Old 01-01-23, 11:31 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Recommended PNW bike events

I am pretty keen on participating in the many biking events in the PNW in 2023. Some rides off the top of my head that I have participated in in the past include:
  • Tour de Blast
  • RAMROD
  • Skagit Spring Classic
  • High Pass Challenge
  • Tour de Whatcom
  • Flying Wheels
Are there any other rides that people can think of and recommend? I am interested in road rides such as centuries or organized club events and/or anything that involves a climbing challenge. No gavel recommendations please as I have not jumped on that bandwagon yet. Thank you.
Old 01-02-23, 05:08 PM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
I am pretty keen on participating in the many biking events in the PNW in 2023. Some rides off the top of my head that I have participated in in the past include:
  • Tour de Blast
  • RAMROD
  • Skagit Spring Classic
  • High Pass Challenge
  • Tour de Whatcom
  • Flying Wheels
Are there any other rides that people can think of and recommend? I am interested in road rides such as centuries or organized club events and/or anything that involves a climbing challenge. No gavel recommendations please as I have not jumped on that bandwagon yet. Thank you.
STP, Seattle to Portland. I never did it but I only lived there 5 years. It seems a right of passage. Some people do the 200 miles in one day but it is set as a 2 day event.
Old 01-04-23, 09:17 PM
NoWhammies

I've done the STP twice. Not a bad event. I have thought about doing RSVP, but I have not exactly figured out the logistics of getting to Seattle to start the ride.
Old 01-04-23, 10:00 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Yeah, STP is not to be missed, at least once. The one-day IMO is the only way to do it. It's very well supported and a lot of fun, a whole circus of riders all heading in the same direction, all day long. Not a lot of climbing, maybe 6500' IIRC. I've done it many times. Flying Wheels is supposed to be a training ride for it.

In the early spring, it's Chilly Hilly. It's hilly, all right. A fun way to do it is to get to the ferry early and get a place near the front. Then go like stink for a while to get out ahead of all the dangerous riders and stay there. Then go around twice to make it a good long ride.

The Kitsap Color Classic is also fun, choice of different routes of different lengths.

Many people really like RSVP though I've never done it. Hopefully it'll go off this year - there've been border/COVID issues.

In terms of non-club rides I have several favorites:
Starting from the Colonial Creek Campground parking area on Highway 20, ride to Mazama and back, 100 miles, 10,000'. Or whatever proportion of that one can handle: Rainy Pass and back, Washington Pass and back, or Lone Fir Campground and back.
Starting from Ohanapecosh campground, ride over Chinook Pass, right turn at Hwy 12, then back to the campground, 114 miles, 8,000'. Have a good hydration plan for this one
Starting from Ohanapecosh campground, ride over Cayuse Pass, descend to the Sunrise road, ride to Sunrise, reverse course.
Starting from the RAMROD Deli Stop, ride to Cayuse or Chinook Pass, descend and climb to Sunrise, back to the Deli Stop.

That'll keep you busy for a while.
Old 01-07-23, 09:44 PM
NoWhammies

Wicked recommendations. Thank you. Will have to give them a try. I have a couple of new events I want to try out this year - The Viking Tour in Poulsbo and Blazing Saddles - but I am always looking for new and different rides.
Old 01-12-23, 12:05 PM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 83 Posts
Although I have not done either Chelan Century Challenge or Spokane's Lilac century get good reviews. Although shorter Spokane's 8 Lakes Leg Ache is fun, good course, well supported and supports a worthy IMHO cause. Formerly Ellensburg's Manastash Metric is a great route however the organizers called it quits the year before the 'rona.

Cascade's RAW (ride around Washington) gets high reviews as well, a multi-day tour that changes from year to year.

