Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Iowa overflow camping at state parks

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 05-18-21, 12:37 PM
IPassGas

Bikes: Schwinn, Nishiki, Santana, Trek, Rodriguez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts

Do Iowa state parks generally have overflow camping for bikers? Some other states have an no-turn-away policy for bikers. Weekends are always difficult. Yes we do stealth camp when necessary, but I do like a shower.
Thanks for the information.
Old 05-18-21, 03:27 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 471 Posts
A rather brief google.."which states have no turn away for bikers and hikers"
https://www.adventurecycling.org/rou...ping-policies/
Likes For fishboat:
Old 05-18-21, 03:54 PM
IPassGas

Originally Posted by fishboat
True, but no listing for Iowa. I suspect many state parks might find space for people in need, I have experienced this in other places even though a formal policy does not exist. Possibly, those with experience in Iowa could comment.
Old 05-18-21, 06:13 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
I’d try calling the particular parks you are interested in. Or maybe emailing the agency that runs the parks. The latter is how I learned that one park in NJ I sometimes stay in has an overflow policy for people arriving by water, foot or bike. It’s on the Delaware River, near the AT and on ACA’s Atlantic Coast route. That policy is not published on the web page for the park.
Old 05-18-21, 07:20 PM
IPassGas

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I’d try calling the particular parks you are interested in. Or maybe emailing the agency that runs the parks. The latter is how I learned that one park in NJ I sometimes stay in has an overflow policy for people arriving by water, foot or bike. It’s on the Delaware River, near the AT and on ACA’s Atlantic Coast route. That policy is not published on the web page for the park.
Yes, but there are many parks we will pass through. I have contacted parks people, but they are somewhat cryptic. Many states are trying to encourage bicycle touring for economic benefits. No doubt you would agree...what better way to attract bike tourists then to assure them that they will have a piece of grass at the end of the day to pitch their tent? Anyways, just trying to hear from people with experience in Iowa on the general attitude of local park people with regard to finding camp space for people on bike in the event that the campground is full.
Old 05-18-21, 08:07 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by IPassGas
Yes, but there are many parks we will pass through. I have contacted parks people, but they are somewhat cryptic. Many states are trying to encourage bicycle touring for economic benefits. No doubt you would agree...what better way to attract bike tourists then to assure them that they will have a piece of grass at the end of the day to pitch their tent? Anyways, just trying to hear from people with experience in Iowa on the general attitude of local park people with regard to finding camp space for people on bike in the event that the campground is full.
I agree, but with no official policy, general attitudes could change with staff turnover and might vary wildly by park. Someone’s experience last year not be the norm today.

If you live in IA consider reaching out. That’s how I got the lowdown on the NJ state park I mentioned. I was denied a space when the place was full despite there being ample room to accommodate a small tent. I would not have gotten a fire ring or picnic table, but I could have lived without those. Had to press on to a private campground maybe 20 miles down the road.

Ended up contacting the relevant agency after getting some ideas from ACA. My email was forwarded to the park supervisor who wrote back and told me about the park’s accommodation policy for people arriving under their own power. He apologized, explaining that perhaps the person I spoke with at the park office was not aware of it. Made total sense since she was young. Looked high school age. Possibly an intern. He also told me to call next time to let them no I was coming.

ACA can give you some good written material on the subject to help advocate, including policies that states have adopted. Good luck.

Last edited by indyfabz; 05-18-21 at 08:24 PM.
Old 05-19-21, 05:35 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
Not completely relevant to the question, but... You mention "stealth camping when necessary". I wonder if that is a misnomer for all camping for free in improvised non official campsites. If not, then I'll mention that especially in the middle of the country, camping for free with no need for stealth is often easy and readily available. Sorry if I am splitting hairs on the stealth thing, but folks use the term rather loosely so it isn't always obvious what they mean.

On the original question, it would be nice if all states had a policy of not turning away cyclists. On the other hand not having any policy is better than nailing down a policy of turning them away when official sites are full. At least the lack of a policy leaves staff feeling like they have a little leeway. I suspect that I have benefitted from that leeway in many cases where if the policy were nailed down the staff would have turned me away. My point being that in our lobbying for a no turn away policy we should maybe tread a little lightly in pushing for clarification.

Good luck in your efforts.
Old 05-19-21, 09:23 AM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 192 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
From that list, I can confirm that Arkansas and Wisconsin were very willing to work with us, but my lone attempt in Missouri, the camp director needed some convincing that their state participated in the policy of not turning away a person on a bike. My advise to all, if you know what states you're going to be traveling thru, consider taking a copy of the state's "No turn away" policy if it exists because often park personnel won't even know of it.
Old 05-19-21, 09:43 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
I live here and have never camped at a place where there was no space because why?

Some campgrounds are county run, some state run, some federally run, and some town run. I would bet that allowing overflow will be completely based on the individual location.
Somewhere like Saylorville Lake's campgrounds could be a hard NO for overflow. https://www.recreation.gov/camping/campgrounds/233455
But somewhere like Audubon IA which is a random small town, I could see you being allowed to squeeze into a plot of grass on the outskirts of the campground/park. https://www.auduboncountyia.gov/tourism/parks.aspx
Old 05-19-21, 09:50 AM
boomhauer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by IPassGas
This was my experience two years ago in Iowa. I would call but no one would give a definite answer or tell me to go ahead and make a reservation thru their internet system.
I went from the Missouri boarder to a Bluegrass festival in Stratford, Iowa in July then turned east to go to Wisconsin.
I didn't want to make any reservations for the usual reasons (not sure of the weather, etc...)
All of my concerns were way overblown. Yes, most of the sites were often taken but I always found a way to stay there.
Had more luck at city and county parks rather than state parks.
People in Iowa are used to RAGBRAI and are very welcoming of people on bicycles. You will see. There are not many better places to bicycle tour than Iowa as far as accommodations are concerned.
Keep in mind, that these are my opinions. I often sleep in odd ball places because they were available and easy and close to a food store or restaurants.
There are many small small towns that have RV sites with only 8 slots. I often slept in one of the slots and was the only person there. Keep your options open.

Last edited by boomhauer; 05-19-21 at 10:17 AM.
Old 05-20-21, 06:19 AM
IPassGas

Originally Posted by boomhauer
This was my experience two years ago in Iowa. I would call but no one would give a definite answer or tell me to go ahead and make a reservation thru their internet system.
I went from the Missouri boarder to a Bluegrass festival in Stratford, Iowa in July then turned east to go to Wisconsin.
I didn't want to make any reservations for the usual reasons (not sure of the weather, etc...)
All of my concerns were way overblown. Yes, most of the sites were often taken but I always found a way to stay there.
Had more luck at city and county parks rather than state parks.
People in Iowa are used to RAGBRAI and are very welcoming of people on bicycles. You will see. There are not many better places to bicycle tour than Iowa as far as accommodations are concerned.
Keep in mind, that these are my opinions. I often sleep in odd ball places because they were available and easy and close to a food store or restaurants.
There are many small small towns that have RV sites with only 8 slots. I often slept in one of the slots and was the only person there. Keep your options open.
Thanks for the info boomhauer and mstateglf. We are nearing the start of our tour, can't wait! Iowa>Minnesota>Wisconsin>UP>Michigan
Likes For IPassGas: