Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Home Bicycle Workshops. What can you contribute?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-16, 07:24 PM
The Thin Man 

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 114 Posts

I don't usually cross post my bicycle blog to the C&V forum but this one has some overlap. Plus, over the years, I have pulled a few ideas from some of you fine folks and incorporated them into my own world.

Below is a link to my home bicycle workshop. I covered a few of the basics like tool organization, component/bolt storage and my personal favorite, a Park + Feedback Sports mashup workstand.

I know the topic has been brought up before but I would be thrilled to revive the subject with thoughts and images of your workshops, sly shop solutions and anything else bicycle work space related to document what we can for current and future C&V'ers. We can always learn from each other, especially with the magnitude of intelligent members we have here.

My Home Bicycle Workshop

Old 08-13-16, 07:42 PM
Kactus

Bikes: 1962 Schwinn Paramount P12, 1971 Schwinn Paramount P13-9

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
I think that's the nicest home shop I've seen. I can't give you any ideas (well maybe a kegerator), but I sure will use some of yours!
Old 08-13-16, 08:01 PM
The Thin Man 

Originally Posted by Kactus
I think that's the nicest home shop I've seen. I can't give you any ideas (well maybe a kegerator), but I sure will use some of yours!
Thanks, Kactus! I appreciate the kind words.
For the record, I'm not trying to show off what I've got, I'm just trying to build a better mousetrap. And the best way I've found to do that is to continue observing and learning what others have done, then tweak the model to fit my needs.

Actually, I'll consider the kegerator. Thanks for the tip!
Old 08-13-16, 08:08 PM
turkey9186

Bikes: 2014 CDale EVO, 2007 System Six, 2004 Litespeed Solano, 2002 Burley Duet

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice setup.
I am trying to convince my wife a 10X12 Tuff Shed with a loft would make a great home shop and doghouse for me.
Old 08-13-16, 08:18 PM
Kactus

Bikes: 1962 Schwinn Paramount P12, 1971 Schwinn Paramount P13-9

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by The Thin Man
Thanks, Kactus! I appreciate the kind words.
For the record, I'm not trying to show off what I've got, I'm just trying to build a better mousetrap. And the best way I've found to do that is to continue observing and learning what others have done, then tweak the model to fit my needs.

Actually, I'll consider the kegerator. Thanks for the tip!
It's well lit, organized, well equipped, roomy... it really would be tough to improve on. (when you get that kegerator, let us know!)
Old 08-13-16, 08:28 PM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
A TV with wall mount, some chairs and a mirror. Watch games or enjoy the view. Mirror is just cool to give dimension and I stick all cool decals I get around outside. I tool mine out of an old projection TV.

Oh yea, a refrigerator.

Ncely organized, looks great.
Old 08-13-16, 08:53 PM
The Thin Man 

Originally Posted by Bikerider007
A TV with wall mount, some chairs and a mirror. Watch games or enjoy the view. Mirror is just cool to give dimension and I stick all cool decals I get around outside. I tool mine out of an old projection TV.

Oh yea, a refrigerator.

Ncely organized, looks great.
Thanks, @Bikerider007!

To another side, my wife has a small setup to watch movies while she does her hobby (sewing). But, point taken from your comments.

You and @Kactus both have me thinking a bit more about a refrigerator. It'd be nice to have some suds down there...
Old 08-13-16, 09:33 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Your shop looks great and well organized! I especially like your Park/Feedback stand modification.

I love seeing photos of people's home shops so thanks for posting.
Old 08-13-16, 10:01 PM
Otis

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
My shop and bikes are in the basement as well. Advice, do not get in the habit of going up and down the stairs in cleated bicycle shoes.

I would have saved some dough on the work-stand base and just bolted the post to the floor.

Enjoy the year-round comfort of the basement!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54616231@N04/
Old 08-13-16, 10:40 PM
The Thin Man 

Originally Posted by Otis
My shop and bikes are in the basement as well. Advice, do not get in the habit of going up and down the stairs in cleated bicycle shoes.

I would have saved some dough on the work-stand base and just bolted the post to the floor.

Enjoy the year-round comfort of the basement!
Cool in the summer, warm in the winter (the furnace has a slot that opens to pour heat out). The basement really is the perfect solution. If only I had an external door outside. I have to go up the stairs to get out which can be a pain. But, all my cleated shoes are upstairs so no problem there.
Good point about the workstand base. Although bolts mean drilling and anchors which is a little more permanence than I want. I still like being able to move around if need be. But, one day I may bolt it down.
Old 08-14-16, 06:31 AM
long john

Bikes: cuevas

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Help!

Thanks my pic is a call for help thanks for the help! I started out great but I hung to many tools on the board! Time to rudice clutter. I'll repost after the reduction.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (22.2 KB, 1242 views)
Old 08-14-16, 06:59 AM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
That's an awesome setup, @The Thin Man, but clearly you are going to need more storage space for parts. have you seen the many "show me" threads on this topic? This was a good one.
Old 08-14-16, 07:20 AM
Spaghetti Legs 

Bikes: Numerous

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Quoted: 1676 Post(s)
Liked 3,084 Times in 911 Posts
Wow. I will not post pics of mine which is pathetic in comparison.

I like to hang cranks on a peg board. Looks cool and keeps them from getting dinged up.
Old 08-14-16, 07:52 AM
TimmyT 
Keener splendor

Bikes: Black Mountain Cycles Road and canti MX, Cannondale CAAD12, Bob Jackson Vigorelli

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 51 Posts
That's a very nice space. I can't top that, as I have a table in my Manhattan kitchen dedicated to bike work. My space is tiny in comparison.

