Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Bike Shorts - Again - Need Advice

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-08, 09:19 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts

I am going to try a pair of bike shorts to see how well I will like them, before committing big dollars to clothing.

I normally ride 30+ miles every day on a Specialized Crosstrail, mostly on MUP. But, would also like something that might give me more miles if I chose to.

I can buy a pair of Performance Century Shorts (reg $45,) or a pair of Performance Century Liqui Cell Shorts (reg $60) for $24 for either one. Sale price of $30, with a 20% coupon for one item.

Which one is going to give me a better idea of what they are like, and the better comfort.

I realize that these aren't as good as the more expensive, like PI, but I have to start somewhere. I feel this will be a good introduction.

Please Help...... All advice appreciated.

Last edited by Wanderer; 07-27-08 at 09:24 AM.
Old 07-27-08, 09:26 AM
TruF 
My other car is a bike

Bikes: Specialized Ruby

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Wanderer,

The big thing to determine is how much padding works for you. More and thicker does not = better for everyone. What do you wear when riding now and why the move to bike shorts? Your answers may help you narrow your choices about what type of short to purchase.
Old 07-27-08, 09:47 AM
will dehne

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The padding (chamois) is to get the moisture away from your body and not to cushion your behind.
Sitting upright with all your weight on your behind will cause discomfort on a 30 mile or longer ride. Good advise is to stand up every 10 minutes or so and pedal slowly in a bigger gear. That is good for circulation.
Another good idea is to position your bars such that a good portion of the weight is on your hands and thus relieving your behind.
I do 50 miles regularly in shorts without padding.
Padded shorts must be kept very sanitary and dry or you can develop a nasty rash which is hard to get rid off. Ask me how I know. It took me months to get rid of the latest rash.
My experience is that cheaper shorts make me feel hot and that is a no-no for me. I rather wear shorts without padding for that reason. They wash more easy and dry fast.
BTW, I bike every day.
Old 07-27-08, 10:00 AM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by will dehne
The padding (chamois) is to get the moisture away from your body and not to cushion your behind.
Sitting upright with all your weight on your behind will cause discomfort on a 30 mile or longer ride. Good advise is to stand up every 10 minutes or so and pedal slowly in a bigger gear. That is good for circulation.
Another good idea is to position your bars such that a good portion of the weight is on your hands and thus relieving your behind.
I do 50 miles regularly in shorts without padding.
Padded shorts must be kept very sanitary and dry or you can develop a nasty rash which is hard to get rid off. Ask me how I know. It took me months to get rid of the latest rash.
My experience is that cheaper shorts make me feel hot and that is a no-no for me. I rather wear shorts without padding for that reason. They wash more easy and dry fast.
BTW, I bike every day.
Will, you just ride to much.
Old 07-27-08, 10:03 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

I currently ride in regular compression shorts ( longer legged briefs underwear, lycra type) under a pair of very lightweight shorts. These both do a good job of moisture movement.

Riding, standing, is not an option for me due to a bad knee. Bike has been set up, and re set up, and readjusted, to the most comfortable position.

My sit bones get uncomfortable after 20 miles, but not unbearable at 30.

I usually do my 30 mile loop in 2 hours flat if the trails aren't congested..... 2:05 today due to church and dog walkers, and subdivision riders. (Remind me not to do this on Sunday, arrrrgggghhhhh!)

Top speed is 33 MPH, but not for long!

Thanks for any assistance you can provide
Old 07-27-08, 10:39 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
My take on all of this is that the shorts and the saddle are part of the same issue. One area of concern is that friction and heat (sweating) are to be avoided as much as possible.

I would like to see a saddle that circulates the air to give the padding the chance to dry up faster during riding. Sort of like air scoops directed to the bottom of the saddle. This would mean that the saddle needs to be perforated.

Even at 15 mph, riders create enough wind to allow an air scoop located under the nose of the saddle to do the job.
Old 07-27-08, 10:48 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanderer
I am going to try a pair of bike shorts to see how well I will like them, before committing big dollars to clothing.

I normally ride 30+ miles every day on a Specialized Crosstrail, mostly on MUP. But, would also like something that might give me more miles if I chose to.

I can buy a pair of Performance Century Shorts (reg $45,) or a pair of Performance Century Liqui Cell Shorts (reg $60) for $24 for either one. Sale price of $30, with a 20% coupon for one item.

Which one is going to give me a better idea of what they are like, and the better comfort.

I realize that these aren't as good as the more expensive, like PI, but I have to start somewhere. I feel this will be a good introduction.

Please Help...... All advice appreciated.
Hi, Wanderer, I think the Performance Century Short is a decent starting point. Personally I don't wear them any more because the Performance Elite is so much better. Both have pretty decent fabric that I've found to wear pretty well. The Century chamois is typical thin and not too padded. It really doesn't work too well for me, but if you are changing from your padless short set-up, it might be a step in the right direction. Plus it's a real good value for the discount price, IMO!

For me I don't think any short with a gel or bag-o-liquid insert is going to do me any good, and really I expect it to cause serious discomfort. I actually tried one, and found the gel gets smooshed down by my sitbones, and the gel then wells up between them to cause significant problems. Bad news!

Price is right for both, I'd get the Century. It's a more conventional design, and after a few uses you'll have an idea if better shorts are for you.