Not in Washington but Chafe 150 in Sandpoint Idaho is a great ride. Coeur d'Alene's Couer-d-fondo is pretty stellar as well.
Old 01-12-23, 10:42 PM
NoWhammies

Thank you Black wallnut I have not heard of any of those rides. I will check them out.
Old 01-15-23, 03:30 PM
BritishV8

Bikes: 1979 Bridgestone SkyWay, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 2002 Specialized Hardrock Comp, 2018 Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Blackberry bRamble - a century around Eugene Oregon

CycleOregon - I loved riding their week long Classic, but they have shorter rides too

RondePDX - If you miss the group, download the routes from Ride-with-GPS and ride them on your own time. Lotsa steep hills, surprise cut-throughs etc. - brilliant routes!

Last edited by BritishV8; 01-15-23 at 03:35 PM.
Likes For BritishV8:
Old 01-15-23, 04:43 PM
NoWhammies

Thank you BritishV8 I will check them out.
Old 01-15-23, 05:13 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
The ride that is as much event as ride - the week long Cycle Oregon. No one day measures up to those posted above. About 450 miles total. Route changes from year to year but about every 5 it goes up to Crater Lake. It's not cheap. Little over $1000 before their bus ride from Portland airport, the tent and ported camping, the excellent espresso booth, beer, pizza ... but you can bring your own tent, get yourself there and never get your wallet out again and still eat and drink enough (non-alcoholic) drink to ride the miles and gain weight.

Rider support is excellent. CO set the standard for food, showers, music, ... and they have it down. They have also found some magic places to ride. Have ins with Forest Service, the State, counties, etc. to get privileges not all rides see. (Their purpose is to boost the economies of rural Oregon and highlight those towns and places so we spend our money there. All those entities know that and have seen it play over the past 30 years. CO earned those favors.)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 01-15-23, 09:33 PM
woodway
Squeaky Wheel

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
The ride that is as much event as ride - the week long Cycle Oregon
I've done this ride twice. The first time we started in Medford OR, went into Northern California - Yreka and Happy Camp and came back up through Grants Pass to Medford. It was a memorable week. The second time we started in Enterprise Oregon, went up into Washington - Walla Walla, Waitsburg, Clarkson and back through Pendleton to Enterprise. Also a wonderful week. Support was great and evenings in camp were great. Highly recommend.
Old 01-18-23, 09:32 PM
NoWhammies

Thanks folks. Sounds like Cycle Oregon deserves some serious consideration. The longest event I have done is the two day STP ride. But a week ride through Oregon might be just the ticket to try out something different and new. If you have any photos to post, please do.
Old 01-23-23, 09:55 AM
woodway
Squeaky Wheel

Here are a few from the 2nd year I did Cycle Oregon, where we went up into Washington.

In camp

On the road

On the road

Lot's of cimmunity support

On the road
Likes For woodway:
Old 01-23-23, 09:59 AM
woodway
Squeaky Wheel

If you decide to ride Cycle Oregon, my advice is to pay extra for tent and porter service. We brought our own camping gear the1st year and paid for Tent and Porter service the 2nd - Tent and Porter wins hands down. You roll into camp, your tent is setup and waiting for you with your bag inside. All you need to do is grab a shower, crack a beer and wait for dinner and the evening entertainment to start!
Old 01-27-23, 09:56 PM
NoWhammies

Wicked. Thank you for the advice. I am going to take a look at the ride and see how if I can fit the ride into my schedule. I am only now starting to book my summer events. First up - The Viking, following by the Skagit Spring Classic.
Old 02-05-23, 10:47 PM
busygizmo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
I’d second the Chelan Century, nice well organized ride on hilly mostly low traffic roads. The ride is done as three loops so you can call it a day if you run out of gas. Wenatchee Century is pleasant enough, best part is around Leavenworth. Heat can be a shock for west-siders. The year we did them had been cool and wet in Seattle then hit 99F at Wenatchee and low 90’s at Chelan.
Mazama Bike Ride is nice, chance to ride the north Cascades highway over two days with support. Very limited ride size due to limited lodging in Mazama. There are long stretches on the route without water. We ride to Washington and Rainy Passes from Winthrop or Mazama almost every year, stunning scenery but the traffic seems to be getting worse every year.
Favorite organized ride every year is Ride the Hurricane, ride up to Hurricane Ridge with the road closed to cars. Mt Baker hill climb is great if the weather cooperates but it’s in September so it’s a crapshoot.
Cycle Oregon had a good reputation but the number of riders gives me pause. BRNW puts on similar rides with around 300 riders. We haven’t done one yet because of timing and cancellations but we did two similar rides in Colorado and the WACANID and enjoyed the group size.
As mentioned above there’s a ton of options for self supported rides around Rainier, traffic is much better on weekdays.
Likes For busygizmo:
Old 02-06-23, 12:16 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
Is there an organized mixed surface ride in the Paloose region of eastern WA?

