Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike computer: looking for displaying stats, wireless sensor connectivity and logging

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike computer: looking for displaying stats, wireless sensor connectivity and logging

Old 08-10-22, 10:08 AM
sayn3ver

Bikes: 1989 Bianchi Giro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I started riding again last summer.

It's been a year and I'd like to add a computer.

I was considering just mounting my phone but my iPhone 12 mini has horrid battery life and by the time I get home after work I'd have to wait for it to charge if planning on using that as a computer and that would be frustrating on the days I'd be trying to beat sunset.

im looking to a device that displays the basics (speed cadence distance heart rate) on the display while riding.

id like to connect various ant+ or Bluetooth third party sensors. Ideally it could display a power meter output eventually.

id also like for it to log and be able to upload data to a cycling app like Strava or Kamoot or even just excel.

color or black and white. Typically I prefer replaceable batteries but that's rare in 2022.

I don't need gps or navigation but not opposed to having it onboard it just won't get much use.

I also don't want to spend $250-300.
I'd like to be below $200 if possible.

my last computer was a wired Cateye from 2008ish.
Old 08-10-22, 10:55 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked 838 Times in 406 Posts
check out Garmin 130+ here I wanted something small that will handle upgrades. I use it with wahoo HRM, Garmin Rally power meter pedal, uploads to Garmin Connect and thru to Strava.
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 08-10-22, 01:06 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
Originally Posted by sayn3ver
id like to connect various ant+ or Bluetooth third party sensors. Ideally it could display a power meter output eventually.

id also like for it to log and be able to upload data to a cycling app like Strava or Kamoot or even just excel.

color or black and white. Typically I prefer replaceable batteries but that's rare in 2022.

I don't need gps or navigation but not opposed to having it onboard it just won't get much use.

I also don't want to spend $250-300.
I'd like to be below $200 if possible.

my last computer was a wired Cateye from 2008ish.
With your various desires, replaceable batteries are not a good idea. Years ago I had a really nice VDO computer that did many of the things you ask for. It devoured batteries, I had to change them 3-4 times a year and reprogram the darn thing each time. If you want to log your rides on Strava you need GPS to see where you rode. I have a 10 year old Garmin Edge 500 which has served me well. It connects to various sensors via ANT+. I have to plug it into my computer to download rides which also recharges it. I also have a Garmin 820 which I bought for a trip to France because the person who organized the trip sent us all a bunch of rides he built up on Ride with GPS and I wanted to be able to just choose one and be able to go off on my own if I didn't want to do a group ride. The 820 is able to connect to sensors via Bluetooth or ANT+. It also can connect directly to WiFi to download rides. I just got back from a ride and by the time I went upstairs after the ride I could review it on Strava. It just connected to my home WiFi after I saved the ride and downloaded it directly to Garmin connect and through to Strava
Old 08-10-22, 01:52 PM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Wahoo Elemnt Bolt v1 should be $200 or less now.
Old 08-10-22, 02:25 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Originally Posted by ZHVelo
Wahoo Elemnt Bolt v1 should be $200 or less now.
A link is always helpful. Good recommendation, I found one on Amazon for $179. Good deal

https://www.amazon.com/Wahoo-ELEMNT-...06XT3YX7T?th=1
Old 08-10-22, 06:25 PM
sayn3ver

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
With your various desires, replaceable batteries are not a good idea. Years ago I had a really nice VDO computer that did many of the things you ask for. It devoured batteries, I had to change them 3-4 times a year and reprogram the darn thing each time. If you want to log your rides on Strava you need GPS to see where you rode. I have a 10 year old Garmin Edge 500 which has served me well. It connects to various sensors via ANT+. I have to plug it into my computer to download rides which also recharges it. I also have a Garmin 820 which I bought for a trip to France because the person who organized the trip sent us all a bunch of rides he built up on Ride with GPS and I wanted to be able to just choose one and be able to go off on my own if I didn't want to do a group ride. The 820 is able to connect to sensors via Bluetooth or ANT+. It also can connect directly to WiFi to download rides. I just got back from a ride and by the time I went upstairs after the ride I could review it on Strava. It just connected to my home WiFi after I saved the ride and downloaded it directly to Garmin connect and through to Strava

I didn't think about the gps for those types of app uploads.

currently I use free Strava with my phone in my rear Jersey pocket for logging. With the screen off I have no issues using my phone for data collection.

For training I want to view heart rate and speed/cadence in real time which is more of the internal push for a dedicated bike computer.

