Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why do you hate ALL MUPs?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 10-29-15, 12:19 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,012 Times in 518 Posts

I've seen it on BF and heard it in person, hate for ALL Multi Use Paths (MUPs). But why hate ALL of them. I understand hating the poorly designed/executed 'sidepaths' that are nothing more then a glorified sidewalk with no thought put to the people using bikes.

Here are some examples of the MUPs in my area (Minneapolis):

Cedar Trail -

(BTW - this section of the Cedar trail is three separate trails: one for foot traffic, one for westbound bikes, and one for eastbound bikes)

Midtown Greenway -

Why would you hate these routes?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20150725_101310_249.jpg (85.1 KB, 132 views)
midtown.jpg (101.7 KB, 134 views)

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 10-29-15 at 12:20 PM. Reason: added BTW note
Old 10-29-15, 12:22 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
I hate them because I (typically) ride faster than the general users of them and it is a pain to have to pass them constantly.
Old 10-29-15, 12:41 PM
09box

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I don't hate them. I just try to go on off times when there are less riders on it/less to deal with. Those two you posted..I wish there was something like that in PA!
Old 10-29-15, 12:44 PM
Yendor72

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2016 Framed Wolftrax

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
We pass a lot of people and sometimes have issues, but for the most part how can you hate this? I don't fully understand the hate either.

Dakota Rail Regional Trail

Carver County side

Hennepin County side
Old 10-29-15, 12:46 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by RPK79
I hate them because I (typically) ride faster than the general users of them and it is a pain to have to pass them constantly.
Just imagine trying to pass this bunch of people, who admittedly are enjoying themselves. I'll just leave the MUPs to them.

Old 10-29-15, 12:51 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
In Indianapolis there is the old Monon trail where there has been a fair amount of crime. I'd rather have motorists yelling at me than get robbed, stabbed or shot.

Monon Trail | Indiana Trails | TrailLink.com

On the weekends it's way too overcrowded with people from Bizzaro World. In Bizzaro speak "on your left" means scatter about randomly in any and all directions like super heated molecules. Chaos ensues.

Last edited by Doctor Morbius; 10-29-15 at 01:18 PM.
Old 10-29-15, 12:53 PM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
I use a couple of local MUPs almost every ride and I sure don't hate them. But you can't use them for training rides or Strava personal bests, and you do have to ride courteously and with consideration for other users.

I suppose it may depend on why you are riding. A very large percentage of my rides are fairly utilitarian in nature, and we have some trails that make it easy to get across town, often faster than taking roads because you avoid a number of lights. I'll also add that some of the trails around here are absolutely beautiful, taking in everything from pastoral landscapes to gorgeous ocean views. Count me in as a fan.
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Just imagine trying to pass this bunch of people, who admittedly are enjoying themselves. I'll just leave the MUPs to them.

But you could just yell, "on your left" and they would all move over to the side. Right?!
coupster

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
Most MUP's (I've never seen a 3 lane designated access MUP before) are wild west free for all's. Parents with toddlers on push bikes, adolescents on training wheels, adults on cruiser bikes, racer boys (and girls) trying to set STRAVA segment records, little wheeled assemblies (skate boards, roller blades, roller skates, scooters and the like), dogs on extendable leases (or not) and every one else (walkers or runners or crawlers) distracted by electronic pacifiers and nobody in control or aware of their surroundings. I'll take a 6 lane limited access Intertstate highway full of RV's and logging trucks before you'll get me back on one of those ?safe? alternatives.
Old 10-29-15, 12:54 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
... No, Your other Left..

the one by the river shore is a nice way to go to the Grocery mongers .

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-29-15 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-29-15, 01:00 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Originally Posted by Yendor72
We pass a lot of people and sometimes have issues, but for the most part how can you hate this? I don't fully understand the hate either.

Dakota Rail Regional Trail

Carver County side

Hennepin County side
Maybe it's a Minnesota thing? I ride the Dakota a ton, the east end is about 5 miles from my house. From my house to the end of the Dakota (Lester Prairie) and home is a metric century. Good times!
Old 10-29-15, 01:01 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

I'll ride them with my wife on the rare occasion she wants to ride. Mainly because she's more comfortable doing so. We putz along at a leisurely 11-12 MPH and I keep my head on a swivel to watch for riders behind us.
Old 10-29-15, 01:02 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
Maybe it's a Minnesota thing? I ride the Dakota a ton, the east end is about 5 miles from my house. From my house to the end of the Dakota (Lester Prairie) and home is a metric century. Good times!
Hey, I'm in MN, too. :|

I would run on those trails, but not ride.
Old 10-29-15, 01:07 PM
MR BIG STUFF

Bikes: 95 Cindercone

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'll hop that curb and they'll be out of my life in 30 seconds.

I love the MUP.
Old 10-29-15, 01:07 PM
badger1

Quoted: 1577 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 602 Posts
I don't. I completely understand why some prefer not to use them (MUPs: "multi-use paths" or 'trails'), but provided one accepts the inevitable restrictions, what's not to like?

Ours (typical views):

Three main spokes following branches of the river, plus connector sections. Each main spoke constitutes roughly a 20km out 'n back; put them together with some connectors and one has a decent ride, and the ability to extend from any spoke-end onto decent rural roads.
Attached Images
MUP 1.jpg (100.6 KB, 96 views)
MUP 2.jpg (105.5 KB, 94 views)
MUP 3.jpg (49.2 KB, 98 views)
MUP 4.jpg (100.8 KB, 95 views)
Old 10-29-15, 01:09 PM
GovernorSilver

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, Jamis Renegade Expert

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't hate all MUPs. In fact there's only one bit that I hate enough to avoid riding on it, and that's Potomac Ave. Trail north of the Potomac Ave. and Glebe Rd intersection - so many driveways and streets intersect it that it's just a glorified sidewalk.

