Go Back  Bike Forums > News & Suggestions > Forum Suggestions & User Assistance
Reload this Page >

SOFTWARE UPDATE: New photo gallery, photo uploader, and mobile skin, April 24, 2018!

Search
Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

SOFTWARE UPDATE: New photo gallery, photo uploader, and mobile skin, April 24, 2018!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-18, 08:39 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
The desktop version is now completely unusable. You cannot reply to any thread. You can only start a new thread. Is there anybody monitoring the situation there??
A couple of new "quirks" I've found.

The quick reply is only on the last page. So, you have to go through all the pages to get it.

Quote works, and you can simply delete what you don't want.
Old 04-28-18, 09:25 AM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Infinite scrolling on full site; how do turn on infinite scrolling on mobile site? Or can you?
Old 04-28-18, 09:53 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Mentions/quote notification should be #1 priority. It generates more use.
Originally Posted by Rollfast
You mean that more people possibly view your profile?

I killed that stuff off in the last version and never lacked for people looking at that, same for quotes.

Let's get the posting and editing features up and running right first? Mentions etc. were the last things added into it anyway.
As one who quotes frequently, I would hope that invites more subscribers to read my posts, rather than visit my profile.
Originally Posted by wphamilton
At last I'm enshrined in a Jim from Boston quote chain, feels like the big time! Thank you…Ride on.
Old 04-28-18, 11:18 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Unable to upload photos

When I attempt to upload photos it gets to 99% and then fails with a message that it is unable to upload but no explanation as to why. These are all photos taken with my iPhone and I’ve tried it both with my iPad and iPhone. My browser is Chrome. What is the file size limit ?

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 04-28-18, 11:26 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4233 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,807 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Mentions/quote notification should be #1 priority. It generates more use.
You mean that more people possibly view your profile?

I killed that stuff off in the last version and never lacked for people looking at that, same for quotes.

Let's get the posting and editing features up and running right first? Mentions etc. were the last things added into it anyway.
I imagine that he means that those of us who get e-mail notification of quotes and mentions are more likely to come back more frequently because our interest has been piqued to wonder what people are saying about our comments not that we want to look at the profiles of people. And mentioning someone draws their attention to the thread in which they've been mentioned, which they might not otherwise visit, again bringing up the number of visits. More page views => more revenue.
Old 04-28-18, 12:06 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Thank you for the work you all put in to the site. I know it is a lot easier to complain when you are not the one dealing with the back end conplexity of these things.

My main issue using the mobile site on my iPhone 6 is that when replying, the text is really, really tiny. Hard to read what I am typing, and hard to highlight and edit text.

EDIT: Actually, now that I use it more. ALL of the text in the body of posts is a little hard for me to read. But the reply text is much worse in this regard.

thanks again

Last edited by Kapusta; 04-28-18 at 12:21 PM.
Old 04-28-18, 01:15 PM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,641 Times in 948 Posts
I skimmed instead of reading this thread. Noticed a couple of others mentioning problems uploading photos from URL. Just tried the same thing. The photo uploader wouldn't accept the BBCode from Flickr. Nor a direct url. But when I copied the BBCode directly into the post and added the IMG tags manually it worked. See post 2946 in this thread https://www.bikeforums.net/foo/70937...hy-ii-117.html.
Old 04-28-18, 01:19 PM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,641 Times in 948 Posts
Originally Posted by IBobi
UserCP
Edit Options
Disable Infinite Scroll
Save.

You gotta log out and back in, Holmes.
Thanks. That worked.
Old 04-28-18, 01:27 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I don't know what infinite scroll looks like on a PC but this is a huge problem...the bottom bar design.

Forget trying to post the screenshot.

If you don't scroll down enough you can easily mistake the teal Quick Reply and Reply button in the bottom bar for the ones you need to use in the POST (composing not editing as far as I could tell).

