Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Frame bags: Apidura on Specialized Roubaix

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-21, 07:23 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts

I have an older Specialized Roubaix (2007 Comp triple in 52cm size) and am looking into bike camping. I am interested in full or half frame bags. Thinking about the Apidura Expedition 6L ... thoughts? recommendations?
Old 09-08-21, 04:47 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

I'll try one more time...

This is a small bike (52) so I'm thinking I will need
frame bag
handlebar bag
seatpost large bag

I'm hoping to put my water bottles either in the frame bag assuming I can access it easily via the zipper while riding or on the top of the top tube plus on the bottom of the down tube

suggestions?
Old 09-08-21, 05:00 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
With a small frame I would go custom and get full frame bags. UrbanDesert and Uraltour are good if you are balling on a budget.
Likes For Elvo:
Old 09-08-21, 05:03 PM
Symox

Originally Posted by Elvo
With a small frame I would go custom and get full frame bags. UrbanDesert and Uraltour are good if you are balling on a budget.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look them up!
Old 09-08-21, 05:06 PM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by Symox
I have an older Specialized Roubaix (2007 Comp triple in 52cm size) and am looking into bike camping. I am interested in full or half frame bags. Thinking about the Apidura Expedition 6L ... thoughts? recommendations?
here is my solution on my XS frame Ridley Kanzo AL:
Small Blackburn frame "triangle bag"
various B-Rad adapters from Wolf Tooth for water bottle handling.
Double bottle mount
B-Rad mounting bases
The water bottle doubler (what ever it is called) makes it so I can get to both bottles, with the bag taking most of the space, and still carry 2 more back up bottles. It is hard to see, but the red bottle cage is two side by side cages, so the snout of the bottle is outside of the plane of the frame, making access easier. The white bottle cages are storage, and get swapped to the red ones when needed (and stopped).

Last edited by mgopack42; 09-08-21 at 05:12 PM.
Likes For mgopack42:
Old 09-08-21, 05:17 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
I'll try one more time...

This is a small bike (52) so I'm thinking I will need
frame bag
handlebar bag
seatpost large bag

I'm hoping to put my water bottles either in the frame bag assuming I can access it easily via the zipper while riding or on the top of the top tube plus on the bottom of the down tube

suggestions?
If you go to their website, they have printable templates for the bags. You cut them out and tape them together and they show you how it fits in the frame.

With the full frame bags, you just put a hydration bladder in them and there is a port to run the hose out. The half frame bags in their expedition series are such that you should be able to put one in place and still use your water bottles on the frame. You might have to add a water bottle cage that is for side insertion.

At any rate, start with the templates. I've found them to be pretty accurate. You just need to have decent kindergarten skills with scissors and tape and away you go.

I have some of the racing series half frame bags and they should definitely fit. The expedition series should also fit, they have a lot of choices in half frame.

J.
Likes For JohnJ80:
Old 09-08-21, 09:14 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
If you aren't sure whether you will like bikepacking, why not just get a rack and bags? It will cost less, hold more, and be easier to pack.
Or do a hybrid setup where you have a rear rack and bags plus a handlebar roll.
https://www.axiomgear.com/products/r...iner-road-dlx/
This is a commonly referenced for road bikes without eyelets.

Look at swift and roadrunner as a couple of other bag options(there are seemingly endless options online).
Heck, a rack with a 30l compression dry bag on top(or just a cheaper dry bag) and a handlebar bag will hold more, cost less, and be easier to pack..

If you like it and want to invest in the boutique trendy bikepacking bags, then you will better know what you need vs what seems trendy and is just too small to be very effective/useful.
Likes For mstateglfr: