Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Safety razor

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Safety razor

Old 02-24-22, 05:40 PM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
Safety razor

[WFH has changed my shaving routine. Cartridge razors struggle on a week-long growth. A safety razor is in the mail]

Anyone travels with this type of contraption? Probably completely idiotic, but I was wondering (a) how easy/difficult it is to find blades around the world; (b) how to dispose of used blades; (c) whether chrome plated travels ok or if stainless steel is a must.

[EDIT] I've posted a summary here.

Last edited by gauvins; 03-02-22 at 10:45 AM. Reason: link to summary
Old 02-24-22, 06:36 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
Blades are plentiful from numerous manufactures, but you may have to order online if not in a major market.
If you have never used a double edge safety razor, get a sampler pack of blades and some practice to see which blades you and your face prefer before heading out on tour. I prefer stainless blades, but there are many other high carbon steel blades that are very nice as well. I have never had a blade rust or anything like that before getting around to using it - if you were referring to the razor itself being stainless, I would not worry about that at all. None of mine are stainless, and still look like new after years of use. I believe they are chrome plated brass. Just get a good quality razor, I have a couple Merkur razors and they have been very good.
You can get a metal blade disposal container to keep spent blades from causing any damage - it will hold years worth of used blades.
Wet shaving has a bit of a learning curve if you are used to a cartridge razor, but you can get a much more comfortable shave, especially if you have a thicker beard and sensitive skin like I do. A good slant razor and sharp blade will effortlessly cut through a week of growth in one pass.

Last edited by SalsaShark; 02-24-22 at 06:46 PM.
Likes For SalsaShark:
Old 02-24-22, 06:38 PM
Tusk

Bikes: 1986 Scwinn Prelude 20?? Motobecane Ti 'Le Champion"

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
I have one of those. Got it from my dad. I thought it would be cool, going old school. I used it a couple of times.

If that was the only choice, I'd grow a beard.
Likes For Tusk:
Old 02-24-22, 06:49 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
Not sure if an injector razor is an option. I used one for half of my life or so. It was an old Shick of my dad's. It isn't as nice as the cartridge razors, but it worked okay.
Old 02-24-22, 07:01 PM
N2deep

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by gauvins
[WFH has changed my shaving routine. Cartridge razors struggle on a week-long growth. A safety razor is in the mail]

Anyone travels with this type of contraption? Probably completely idiotic, but I was wondering (a) how easy/difficult it is to find blades around the world; (b) how to dispose of used blades; (c) whether chrome plated travels ok or if stainless steel is a must.
I threw the cartridges in the trash years ago and learned how to shave with a safety razor, that takes a day or two. I've tried most of the razor and blades and picked the Feather Razor and Feather Blades, a great choice. I save daily thru the week and skip the weekend. I suggest buying a refurbished older/vintage gillette that's adjustable and start on a low setting and raise the setting untill your comfortable. Traveling is easy, put your razor in an old plastic hard case for glasses..

Have Fun
Old 02-24-22, 07:13 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Use disposables, like a Bic. That way you can maintain your contribution to first-world wastefulness while otherwise making your low-impact tour.

Being bearded, I vote beard.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 02-24-22, 11:22 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 343 Posts
You could go the route of Ryan Van Duzer. He brings a rechargeable electric shaver and shaves everyday

Or once a week as you please
Old 02-25-22, 06:01 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
Are you saying that I was supposed to quit using my slim Gillette twist to open adjustable razor years ago? There is something newer?

Ok, I know there is something newer, used a Schick injector for about a half decade, several decades ago. And used disposable Bics when I traveled. But the injector and Bic were too easy to clog when I had not shaved for over a week. Still carry old Bics when I fly and don't check luggage. Have maybe half a dozen Bics remaining.

Several years ago I switched to Dorco brand stainless steel double edge blades. Whomever in marketing picked that brand name must have been a disgruntled employee. But I have no complaints about them. Several years ago bought a hundred blade pack shipped from Asia, I still have several year supply remaining.

I have used a few of the double edge razors that are not twist to open, they clog and are harder to deal with when you have not shaved for over a week. The twist to open, you can open it part way and rinse in water to clear out the cut hairs quite easily, takes two to three seconds.