This only opens a new windows and messes all your effort up. If you are lucky it was auto-saved and can be somewhat easily reconstructed, but it's frustrating and counterintuitive.
Old 04-28-18, 01:30 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

And I used the correct routine to post an attachment from my computer, which worked previously for that picture of a blue 1955 Plymouth Savoy.
Old 04-28-18, 07:43 PM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 523 Times in 291 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
When I attempt to upload photos it gets to 99% and then fails with a message that it is unable to upload but no explanation as to why. These are all photos taken with my iPhone and I’ve tried it both with my iPad and iPhone. My browser is Chrome. What is the file size limit ?
Me too. I'm having no luck loading photos. I also tried URL links through my Google photos account and those URLs won't load.
Old 04-28-18, 09:40 PM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
I'm going to cast my vote to resuscitate the date of original post (start date of a thread) on the left-hand side. Zombie threads are mainly a nuisance. If they really come back and generate some interest, then I might look at one if I see it's regained traction. But opening the thread, in order to see when it started, is not an acceptable substitute. If you don't think that this is important to forum participants, then I suggest you review posts #6, 12, 65, 74, 121, 141, 145 and 146 in this thread alone, and many more in the two Classic & Vintage threads concerned with the skin change (namely AAAaaaagh! Can we PLEASE revert back to yesterday? and Damn, what this?).
Thank you,
Charles Wahl

Last edited by Charles Wahl; 04-28-18 at 09:45 PM.
Old 04-29-18, 06:59 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by locolobo13
I skimmed instead of reading this thread. Noticed a couple of others mentioning problems uploading photos from URL. Just tried the same thing. The photo uploader wouldn't accept the BBCode from Flickr. Nor a direct url. But when I copied the BBCode directly into the post and added the IMG tags manually it worked. See post 2946 in this thread https://www.bikeforums.net/foo/70937...hy-ii-117.html.

This is a fail IMHO. A lot of us migrated to photo sites like Flickr to handle photo loading to this site, and now it doesn't work.
Please don't confuse ebay "asking" prices with "selling" prices. Many sellers never get their ask price. some are far from it. Value is determined once an item actually SELLS. Its easy enough to check SOLD prices.
Old 04-29-18, 08:46 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
The return of the date of original thread start would be nice. Thanks for all you do to keep this site up & running for us whiners.
Old 04-29-18, 08:46 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Dropdown panels are irritating on any website (even though a lot of newspaper sites use them now).

Wasted screen space is a waste of screen space.

Infinite scroll should never be a default.

Many of these features can be controlled but finding where or how is not so easy. Like this very thread, for example.

Can we please see the date a thread was started???? Please please please?

Must we have such a tiny font as the default?
Old 04-29-18, 08:57 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26413 Post(s)
Liked 10,379 Times in 7,207 Posts
...it's working pretty well for me on a Windows machine using 7, with Chrome as the browser.
Working a lot faster than it was before too. It does look different, but not unlike the BF prior to the reversion to the older software that happened a year or two ago.

The image loading thingy is definitely an improvement. Thanks for that.
Old 04-29-18, 10:30 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
Are there images in the first post of this thread? All I see are broken links.

https://www.bikeforums.net/20307454-post1.html

As mentioned, Puppy Linux, Chrome, and Javascript turned off (otherwise BF freezes my computer, too many resources).

One thing, Google has traditionally been unable to parse/link photos to Bike Forums, presumably due to the non-standard format of the links. It makes searching for old photos harder, and perhaps decreases functionality of the website in general.
Old 04-29-18, 12:24 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
Text and pictures now run off the right side of the page for me but there is no horizontal scroll bar for me to see it, the text and pictures and text just disappear, like my view have been cropped. If I go down to 50% on the zoom I can see it all but that is not optimal and for probably 50% of the pictures I am only seeing half of the photo. If I choose to click on the picture then it comes up in a sort of photo preview and I can see it fine but I never had to do that before.
Old 04-29-18, 01:35 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Are there images in the first post of this thread? All I see are broken links.

https://www.bikeforums.net/20307454-post1.html

As mentioned, Puppy Linux, Chrome, and Javascript turned off (otherwise BF freezes my computer, too many resources).

One thing, Google has traditionally been unable to parse/link photos to Bike Forums, presumably due to the non-standard format of the links. It makes searching for old photos harder, and perhaps decreases functionality of the website in general.
Use cut and paste. Google changed the way you can post images from their searches as well, due to complaints from some third parties and a settlement (mainly Getty Images).
Old 04-29-18, 01:42 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Originally Posted by jimmuller
Dropdown panels are irritating on any website (even though a lot of newspaper sites use them now).

Wasted screen space is a waste of screen space.

Infinite scroll should never be a default.

Many of these features can be controlled but finding where or how is not so easy. Like this very thread, for example.

Can we please see the date a thread was started???? Please please please?

Must we have such a tiny font as the default?
Did you have something I didn't, or are you thinking of another site? The date of the OPs post DOES show, in the STARTING POST. If you use the link to whatever post, OP or nor you will see that date in the original version that was quoted.

Is this a MOBILE problem? You all seem to be asking for something that never existed in the way you think, and I've been here for nearly eleven years.
Old 04-29-18, 04:12 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Did you have something I didn't, or are you thinking of another site? The date of the OPs post DOES show, in the STARTING POST. If you use the link to whatever post, OP or nor you will see that date in the original version that was quoted.

Is this a MOBILE problem? You all seem to be asking for something that never existed in the way you think, and I've been here for nearly eleven years.
I have no idea what you have so I can't answer your first question. No, I am not thinking of another site. This is BikeForums,net, isn't it? Are you suggesting I'm accidentally posting a complaint about, say, WashingtonPost.com or Google.com to BikeForums???

If you look at a thread from either Subscribed Threads or from a particular forum, it used to show when the thread was started. Now it doesn't. It shows when the last entry was posted, but that's different.

I read BF with both Windows7/Firefox and Galaxy S7/Chrome. I always switch to Full Site when using the S7. As far as I know this is neither browser-specific not device-specific.
Old 04-29-18, 04:49 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

That explains it. I wasn't grasping it was about Subscribed threads.

Why is is a big deal anyway? If you no longer are interested in the thread just unsubscribe.

And as a matter of practicality I never subscribe to entire forums. I tend to look over the latest posts listed in the parent directory then choose from those or go right into a forum to seem what is listed with some current posts. I get at least 2 dozen email notifications (weekly, on Sundays) and go through them, mostly in that email, then scroll down and usually click the unsubscribe link BF places at the bottom if I have no further interest. There are still several I keep notifications for, these are regular interests like threads in Foo.

If I subscribed to an entire forum I would be lost, swamped. On the other hand, I know where I was when I last left that thread and can refer to page ONE to go back and refresh.

If you have stuff from 2008 do go back and unsubscribe from that. I tend to recognize what I know recently. You can just kill the subscriptions option and start fresh again as a RESET as well.

Just keep managing your subscriptions. If you're done, leave the thread.
Old 04-29-18, 07:00 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts

Why is is a big deal anyway? If you no longer are interested in the thread just unsubscribe.

And as a matter of practicality I never subscribe to entire forums. I tend to look over the latest posts listed in the parent directory then choose from those or go right into a forum to seem what is listed with some current posts. I get at least 2 dozen email notifications (weekly, on Sundays) and go through them, mostly in that email, then scroll down and usually click the unsubscribe link BF places at the bottom if I have no further interest. There are still several I keep notifications for, these are regular interests like threads in Foo.

If I subscribed to an entire forum I would be lost, swamped. On the other hand, I know where I was when I last left that thread and can refer to page ONE to go back and refresh.

If you have stuff from 2008 do go back and unsubscribe from that. I tend to recognize what I know recently. You can just kill the subscriptions option and start fresh again as a RESET as well.

The date of the first post in a thread isn't visible when you look at the listing of posts produced when you clock on "Today's posts" from the Quick Links menu.

Whilst I don't see the loss of this as a major problem, who wants to lose a feature that was there before the update?

So I would like to see that feature come back and hopefully more colour schemes will be offered in the future, so I can choose the Yellow colour I associate with this forum.
Old 04-29-18, 09:43 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4233 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,807 Posts

I go to new posts to see what's currently being discussed an if any of that interests me. The previous versions all had the start date of any threads so I could see if someone had resurrected a zombie thread before I clicked into it no matter how interesting the title. Now I have to click into it, look at the date, see if I want to proceed or click back out. A few mouse clicks and a couple seconds of my time, but its an added frustration that didn't used to be here.
Old 04-29-18, 10:16 PM
L Arnold
**thusi*st

Bikes: Specialized Touring Expedition '1984, Volagi Liscio, Dahon Visc D18, Dahon Visc SL, Schwinn Moab

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Pretty difficult to scroll down in a long response thread like this.

Main thing though, Put a Link to the Forum Set (ie Folding Bikes) at the bottom of the page as well as the top of the page.
It used to be like that, but the bottom of page link is not there for me on Windows Right now.

Very Brave. Keep it up. The system has been an Anachronisim really. Hey, thats OK.
Thanks for working on it though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.