(eventually maybe power meter output if I remain engaged and active for another couple years. Coming from college rowing on concept2 ergs I do enjoy workouts targeting steady watts as it helps focus of smoothness and delivery and adds a mental target to longer steady state type workouts)

honestly I'm surprise smart sun glasses haven't caught on for cycling. It could give you a heads up type display of your data without removing your eyes from the road (I ride in a congested area so vehicle awareness take priority for me as I'm typically out solo).

im assuming I could still log the ride via my phone (and even log the heart rate and speed data in wahoo fitness right?) I bring my phone regardless for emergency calls and it's standby time is adequate.

assuming I want to commit to always having my phone on me,

this would work in theory correct?
https://www.cateyeamerica.com/padron...a400b/1604810/

Last edited by sayn3ver; 08-10-22 at 06:28 PM.
Old 08-10-22, 10:31 PM
Canker

Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
Lezyne and Bryton both make good cheaper GPS units. I run a lezyne super pro which runs $150 with no complaints.
Old 08-11-22, 01:54 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 99 Posts
You can get heart rate and cadence (though not power, I think) from a non GPS unit such as the Cateye. In my opinion, though, a GPS unit such as the Garmin, Wahoo, etc gives you so much more that they're worth the extra money. There's no way I'd be without mine now.
Old 08-11-22, 05:39 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,424 Times in 2,825 Posts
It’s always a good idea to having a phone with you. In case of emergency, like you get punted into a ditch, or have an unrecoverable mechanical issue or if someone needs to really reach you a phone is always a good idea. When it rain be, I place mine in a zip lock bag.

Old 08-11-22, 09:35 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,164 Times in 761 Posts
Originally Posted by Canker
Lezyne and Bryton both make good cheaper GPS units. I run a lezyne super pro which runs $150 with no complaints.
I don't know about Bryton, but I had a Lezyne. It worked just fine and did everything I needed it to but switched to a Garmin 530 and Garmine 130. Hands down the display clarity on the Garmin units is much better than the Lezyne. Especially in the sunlight.

I use a Garmin instinct watch to broadcast my heartrate to the garmin bike computer.
Old 08-11-22, 01:28 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 101 Posts
This computer can do logging, heart rate and cadence. No GPS. Replaceable battery, 2450 type.

Edit: the sensors are wireless, but they are not ANT or Bluetooth.

Last edited by csport; 08-12-22 at 07:30 PM.
Old 08-12-22, 05:00 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 1,450 Times in 702 Posts
I use a Chinese head unit. GPS, heart, cadence & power, auto upload to Strava, et al, for $50.

Cycplus M1

The Reds now get my ride data without having to buy it from Strava. Despite my personal biking data tipping the strategic balance of power, I like it.
Old 08-12-22, 10:10 AM
sayn3ver

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BTinNYC
I use a Chinese head unit. GPS, heart, cadence & power, auto upload to Strava, et al, for $50.

Cycplus M1

The Reds now get my ride data without having to buy it from Strava. Despite my personal biking data tipping the strategic balance of power, I like it.

I checked that out now while on my lunch break. Wish it did Bluetooth sensors I'd be all over that.
Old 08-12-22, 10:48 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4831 Post(s)
Liked 7,821 Times in 3,705 Posts
Another vote for the Wahoo Bolt. It does everything you've said you want....except the replaceable battery thing. That said, the battery life on the Bolt has been very good.

I've been using my Bolt for 2 years, with 4 different bikes, and it's been excellent. It has navigation features, but I don't really use them. I really like the customizable pages that allow me to set up what data I want to see, based on what sensors I have on each bike. My #1 road bike has a power meter, the others don't. For my MTBs, I like having climbing data (grade, elevation, elevation gain). Being able to zoom in and out of the pages to show more or less data fields is also nice.
Old 08-12-22, 12:26 PM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
Another vote for Wahoo, got the Bolt years ago and last year got the Roam. One of the reasons I went with Wahoo was for the big buttons and lack of touchscreen. I had been using my phone mounted on the bike with Strava running and it was miserable. Could barely see anything because of the glare and if I got any sweat on my hands the touchscreen wouldn't work.
Old 08-12-22, 12:28 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by REDMASTA
Another vote for Wahoo, got the Bolt years ago and last year got the Roam. One of the reasons I went with Wahoo was for the big buttons and lack of touchscreen. I had been using my phone mounted on the bike with Strava running and it was miserable. Could barely see anything because of the glare and if I got any sweat on my hands the touchscreen wouldn't work.
The touch screens on the Garmins isn't really a problem. Some people like buttons.
Old 08-12-22, 05:43 PM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 519 Times in 242 Posts
Originally Posted by Canker
Yep. I have two Brytons (a 420 and a 750) and they've both been great. Only bought the 750 because I needed something with Garmin Varia support, otherwise I'd still be just using the 420.