To answer your questions:
(A) I used to buy blades in the local stores when double edge blades were common, switched to bulk package shipped from Asia when double edge blades became less common. Have not tried to buy blades when traveling, do not know how easy that is.
(B) You are not supposed to put sharp things in the trash. Used blades, I put in a small plastic container until I have maybe a dozen or so. Then I wrap that stack of blades into a bundle with tape so that it is a chunk of something all wrapped up into a bundle that can't cut anything. And that goes into recycle bin. Stainless is non-magnetic, but the Dorco blades which are stainless can be picked up by a magnet, I assume that it ends up with the iron stuff at the recycle center. Decades ago the blades came in a package that had a slot where you put your used blades, then disposed of that package, not sure if they are currently sold in packs of ten that have that storage and disposal option any more.
(C) I do not think I have ever used any that were not stainless or partially stainless. I have not had any blades rust.

If you have any old plastic containers that used to come with 35mm film cartridges, I cut a slot maybe 8 to 10mm wide in the side of one of those part way down it, I can put the razor head inside that container and put the lid on it to protect the top for travel, the handle sticks out of the side where the slot was cut. Assuming you got a twist to open style, leave the twist mechanism somewhat loose, not tightened. But make sure you tighten it before using, if it is not tight it can cut. If you use a plastic container over the head, you could carry spare blades in that too, wrapped in paper to avoid cutting things.

I have a beard and mustache, but shave upper cheeks and on my neck. And before I retired I only shaved twice a week, after retirement about once a week. Thus my blades get a lot less wear compared to blades used by people that completely shave their face most or all days. I might use only one tenth as many blades as most other people.

A bit more trivia if you are not bored yet, the black handled twist to open Gillettes, you really should take the blade out and leave them open to dry after you shave, there is some dissimilar metal somewhere in the handle that can corrode. But the nickel color Gillettes (I think it is nickel plated but I have not researched it) does not corrode as bad or maybe not at all. The black handle ones came in a short or long version, I prefer the longer ones. Gillette made one with a thicker handle, collectors call them a fat boy. I do not have one of those. I am not a collector, I bought a few to use decades ago and still use them.

I am more inclined to carry a disposable Bic when traveling or touring, but the questions were more specific to non-disposables, the razors I have used for decades for home use are in the photo. The razor with the plastic cover (former film container) over the head is from my gym bag. That would be a good way to protect your stuff on a tour from any sharp edges.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 02-25-22 at 10:48 AM.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 02-25-22, 07:00 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by thumpism
Being bearded, I vote beard.
If you go that route, having a barber trim it up once in a while would be an option.
Old 02-25-22, 07:43 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
If you go that route, having a barber trim it up once in a while would be an option.
I bring scissors myself, but still shave my neck every 2, 3 days with a good disposable and a traveling can of shaving cream, both can last a few months if used judiciously.
Old 02-25-22, 07:47 AM
John N

Bikes: Co-Motion Americano Pinion P18; Co-Motion Americano Rohloff; Thorn Nomad MkII, Robert Beckman Skakkit (FOR SALE), Santana Tandem, ICE Adventure FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
The things you learn about while touring.
Old 02-25-22, 10:36 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Originally Posted by John N
The things you learn about while touring.
I've had a beard since 92 or 93 from not bothering to take any shaving stuff on a bike trip.
Old 02-25-22, 11:39 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,805 Times in 1,051 Posts
Interesting.

Do you bring shaving cream? Heat the water over your stove? Use cold water? Pack a special basin? Dry shave?
Old 02-25-22, 12:00 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
I've used a safety razor for over 5 years now and will never go back to the disposable ones. Merkurs are good razors, but there are many others. Blade supply should not be an issue. I'd go as far to say that the double edged blades are more likely to be found globally than the proprietary ones. Blades typically are in 5 packs that are very small. You could easily pack enough blades to cover you're whole tour. I usually get 3-4 shaves from a blade.

The biggest issue that I see is damage to the actual razor. They are not fragile; however you don't want to drop or crush them. They come in 2 or 3 piece designs. For touring, I'd recommend a 3 piece because they can be taken apart and stored more compactly and securely.

