Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Gates Belt Drive on Dahon Mu Nuvinci (N360)

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-17, 10:38 PM
L Arnold
**thusi*st

Bikes: Specialized Touring Expedition '1984, Volagi Liscio, Dahon Visc D18, Dahon Visc SL, Schwinn Moab

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Excited to show the full Gates Carbon Drive conversion on this Dahon Mu N360. The Nuvinci N360 transmission is extremely durable and smooth to ride. The Gates belt system seems to double that. No grease, very quiet, clean compact and durable... Nuvinci Hub, Gates Carbon Drive and Dahon Mu Frame makes a great combination.

This unit was built to order and took considerable exploration to get to finality.
The upside of this is that I want to build some more.

I was running out for the holidays and missed the whole bike pic, but I thought I would put this up to see.
A few other things in the works but let me see if they work first.

Happy Holidays everyone!
Attached Images
Old 12-24-17, 01:31 AM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by L Arnold
Excited to show the full Gates Carbon Drive conversion on this Dahon Mu N360. The Nuvinci N360 transmission is extremely durable and smooth to ride. The Gates belt system seems to double that. No grease, very quiet, clean compact and durable... Nuvinci Hub, Gates Carbon Drive and Dahon Mu Frame makes a great combination.

This unit was built to order and took considerable exploration to get to finality.
The upside of this is that I want to build some more.

I was running out for the holidays and missed the whole bike pic, but I thought I would put this up to see.
A few other things in the works but let me see if they work first.

Happy Holidays everyone!
That looks like a very neat build!
Old 12-25-17, 09:41 AM
zebede
Hello

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
It appears that the frame is designed to accommodate the nuvinci and gates carbon drive with the dual cable guides and, single rear stay and recess for belt. Perfect.
Old 12-25-17, 10:51 AM
L Arnold
**thusi*st

Bikes: Specialized Touring Expedition '1984, Volagi Liscio, Dahon Visc D18, Dahon Visc SL, Schwinn Moab

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by zebede
It appears that the frame is designed to accommodate the nuvinci and gates carbon drive with the dual cable guides and, single rear stay and recess for belt. Perfect.
I am looking at getting the cables routed along the frame better. I didn't notice this until the picture. Should work to do so.

Did take some work to get the alignment. The bike comes with a chain drive which is a much easier/looser fit.

Second Bike starts on Tuesday. This one here was proto 1 (available and looking for a friend (PM me if interested anyone)

Last edited by L Arnold; 12-25-17 at 10:56 AM.
Old 12-26-17, 06:54 PM
wernst

Bikes: 86 Nishiki Olympic Sport, 87 KHS Montana Team, 06 Dahon Mariner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
As it happens, I took delivery of a Mu N360 this month to replace my stolen Mariner. Belt drives are mondo cool, and was something I was hoping to look into down the road, just to see. PM sent.

BTW, my cable arrangement is slightly different - more horizontal. Don't forget there needs to be easy access to pull the cable housing from the plastic bracket to make wheel removal possible, so I'm not sure how day-to-day practical it would be to reroute the cables behind the seatstay.

I'm installing racks and fenders over this holiday break - I'll post "stock" photos when it's done.

-Warr

Last edited by wernst; 12-26-17 at 06:59 PM.
Old 12-27-17, 12:06 AM
L Arnold
**thusi*st

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by wernst
As it happens, I took delivery of a Mu N360 this month to replace my stolen Mariner. Belt drives are mondo cool, and was something I was hoping to look into down the road, just to see. PM sent.

BTW, my cable arrangement is slightly different - more horizontal. Don't forget there needs to be easy access to pull the cable housing from the plastic bracket to make wheel removal possible, so I'm not sure how day-to-day practical it would be to reroute the cables behind the seatstay.

I'm installing racks and fenders over this holiday break - I'll post "stock" photos when it's done.

-Warr
Yes, the cables want to be Horizontal as pictured This seems to be the original path - but I will verify against another n360 which should be arriving tomorrow. Finishing angle is somewhat adjustable when the wheel is being installed.