Road Fan
Old 07-27-08, 10:48 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My liners have thick padding but I know nothing of the moisture and rash talked about here. I wash them with the other bike clothes after each ride and they are dry overnight. Maybe I just don't sweat much!
Old 07-27-08, 03:48 PM
ScrubJ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm with Road Fan on the gel thing. Get something with chamois as it tends to wick sweat away better.
Old 07-27-08, 03:56 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Bibs
Old 07-27-08, 07:17 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it.

I think I will buy a pair of the regular Century Shorts at performance.

It's really hard to beat $25 OTD, for a trial pair.

If they seem to help, I'll pop for a pair of more expensive, and better shorts. And, then I'll be back for more input.

I already told my wife to watch for them at the PI outlet store.....

Thanks a heap!
Old 07-28-08, 05:15 AM
bigjim1

Bikes: 2 Raleigh Sprints. 1 Saracen tourer. dawes Galaxy, 1985 Harry Hall racer, 1991 Raleigh Special Products 853 Race bike. 1985 Raleigh Royal

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think the more padding the better. I never suffer from any sweat rash and if I did I would chance that rather than put too much pressure on my prostate. A little cream for a rash. What do you put on a damaged prostate?

Jim
Old 07-28-08, 06:38 AM
jens5

Bikes: Heron Wayfarer/ 2004 Giant Cypress SX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Bibs
Ditto!
Old 07-28-08, 06:47 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
If you have prostate problems, see a doctor. You don't actually sit on it; you're sitting on your sit bones/ischial tuberosities - most of your sitting weight will be on them.
Baggy mountain bike-style shorts work for a lot of folks.
Old 07-28-08, 07:28 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by jens5
Ditto!
It seems our references to bibs are being woefully ignored.

Truly, they are the greatest.
Old 07-28-08, 09:05 AM
will dehne

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I hate those things. They look dorky, too much cothes on the body, take up more space, and I simply do not like them.
Old 07-28-08, 10:08 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

I wasn't ignoring anything. I just wanted a CHEAP trial of bicycle shorts, and the Performance Centurys, at $25 OTD, were a good choice. There certainly weren't any bibs that cheap.

And, I'd have to classify the experiment as successful for me this morning. I wasn't uncomfortable at 20 miles, and was just starting to feel it a little bit at 30, when I got home.

I'll wash them out, and wear them for a week, or so, and then make up my mind about what I want to do.

First impression - nice, and a big improvement. My butt definitely does feel much better. I'm hoping it will improve more each day.

I'll probably be taking suggestions about what to buy next, and I'm sure PI, and bibs, will get a trial..... Now, I just gotta start watching for good prices, 'cause those things ain't cheap.
Old 07-28-08, 10:24 AM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My first pair of real bike shorts was the performance century and I still have them after 13 years. The elastic is gone out of the legs and they are getting awfully thin. The padding is almost gone - or should I say it does not offer a lot padding. They are still one of my most comfortable shorts. My least comfortable shorts are a pair of performance gel shorts - They don't chafe but they seem to apply pressure in odd places. I also have a pair of EMS and Giordanas both of which I like. Although I have not tried bibs I have no issue with the waist band or with the shorts slipping down so why would I pay more and give up my ability to pee. It also seems to me that they would be hotter.

Shorts, like hand built wheels, like diets & training, like Brooks saddles, etc are all like discussing campy vs shimano - its religion & politics of a different form.
Old 07-28-08, 10:28 AM
WalterMitty
Old Enough to Know Better

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I will never buy another pair of bicycle shorts.
Old 07-28-08, 10:32 AM
WalterMitty
Old Enough to Know Better

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclinfool

[snip]

Although I have not tried bibs I have no issue with the waist band or with the shorts slipping down so why would I pay more and give up my ability to pee. It also seems to me that they would be hotter.

[snip]
You pee the same way as you do now with your shorts, you just don't have to overcome the tension of a bungie cord around your waist to do it.
Old 07-28-08, 10:38 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Bibs are great. I have a couple of pair and always choose them for the long rides. But shorts work just fine for most rides. I like bibs, but I haven't signed on for the religeous conversion.
Old 07-28-08, 12:32 PM
soma5
Hanging On

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bibs are very good. Regular shorts are very good. I have a set of bibs and the corresponding shorts from the same manufacturer (PI PRO Microsensor) and I can't say that the bibs are any more comfortable or fit any better. Given the incremental value to me (none), I'd rather save a little money and get the shorts even though it isn't really about the money.

-soma5
Old 07-28-08, 02:13 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Originally Posted by will dehne
I hate those things. They look dorky, too much cothes on the body, take up more space, and I simply do not like them.
Wish I could reply with sense- but Will must have a slimmer waist than most of us. If he hasn't- he must be Carbo loading again for his next training ride.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-28-08, 02:17 PM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
https://www.hammernutrition.com/za/HN...YCLING,Cycling

End of thread.
Old 07-28-08, 04:59 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

I must admit - Bibs fit my - - - - - - err, dare I say it - - - - - - slightly pear shaped body, and they don't roll or slide down my rather long trunk in comparison to my short legs.

Think "Sumo wrestler."

Will, of course, doesn't have that problem.

I tried some old cycling shorts on the other day, and they still do that!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.