Good luck.
Old 02-25-22, 03:30 PM
adventurepdx

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
Anyone travel with this type of contraption? Probably completely idiotic, but I was wondering (a) how easy/difficult it is to find blades around the world; (b) how to dispose of used blades; (c) whether chrome plated travels ok or if stainless steel is a must.
I've been using a safety razor for about a decade, after using disposables since my teen years. Like others have said, I won't go back.

For travel/bike touring, I have an old three-piece collapsible Gillette razor and bring a travel size brush and travel size tube of cream. I'll use my camp cup or a mug from the place I'm staying to lather up. If I don't want to bother with that, I'll take the razor and some shaving oil--not as good, but barely takes up any space in the toiletry kit. I'll sometimes take a small Nalgene bottle (the 1 oz size) filled with aftershave or use some Aloe Vera lotion if I don't want to bother with the aftershave.

To answer your questions:
  • It's not hard to find blades in the US. The major drugstore chains (CVS, Walgreens, Rite Aid) will have something, along with chain grocery stores. I regularly see either the generic blade like this https://www.cvs.com/shop/blade-doubl...-prodid-278077 or sometimes the better-quality ones with the windmill in the orange package (Van der Hagen). For Canada, Shoppers Drug Mart carries Wilkinson-Sword, which is my preferred blade: https://shop.shoppersdrugmart.ca/Sho...e=841058044024 If you bring the 5 or 10 pack, it should last the length of a few month tour, so you wouldn't really need to worry about resupplying on the road.
  • If you bring along one of those blade 5 or 10 packs, there will be a slot in the back for the used blades. If I'm only bringing one blade for a short trip, I'll keep it packed with the razor and safely dispose when I get home. Like others have mentioned, never throw a naked blade into the trash.
  • I've only used Stainless Steel blades, so I can't speak for the chromed.
Hope this helps!
Old 02-26-22, 05:12 AM
anga

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 21 Posts
I started shaving with safety razors and later shifted to cartridges.

For infrequent shaving, I first use a beard trimmer and then use a cartridge razor.
Old 02-26-22, 06:21 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by tcs
Interesting.

Do you bring shaving cream? Heat the water over your stove? Use cold water? Pack a special basin? Dry shave?
FWIW, around home I used plain water for years, then later any kind of soap that was handy, these days I use some of that foamy hand soap if there is some handy (the pump stuff that foams as you pump). On tour I don't usually shave.
Old 02-26-22, 07:52 PM
GeorgeBaby

Bikes: 2005 Bike Friday NWT, Bacchetta Giro 26, 2019 Titanium Bilenky Midlands

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I've used a safety razor for the last 50 years, or so.

I normally just travel with a disposable razor, which works fine for a short trip. If I were taking a long one, I'd pack a travel razor (like https://www.amazon.com/MERKUR-Travel.../dp/B004GQSUTW), and bring a pack of double-edge blades, as suggested earlier (https://www.amazon.com/Feather-Doubl.../dp/B00AGG3MRG), which provides a keeper for used blades. Note that double-edged razor blades cannot be in carryon luggage (https://www.tsa.gov/blog/2018/08/07/...mpoo-deodorant).

For shaving soap, I just use a small travel can (https://www.amazon.com/Barbasol-Sens.../dp/B01N2UDSSK), rather than go the brush and bowl route, like I do at home.

Last edited by GeorgeBaby; 02-26-22 at 07:55 PM.
Old 02-27-22, 05:54 AM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 394 Times in 258 Posts
What about a straight razor from 100 years ago? It could also serve as a protective weapon should you need it.