You are right, that routing along the higher seatstay line would be aesthetic but not very practical. Cable leverage and tube bend radii both would seem to be challenged.

I have found pulling the cables from the housing gets easier with practice. Pretty slick system.

I've had Shimano, Sram Nuvinci and they all are different in the cabke disconnect but have ended up being easy enough once taken on. I should explore the Rohloff I have in shop next. Fun fun.

I like the belt drive a lot. Mondo is a great word. Best.
Old 12-27-17, 08:58 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Yes, the cables want to be Horizontal as pictured This seems to be the original path - but I will verify against another n360 which should be arriving tomorrow. Finishing angle is somewhat adjustable when the wheel is being installed.
In theory you can change the orientation of the hub interface. The following video shows how, starting from about the two-minute mark:

Love what you done w/your bike, btw. I don't usually visit the folding forum, but your thread title caught my eye. My winter errand-running bike is setup with Gates and Nuvinci.
Old 02-18-18, 01:21 PM
fegoalbe

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Which Gates parts you bought for the upgrade? I have a Dahon Mu N360 and I’m worried for the right size of carbon drive parts (number of tooths, belts size)
Old 02-18-18, 09:40 PM
L Arnold
**thusi*st

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by fegoalbe
Which Gates parts you bought for the upgrade? I have a Dahon Mu N360 and I’m worried for the right size of carbon drive parts (number of tooths, belts size)
I will send you a PM. I have 2 different Kits worked up for this and can get them to you directly.

Its a great system. It took me about a month to get the variations all together.
Old 02-18-18, 10:08 PM
unclejemima

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not that it really matters but don’t your guys find the nuvinci super heavy?! I have 2 bikes each with a nuvinci and though I love them the shear weight of them always has me wondering if I made the right choice.

I think nuvinci has a n410 or something now as well? Wonder if it’s heavier or lighter than the n360?
Old 02-18-18, 10:12 PM
unclejemima

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry I guess it’s a n380 and n330 they have now. Both are 2450 grams and or 5.4lbs.
Not sure how much the n360 weighed but I imagine very similar.
They have a n380se but not sure what it’s purposes is?
Old 02-21-18, 01:17 AM
L Arnold
**thusi*st

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by unclejemima
Not that it really matters but don’t your guys find the nuvinci super heavy?! I have 2 bikes each with a nuvinci and though I love them the shear weight of them always has me wondering if I made the right choice.

I think nuvinci has a n410 or something now as well? Wonder if it’s heavier or lighter than the n360?
Weight of the NuVinci is not it's strong suit. What is nice is that shifting is "not shifting". More like spreading soft butter. Coupling with the belt it is quiet and clean.

I have also coupled now with a 2 speed Crank and bumped the Gear range to 545%. Really nice. Totally makes up for the weight of the Nuvinci itself. Right now I think it is the best setup, even better than the Rohloff because you can get everywhere in the range really easily.

I've got kits of both builds available.

Last edited by L Arnold; 02-21-18 at 01:18 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-23-18, 03:12 PM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
What do you use for your 2-speed crank? I have considered going this route with my full-sized bike moreso than my folding bike, but both could benefit from the increased gear range. I used to run a Nuvinci with two chainrings up front, and I did find that it had more range that way then I could ever make use of. In fact, I eventually removed the front derailler and kept the chain on the big ring at home and on the small ring when touring.

Now both of my bikes have Shimano 8-speed hubs, and I've been thinking a two speed crank could increase the range but still let me keep that "single speed" drive train simplicity. And it would let me have multiple wheelsets and decent range without having to buy a new Nuvinci hub for every new wheel.
Old 02-24-18, 02:50 PM
L Arnold
**thusi*st

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob_E
What do you use for your 2-speed crank? I have considered going this route with my full-sized bike moreso than my folding bike, but both could benefit from the increased gear range. I used to run a Nuvinci with two chainrings up front, and I did find that it had more range that way then I could ever make use of. In fact, I eventually removed the front derailler and kept the chain on the big ring at home and on the small ring when touring.

