Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What's the dumbest thing another bicyclist has told you?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-22, 01:54 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10153 Post(s)
Liked 5,849 Times in 3,150 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Air is for wimps.
Iron-shod wood was good enough for millennia.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 07-13-22, 04:42 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Here is another dumb thing I've heard way too too many times from cyclists on Bikeforums.... "Lifting weights will make you too big and slow you down".
Old 07-14-22, 09:26 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by CheGiantForLife
Exactly! Common sense is rare.

In the real world, we ride a pre-determined loop.
Heavier bike will require more work to complete said loop.
More work means better workout.

Basic math.
In the real world, I am completely free to increase or decrease the size of that "pre-determined loop" to match the demands of the workout. You're assuming that a person is going to ride the same distance no matter which bike is used. That's an absurd assumption. I also find the quick acceleration on a lighter bike fun, so it motivates me to ride more.

Your first line is a false premise about the "real world". Consequentially, you reach a false conclusion. Basic logic, and you failed.

Last edited by livedarklions; 07-14-22 at 09:33 AM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-14-22, 10:56 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4933 Post(s)
Liked 8,072 Times in 3,815 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
I have. The fatter tires are also heavier, so more critical rotating mass. They also present more frontal area, so more wind resistance; wind resistance by far consumes the most watts of a solo rider.

Fatter tires also require fatter rims with are also heavier and less aero. Nevertheless, debating the performance characteristics of clincher rims/tires is like fussing over mods on a Ford Fiesta. 23mm tubular tires pumped hard present an insurmountable performance advantage over any clincher/tubeless setup, past, present and forever. Perhaps fat 25mm tubulars work at Paris-Roubaix.
This doesn't match up with the conclusion you insist is correct... https://www.renehersecycles.com/12-m...es-are-slower/

Or this one... https://www.cyclist.co.uk/in-depth/8...ke-you-faster/

If fatter rims are always heavier than narrow ones, why are my Enve 3.4 700C road wheels heavier than my Stan's Podium 29" MTB wheels? The wind resistance difference between a 23mm tire and 28mm tire is pretty insignificant compared to the body of the rider until speeds start getting really high.

It's time to recalibrate your thinking on this. I know it's hard. I struggled with it, too.
Old 07-14-22, 11:01 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26400 Post(s)
Liked 10,373 Times in 7,202 Posts
That it makes a difference if you use clipless pedals vs clips:

Old 07-14-22, 11:11 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,351 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Dumbest thing I've ever heard is that a heavy bike does NOT give you a better workout.

Physics 101.
F=MA
W=FD

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...vier-bike.html
Did you ever actually take Physics 101?
I have taken Physics 101 (and several more physics courses as well). I see nothing wrong with CheGiantForLife‘s point. If bike weight means nothing, why has significant effort be expended in reducing bike weight? If bicycle weight doesn’t matter why don’t pro racers ride 40 lb bicycles?
You mean his idea that a heavier bike produces a better workout? Nothing wrong with that except that it's wrong.

At a given output for a given amount of time, you'll just go father on the lighter bike. The "workout" is exactly the same.

No one is arguing that "bike weight means nothing". That's just a strawman.

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-14-22 at 11:21 AM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 07-14-22, 11:15 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
"Get out of my way!" -- as if the other person's way goes through people who have every right to be there as well.
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 07-14-22, 04:41 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
Perhaps fat 25mm tubulars work at Paris-Roubaix.
In fact, 30mm tubeless seem to work best…don't ask me, just look at the pro teams and who’s on the podium recently.
Old 07-14-22, 06:07 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts

Basic math.
I use my heavy-ish hybrid (38 pounds) with triple crank exclusively for errands and for low-effort recovery rides. I use my light bikes (19 pounds and under) for all my high-effort rides.

Horses for courses.
Old 07-14-22, 06:35 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by MoAlpha

3. "Electrolytes"
Old 07-14-22, 07:07 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 5,625 Times in 2,914 Posts
Eat to ride. Ride to eat.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 07-14-22, 08:43 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
That it's too dangerous to ride without a helmet (if, for instance, one forgot his).
Old 07-14-22, 09:05 PM
Camilo

Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts

Basic math.
No, in real life we ride for a pre-determined length of time at whatever effort we choose to put out that day, let's say "full effort". In that time, the same amount of effort will let you go farther and have more fun on the lightweight good quality bike than the heavy bike. Same effort. Not harder or easier on either, just the distance and fun factor varies.

Even if you limit yourself to a certain specific route, for the same effort (not less) you'll simply do it faster on the lighter or better bike especially if there's any elevation gain or stopping and starting.

It's just silly to think that one has to work harder - for example, going up hill - on a heavier bike. If you were going the same speed, yes. But the lighter bike would go faster or further with exactly the same level of effort.

Last edited by Camilo; 07-14-22 at 11:01 PM.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 07-14-22, 10:06 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by smd4
Angry young woman after we told her we were having difficulty getting perfect shifting results with her department store bike:

"DO YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT ANYTHING???!!!"
"Anybody can work on that high end Campagnolo and Shimano stuff. It takes a real mechanic to get a Walmart bicycle to work."
Old 07-14-22, 10:12 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Liked 1,627 Times in 932 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
"Anybody can work on that high end Campagnolo and Shimano stuff. It takes a real mechanic to get a Walmart bicycle to work."
Ain't that the truth.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 07-14-22, 10:41 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Quoted: 3422 Post(s)
Liked 3,559 Times in 1,789 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
Having worked on many, I’d go further than that. It takes a wizard to make a department store bike work.

