Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

So fellow commuters; what do you do eat for lunch?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

So fellow commuters; what do you do eat for lunch?

Old 03-22-15, 05:50 PM
Matariki
Not quite there yet

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes + an ICE trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Fueling is not some "fixation", it's a necessity for people who are very active physically. Why should I starve myself ??...My daily routine can be very intense...I need a minimum of 2500-3500 calories per day or else I would look and perform like a starved POW...A person who bikes to work, works at a physically demanding job and then does fitness/strength workouts has different needs then somebody who has a sedentary job and sits at a desk all day.
Perhaps "fixation" was the wrong word. I had in mind the folks who are frequently nibbling while wasting work time planning for lunch and then scrounging for a pick-me-up in the afternoon (because they just need it or they can't get through the rest of the day). None of these folks I encounter are getting any smaller so pardon my misstatement. Psychologically believing that you need so many calories to "survive" is not necessarily related to physical need.

Also, remember that the thread is about what one eats for lunch. In my case, I am most physically active during the day and I just don't tolerate well the feeling of food in my gut when I am physically active (and yes this is probably psychological as well). Just because I have a couple of pieces of fruit for lunch doesn't mean that I starve myself. I usually pig out at dinner, after which I can relax.
Old 03-22-15, 06:49 PM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
90% of the time I pack a deli sandwich, with yogurt, a few different fruit offerings, maybe some carrot sticks and some other type of carb. I would eat out more but I also don't want to spend the money.I do treat myself once a week.
@TransitBiker - i miss wawa!
Old 03-22-15, 07:02 PM
TransitBiker
contiuniously variable

Bikes: 2012 Breezer Uptown Infinity, Fuji Varsity

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bmthom.gis
90% of the time I pack a deli sandwich, with yogurt, a few different fruit offerings, maybe some carrot sticks and some other type of carb. I would eat out more but I also don't want to spend the money.I do treat myself once a week.
@TransitBiker - i miss wawa!
They may be expanding soon....... building a huge new HQ and everything.......

- Andy
Old 03-22-15, 07:07 PM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TransitBiker
They may be expanding soon....... building a huge new HQ and everything.......

- Andy
That would be great! I heard a few years ago they built one in orlando...but nothing btwn VA and there. I used to take daily trips when I still lived in MD
Old 03-22-15, 08:04 PM
Sullalto

Bikes: Jamis Quest Comp

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I pack 'leftovers' in tupperware, generally. Not so much leftovers as deliberately cooking enough to freeze for the future. I live alone; not too hard.

Past that, there's a mexican food truck at work, a grocery store and walmart across the street, along with a plethora of fast food around my workplace. I just eat whatever.

Originally Posted by Matariki
Everybody is different, I reckon. I ride 12-20 miles round trip depending on what route I take. My route is basically is dependent on weather and how much time I have. I ride at a 13 mph average pace in an urban setting on a 40-45 lb bike (loaded weight). I weigh about 160 (same as I did 40 years ago).

On the few days that I eat a bigger lunch, my trips home are measurably slower and less comfortable. Personally, I think the fixation on fueling and hydrating is more psychological than physical.

Good luck.
I somewhat agree and disagree. I think most people worry too much-since virtually all of us(even here on the forum, who ride probably 10x a week)have a few lbs we could lose. A bit of a calorie deficit for a few days is not fatal!

But I do feel like the quality of my rides is noticeably different when I'm sloppy about eating-both in quantity(too much or too little) and quality.
Old 03-22-15, 08:23 PM
ussprinceton

Bikes: '18 S-Works Tarmac (white letters), '18 S-Works Tarmac (black letters), '22 Allez Elite, '16 Emonda SL, '03 fuel100, '14 adventure3

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 66 Posts
baby spinach with poppy seed salad dressing and a glass of mango juice
Old 03-22-15, 08:29 PM
cobrabyte
one life on two wheels

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
snack: usually a banana and coconut flavored yogurt

lunch: almost always dinner leftovers from the night before or a sandwich

Expanding to the subject of diet I tend to follow this rule: Eat Breakfast Like a King, Lunch Like a Prince, and Dinner Like a Pauper

I wake up hungry and my appetite tapers as the day goes on so it suits me well.