However, there's one thing I have found useful and that's a small gooseneck led lamp. I have this one: JANSJÖ LED work lamp - black - IKEA The advantage of it is that the lamp is small enought that I can put this in the line of sight and look around it into a part (like a frame tube or something else long and skinny).
Old 08-14-16, 07:59 AM
vtchuck

Bikes: Romic

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 21 Posts
Wow! That looks just like my basement workshop..... except mine has low ceilings, lousy lighting, parts, rags and boxes of unsorted crap piled everywhere, mouse poop and puddles of water on the floor.

Edit: And spiders..... large, hungry spiders. I am impressed... there is nothing in my life that is close to being that well organized.

Last edited by vtchuck; 08-14-16 at 02:15 PM.
Old 08-14-16, 08:14 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
I wouldn't be able to find a thing in that sweet shop. My approach is a memory challenge. I use this approach to keep me mentally fit. That's what I tell people.
Old 08-14-16, 08:16 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
"one word, Michael, one word: pegboard..."
Old 08-14-16, 08:31 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Very tidy setup!

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...r-dungeon.html

A lavoratory would be nice.

Last edited by oddjob2; 08-14-16 at 09:24 AM.
Old 08-14-16, 08:38 AM
shipwreck

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
You know how some guys paint shadows on the pegboard to show where a tool goes? I do that as well, but improved it to match my style by just painting a big splotch on the bench to show where the pile goes.

Seriously, that's an awesome setup. My work space is dedicated to my pottery studio, so all my bike parts are stored in a much smaller space. I use plastic storage tubs with lids to keep like parts together and find-able, one for suntour, one for shimano, one for misc deraileurs, brakes, one for posts, two for stems, several for cranks and rings, and so forth.
Additionally, those zippered plastic bags that sheets or pillow cases come in are handy for storing individual parts in to keep them from getting scuffed. I store all my freewheels in these, as well as brake levers and things. Keeps crank arms together. Little parts are in two of those hobbyist pull out drawer organizers.

All my tools pretty much fit into one of those bucket buddy things, but I am looking for a better mobile solution. It gets over full.

And my work stand was built by a backwoods redneck savant out of various pipes and the like back in the seventy's. Its very mad max, but works well enough. I'd be embarrassed to show it though. Until recently student loans took priority over a new stand. Soon as I take care of all the other things that I put off to pay Sally Mae, I might upgrade.
Old 08-14-16, 10:36 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,695 Times in 934 Posts
Goodness! How can you find anything in there?

There's no piles that are meticulously organized, and tool sets split up into different piles, or drawers or boxes, and some in the garage, some in the basement, some at some random guy that you forgot you gifted it to...

Someday...

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 08-14-16, 10:55 AM
The Thin Man 

Thanks for the comments and additions, everyone! Keep them coming!

Since I only have a small area designated for storage, it keeps me lean. Of course, we all want/need lots of parts on hand but I've found that there is a tipping point for me. Luckily, I have a co-op that I buy, sell, trade to constantly. Not everyone has that luxury though.

Cranks on a pegboard is a good idea. It's tough to see but mine are there too (far right).
@TimmyT, that LED light is a nice solution. I've got an orange, vintage archictecht lamp lamp that is clamped to project light onto the vise (rebuilding hubs, etc.) but I've found that the light could be a bit more concentrated. I like your solution.
Old 08-14-16, 12:45 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
My evloving shop. My bikes used to share this space with the woodshop

Old 08-14-16, 03:11 PM
Moof753

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very Professional looking shop. I really like your paper towel roll holder. Will have to assemble one of those ASAP.

I originally purchased a bench-mount Park stand but quickly found I didn't like access to only one side of the bike at a time. I thought of ordering the pole and base from Park, but ended up using 1 1/2" galvanized pipe with a flange bolted to my garage floor. Since I still park my vehicle in the garage, I can simply unscrew the stand and place in a corner when not in use.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_4130s.jpg (94.8 KB, 1151 views)
Old 08-15-16, 01:39 PM
bikamper
1991 PBP Anciens

Bikes: 1954 Robin Hood, 1964 Dunelt, 1968 Raleigh Superbe, 1969 Robin Hood, 197? Gitane, 1973 Raleigh SuperCourse, 1981 Miyata 710, 1990 Miyata 600GT, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 113 Posts
My Dad taught me everything I know about workshop organization.

Unlike my Dad, I cannot put up another building when one gets full, so I purge every now and then. I also practice memory location as to where I put down the last tool I used. Bicycle specific tools are in the second from the bottom drawer in the red roll around. The black roll around holds a boat load of parts and my 3/4" drive set.

In my weak defense, I also rebuild motorcycles, small engines, carbs, lanterns, and anything my wife manages to break in her free time in this space.
Old 08-15-16, 03:50 PM
Rotten

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Circuit, 1986 Schwinn Passage, 1987 Shogun Katana, 2018 Giant Anyroad Advanced, 2013 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 93 Posts
My home bicycle workshop consists of an inexpensive workstand
And this old two drawer Craftsman toolbox, I got tired of everything rattling around and used toolbox foam and cut out locations for most of the tools. I maintain about a dozen bikes regularly and others as needed. This makes it easy to transport to the best open space available. Tools I have slowly accummulated as needed and I need a couple of more tools that might require me to find another toolbox. Maybe someday I'll have a garage or man cave where I can setup something more permanent but I don't really feel to restricted with my setup.

Before my father passed away he flipped bikes to keep himself busy in retirement.
Here's a pic of him in the heart of his 'shop' under a large awning in his backyard.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.