Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

flipped North Roads rotation

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 03-31-11, 10:14 PM
dashuaigeh
grad stud.

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Voyageur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Does anyone else have trouble riding flipped North Road bars? I've made myself a conversion copy of the Pashley Guv'nor, and have found that when i put a lot of weight on the end of the bars (for example, when I go over an unexpected bump or when I brake hard), the bars tend to rotate down a bit, even when the stem is set fairly tight.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? If so, did you find a fix (or an alternative set of bars with similar aesthetics)?
Old 03-31-11, 10:41 PM
Roll-Monroe-Co

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
I've ridden a couple of bikes like this and never had this problem. Are you sure you've got matching stem clamp and bar clamp-area diameter?
Old 03-31-11, 10:43 PM
Sirrus Rider
Velocommuter Commando

Bikes: '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Roll-Monroe-Co
I've ridden a couple of bikes like this and never had this problem. Are you sure you've got matching stem clamp and bar clamp-area diameter?

I was thinking along the lines of maybe He needs to put in a shim.
Old 03-31-11, 10:50 PM
dashuaigeh
grad stud.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm pretty sure I have matching bar clamp/stem size - last I checked, the Nitto Young stem I was using was a 25.4, and I don't know that Nitto makes a North Road handlebar with clamp diameter smaller than that.

It's certainly feels like a very tight fit, but has had issues during riding. Perhaps my stem has issues...
Old 04-01-11, 09:28 AM
Roll-Monroe-Co

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
I've seen instances on this forum of people boring out a clamp to fit a slightly larger diameter. I dunno, maybe?
Old 04-03-11, 12:37 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
It's really hard to diagnose the reason for this kind of problem. Often the stem and handlebar both have striations to prevent this kind of slippage, and once those striations have gotten worn down by a little slippage, the problem gets worse. You may be able to solve it by cleaning both surfaces; or by tightening the bolt more; or by putting something (a shim; sandpaper or other grit; epoxy or other glue/cement; &c) in there to increase pressure and/or friction. If it's a steel bar and a steel stem, I'd just tighten it more. If the jaws of the stem clamp are bottoming out against one another, you may want to file away a bit of material so you can tighten them more. You can sometimes do this with a broken hacksaw blade without even removing the handlebar, though you do have to remove the clamp bolt.
Old 04-03-11, 07:42 PM
Amesja
Cottered Crank

Bikes: 1954 Raleigh Sports 1974 Raleigh Competition 1969 Raleigh Twenty 1964 Raleigh LTD-3

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Stem cinch bolt stretching similar to the issue with seatpost binder bolts which can also cause slippage?
Old 04-03-11, 10:24 PM
sillygolem
No Money and No Sense

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also, you might want to try to line up the striations: this gives the clamp a little better bite, and you may find you'd been sliding the bar into these marks when they start to tilt down. This has the effect of catching the bar, but still making it feel loose.
Old 04-03-11, 10:37 PM
DRietz

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I know that a lot of the carbon bikes I work on have slipping issues, and I typically use carbon assembly paste to ride that situation, but am unsure what to do here...
Old 04-04-11, 04:09 AM
AL NZ

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I weigh 240 lbs and dont have this problem leaning down on flipped North Roads
Bottom line, there is a friction problem at the clamp - stuffed bolt, clamp too big, etc, as above posts.
Old 04-04-11, 08:56 AM
dashuaigeh
grad stud.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the thoughts, all! The stem was from a co-op find, so it may not have been in the best condition. I've noticed that it sits more loosely on the bar than the usual stems I've seen (the stem hole measures a full 25.5 when opened) so maybe an extremely thin shim would help.

Drietz, do you know what compound carbon assembly paste is? Is it like epoxy or a more common adhesive?