Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Relationship between tire width and rim width

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-15, 02:59 PM
UnCruel 

Bikes: Trek Émonda SL 5, Trek Checkpoint SL 5, Giant Trance X 2, Trek Farley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 52 Posts

Short question: If I switch to a wider tire, do I also need to change out my wheels/rims?

Longer details: I have a Specialized Sirrus which was sold to me as a hybrid. I mostly ride it on roads, but occasionally take it onto easy trails. I am quite happy with it, except that it has rather poor traction if the trail is a little muddy. Up to now, it has had the original "All Condition" 700x32c tires on it. However today, while replacing the tube, I evidently flubbed the job and tore out part of the bead. Now I'm in the market for new tires. For a while now, I have had my eye on tires that are a little knobbier on the sides but still fairly smooth down the center, such as the Specialized Borough Armadillo. However, this is a slightly wider tire (45mm instead of 32mm). Can I reasonably expect to put this wider tire on the same wheels, or do I need to replace the wheels if I switch to this wider tire? As far as I can tell, the current rim width is 24mm.

As a side note, I am rather disappointed in these Kevlar "armadillo" puncture resistant tires. Every time I spring a leak (which is often), I find myself pulling out three or four chips of stone that have become embedded in the tire.
Old 09-06-15, 03:10 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
First thing, how much clearance do you have at fork crown, brake bridge and chainstays?
Don't worry about the rims until you've determined that you have room enough for a wider tire.
While there are recommendations about tire vs rim width, it's rarely a critical feature.
In the tire chapter at sheldonbrown.com there's a chart about recommended combinations.
Old 09-06-15, 05:01 PM
UnCruel 

Bikes: Trek Émonda SL 5, Trek Checkpoint SL 5, Giant Trance X 2, Trek Farley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 52 Posts
That site, the chart, and all the information surrounding it were quite informative and exactly the sort of knowledge I was looking for. Thank you! Not only did it have the answer I was looking for, but I stumbled across a clue about tire inflation and all the rock chips I've been extracting from my tires.

And you are correct, now that I look, there is not much extra clearance at the chain stays, for both the added width and the added tire radius. I would have perhaps 2mm of clearance, and that's making assumptions about the new tire's profile.

I think I'm going to skip this idea, and stick to the original size.