Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Packing a tent

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Packing a tent

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-19, 05:28 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by nun
dont forget that a good shelter isn’t just protection against the rain, it should also keep bugs at bay, they can be far worse than rain.
That is a function of the bivy screen... though my research indicates that coconut oil (especially when combined with eucalyptus/tea tree oil) repels the little buggers. Excellent moisturizer, too.
Old 12-22-19, 06:50 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
Originally Posted by Digger Goreman
That is a function of the bivy screen... though my research indicates that coconut oil (especially when combined with eucalyptus/tea tree oil) repels the little buggers. Excellent moisturizer, too.
Digger digger digger, you come with us in early summer and you tell that to the black flies, in fact you can yell that at them as they carry you away to the funny farm...
If you aren't Canadian and haven't done outdoor stuff in the woods, you'll probably take that the wrong way.....
Likes For djb:
Old 12-22-19, 08:42 PM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
A tarp and a bivy might end up being heavier or more volume than a single walled tent. If you use the hammock instead of the bivy the setup could also get heavy depending on the type of hammock and the number of quilts you need to take.
Old 12-23-19, 12:19 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

I routinely forget that we all come from different setups... having no reality concept of what ya'll go through above about 32 degrees latitude

My "bug out"/retirement plan if stranded in the U.S., started with that thread on the weatherman showing where 70F weather is all the time. I modified this to where the weather is low 60- high 80 degrees F throughout the year. This is my riding temp comfort zone. Two routes showed promise: Both start with living in Brownsville, TX from Nov-March. Both travel through Austin to Dallas, following the nice temps. One then travels through Tulsa, KC and up to Minneapolis for July-August (or staying on the road to Milwaukee) before turn around. The second is more ambitious, by heading west, through Denver, the Divide, Salt Lake, and up to Portland for Jul-Aug, or on up to Seattle, before turning around. So this is all stuck in my mind....

My other egg-head research is an internet attempt to use the least products in the most ways. Vinegar, Baking Soda (maybe ammonia) and Coconut Oil (along with a couple essential oils) have amazing properties/uses for self-sustained travel. Course whether or not the plan survives combat, is another story to be tested in the field.

This is the tent (or copy of the tent) I will be using, under a tarp, when not in a hammock: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...chweb201603_53

Last edited by Digger Goreman; 12-23-19 at 12:25 PM.
Old 12-23-19, 12:32 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
My "bug out"/retirement plan if stranded in the U.S., started with that thread on the weatherman showing where 70F weather is all the time. I modified this to where the weather is low 60- high 80 degrees F throughout the year. This is my riding temp comfort zone. Two routes showed promise: Both start with living in Brownsville, TX from Nov-March. Both travel through Austin to Dallas, following the nice temps. One then travels through Tulsa, KC and up to Minneapolis for July-August (or staying on the road to Milwaukee) before turn around. The second is more ambitious, by heading west, through Denver, the Divide, Salt Lake, and up to Portland for Jul-Aug, or on up to Seattle, before turning around. So this is all stuck in my mind....
Weather and climate are not the same. What are you going to do when it's 103 degrees in somewhere like Iowa as you are heading towards MSP? Or 95 degrees in central Oregon during the day and in the 30s at night, even in September. Been to both. Done them. Got the t-shirts.
Old 12-23-19, 01:50 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Bugs

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Weather and climate are not the same. What are you going to do when it's 103 degrees in somewhere like Iowa as you are heading towards MSP? Or 95 degrees in central Oregon during the day and in the 30s at night, even in September. Been to both. Done them. Got the t-shirts.
Here, in the NE of US, rain averages almost an inch per week, in the Summer, insects are an issue, so a tent has a lot to recommend it.
Alan S, is that a NEMO tent in your picture?
Old 12-23-19, 02:13 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Pratt
Here, in the NE of US, rain averages almost an inch per week, in the Summer, insects are an issue, so a tent has a lot to recommend it.
Alan S, is that a NEMO tent in your picture?
Maybe you are looking at the green camp chair. The tent is in the red bag, MSR Hubba NX-2.

Old 12-24-19, 08:38 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

All good questions. The theory stage (now) is based on average temps and rainfall. Though, as another contributer said, adjusting for contingencies is part of the fun/challenge.
Old 12-24-19, 03:25 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by nun
dont forget that a good shelter isn’t just protection against the rain, it should also keep bugs at bay, they can be far worse than rain.
Yup. The netting in my tent door looked like this on my bike tour this past summer.

