Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Anyone else in N-1 mode?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Anyone else in N-1 mode?

Old 01-25-23, 08:03 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 729 Times in 383 Posts
N+0.5 right now.

-I have a decent road/touring bike. Race geometry, but heavy with a clunky wheelset. Frame is one size larger for comfort.
-A decent gravel/CX bike.

And a CX bike with a mix of Dura Ace/Ultegra 10 speed stuff, and a fairly lightweight alloy Roval wheelset. This bike has a crack in the frame (carbon fiber) and the ring of death around the steerer tube. I'm looking for a affordable frameset, sized 54/56, to mount all of my 10 speed stuff on. I would like a 17.5#+/- rig, built for climbing and my fast rides. A bike I can get into a more aero position...

I am short legged, long bodied. 6' with 30" inseam. Looking at older Lemonds with long top tubes, possibly an aluminum Lemond.
Old 01-25-23, 10:44 PM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
In the last two or three years I’ve given away four bikes and lots of stuff from the parts bin. I still have four.
Part of me would like to reduce further, but I really like all four that I have now.
Old 02-01-23, 07:04 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 2,206 Posts
I'm down to about a dozen road bikes, 1 tandem, 1 mountain.
N - 10, if you count 2 project bikes, since ~Halloween.
59-61cm is the sweet spot, everything else ('cept one) is gone. Mostly 58cm's gone but a couple above 61.

My future will not accommodate the space. The hobby will continue to reward me, regardless of number I have. But favorites are, well.... favored highly.

Last edited by Wildwood; 02-02-23 at 06:26 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 02-01-23, 07:58 PM
sshakari

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, Merckx liege 75, Cinelli Vigorelli

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 61 Posts
Every time I sell a bike - I end up getting a replacement. So its not n+1, its actually n-1= n+1. Currently have 3, but would have more if Im willing to have arguments about the space in my closet.
Old 02-02-23, 07:23 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
I recently (last couple of years) got 3 recumbents for my wife. She didn't like any of them. Given the current market, I got them really cheap; but OTOH given the current market they're not going to be easy to sell. I guess they're 'guest bikes' now.
Old 02-02-23, 07:49 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 299 Posts
N+6 but will have to reduce the collection when I eventually move out and down size. I'm trying to figure out what will be my perfect bike as I slowly fade off into the sunset. I don't think it will be road bikes as I figure my body will be all sore and stiff riding those, never had much interest in mtn. biking so maybe a gravel bike that I could swap tires? maybe just a nice flat bar touring bike? Not sure.
Old 02-04-23, 04:58 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked 1,954 Times in 1,086 Posts
I just took the frame that was for sale on CL and built it back up. Then, today, I noticed that it was time to repost the adds for the other 3 bikes. I reposted them at higher prices.
Old 02-06-23, 07:33 PM
canalligators
Old guy & bikes

Bikes: Rans V-Rex, Raleigh International, Rans Sequoia, GT Timberline, Double Vision tandem, Optima Baron, old Raleighs.

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 47 Posts
I keep one bike per usage. And since I no longer have a spouse to influence N, that number has naturally settled at 9. Five of them are touring-capable. Plus two stored for family members, one project bike, and two that need new homes. Note that I cannot pass by any English three speed on the curb, I take in strays.
Old 02-07-23, 11:33 AM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
I have four here and two here and there. Two are perfect but I’ve put a midrive motor on one of the perfect ones which makes it less than perfect so I was thinking of a custom frame for ebiked perfection but now that I’m getting fitter maybe I should just be happy with what I’ve got.
Going through some self image changes as age is making it obvious that I can no longer hop on a bike and burn up 100 miles at any moment.
Old 02-07-23, 03:06 PM
RH Clark

Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 449 Times in 246 Posts
I have narrowed it down to 6 different style bikes that I ride fairly often. I bought all of them used from just $15 to about $1000. I would like another right now, but I keep asking myself if it would really do better than what I have.