Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Alfine: can I use only one anti-rotation washer?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-22, 04:53 PM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts

I’ll probably test it to find out when I get home anyway, but since I’m traveling right now I thought I’d ask.

I have an Alfine hub on a bike with track ends. I’d kind of like to use an axle puller on one side, something like the Surly tugnut, but it (and every) axle puller is incompatible with the notched anti-rotation washers fitted to the Alfine axle when mounted.

But if it will do fine with an anti-rotation washer on just one side…
Old 07-09-22, 10:53 AM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

No one? I haven’t tested yet because I don’t want to damage anything. Shimano doesn’t have any guidance, but I imagine their guidance would be to always use two.

Obviously they designed it that way, but is it designed that way because it’s necessary for regular function, or because of redundant safety margin? The axle is all the way through, and so if it is stopped from rotating on one side, it should be stopped on both.
Old 07-09-22, 07:16 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
I vote "No".
There must be considerable torque on the dropouts, and as they're aluminum I'd be concerned that a strong rider might be able to strip a single dropout.
But I'm no expert.
Old 07-10-22, 08:05 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by sweeks
I vote "No".
There must be considerable torque on the dropouts, and as they're aluminum I'd be concerned that a strong rider might be able to strip a single dropout.
But I'm no expert.
I don’t think the dropouts are the concern. Sachs/SRAM 5 and 7 speed hubs had axle flats for anti rotation on one side only. However, the internal actuation mechanism was entirely different from that of an Alfine hub. The Sachs hubs employed a sliding key whereas the Alfine hubs use a rotary actuation arm. Even the most minuscule twist on the axle could conceivably inhibit the free movement of the actuation arm resulting in only partial engagement of the rising pawls with possible resulting damage.
This is all theoretical as I have no empirical data. I do have several Nexus/ Alfine hubs in my fleet so maybe I should run some tests.
Also worth noting that Rohloff hubs have anti rotation bracing on one side only, but the design is more robust in every way.

Last edited by Dan Burkhart; 07-10-22 at 09:29 AM.
Old 07-10-22, 09:49 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
I don’t think the dropouts are the concern.
Thanks, Dan! I defer to your (much!) greater expertise.
I also have a couple bikes with Nexus and Alfine hubs,and I'm a pretty strong believer in operating these hubs as they are designed.
Maybe stripping a dropout is giving the torque too much credit; I wonder if the NDS is not held firm if it might result in the axle nut being loosened on the DS, with resulting shift in the wheel position.
If you do some testing, I'll be interested in your results.
Steve
Old 07-10-22, 11:40 AM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Thanks for the replies so far. Good stuff!
Old 07-12-22, 12:29 PM
hartsu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a mks tug-nut installed on the inside of the track end and anti rotation washer outside.
https://www.velodrome.shop/chains/mks-ca-njs-chain-tug/

I don't have picture but here is mtbr member pursuiter's similar setup.
https://www.mtbr.com/attachments/tugnut-3-jpg.512334/
Old 07-12-22, 07:37 PM
sweeks

Originally Posted by sweeks
I correct myself. I took my Alfine 11 off to repair a flat, and took a good look at the non-turn washers. There is no way one of those could be forcibly rotated through a dropout unless maybe the dropout were made of wax.
I'd still use them on both sides.