Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commute Planning Street View Car on Shoulder

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-15, 10:37 PM
RoadTire 

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm planning this year's commute experiment, this time on the west half, using Google Maps Street View. Seeing a car captured driving half on the shoulder doesn't give me a any nice fuzzy feelings...

Attached Images
FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.
Old 03-20-15, 12:48 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
That's why it's best to not use the shoulder unless absolutely necessary.
Old 03-20-15, 12:58 PM
cobrabyte
one life on two wheels

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
I'm sure they will hit you and you should avoid riding your bike to work at all costs.
Old 03-20-15, 01:03 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,462 Times in 1,433 Posts
Why was the driver driving that way?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-20-15, 01:06 PM
cobrabyte
one life on two wheels

Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
probably staring out their rear view mirror at the crazy Google car with a giant camera on the roof behind them lol
Old 03-20-15, 01:36 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Cutting the inside of a sharp corner in case cars in the outside lane are doing the same thing? Looks like they had enough visibility to know that the shoulder was clear.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 03-20-15, 01:38 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,462 Times in 1,433 Posts
We can only guess why the driver was doing that. We will never know. But we already know drivers do that. Don't they do it everywhere? So this is a poor reason to decide it's not a good to commute along this route, unless you are looking to reinforce a decision you've already made.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-20-15, 02:10 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
wow, great photo, and great insight into this roadway. nice wide shoulder tho
Old 03-20-15, 04:50 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Ducking the Eye of Mordor
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 03-20-15, 05:03 PM
RoadTire 

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We can only guess why the driver was doing that. We will never know. But we already know drivers do that. Don't they do it everywhere? So this is a poor reason to decide it's not a good to commute along this route, unless you are looking to reinforce a decision you've already made.
Naw, still scoping the route(s) on that end. If all goes well and I get enough hours on the bike, I will try the 30 mile each way commute by early summer. This picture, along with a couple new threads about near misses, lights, and clothing colors is giving me food for thought about better be-seen rear lights and a bright orange backpack during the day.
FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.
Old 03-20-15, 05:06 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18372 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Some drivers cut corners (bikes will do that too).

Some drivers drive a bit to the right. That doesn't mean they're not vigilant. -

Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
That's why it's best to not use the shoulder unless absolutely necessary.
Where do you propose riding? On the white line (smack in the middle of where the car is driving)?
In the middle of the lane where 99% of the other cars are driving?
On the yellow line... and just hope for the best?

That looks like a nice wide shoulder, minimal debris, perfect for cycling.
Old 03-20-15, 05:21 PM
RoadTire 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
wow, great photo, and great insight into this roadway. nice wide shoulder tho

I'm starting to drive that route on my way to work at 3 PM and back at 1 AM so that I get an idea of traffic patterns and choke points. Google street view is helping also. This western half of my route is mostly roads, not the bike path, and a couple areas where there is higher traffic by freeway access. There are 1 or 2 busy 4-lane intersections in those access areas, with only stop signs that concern me. Not only that, I found out part of the road is closed until August and will detour but that may not be all bad either.

Old 03-20-15, 05:31 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12759 Post(s)
Liked 7,672 Times in 4,070 Posts
They were definitely trippin' cuz they saw the streetview car. Might even have been pulling a yewie so they could follow it!
Old 03-20-15, 05:32 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK

Where do you propose riding? On the white line (smack in the middle of where the car is driving)?
In the middle of the lane where 99% of the other cars are driving?
On the yellow line... and just hope for the best?

That looks like a nice wide shoulder, minimal debris, perfect for cycling.
Are you seriously suggesting that sound logic should be used in place of irrational ideology in the real world?
Old 03-20-15, 08:19 PM
loky1179

Bikes: 2x Bianchi, 2x Specialized, 3x Schwinns

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I'm guessing the driver was posting to bikeforums from his smartphone, and inadvertently swerved onto the shoulder. This website can be deadly.
Old 03-21-15, 09:41 AM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
They were definitely trippin' cuz they saw the streetview car. Might even have been pulling a yewie so they could follow it!
That was my very first thought, too. I've never seen the Google Maps street view van, but my guess is that it's a sight to see with a camera strapped to the top, or whatever. I, too. might have pulled over to the side to let the van pass and get a clear view of the road without making the driver have to dodge my car for the next thirty miles worth of shots.

