Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Crack in my MTB bike?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Crack in my MTB bike?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-22, 08:44 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Devil's Advocate here.
Drill a "stop hole" at each end of the crack. See THIS for example.
A hole of an appropriate diameter increases the radius of curvature and will prevent the crack from progressing. I would make the hole about 10mm, and I would chamfer and smooth the inside edges.
There are a few reasons I think this might be something to try while you procure a replacement frame:
1) the stop holes would be in position for easy observation to detect further propagation of the crack,
2) the further propagation, though probably inevitable, would be unlikely to happen suddenly,
3) even a complete fracture in this location would probably not result in a catastrophic failure (as compared to, say, a fork leg or a chainstay).
(/DA mode)

Here are two stress-relief ("crack-stop") holes on the handlepost of one of my folding bikes. This has remained stable for over 1,000 miles. Ugly but effective.
Old 07-30-22, 09:56 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Repairs might be possible. Carbon fiber or cast wrap. It wouldn't be regulation, for sure. Trouble with replacement is that a 10 year old suspension frame is not likely to have a straight replacement still selling at retail.

@curbtender you might be expecting the tube to be under compression like a diamond frame. But the compression is being handled by the shock. The tube is under tension from the suspension rocker
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 07-30-22 at 10:02 PM.
Old 07-30-22, 10:25 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
If the prior owner was the original owner he could have rolled it back into the shop for his lifetime warranty replacement, but it doesn't transfer
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 07-31-22, 08:26 PM
tinofenotti

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
You're kidding, right? No photos? How is anyone supposed to give you advice on something that is purely visual?
Tried but couldn't upload any pics, I need to post at least 10 times before I can upload photos. Tried deleting the post however was unsuccessful. But thanks for responding.
Old 07-31-22, 08:38 PM
tinofenotti

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimc101
Why? your assuming that the seller knew it was there.

Being that the buyer said they needed to wash it to find it, would indicate that the bike was sold is a dirty condition, which would indicate that it was being used prior to purchase, and the seller possibly didn't know it was there.

The question then should be, why buy a bike that's dirty/not washed, as it can potentially (like in this case) have major issues not immediately visible.

If you're going to buy a dirty bike, the price should reflect this, no mention of if they buyer paid market value or less, not a lot of info supplied to go on.
The bike was spotless when I bought it. I inspected the frame and didn't see the crack at the time of sale. When I was wiping it down after my ride, that's when I noticed it as it was up on the stand. I'm pretty sure he noticed it as well when he cleaned it for sale. I paid market value.