Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

how do you alert your presence to other pedestrians/cyclists/motorists?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-15, 01:33 PM
snow_echo_NY

Bikes: Scott Genius, Surly Crosscheck, Yuba Mundo cargo, Specialized Dolce Triple (stolen 5/8/15)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

-whistle? (EDIT: whistle and siren are not legal to use in NYS or NJ)
-bell?
-horn?
-is there anything else?

i've used a bell since 2011 but that didn't prevent an oncoming cyclist from looking at the vista instead of the road then running right into me sending me flying last year.

i am getting the kickstarter fly12 (light/camera/alarm). i'm contemplating getting a GPS. i just want to protect myself on the road.

when i'm winded, i'm tired of continually shouting out to people to get their attention. i need something louder that i can dispense even when winded.

a nurse in the ER after my accident last year says he uses a whistle when he cycles to alert pedestrians meandering into the bike paths - i suppose thats loud enough for other cyclists and motorists.

what works for everyone? why do you use it? thanks for your feedback...

Last edited by snow_echo_NY; 03-19-15 at 09:42 AM.
Old 03-06-15, 01:43 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Bell for pedestrians and bikes, Airzound Airhorn if they don't respond. Airzound for mototists.
Old 03-06-15, 02:01 PM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
Bell. Works about 99% of the time. I've got a loud voice for the other 1%.
Old 03-06-15, 02:19 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I've honestly never had to alert a pedestrian or cyclist of anything. I can go months without even seeing another cyclist, even in the summer. Cars, well, airzound, but I only ever have use of it maybe 4 times a year, and about half the time I'm just basically yelling at them for having run me into the median (oncoming cars passing in my lane, for instance) so it doesn't actually do any good. Sometimes someone's about to pull out of a parking spot though and the airzound has always stopped them.
Old 03-06-15, 02:25 PM
cobrabyte
one life on two wheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Old 03-06-15, 02:25 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Originally Posted by snow_echo_NY
-whistle?
-bell?
-horn?
-is there anything else?

i've used a bell since 2011 but that didn't prevent an oncoming cyclist from looking at the vista instead of the road then running right into me sending me flying last year.

i am getting the kickstarter fly12 (light/camera/alarm). i'm contemplating getting a GPS. i just want to protect myself on the road.

when i'm winded, i'm tired of continually shouting out to people to get their attention. i need something louder that i can dispense even when winded.

a nurse in the ER after my accident last year says he uses a whistle when he cycles to alert pedestrians meandering into the bike paths - i suppose thats loud enough for other cyclists and motorists.

what works for everyone? why do you use it? thanks for your feedback...
Most peds seem to use ear buds.

I use a Marine Air Horn. Also works on Dogs about to bite.

Old 03-06-15, 02:43 PM
snow_echo_NY

Bikes: Scott Genius, Surly Crosscheck, Yuba Mundo cargo, Specialized Dolce Triple (stolen 5/8/15)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have a loud enough voice, but not always for the surroundings. the city can get extremely loud with cars, pedestrians talking and/or oblivous and pedestrians on bikes who look around instead of looking at the road/path (some of the cyclists here). which makes commuting a nightmare at times. i once led a train of 15 bikes across a bridge shouting "heads up! coming thru!" and other things b/c there were so many oblivious pedestrians. the bike commuters following behind me thanked me at the end for my resilience to keep doing it and the patience. was definitely out of breath b/c the constant shouting takes your attention from the road/path which i don't like.

that's a great placement for the air horn, thanks for the photo 10 wheels
Old 03-06-15, 02:51 PM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I just ride around people, I stopped announcing myself as it usually just resulted with the person turning into me.

Old 03-06-15, 02:54 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
"on your left"

or

"left side"

or if those fail

"that means get to the right i'm passing you"
Old 03-06-15, 03:05 PM
snow_echo_NY

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks i do all those things

i ride around and behind pedestrians a lot, giving pretty much everyone else right of way and staying far away from them as possible. on a crowded path, it's not always feasible b/c everyone is wedging themselves into a tiny space.

the calling out thing i do as well, on your left or right - but when i have to do it constantly (like 10 minutes straight the length of the bridge, plus the uphill/downhill aspect and controlling my speed), it's tiring and distracting. two things i don't want on a commute. i want to be alert and vigilant at all times.

i figured if the lady was looking at the vista instead of me she wouldn't notice me, i was wrong. she certainly couldn't hear me or my bell. the winds and the pedestrians were far louder than my bell. as we passed, she was startled and drove her bike into me. if i had something in which i was definitely heard she would have paid attention to the road/path.
Old 03-06-15, 03:09 PM
tougher

