Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

6 weeks British Columbia (Start/End in Seattle)

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

6 weeks British Columbia (Start/End in Seattle)

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-22, 07:34 AM
tillev

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seattle --> Vancouver Island | Worth it?

Hello fellows!

i am planning a 6 week bike trip in British Columbia (Starting in Seattle) and wonder what is the best way to get from Seattle to Vancouver Island. I am staying in West Seattle so i see 2 options:

1. Taking the ferry from Seattle to Victoria (fastest)

2. Riding till Port Angeles via Southworth and take the ferry to Victoria

As i want to focus my trip on BC i donīt have more than 1-2 days for this part. Thatīs why i think riding via the San Juan is not a option.

Did someone ride the way till Port Angeles and can recommend it? Should i add this or skip it and directly take the ship to Victoria?

Also i havenīt booked any campsites as i want to be flexible. I read normally as a biker you always get a space ... in Canada... does this apply for Seattle area as well? What are your experiences?

Thank you & cheers

Last edited by tillev; 06-28-22 at 07:45 AM.
Old 06-30-22, 09:58 PM
garryg

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 141 Posts
I would not agree with the idea that you don,t get turned away from campsites on a bike in Canada. Very few hiker biker sites compared to say Oregon.
Likes For garryg:
Old 06-30-22, 10:06 PM
garryg

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 141 Posts
when your planning be awre that the anacortes sidney ferry is not running this year.
Old 07-01-22, 10:27 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
It's only a 2 1/2 day ride to the Tsawwassen ferry. It took me 4 days from North Vancouver to Green Lake. Hwy 99 was NO problem for me. The curb lane is reserved for buses, taxis and bikes.
Maybe find someone to drive you to Everette or something.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 07-02-22 at 09:44 AM.
Old 07-08-22, 11:54 AM
novecho_delta

Bikes: 2022 'Eventyr Ravn' Custom Ti Touring Bike, 2017 Norco VFR4 (Drop Bar Conversion), 2009 Specialized Crosstrail Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Hi Tillev,
Great choice - Vancouver Island is one of my favourite places to tour in the world. Locals are incredibly friendly toward anyone with bags on a bike, and there are plenty of route options. Plus the scenery is wonderful!
As for getting to the island, either option is sound. I haven't ridden either (yet), but I'm planning a trip to Seattle via VI next month and will be travelling via Port Angeles. The route seems easy, and there are options for riding away from traffic. The ferry is also $100 cheaper from Port Angeles, but depending on your pace, it might be longer than a single day's ride to get there from Seattle. The views on the road from Seattle to Port Angeles is wonderful, though.

As for camping - paid campsites are pretty friendly in my experience, and will occasionally find you a space even when they're full. I wouldn't count on this, however, as I have been turned away before. To be honest, though, there's really no need to pay for camping - free campsites are plentiful, and wild/stealth camping is super easy given the bike-friendly attitude from locals and the numerous parks/wilderness areas. I've never had an issue camping. Your choice though.

Hope this helps - let me know if you have any questions about riding on VI!

Cheers
Old 07-08-22, 04:52 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
A nice way to really get a feel for BC would be to ride from Seattle to Port Angeles, about 90 miles. Take the ferry to Victoria, a great city, and worth spending a little time there.

Head north east to Brentwood Bay and take the ferry across to Mill Bay. Head up the coast to Courteney, and take the ferry back across to Powell River, garryg's location. It is a lot fun and ferry rides from Powell River to Vancouver. This will give you a little better feel of what the BC coast is like. My wife and I rode this route in the other direction when we started our Pacific Coast Highway ride. We wanted to ride the entire road from where it started in Lund, BC to the Mexican border.

Depending on the type riding you prefer, there are several options for interesting loops starting in Vancouver. The Landscape changes drastically once you head inland. It can get warm.

Fraser River

Last edited by Doug64; 07-14-22 at 04:43 PM.