Old 07-15-22, 07:30 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Sorry to keep the low-info argument going, but I have heard a lot of people claim they get a better workout on a heavier bike than on a lighter bike... and they weren't talking about a19 lb racing bike vs a 25lb touring bike, they were talking about a 19lb racing bike vs a 40 lb beach cruiser.

The point made above that if riding the same loop the heavier bike will give a better workout is correct on paper, but in the real world (a) the vast majority of us don't ride the same loop all the time - we have the freedom to choose where we ride as we are riding, and riding a lighter/faster bike makes you feel like you can ride further (because you can) and so you will often choose a longer or more challenging route, and (ii) a heavier/slower bike is less rewarding so you are simply less likely to want to ride it - this is my experience and observation of many people, both friends and customers, over the years: heavy bikes can be great for certain things like 'boardwalk cruising' and possibly short errands and grocery store runs, but are less likely to be calling you out of bed at 7AM on Sunday to go out and do 100 miles through the mountains than a light bike would. I like to put it in terms of a 'reward:effort' ratio - a lighter/faster bike pays you back with more exhilarating speed for every added watt of output than does a heavy bike, and this conditions most people to feel like they are enjoying the riding more and makes it more likely that they will go out on more rides. Heavy/slow bikes have a way of subtly discouraging longer rides and making most people ride less over time.

Again, this is the difference between, say, a road bike vs a beach cruiser or a fat bike with its winter studded tires left on, or DH mountain bike with stiff sidewall 3" tires.
The difference between a 19 lb road bike and a 21 lb road bike, or even a 22 lb gravel bike or 25 lb touring bike is much more subtle, and when cruising on flat ground, once you are accelerated up to your cruising speed, there is very little difference in effort between different types of 'fast' bikes.

Once up to speed on flat ground, weight, even rotating weight, makes virtually zero difference. On hills, rotating weight makes exactly the same difference to effort as the same amount of static weight, like a tool kit or extra water bottle.
Old 07-15-22, 07:39 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
No, in real life we ride for a pre-determined length of time at whatever effort we choose to put out that day, let's say "full effort". In that time, the same amount of effort will let you go farther and have more fun on the lightweight good quality bike than the heavy bike. Same effort. Not harder or easier on either, just the distance and fun factor varies.

Even if you limit yourself to a certain specific route, for the same effort (not less) you'll simply do it faster on the lighter or better bike especially if there's any elevation gain or stopping and starting.

It's just silly to think that one has to work harder - for example, going up hill - on a heavier bike. If you were going the same speed, yes. But the lighter bike would go faster or further with exactly the same level of effort.
I think there's also an obvious fact that if you do the ride faster on the lighter bike, you're increasing air resistance and that will at least partially offset any difference in effort even if you're just doing the same ride faster. Overcoming air resistance to go faster is more fun than overcoming gravity to propel a heavier bike, so I don't doubt that the speed reward might inspire me to put out more effort more than adding a few pounds to the bike would. Hence, I may actually get a better workout in a shorter time on the same distance on the lighter bike. Please notice the word "may",
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-15-22, 02:14 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4933 Post(s)
Liked 8,072 Times in 3,815 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I think there's also an obvious fact that if you do the ride faster on the lighter bike, you're increasing air resistance and that will at least partially offset any difference in effort even if you're just doing the same ride faster. Overcoming air resistance to go faster is more fun than overcoming gravity to propel a heavier bike, so I don't doubt that the speed reward might inspire me to put out more effort more than adding a few pounds to the bike would. Hence, I may actually get a better workout in a shorter time on the same distance on the lighter bike. Please notice the word "may",
Fo' sho'. A racy bike (light, etc.) inspires me to attempt to ride in a racy manner, which typically includes pushing my effort to the point of extended suffering. I'm much likely to have that mental approach if I'm pedaling an iron pig.
Old 07-15-22, 04:50 PM
timsch

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount Series 9C PDG, Specialized Enduro Pro (2002)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
you can't wear yellow
Likes For timsch:
Old 07-15-22, 05:13 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10413 Post(s)
Liked 11,874 Times in 6,081 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
You mean his idea that a heavier bike produces a better workout? Nothing wrong with that except that it's wrong.

At a given output for a given amount of time, you'll just go father on the lighter bike. The "workout" is exactly the same.

No one is arguing that "bike weight means nothing". That's just a strawman.
I've determined, using the solid common sense of this argument, that I was a fool to lose 30 lbs back in 2020, because I'd be getting much better workout if I were fatter.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-16-22, 08:14 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by trackhub
I'll begin with one of the great standards:
-I always ride on the left, so I can see the cars coming at me.
-It came with reflectors, so I don't need any lights.
-I only ride on the sidewalk, so I don't need a helmet.
This was told to me by someone with a master's degree
in mechanical engineering. Nope, nothing wrong here.
With a "proper fit" you can ride DF bikes pain free.
Old 07-16-22, 08:20 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
And in years past the stiff necked "traditionalist" have told me that click shifting is a fad that wont last, and dont work very well any way. About the same time clipless pedals came out, and they too had the " real cyclist turning their noses up at them again telling me they were a fad. And 5 years ago, give or take, the same thing was said about disc brakes.
Old 07-16-22, 01:31 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
“Mountain Biking is too dangerous for me. I’ll stick to Road Riding”.
Old 07-16-22, 01:44 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,103 Times in 1,367 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
“Mountain Biking is too dangerous for me. I’ll stick to Road Riding”.
Road biking is too dangerous, I'm switching to gravel!
Genesis 49:16-17

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.