Old 12-24-19, 06:39 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Yup. The netting in my tent door looked like this on my bike tour this past summer.

Damn! That remind me of at least one place. Strawberry Lake in MN. I nearly ingested a few while eating breakfast the next morning. When I unpacked my tent at the end of the day there were blood spots on it from the mosquitoes that got crushed when I packed it up.
Old 12-24-19, 10:58 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
Many a blood splotch have been on our tents over the decades...
Old 12-26-19, 07:30 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
Cycommute, what size rear panniers are on the Cannondale?
Old 12-26-19, 10:44 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,214 Times in 2,362 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Cycommute, what size rear panniers are on the Cannondale?
They are Ortlieb front and rear rollers. Front is 25L per pair and 40L per pair for the rear
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 12-27-19, 09:24 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Damn! That remind me of at least one place. Strawberry Lake in MN. I nearly ingested a few while eating breakfast the next morning. When I unpacked my tent at the end of the day there were blood spots on it from the mosquitoes that got crushed when I packed it up.
I grew up in Minnesota, mosquitoes are the unofficial state bird. But the photo was either from Nova Scotia or Prince Edward Island, not sure which.

What really surprised me was how many of the mosquitoes that were in the tent when I packed it in the morning survived for a day in the packed tent and were moving around in it when I made camp at night.

This year I tried the repellent Picaridin, it worked pretty well. Theoretically that does not damage your equipment like Deet can, and I did not observe any damage to anything from using it.
https://www.rei.com/product/887628/s...lotion-4-fl-oz

But there were one or two campsites where the bugs were so thick that I reverted to the tiny bottle of 100 percent Deet that I brought as a backup plan.
Old 12-27-19, 09:51 AM
indyfabz

[QUOTE=Tourist in MSN;21259860]
This year I tried the repellent Picaridin, it worked pretty well. Theoretically that does not damage your equipment like Deet can, and I did not observe any damage to anything from using it.
https://www.rei.com/product/887628/s...oz [/QUOTE]
Might have to give that a try. I have ruined some shorts with DEET. I really saw what it can do from a can of Off left in a box in my damp basement for years. The can started to corrode and some of the liquid leaked out. In the same box were some spare audio cables. The DEET melted the outside plastic covering.
Old 12-27-19, 05:48 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN

Way back in my backpacking days while experimenting with a tarp, I spent a very miserable night trying to sleep in the middle of a cloud of mozzies while in a sleeping bag during a very hot summer night. The only reason I lived to tell the tale was due to a packet of Coleman mosquitio coils I kept going all night long
Old 01-06-23, 05:24 AM
shauny
live life

Bikes: Bombtrack arise tour and dawes discovery 201

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by berner
So far most responders have indicated where on the bike they have carried a tent. In another look at the issue, imagine it has begun to rain, maybe heavily, toward the end of the day's ride. When you reach the intended campsite you would like to set up the tent as quickly as possible so that you and your stuff remain as dry as possible during the setup. A key to a quick tent setup is to prepare the tent in advance from the previous days setup. If the tent is folded up to an appropriate size for where it is to be carried, then rolled up from front to back with rain fly still in place but with poles removed, then for the current setup, the tent can first be staked at the back end so it can't be carried away by strong winds. At This point the poles are inserted and staking out completed. If you have tried to set up a tent in a downpour, then this procedure will keep everything dry over multiple days of rain.
thats a good point, my tent just packs away in a stuff sack so you don't have to do too much folding while packing away but that can come back to bite you when setting up in a storm and everything is twisted all over the place 😆
Old 01-06-23, 06:32 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by nun
A tarp and a bivy might end up being heavier or more volume than a single walled tent. If you use the hammock instead of the bivy the setup could also get heavy depending on the type of hammock and the number of quilts you need to take.
That depends to some degree on what kind of bivy you use. Some of the hooped bivys are heavy. The bivys I use are more like a loose sleeping bag cover. My bug bivy weighs about 5.3 ounces and my regular bivy weighs 7 ounces. There may be tents that get close depending on what tarp I take, but only if I take a bigger heavier tarp and compare with one of the very lightest possible tents. I will note that none of my stuff is the very lightest most expensive fabrics so it wasn't particularly expensive coompared to other setups even heavy ones.
Old 01-06-23, 01:20 PM
Claude.fr

