Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Campy 11 speed compatibility

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-22, 04:15 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts

I have been told several places that Campy groups are not inter-compatible. Does anyone know if this is really so and why? I can't see why this would be true since they all have the same lever "pull" ratio and the same distance between cogs of the cassettes. From what I can see it appears to me that the higher end groups have lower spring tension so that the Super Record might have problems shifting the Athena rear derailleur but I really couldn't say.

Does anyone have the straight scoop?
Old 03-01-22, 04:27 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18372 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
One of the things that happened mid release of the 11-speed was a change to the front derailleur design.

I've been successful with using the newer upright arm derailleur with the older white label shifters, and I have done some mixing and matching with Chorus, Record, and Super Record. I haven't used any of the lower groupsets, Potenza, etc. Nor do I have many of the newer generation 11-speed components (other than the one Chorus front derailleur).
Old 03-01-22, 04:29 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2238 Post(s)
Liked 3,429 Times in 1,793 Posts
Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will answer, but the one thing I can tell you is that Athena 11 speed requires quite a lot of user input to shift to a larger cog or chainring, enough so that I often find I don't get there with the chainring on the first up-shift attempt.
Old 03-02-22, 07:25 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts
CliffordK mention the big change I have seen and I think as you suggest some is over blown but the 2015 and later upper end derailleurs higher torsion spring rates cause problems with Potenza even though the cable pull is the same.
Old 03-04-22, 02:56 PM
CrowSeph

Bikes: BMC SLR01; Cannondale Trail; Lot's of project and vintage bikes..

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 101 Posts
I'm currently using on my roadbike a full campy veloce 2007 (10v) and a campy athena 2014 rear derailleur (11s).
When i destroyed my derailleur hanger (and more) the replacement available in the nearest shop were a new version of the campy veloce 2011 for around 85$ and an used athena for 25$ (last one for that price included a full set of cable and cable housing).
Since then my drivetrain is working precise as a clock. (wow , it's passed almost 6 years ago!).

edit: also on my vintage roadbike i have a mixed record/gran sport mixed parts and never had a problem.

Last edited by CrowSeph; 03-04-22 at 03:27 PM.
Likes For CrowSeph:
Old 03-07-22, 08:22 PM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
As mentioned above, the design of the front derailleur changed around 2015 or 2016. I understand that earlier shifters are not compatible with the new front derailleurs.

Among lower level groups (the ones I can afford) Campagnolo also claims that the older shifters (Athena) are incompatible with newer rear derailleurs (Centaur, Potenza), but I doubt that is entirely the case.
Old 03-09-22, 10:43 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldguyonoldbike
As mentioned above, the design of the front derailleur changed around 2015 or 2016. I understand that earlier shifters are not compatible with the new front derailleurs.

I'm wondering how that would be an issue given that Campy front shifters are not indexed.
Old 03-09-22, 11:47 AM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
I'm wondering how that would be an issue given that Campy front shifters are not indexed.
I'm just spitballing here, but you see in CliffordK's pictures how the upper arm is much longer in on the newer derailleurs (lower pic) than on the older ones. My guess is that the older shifters don't give enough cable travel to shift properly. It might work, but you might have to push the lever more than the traditional three clicks in order to get it to shift.
I'm just bored enough that I might go out to the shed and swap out a Potenza shifter for an Athena one and see what happens (I have one bike with Athena and one with Potenza).
Old 03-09-22, 03:41 PM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldguyonoldbike

Among lower level groups (the ones I can afford) Campagnolo also claims that the older shifters (Athena) are incompatible with newer rear derailleurs (Centaur, Potenza), but I doubt that is entirely the case.
11 spd SR/Record/Chorus changed in 2015. The updated parts have an "A" in a box on them, and are compatible with the pre-2015 parts as follows:

I'm not sure what the cross-compatibility with Centaur/Athena/Potenza is.
Old 03-12-22, 07:40 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Is there a department at Campagnolo that's responsible for obfuscation & confusion ?

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html