What's in the Columbia River regions?
Old 02-06-23, 09:59 PM
woodway
Squeaky Wheel

Not the Palouse, but the Waterville Plateau above Wenatchee. Date not set yet, last year if was late June.

(6) Bloom Gravel P/B Wenatchee Valley Velo | Facebook
Old 03-10-23, 02:28 PM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 210 Posts
Does anyone know if Ride542 is back? The hillclimb from Glacier, WA, up to Artist's Point (Mount Baker)?

I've climbed up to Hurricane Ridge and feel like Artist's Point is the next big one to take on (outside of the Rainier climbs, at least!)
Old 03-11-23, 06:20 PM
NoWhammies

Ride542 has been back for several years now. The ride is no longer organized by the fellow who coached the women's ski team though. The ride is now known as the Mt. Baker Hill Climb challenge.

Here's the link: https://bakerhillclimb.com/
Old 04-17-23, 07:19 AM
SeattleRider57

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I would add Passport2Pain on Vashon to this list. I've participated 3 times now.

https://www.passport2pain.org/
Old 04-18-23, 09:01 PM
NoWhammies

SeattleRider57 I have looked at Passport to Pain several times. I am very much intrigued about the ride as I like hill climbing. I am curious about this ride though. What distances have you done? Is the ride supported at all? Any insight you can offer? Thank you.
Old 04-19-23, 09:33 AM
SeattleRider57

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I've only done the long route, which is ~80 miles and 10k climbing. How it works is they give you a little card that is like a fake passport, and they give you a stamp at the ~18 stops along the way. At each stop, they have food and water, plus one extra stop in the middle around lunch, so there is plenty of support. I actually made a good decision the last time I rode and brought less food, lightening the pack which made the climbs a bit easier. The first time I did it I didn't know what to expect and I rode with a Camelback - that was dumb. The only downside is catching the ferry in the morning(you should drive on as both ferry docks are a ways away from the start), but once you're on the island everything goes smoothly. It's a fantastic ride, with some really steep pitches. Not sure if you've been out to Vashon before, but lots of 8-12% climbs. Here's the map:

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/40796551?lang=en
Likes For SeattleRider57:
Old 04-22-23, 02:25 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18354 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Another ride you could keep in mind is Ride the Rim. Usually in September, half of Crater Lake is closed to traffic and for bikes.

There is the American Lung Association Reach the Beach ride. It used start in several places including Monroe, Oregon. But they've changed to only start in the Portland area, heading to Lincoln City.

Do you run? Perhaps the Hood to Coast relay There is also the Portland Marathon

Keep your eyes peeled for Pedalpalooza, a whole month of bicycle activities in the summer.

Check out TravelOregon. There are several "Scenic Bikeways". I've been up and down the Willamette Valley Scenic Bikeway several times.
https://traveloregon.com/things-to-d...ion/bicycling/

HWY 242 (McKenzie Pass) is very beautiful. It is closed now, but they allow cyclists to hop the gate and ride up the hill with cars. I don't remember when it is opened to cars, but it would be a good ride for late May or early June.

HWY 101, Oregon Coast is also popular, but expect a narrow road with lots of traffic.
Old 04-22-23, 09:40 PM
NoWhammies

Excellent. Lots of good suggestions and advice. My first organized ride of the year, one that I have never done before, is the McClinchy Mile. Planning on doing the 100k route as it is early in the season and I am still getting my legs under me. Definitely looking forward to the ride though.

I do need some rides for July. I have a tone in June and August, but not as so many in July.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.