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute

Cool mini panniers.
Can’t read the name, though
Rock.....?
Old 01-06-23, 04:17 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1937 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 440 Posts
Either go light or go comfortable. Commit one way or the other. If you're going for streamlined bikepacking setup like this, you might as well go all the way an use a ultralight bivy sack. If you want to do this kind of sporty setup, but nevertheless insist on bringing along the usual perk items such as a full blown tent, then all you're going to end up with is a monstrosity setup with a bunch of dumb mushrooms strapped everywhere. "Pouchitis". That bike will be crying out for a mercy killing. To answer your question: you're going to have to get some rope and strap that tent somewhere, anywhere. Wherever you can get it to not fall off.

Don't use a cheap tent. Buying a trash tent is like marrying the first trash person you meet. It might be easy at first, but by day two you'll realize you've ****ed yourself bigtime.

Originally Posted by rivers
Thanks. These are my bags (without frame bag) on my road bike for a trip I did last summer. I will be using my CX/gravel bike for this trip as the frame geometry is slightly different and I have more frame clearance, bigger handlebars and better gearing. My problem with strapping the poles to the handlebar bag is they are too long (50cm poles, 40cm handlebars), so they will need to be secured to the outside of my saddlebag.

Last edited by Yan; 01-06-23 at 04:21 PM.
Old 01-06-23, 07:20 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,214 Times in 2,362 Posts
Originally Posted by Claude.fr
Cool mini panniers.
Can’t read the name, though
Rock.....?
RockBros. They are the small handlebar pocket in the link. 5 to 6 L per side. They are actually meant to be used as a front pocket on bikepacking bags. I use an Ortlieb bracket for my trunk bag and adapted these to that adapter.

They use velcro straps to hold in place on the handlebar so I adapted them.

I’ve got larger panniers (but much smaller than regular front panniers) from Mesabi that are a little larger. I kind of like the small ones, however.

Here’s those in the wild.

Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 01-06-23 at 07:25 PM.
Likes For cyccommute:
Old 01-07-23, 02:38 AM
Claude.fr

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
RockBros. They are the small handlebar pocket in the link. 5 to 6 L per side. They are actually meant to be used as a front pocket on bikepacking bags. I use an Ortlieb bracket for my trunk bag and adapted these to that adapter.

They use velcro straps to hold in place on the handlebar so I adapted them.

I’ve got larger panniers (but much smaller than regular front panniers) from Mesabi that are a little larger. I kind of like the small ones, however.

Here’s those in the wild.

Salut CC,

Thanks, that’s a clever idea, you had.
Before I asked, I tried my luck with Google starting with “Rear Mini pannier” unsuccessfully, then I thought, maybe they are front panniers installed on a rear rack but Nope.
No wonder I couldn’t find what these cool “panniers” were.
;-)
Much flatter than “proper” rear mini panniers, no protruding bulge at the rear.
I might copy that.
Old 01-08-23, 12:23 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I think that the OP in 2019 was asking about how to pack his tent poles not the tent itself.

For whatever it's worth; I cut the fiberglass rods (that form the hoops of my tent) in half and then added a brass end (the same diameter as the originals) to the cut piece. Then I replaced the interior shock cord (much easier to do with the shorter rods). The poles are now much more compact when packed and can go on either the front or rear rack.

Cheers
Old 01-08-23, 06:41 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 99 Posts
One advantage of a free standing tent is that in rain you can pitch it under a roofed area of a campsite, then just carry it to your spot.

Easier to move if your spot gets waterlogged too.
Likes For imi:
Old 01-09-23, 10:24 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
If I understand, your question is not where to put it but how to put it in there. I found it best to just take a corner of the rainfly, and push it into the bag without folding or rolling it. After you have shoved the whole thing down and compacted the air out, take the tent section and push it in randomly as well, just pushing it down until it's squeezed down as much as possible. This makes sense after you've done it a few times. It's something I learned from years of working with Boy Scouts. Folding and/or rolling the tent to put it away will create creases that get used over and over and the fabric will eventually weaken and leak at those points. Just stuffing it into the bag is not only easier, it will make the tent last longer. I also carry the poles separately on the outside of my saddlebag.

Marc

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.