Bikes: Canyon Inflite AL 8.0s (s for commuter edition), Trek Madone 3.5

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
By breaking (metal disc pads)
Old 03-06-15, 03:35 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,467 Times in 1,434 Posts
I am going to try out Grant Petersen's trick in his book Just Ride. I bought a bunch of jingle bells, and I'm going to sew a bunch onto a strap. I'll loop the strap over the handlebars. They will ring passively as I ride along, and when I want to ring them actively, I'll shake the strap. We'll see how that goes.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-06-15, 03:46 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Lights.
Old 03-06-15, 03:56 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
I have a bell but tend to forget it's there. By the time I remember it is and reach for the trigger, the moment has passed. I'm the same way with a motorcycle horn. Some of this is due to the fact that you steer a bicycle or motorcycle with your fingers and toes while you control a car with your arms and legs. Whoever invented the car horn and then made the button ten inches wide across the middle of the steering wheel was either a genius or history's greatest monster.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 03-06-15, 04:00 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5781 Post(s)
Liked 2,578 Times in 1,429 Posts
My primary method is voice, which I can modulate from conversational to a yodel or hog call style according to the situation. It's never failed me yet. In heavy, low speed traffic, I'll use the occasional tap on a car or truck body when I think it's needed.

For things like not getting right hooked I'm not comfortable until the driver is alerted enough to turn his head and make eye contact. The tap method works for that.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-06-15, 05:20 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CrankyOne
Bell. Works about 99% of the time. I've got a loud voice for the other 1%.
+1 to this.

Bells work a majority of the time and they are associated with bicycles.
Old 03-06-15, 05:25 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts

A polite friendly "Ding" followed by more urgent and precise imprecations.

-Bandera
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
crane_bell.jpg (42.9 KB, 21 views)
Old 03-06-15, 05:28 PM
RoadTire 

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I am going to try out Grant Petersen's trick in his book Just Ride. I bought a bunch of jingle bells, and I'm going to sew a bunch onto a strap. I'll loop the strap over the handlebars. They will ring passively as I ride along, and when I want to ring them actively, I'll shake the strap. We'll see how that goes.

Yah. Right. You are going to sound like Rudolf leading Santa's sleigh. Come to think of it, I have a short string that I ran through the woods just before dawn every Christmas Eve util my kids admitted to figuring out it was Dad, not Santa, Ho-Ho-Ho-ing.

I wonder ... that might be kinda cool on a bike, at 1 am, on the MUP. Ching-ching-ching...
FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.
Old 03-06-15, 05:30 PM
RoadTire 

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ring my bell a ways behind cyclists and peds. If that doesn't work I scream like a little girl when the move out in front of me.
FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.
Old 03-06-15, 05:34 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I think that shouting and yelling cycling specific jargon at pedestrians is rude. I use a bell and it works for most situations, unless somebody is deaf or has ear buds with volume cranked up to the max.
As for drivers I prefer to make eye contact, I hate cars with very dark tinted windows, I can't see who is hiding behind it and I can't tell if they even see me.
Old 03-06-15, 06:26 PM
CrankyOne

Originally Posted by the sci guy
"on your left"
Seems to often get translated from ear to brain in to "move to your left" or perhaps "go to the spot on your left". I've also been told that I seem unable to say it in anything but a rather unpleasant anger tone which doesn't come through with my bell.
Old 03-06-15, 06:28 PM
CrankyOne

Originally Posted by joeyduck
Bells work a majority of the time and they are associated with bicycles.
Good point. I think that association is important and conveys that they're getting ready to be passed by a bicycle which is larger and possibly faster than a runner or jogger so people aren't as alarmed. More pleasant sound too.
Old 03-06-15, 06:30 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5781 Post(s)
Liked 2,578 Times in 1,429 Posts
Originally Posted by CrankyOne
Seems to often get translated from ear to brain in to "move to your left" or perhaps "go to the spot on your left". .....
I've run into this so often that I gave up on "on your left" for pedestrians entirely, and rarely use it for bikes. I've found that "bicycle passing" or "bicycle back" let's them know I'm there, then I wait until they make a move, and adjust accordingly. Saves me lot's of zigged when I should have zagged surprises.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-06-15, 06:35 PM
erig007

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
option 1: throw some bananas
option 2: don't bother and ride through
Old 03-06-15, 07:00 PM
Joe Minton

Bikes: Gary Fisher Hi-Fi Deluxe, Giant Stance, Cannondale Synapse, Diamondback 8sp IGH, 1989 Merckx

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Bell first; loud voice second; really loud voice third.
The bell usually works.
Loud "Hey!" comes next.
Once in a while I need to shout "STOP!!".
I can be pretty loud and, for some reason, I've found the the word stop works rather well.

Joe

BTW: I've found that a "Good morning." or "How are you today?" gets the best and most generous response if there's time for such niceties.

Last edited by Joe Minton; 03-06-15 at 07:26 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.