Now both of my bikes have Shimano 8-speed hubs, and I've been thinking a two speed crank could increase the range but still let me keep that "single speed" drive train simplicity. And it would let me have multiple wheelsets and decent range without having to buy a new Nuvinci hub for every new wheel.
I am using the Patterson 2 Speed Crankset. It starts with a 28 tooth Chainwheel (for chains). I convert it to a 130BCD system so if using chains you need to start with the smallest 130 BCD sprocket.

Dealing with smaller wheels and sprocket choices you need to do some calculations as to what is best for your bike.
Old 02-24-18, 02:53 PM
L Arnold
**thusi*st

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I forgot to show,

Here is the new build on this. Really sweet. My math says I end up with a 576% gear range and I am splitting the difference from the standard Mu N360 Spread, so I can climb better and ride faster. I would have space to move that ratio to prefer more "down" or "up" the gear set if wanted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2018-02-14 15.41.49.jpg (752.5 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg
2018-02-14 15.41.56.jpg (640.6 KB, 187 views)

Last edited by L Arnold; 02-24-18 at 02:55 PM. Reason: pictures
Old 02-25-18, 10:13 AM
unclejemima

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With the Patterson 2 Speed Crankset how do you shift from high to low? Can you do so by s handlebar mounted shifter or do you have to press a button on the actual crank?
Old 02-25-18, 07:48 PM
L Arnold
**thusi*st

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
With the Patterson 2 Speed Crankset how do you shift from high to low? Can you do so by s handlebar mounted shifter or do you have to press a button on the actual crank?
Handlebar mounted click or twist shifter of your choice on the Patterson. It works well.
Old 03-20-18, 02:32 PM
DoctorJG

Bikes: Tricked out Bianchi Milano

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will send you a PM. I have 2 different Kits worked up for this and can get them to you directly.

Its a great system. It took me about a month to get the variations all together.
Is it possible to send me a parts list for the conversion?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-20-18, 03:24 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
With the Patterson 2 Speed Crankset how do you shift from high to low? Can you do so by a handlebar mounted shifter or do you have to press a button on the actual crank?
that's describing the a Schlumpf speed or mountain drive..
You did not see a button in the center of the crank arm did you?

Old 03-22-18, 09:29 AM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
I forgot to show,

Here is the new build on this. Really sweet. My math says I end up with a 576% gear range and I am splitting the difference from the standard Mu N360 Spread, so I can climb better and ride faster. I would have space to move that ratio to prefer more "down" or "up" the gear set if wanted.
That's a cool-looking setup, but I had a Patterson and that baby was heavy! Combined with the weight of the NuVinci, I'm not sure I see the benefit of doing this over a standard IGH or derailleur Dahon.
Old 03-23-18, 01:40 AM
L Arnold
**thusi*st

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DoctorJG
Is it possible to send me a parts list for the conversion?

Thanks in advance.
I'm out of the office this weekend (plus Thurs Fri) so speaking from memory.

The standard kit has:
BB
Crank Set
front and rear Gates Sprockets
Gates Belt
Belt Tensioner

The advanced set replaces the crank set with the Patterson transmission.
Add front Shifting control plus cable set and fixtures.
Gates Set is different than in the standard to bring the full range of the Patterson drive.
I rode this week and you could ride up Everest with it. I felt as well it would keep power on a prolonged downhill.

It's a very nice ride I feel. Has taken, on my side, some considerable tuning and adjustment sets to optimize
Old 05-07-18, 03:31 PM
Greyghost38405

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Landis,

I'd love to ask you a few questions about this conversion. I'm a newby on the board. Can you pm me?

Cheers,
Doug
Old 09-18-18, 12:02 AM
originalbbeast

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you could send me a pm with the kit information that would be fantastic. I am a newbie to this board and am looking to convert a dahon to carbon belt drive. Thanks for all your help!