Also, motorists drive a little more vigilantly when they can see bicycles on the shoulder. He/she would not have done that if he/she had seen a cyclist in that lane prior to this photo. The big problem I see is what's coming around that corner.
Old 03-21-15, 09:45 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12759 Post(s)
Liked 7,672 Times in 4,070 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
That was my very first thought, too. I've never seen the Google Maps street view van, but my guess is that it's a sight to see with a camera strapped to the top, or whatever. I, too. might have pulled over to the side to let the van pass and get a clear view of the road without making the driver have to dodge my car for the next thirty miles worth of shots.

Also, motorists drive a little more vigilantly when they can see bicycles on the shoulder. He/she would not have done that if he/she had seen a cyclist in that lane prior to this photo. The big problem I see is what's coming around that corner.
The street view car in that still was going the opposite direction from the SUV in frame.
I've seen a Subaru street view and a couple of Prius street views. Still havent spotted a street view e-trike yet.

I've seen one parked in the same church parking lot in portland 3 different times. Then I noticed "parking spot" marker on the map in that lot. I wonder if more are marked on google maps like that.

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 03-21-15 at 09:49 AM.
Old 03-21-15, 12:15 PM
RoadTire 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was wrong about the 2 intersections - they are controlled by lights. Here's a picture of one. I think the left turn (car coming at us in the picture) has a green turn arrow also. On the far side is the Luce Line crushed limestone path. The cycling time on Mtka Blvd would be not more than 5 minutes but if I'm concerned I suppose I could take the path. (tires are MP4SC 25's) I'm going to make this western half part of my weekend rides for a bit until I'm fit enough for the whole commute.

Hmmm...all this planning might seem a little OCD....

Attached Images

Last edited by RoadTire; 03-21-15 at 12:20 PM.
Old 03-22-15, 04:26 PM
Beth W

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not ideal, but no commute is. I ride in San Francisco, mostly on dedicated bike lanes next to the vehicle lanes, and have to move into the vehicle lane every few blocks to go around a delivery truck, car or some other obstacle (including pedestrians) hanging around in the bike lane. I've even seen cars use the bike lane (where it's separated by a line of pylon-like markers) on Market Street. Sometimes they even get trouble for it, but not often.
Old 03-22-15, 04:50 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadTire
I'm planning this year's commute experiment, this time on the west half, using Google Maps Street View. Seeing a car captured driving half on the shoulder doesn't give me a any nice fuzzy feelings...

I'm guessing the driver was anticipating a sharp right turn and was hugging the right side to leave lots of room on the left in case he does swerve. His hugging the right side went a little too far.

When there's questionable road conditions I do that on a highway on ramps and some fast roads.
Old 03-22-15, 05:10 PM
CliffordK

I snagged this photo off of Google Maps for another discussion showing the double white line that Portland is now using to delineate some of its bike paths. I don't remember the double line when I was up there so it may be a new feature. I do like the new green stripes across turn lanes (I always look for cars anyway... a big car always trumps the right-of-way).

Anyway, someone pointed out that I had inadvertently snagged a photo of someone cutting the corner. Fortunately only driving on the outer white line.

That is Beaverton Hillsdale HWY. 4 lanes + a turn lane (which varies in width). Part of Beaverton Hillsdale HWY has a bike path, part doesn't. I much prefer riding on the section with the bike path than without. It just has too many cars to not have a bike path.

That was also, however, one of the roads where I had one of my most extreme evasive actions with a car pulling in front of me, and my having to change course over about 2 lanes.

I will say the effect of the shade is pretty striking in the photo.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
BeavertonHillsdaleHWY.jpg (104.5 KB, 36 views)
Old 03-24-15, 10:06 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
And yet all too often motorists don't even see a cyclist on the shoulder where they get hit and killed.
Old 03-24-15, 10:19 AM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
And yet all too often motorists don't even see a cyclist on the shoulder where they get hit and killed.
True,
Perhaps there should be a nationwide campaign to encourage cars to stay to the left of the "Fog Line".

However, riding as far right as possible, one has much less exposure to the inattentive driver than when riding in the middle of the lane.

Old 03-24-15, 10:21 AM
scroca
commuter and barbarian

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Around here there are NASCAR wannabes who take the inside -- onto the shoulder and across the center line -- to maintain their 70mph through the curves, even though the posted speed limit is 55mph.

It doesn't stop me from riding on the shoulder. If it did, I wouldn't have much of a commute left as most of my route is on a state highway.

I am hoping that someday, if need be, I will hear them on the rumble strip in time to bail out off to the side. If I don't or can't, I expect I won't be posting here to let you know about it.