I'd rather have MUPs in my area than not have them. I ride on streets with 2 or more lanes each way on my regular commutes too, but I'd rather ride on the MUP that parallels the GW Parkway for 10 miles than on the parkway itself, which is full of backed-up car traffic.

In another part of the city, there's an MUP that gives me an alternative to the 50-sec. wait at a traffic light to turn left, followed by another 50 sec. wait at the next immediate traffic light - often with a crazy dude wandering between the stopped cars (I once saw him put earbuds on a tree, then yell random obscenities at random people). Being able to bypass psychoman and those two long traffic light waits on the MUP is nice.
Old 10-29-15, 01:10 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by coupster
Most MUP's (I've never seen a 3 lane designated access MUP before) are wild west free for all's. Parents with toddlers on push bikes, adolescents on training wheels, adults on cruiser bikes, racer boys (and girls) trying to set STRAVA segment records, little wheeled assemblies (skate boards, roller blades, roller skates, scooters and the like), dogs on extendable leases (or not) and every one else (walkers or runners or crawlers) distracted by electronic pacifiers and nobody in control or aware of their surroundings. I'll take a 6 lane limited access Intertstate highway full of RV's and logging trucks before you'll get me back on one of those ?safe? alternatives.
I'll repeat myself, it must be a Minnesota thing. Our MUPs are a mixed bag, some (suburban) MUPs are chaos, and some are very orderly, easy, safe, and fun.
Old 10-29-15, 01:12 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

I might use the MUP between Hastings and South St Paul after they finish it in 2017. We'll see.
Old 10-29-15, 01:21 PM
ddeand 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 46 Posts
Another Minnesotan here. As with any trail system, there are always going to be certain trails that are busier than others and some that are busier at certain times. I absolutely love most of the trails in the Twin Cities, but I know that if I'm riding the River Road trails or the new Browns Creek Trail or the Greenway Trail, it's going to be busier than most others, and I'll have adapt to the traffic. I don't know if it's reasonable to expect MUPs to be user-free while you're out on a bike ride - maybe not the best places to be trying for a personal best. But as the photos show in previous posts, the trails here are beautiful! If I want to ride in solitude, the best routes for me are the gravel roads I ride out in the country.
Old 10-29-15, 01:39 PM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I like our Three Rivers Greenway. I don't want to do my whole ride on them, as you definitely have to contend with people taking up the entire path (I used to ride exclusively on one of them when I started riding), but it's nice to take them one way for the scenery and connect to other parts of the city that way. Back up in MD they have some good MUPs and rail trails. I think I might take my single speed cross bike up there over xmess and ride some of the NCRR trail.Pretty sure I remember it being gravel
Old 10-29-15, 01:51 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
I don't. I generally don't like riding crowded MUPs, but not all of them are crowded, and even the popular ones are not crowded all of the time. I rode about 100 miles of the Mickelson Trail in SD this past June. South of Custer on the second day I don't think I encountered even a half dozen people in that 45 miles. I had other stretches all to myself. The path along U.S. 93 between Lolo and Hamilton, MT has also been relatively user-free both times I have ridden it, and it sure beats riding on the highway. Even the GAP wasn't bad on a nice, September weekend.
Old 10-29-15, 02:00 PM
mprelaw

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In general, because people use them with their heads inserted fully in their rectal cavities.
Old 10-29-15, 02:01 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by 09box
I don't hate them. I just try to go on off times when there are less riders on it/less to deal with. Those two you posted..I wish there was something like that in PA!
While not paved, there is the Lower (rhymes with flower) Trail: Lower Trail | Pennsylvania Trails | TrailLink.com and the Ghost Town Trail: Ghost Town Trail | Pennsylvania Trails | TrailLink.com. During a cross-PA tour last year I rode 26 miles of the Allegheny River Trail between Franklin and Emlenton. Paved and lightly used on a nice Sunday morning. Just did the Lehigh Gorge Trail between Jim Thorpe and White Haven last weekend. Even on that busy day (leaf peepers) it wasn't scary as the trail is pretty wide. Go on a weekday and you will likely not see very many people.
Old 10-29-15, 02:04 PM
09box

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Those two trails look amazing but are on the other side of the state (i'm near Phila). The trail near Jim Thorpe is really nice.
Old 10-29-15, 02:06 PM
Podagrower

Bikes: Giant Defy Composite, Spechialized Ruby (hers), Niner RLT9, Miyata 712, Condor ??

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
My least favorite MUP has stop signs for every commercial drive it passes across, sometimes every 200 feet there is another stop sign. I understand that the DOT has to establish a right of way, but IMO, a stop sign every 200 feet just encourages us to run them all. The businesses are closed on the weekends, you can clearly see with plenty of time to stop, why couldn't they be yield signs instead? There are a couple of sections of MUP here that are always full of darting pedestrians, toddlers with training wheels, and those viet cong trip wire dog leashes-I ride those areas when I have no agenda and am not in a hurry and can tolerate maintaining a less than 10MPH pace. There are some other areas of MUP here that a freaking phenomenal, views, shade, and no traffic. I enjoy them quite a lot and am looking forward to the stretch from my office to my house being completed (maybe in 5 years, it's drawn and partially funded).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.