduced the number of spokes we stocked. It really isn't very time consuming.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 08-06-21, 09:59 AM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
How much too long are they? Is doing an extra cross a possibility?
Maybe, I will check that out. If not then I will just order new spokes. I found out a spoke threading machine
is too expensive for something I would seldom use. Thanks for the idea.

And thanks to all that responded. The BF is great. A storehouse of knowledge
Old 08-06-21, 10:16 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Another thought: if you're using a double-walled rim and the spokes are just a tiny bit too long, nipple washers could "eat" about 1/2mm of spoke length. Nipple washers are still pretty easy to come by, too.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-06-21, 10:17 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Another $0.02:
Cutting and rolling new threads is feasible for PG or single butted spokes. You might not have enough of the lower section on DB and TB spokes to roll, depending on how much you need to cut. I'm fine with spokes up to 2mm too long or short (per a calculator) on double walled rims.
Old 08-06-21, 11:23 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
As @Bill Kapaun notes, spoke threads are rolled, not cut. Some bike shops have spoke threading equipment. Phil Wood's is nice, as it rolls the threads and cuts to length in a single operation. But it's expensive (couple thousand dollars, last time I checked). Cyclo and Hozan have more affordable ones (couple hundred dollars), but in my experience, they don't do as nice a job, and you need to cut the spokes to the desired length separately.
Old 08-06-21, 07:33 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Yes, if you try to cut the threads they will end up undersized. https://www.portlandbolt.com/technic...threads-bolts/
Not only that, but the cut threads act as stress risers. If they don't slip (strip) out of the nipples, they're likely to break.
That is why they're rolled in the first place.
Old 08-06-21, 08:40 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Yep. Wheel Fanatyk is out of stock (Hozan Spoke Threading Tool - Wheel Fanatyk), and it cost about 100 fancy spokes. I don't know if anybody has one of the really fancy Morizumi machines for sale, maybe I'll get one after I get me a $500 bike pump.

I know there are places with these tools out there, but to my knowledge none of them are local to me. YMMV.
The Morizumi looks real nice. We have a Phil Wood machine (low serial) but unfortunately our owner doesn't know what he has and it is expensive to get it serviced and it needs it badly so it is essentially out of service. I would buy it but lack the required funds and have almost zero need for it at this current time and I doubt the shop would want to rent it from me if I could buy it.
Old 08-07-21, 08:51 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
You could go the other way and cut the spoke heads off and use Z-bend pliers to creat your desired spoke length.
See this link —> https://jimlangley.net/wrench/espoketool.html

I actually created a replacement spoke this way for one of my bikes about a year or so ago. I didn’t have the z-bend pliers…just did it in the bench vise…but it works. It’s still on the bike working just fine. I’ve seen pics of wheels built entirely with Z-bent spoke. It looks OK, uniform, and works well. And, at $20.00 the pliers are a lot cheaper than a spoke threading tool.
https://www.amazon.com/Hangar-9-HAN1.../dp/B0006OBMJI

Dan

Last edited by _ForceD_; 08-07-21 at 04:50 PM.
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 08-07-21, 05:07 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
Ask around at local shops to see who has a Phil Wood or Morizumi spoke machine. My Morizumi is capable of shortening and rethreading spokes by as little as 2mm and down to whatever length the butting will allow.
Old 08-07-21, 11:15 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
Call around, if a shop has a Phil Wood or Morizumi machine an experienced mechanic can cut/roll spokes for a wheelset in 15 minutes. I wouldnt mind the job as a mechanic, a chance to use one of the nicet, more elegant tools in the shop.
Old 08-08-21, 02:31 AM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
As above, if you can find a local shop with a Phil Wood or similar spoke threader, it's really easy. Assuming it's already set up for the correct gauge spoke (it often is), then setup is 30 seconds and maybe 10 seconds/spoke.
On the other hand, if they have one of those cheap tiny 3 roller ones then it's a PITA. I've had shops, even on an empty day, go with the "We don't use it often, can't find it" excuse just to avoid using them (wasn't a great shop).
Old 08-08-21, 11:49 AM
mrrabbit 

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
If you're ever down here in the South Bay, you can have them cut and re-rolled by Bicycle Express and Wheels By Fleming.

If you had posted earlier, I could have done it for you when I had my machine with me up in Loch Lomond back in May.

=8-|

Disclaimer:

1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
5. My all time favorite book is:

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life