Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

The dominance of the narrow racing tire on bikes is over

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

The dominance of the narrow racing tire on bikes is over

Old 10-13-22, 07:33 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredo76
Tight clearances on racing bikes were already becoming a fad in the late '70s. I say fad, because the disadvantages outweigh the non-existent advantages, really, except maybe for looking cool in the eyes of one's peer group. That fad marked the beginning of the fetishization of the sport, along with Cinelli hiding the handlebar clamp bolt...
Don't underestimate the appeal of looking cool in the eyes one's peer group. Any perusal of threads and posts on BF, including and especially the 50 Plus list, demonstrates the power of trendy fads and "looking cool" in making bicycling equipment choices for some bicycling enthusiasts. The 50 Plus list demonstrates that the hold of old fads and what was considered "cool" in the past is a sticky if not permanent concept for some old timers.
Old 10-13-22, 07:39 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 331 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Don't underestimate the appeal of looking cool in the eyes one's peer group. Any perusal of threads and posts on BF, including and especially the 50 Plus list, demonstrates the power of trendy fads and "looking cool" in making bicycling equipment choices for some bicycling enthusiasts. The 50 Plus list demonstrates that the hold of old fads and what was considered "cool" in the past is a sticky if not permanent concept for some old timers.
Speaking of trendy reminded me of the '80s "aero" fad--concealed brake cables, hiding shift levers above and behind the down tube, narrow unicrown forks, thin-section fork blades, oval tubes, and odd side-pull brake caliper shapes that tried to hid the arms out of the slipstream. Skinny tires, tight clearances, and deep-section alloy rims were also part of this "revolution."
Old 10-13-22, 07:47 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
Given that everyone can ride on whatever tire they choose, why do people argue about this? Why do people feel the need to prove that their choice is superior?
Likes For jon c.:
Old 10-14-22, 08:38 PM
oldbobcat

Originally Posted by jon c.
Given that everyone can ride on whatever tire they choose, why do people argue about this? Why do people feel the need to prove that their choice is superior?
Because it's interesting? Because the physics reveals some concepts that seem counterintuitive?
Old 10-14-22, 11:35 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked 856 Times in 422 Posts
Oh, I agree wholeheartedly, and I'm one of the worst!

After buying some NOS sew-up wheels because they are almost as cool as stem shifters, I got a NOS 14-22 Regina Oro freewheel to go on them, just to look cool, I confess!

My 14-28 wasn't small enough, in the looks department.

NOS wheels w/ 30mm sew-ups

Last edited by Fredo76; 10-15-22 at 12:49 AM.
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 10-15-22, 05:06 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Originally Posted by scottfsmith
For a recreational cyclist, 23mm is and always has been a non-optimal tire ... the grip in turns is nowhere near as good.
If the road is smooth, there's nothing like a narrow tire on a racing bike, especially in the turns. For me, they feel smooth, silent, responsive and fast.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 10-15-22, 07:24 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4196 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
You can't be right on the internet unless you can prove someone else is wrong.
Likes For himespau:
Old 10-15-22, 10:40 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4311 Post(s)
Liked 2,954 Times in 1,601 Posts
The 50 Plus list demonstrates that the hold of old fads and what was considered "cool" in the past is a sticky if not permanent concept for some old timers.
QFT. These feelings run deep. The other night I had a DREAM, in which I was getting a bike fit and the fitter was trying different saddles on for me and she put on one that I found amazingly comfortable and told her so... and then I got off and looked at it and it was some bigass tractor-sized hyper-padded atrocity and thought there was NO WAY I would ever buy such a ridiculous saddle.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 10-16-22, 01:38 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8189 Post(s)
Liked 8,848 Times in 4,395 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
QFT. These feelings run deep. The other night I had a DREAM, in which I was getting a bike fit and the fitter was trying different saddles on for me and she put on one that I found amazingly comfortable and told her so... and then I got off and looked at it and it was some bigass tractor-sized hyper-padded atrocity and thought there was NO WAY I would ever buy such a ridiculous saddle.
There is a difference between being a slave to fads and not wanting your bike to look like an express train to dorksville.