Last edited by cobrabyte; 03-22-15 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-22-15, 08:34 PM
vol

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Most of the food mentioned above sound very bland and the only advantage may be that no one will steal your food.

Originally Posted by ussprinceton
baby spinach with poppy seed salad dressing and a glass of mango juice
Very few calories. Health addict?
Old 03-22-15, 08:42 PM
cobrabyte
one life on two wheels

Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by bmthom.gis
That would be great! I heard a few years ago they built one in orlando...but nothing btwn VA and there. I used to take daily trips when I still lived in MD
not even exaggerating 2 years ago there were zero Wawas in St. Petersburg, now we have at least 8.
Old 03-23-15, 06:49 AM
12strings

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Since I generally only can commute by bike 2 days a week, I'm happy to have "less-than-stellar" lunches on those days. I generally keep large containers of both trail mix, and plain peanuts in my office. On bike days, I often will simply try to eat a lot of both during the day, and I'm not hungry. Or I go next door to taco bell.
Old 03-23-15, 07:32 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 2,603 Times in 931 Posts
A few months ago I changed my lunch habits. I go to Subway or Jimmy Johns once a week or so. Subway & Jimmy Johns are about 1 mi from work and I walk. I take an hour lunch. Every couple of weeks there is a good Mexican restaurant that has takeout near work. Or I make a sandwich, tuna usually, or have cottage cheese and some fresh veggies.

Before that I used to eat out every day. Decided to try to make my meals a little healthier, and cheaper.
Old 03-23-15, 02:53 PM
Todzilla

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10 5 105, Peugeot PX-10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My company gives me a car to use throughout my day. I negotiated that in my contract on the basis that I needed to bike commute.
Old 03-23-15, 08:11 PM
Buffalo Buff

Bikes: 2015 synapse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I work in a kitchen, so I just make whatever I'm in the mood for.
Old 03-24-15, 01:11 PM
KenshiBiker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On days I ride, morning snack is usually a banana to go with my coffee. Lunch (regardless of whether I ride or drive) is usually a sandwich (tuna salad, grilled turkey, deli meat, PB&J are the usual suspects) - pickled hot peppers and sweet pickles as a condiment, a couple of apples (usually a Granny Smith and a Fuji), one navel or three Mandarins oranges, and a hard-boiled egg. I usually haul the fruit and eggs (along with clothes for the week) on Mondays when I drive (due to after-work commitments); that way I can just bring the sandwich in a sturdy plastic container without fear of it getting squished.
Old 03-24-15, 01:26 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
Grazing through the cafeteria at work, usually. Occasionally I'll get "out" with a coworker for lunch, but the caf' is surprisingly good. It only takes a little work to avoid the deep fried dishes and sweet (but delicious) desserts.
Old 03-25-15, 10:57 AM
snow_echo_NY

Bikes: Scott Genius, Surly Crosscheck, Yuba Mundo cargo, Specialized Dolce Triple (stolen 5/8/15)

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i eat whatever they serve at work. there are days i forget to go get it though. then it's cheeseplates, chocolates or cookies, whatever is lying around the office.
Old 03-28-15, 04:37 PM
westrid_dad

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Cannondale Topstone 105

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
My co-workers think I'm boring and/or anti-social since I don't go out for lunch, but my standard fare is now a NutriBlast, usually kale blended with various fruits, nuts, and seeds. I'll also bring a Greek yogurt, granola, string cheese, additional fruit, and carrots. I also typically drink a gallon of water before I'm done with work. This can make my commute home a challenge, with a full bladder. ��
Old 03-28-15, 05:34 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 63 Posts
When I "bag" lunch (infrequent) I have greek yogurt and nuts. When I have a quick lunch out of the office, probably my favorites is a plaintain sandwich with Sriracha at the local vegetarian constabulary, and a local draught beer. Recently Maine Brewing and Pretty Things have been on tap, which makes me a happy camper.