Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

De Rosa help

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-23, 10:40 AM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked 668 Times in 280 Posts
De Rosa help

Hey gang,

Two questions:

1. What's a fair asking price for this De Rosa frameset?
2. No reason to suspect that this isn't the real deal, right?

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-03-23, 11:04 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26382 Post(s)
Liked 10,362 Times in 7,196 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliwild
Hey gang,

Two questions:

2. No reason to suspect that this isn't the real deal, right?

Thanks in advance!

...in general, I presume that any steel frame that has a convincingly legit engraving on the fork crown and the seat stay caps, is what it say sit is.
It is true that bike frames sometimes get repainted and restickered, but it's a lot more work to pantograph the frame to create a forgery.

Whatever that paint is, it looks too nice to be original on an Italian bike of this era. So I presume it's nicely repainted. But I could be wrong on that.
Old 02-03-23, 11:34 AM
Caliwild

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...in general, I presume that any steel frame that has a convincingly legit engraving on the fork crown and the seat stay caps, is what it say sit is.
It is true that bike frames sometimes get repainted and restickered, but it's a lot more work to pantograph the frame to create a forgery.

Whatever that paint is, it looks too nice to be original on an Italian bike of this era. So I presume it's nicely repainted. But I could be wrong on that.
Thanks... My thoughts exactly. Any idea as to value/price?
Old 02-03-23, 11:56 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26382 Post(s)
Liked 10,362 Times in 7,196 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliwild
Thanks... My thoughts exactly. Any idea as to value/price?
...no idea. A local sale for something like this usually about half the ebay price. I haven't bought a bare frame in ages, so make sure you do a comparison of the numbers between buying just the frame and the costs to build it up, with the costs of buying a complete bike. Complete bike usually comes out cheaper, especially if you can find one local to you. I live close enough to SF Bay area, that these still show up occasionally on CL as complete bikes. Bare frames with good paint and decals used to show up in the $700-800 range here on the local CL, but pricing is down on this stuff almost universally. The market demographic is aging and the supply/demand thing has taken hold.
Old 02-03-23, 12:24 PM
Caliwild

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...no idea. A local sale for something like this usually about half the ebay price. I haven't bought a bare frame in ages, so make sure you do a comparison of the numbers between buying just the frame and the costs to build it up, with the costs of buying a complete bike. Complete bike usually comes out cheaper, especially if you can find one local to you. I live close enough to SF Bay area, that these still show up occasionally on CL as complete bikes. Bare frames with good paint and decals used to show up in the $700-800 range here on the local CL, but pricing is down on this stuff almost universally. The market demographic is aging and the supply/demand thing has taken hold.
Good call! I checked and the seller wants $800. Seems lightly overpriced in today's market... I'll have to think this one over. Thanks again.
Old 02-03-23, 02:33 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts
As a seller I always leave some negotiating room. If someone wants to pay full price, so be it. Good luck.
Old 02-03-23, 04:42 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 241 Posts
I purchased this De Rosa frameset a few years ago for quite a bit less than half the price of what the seller is asking for the frame in question. I did have to get one of the rear brake guides repaired ($35) and it is a large frame so it naturally would be less. It is in excellent condition though.
Likes For rjhammett:
Old 02-04-23, 09:08 AM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked 467 Times in 301 Posts
$800 sounds really high to me. I sold a beautifully repainted Colnago Super frameset in Feb ‘21 for just under $400 + shipping. Maybe the De Rosa commands a premium compared to a Colnago Super but not double. Or maybe I left too much money on the table!
Likes For plonz:
Old 02-05-23, 07:04 PM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1078 Post(s)
Liked 1,801 Times in 655 Posts
Colnago produced at least 5X the number of frames than De Rosa in the 80's. Think about all the Bikology catalogue orders.

I've been looking for the right DeRosa for years. Meanwhile I've probably sold 5+ collages.
Old 02-06-23, 12:33 PM
jiangshi
Banned.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 172 Posts
This bike appears to be an early 1990's model. The paint looks to be original. I can't make out the tubing sticker. If I was selling, I would ask $800.
Likes For jiangshi:
Old 02-07-23, 01:52 PM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1078 Post(s)
Liked 1,801 Times in 655 Posts
It is really crazy pretty.