As for the theme of the thread, I used 23s for everything for 30+ years. One of my bikes I rode for 11 years wouldn't fit a 25. I tried to put 28s on my current bike a few years ago and there isn't enough clearance for me so when I switched from 23s I went with 25s. For the riding I've been doing the last 3 years they're fine.
Old 10-16-22, 04:52 PM
oldbobcat

Originally Posted by DiabloScott
QFT. The other night I had a DREAM, in which I was getting a bike fit and the fitter was trying different saddles on for me and she put on one that I found amazingly comfortable and told her so... and then I got off and looked at it and it was some bigass tractor-sized hyper-padded atrocity and thought there was NO WAY I would ever buy such a ridiculous saddle.
When I have dreams like this, it usually means I have to get up to pee.
Likes For oldbobcat:
Old 10-16-22, 06:46 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4273 Post(s)
Liked 4,711 Times in 2,911 Posts
Well if Geraint Thomas is riding on 28mm wide tyres (as he mentioned in his latest podcast) then I'm guessing they are faster than narrower tyres.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 10-16-22, 07:29 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I don't care what type of tires the pros ride...I make my own decisions as to what type of tires I use
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 10-21-22, 04:28 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Why don't "the rest of us" need narrow tires like the pros race on? Some of the rest of us like to ride fast, and a 25mm tire is fast. If they weren't fast, pros would use something else.
Perhaps for the professional riders who do grand tours -- the trade-off will be road grip/stability and comfort over a period of days' races. The 25's will work on most kinds of road surfaces and still grip well on fast descents.

Anyone who is not racing and doing a 2 hour ride (duration) will also let out some air from the tires.
Old 10-21-22, 07:13 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 373 Times in 225 Posts
A lot of talk here about tire width, but what about height?

On my bike-Lynskey R230 rim brake, there is plenty of clearance laterally, but minimal between the top of the tire and underside of the fork. I have had to stop a few times to clear leave, pebbles, etc. Conti 23's are the biggest that fit.

I am looking for new (carbon) wheels and am hoping that wider rims will reduce the "lightbulb effect" and allow me to run bigger tires.

I am hoping to get 59.5 miles of comfort and am willing to concede the 2 city limits sign sprints.
Old 10-21-22, 09:19 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 653 Posts
Originally Posted by bblair

On my bike-Lynskey R230 rim brake, there is plenty of clearance laterally, but minimal between the top of the tire and underside of the fork. I have had to stop a few times to clear leave, pebbles, etc. Conti 23's are the biggest that fit.

I am looking for new (carbon) wheels and am hoping that wider rims will reduce the "lightbulb effect" and allow me to run bigger tires.

I am hoping to get 59.5 miles of comfort and am willing to concede the 2 city limits sign sprints.
My Colnago C59 was the same way. Wider rims made a huge difference for me.
Old 10-21-22, 09:37 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 343 Posts
Originally Posted by bblair

I, too, assumed that a wider rim would make the tire wider but not taller.
This old diagram from HED shows the same tires getting wider and usually a little taller on wider rims. Trace the different colors for the 23mm and compare.

~~~
Continental tires used to be bigger than their nominal sizes -- a 25mm was close to 27mm wide. I think they are more true to size now.

Last edited by rm -rf; 10-21-22 at 09:41 AM.
Likes For rm -rf:
Old 10-22-22, 07:06 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 373 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
I, too, assumed that a wider rim would make the tire wider but not taller.
This old diagram from HED shows the same tires getting wider and usually a little taller on wider rims. Trace the different colors for the 23mm and compare.

~~~
Continental tires used to be bigger than their nominal sizes -- a 25mm was close to 27mm wide. I think they are more true to size now.
That is opposite of what I would have thought, but they did the research, so I guess it's legit.

So, from this diagram, I should look for a narrower rim?