Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Heartbreaks: What Happened to Your Old Bikes?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Heartbreaks: What Happened to Your Old Bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-21, 03:30 PM
OlderNotWiser
Ageing Warrior

Bikes: Bianchi Caurus Proto frame that needs tlc and re-equipping with difficult to source parts that I cannot afford!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by tendency
My '91 Specialized S-Works steel mountain bike - custom triple butted Tange Prestige frame/fork and I'm told it was designed by DiNucci. Full Suntour XC Pro. Beautiful bike and one of the nicest (perhaps 2nd best after my '88 Brodie) hard tail non-suspension MTB I've ever ridden. Anyway, about 5 years ago gave it to my bro who had been lusting after it for 10 years and the doofus turns around and sells it 'cuz he needed $$$.
The total rotter!
Old 06-01-21, 04:24 PM
VtwinVince

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 146 Posts
I got into road riding as a kid, first bike was a Peugeot, then I got a Bottecchia and a Schauff, both of which I destroyed in accidents. Today I'm old but still have a garage full of cool old bikes. But I do miss some of the collection that I was forced to liquidate when I got a divorce 20 years ago, including a Klein TeamSuper, a DBR Axis TT and a Grandis Superleggera. Sigh.
Likes For VtwinVince:
Old 06-01-21, 04:52 PM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 206 Posts
Probably missing something, or messing up the time line, but here is what I got!

No name brand kids 20 inch bike with banana seat and ape hanger bars… probably given away

Sears 3 speed with coaster brake… coaster brake arm came loose/broke and spun around and ripped the dropout off the bike

Schwinn Varsity… sold to sister for $75

Sears Ted Williams Free Spirit (531)… ran into rear of parked car replaced by sears for a reasonable price

Sears Ted Williams Free Spirit (531)…repainted (rattle can) and lots of parts swaps. Stolen while chained to a tree at a local park (or I never found the right tree after swimming?)

Viscount Aerospace Pro… Stolen from ? (can’t remember)

Viscount Aerospace Pro. Traded in on next bike because a local Paramount owner was always teasing me about how real quality bikes have lugged frames.

Zebrakenko Storm(?).. sold to GF, then took it back after next bike was stolen since I didn’t have a car

Custom Paterek frame build with Campy and Zeus parts… stolen from parents garage while dog slept on the other side of the screen door.

Ciocc Mockba 80… first all Italian bike…Stolen from the locked storage cage in the locked basement at my apartment building.

Back to the Zebrakenko (see above) first time I ever owned 2 bikes at the same time… stolen from outside of the Bike shop I worked at early in the morning one day when I was opening up.

Sanyo mountain bike. bought the bike because it was a warranty claim because the rear brake cable stop loop broke. fitted it with a seat bolt hanger and wound up selling to my best friend. no idea what happened to it,

Raleigh Racing USA, present from my GF (wife? Time line is hard when you are my age!)… decided to drive into the garage with it firmly attached to my Yakima roof rack!

Specialized Allez (1993 or1994) Still own this one (I sold it to a co-worker, and I saw on Strava he wasn’t riding it, so I bought it back)

GT Zaskar LE, ball burnished Al frame, with NOLEEN fork... Stolen by a unscrupulous moving company.

Performance Scattante Cyclocross bike... sold for $250 since I never liked it or rode it.

Pinarello FP Quatro (2013?). still own. I am messing around with going long and low and using for TTs on occasion.

Ciocc (unknown model, late 80’s)… stripped off the components and sold the frame on BF classifieds after the 2019 Eroica CA

Masi 3 Volumetrica..Bought on BF classifieds, and still ride about once per week. my 2021 Eroica CA and Touroica ride

Argon 18 Krypton pro. Newest bike in the stable, and main go to ride

Current the Argon 18, Allez, Masi, and Pinarello

all this not counting the wife's bikes

Last edited by mgopack42; 06-01-21 at 05:50 PM.
Likes For mgopack42:
Old 06-02-21, 10:30 AM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

Bikes: 3x8 & 3x9

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 54 Posts
In college, I helped a guy move and he gave me an old bike he didn't want anymore. It was a rusty white Free Spirit "ten speed", as we called them then. It had foam "Grab-On" grips that were rotting away and stem shifters. I rode it occasionally my senior year in college. I had no tools or oil for the chain or anything. I put air in the tires at filling stations. I think I just left it in the bike rack (unlocked, as usual) when I packed up my stuff and left at the end of my senior year. It cost me nothing and I hope someone else got some use out of it.
Likes For Squeeze:
Old 06-02-21, 10:54 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 633 Times in 404 Posts
I still have most of my bikes. That said, sometime 1975-1978 when I was working at a Panasonic dealer, somehow got a DX1000 or DX2000 (cannot remember) frame and fork. Built it up as a 1x5 and tubulars, etc., and used it for local criterium racing 1980-1981 (I did OK, won a few). Then I bought my own home and moved out, it was a condo so space was at a premium. I built it up again with whatever parts I had laying around (I recall Maxy cranks and a Zeus Criterium RD) and gave it to my baby half-brother. Pretty sure he never rode it, not once. He still lives in the same house and I keep hoping when he's rummaging around in the basement he'll find it but, as of right now, he has no idea where it went. I wouldn't mind having it back.

Old 06-02-21, 11:19 AM
fettsvenska 

Bikes: 1978 Raleigh Competition-1974 Raleigh Folder-1983 Austro Daimler-198? Fuji Monterey-Surly LHT-Surly Karate Monkey-Surly Cross Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts
There are a couple of bikes that I sort of wish that I still had but for the most part I don't have any real regrets about selling any of them. I actually have more regrets about all of the bikes and parts that I wish that I'd never bought. I just sold off several bikes and parts that I had lying around for at least 6 years and I collected almost $4,000 for all of it. I'm not sure what I paid for all of that stuff but I know that I sold it at a sizeable loss.

The only bike that I really regret losing was a bike that was stolen while I was still in college. I was a graduate student at the University of Oregon back in the 90s and I didn't have hardly a penny to my name. I hitched a ride with a friend up to the state surplus auction in Salem one Saturday and I picked up an ugly GT. I don't know what model it was because it had this crappy rattle can paint job. I just knew it was a GT because of the seat stays. However, it was complete and had a full Deore XT drive train and brakes. I paid $30 for the bike at the auction and then had to sink another $70 or $80 into it for tires, brake pads, etc. I loved that bike and rode it everywhere. It was the bike that had become part of me. I did my best to take good care of it and never left it unlocked but in the middle of the night someone came and cut my lock with a torch and stole it.
Old 06-02-21, 11:20 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Gave one away to a Premed Doc.