Seriously though there THREE Panasonic single head Shavers that all share the same exact screen and cutter. Two are AA battery powered , the other is rechargeable.
The rechargeable model has been in continuous production for more than 25 years, however it has not been offered in the North American market since 2011. The reason was though it was very popular among regular rechargeable shaver users, its forty dollar price point and effectiveness believed by many regular users to be superior in shave quality to almost all $150+ multi head rechargeable shavers, it cannibalized a significant portion of American sales of the gimmicky, high profit shavers that sell in huge numbers at Christmas season and Fathers Day in June. Other than that electric shavers sales tend to be flat or minimal in the USA compared to other Europe, Japan, South America, Australia etc. Americans have historically probably favored blade useage by a margin greater than 9 to 1 since very high quality Ronson electrics came on the scene in the 1950's...................remember Ronson came out with the first thin foil screen, and yes Ronson had the ad campaign with "Shaves As Close As A Blade Or Your Money Back...by 1966......... Norelco had the twin rotating blades but the Norelco would pull like crazy and wouldn't get as close in rounded areas near the chin. Those were the only two shavers that provided a good electric shave in the 1950's or 1960's. Remington either bought or licensed the patents that Ronson had, and the Remington Microscreen of circa was a twin head Ronson design. Victor Kiam as owner of Remington was doing tv commercials in 1977 - 1978 with the same exact advertising tag line of Shaves as Close As A Blade or Your Money Back that Ronson ads had used around 1965 - 1966 . Schick in the early seventies marketed at one time both Norelco style (rotary) and old Ronson , old Remington style (foil) shavers, as did Gillette through its owned companies.
The rechargeable shavers of the sixties and early seventies were super expensive, although the corded models weren't too expensive.
The FOIL screen models of yesterday worked very well although they required multiple passes over areas and required that you stretch the facial skin with your other hand to get a close shave. Foils haven't improved that much as you can't get the foil any thinner, etc.
ANYWAY, these current Single Head PANASONIC shavers work great, and the simple single head is more manueverable around sideburns, mustaches, to clean neck hairline, beard/goatee outline, and for head shaving and around ears etc because of the simple narrow head shape.
The Major Drawback to such a battery/rechargeable electric shaver IS that You Must SHAVE Daily because Shavers will Only Remove short stubble, as they aren't designed to remove anything more than a day and a half's growth on somebody that can really grow a good 5 o'clock shadow by after just 9 hours after a very close blade shave. So if you go two days without shaving, you will need a trimmer to mow down the beard to a short stubble that the shaver can then effectively shave down.
A Norelco rotary style shaver will do possibly almost three day growth but you'll find it painful because it will grab and yank as it cuts. If you shave daily with a rotary style, the pulling/yanking will be minimal since the stubble will still be short enough to work with. Foil shavers will provide a closer to blade like shave on persons with the ability to grow a 5 o'clock shadow by 3pm, but they can't shave down two days worth of growth.......you gotta have short enough stubble to start with.

PANASONIC ES-3831K travel shaver (all black in color) takes two AA batteries (recommend buying 24pk Thunderbolt Alkaline AA from Harbor Freight..that 24pack should last about a year in the panasonic two AA battery shavers)
PANASONIC ES-3831K is exactly the same as PANASONIC ES-3832P, the only difference is that the ES-3832P is silver & black in color and offered in different geographic markets, and some world markets along with the all black panasonic ES-3831K model (they are exactly the same other than color)

PANASONIC ES-3833 is the two AA battery model that has a Pop Up Trimmer..................The PANASONIC ES-3831K does not have.....the ES-3832P does not have.

There is the original rechargeable Single head PANASONIC ES-SA40 which left the North American market in 2011, though remains in production for other markets.
Though you can purchase it new ONLINE from those other markets, you would have the wrong charger in the package for the American market. Thus, you'd have to purchase a separate PANASONIC north America charger from the manufacturer, or already have the old charger from the US market item. You will not be able to charge the ES-SA40 with the 220v adapter supplied for the markets it is sold in today. You will need to buy & separately obtain the 110v specific Panasonic part number adapter for the ES-SA40.
This ES-SA40 rechargeable has been in continuous production since about 1996. The AA battery travel shavers mentioned above ( ES-3831K, ES-3832P & ES-3833) were all designed about fifteen years ago using the exact same cutter and screen as the older ES-SA-40 rechargeable.
The AA battery powered travel shavers provide just as good of blade speed cutting action as the fully charged rechargeable.
The older ES-SA40 rechargeable has the best pop-up trimmer.

Here are the items to see for yourself:
https://www.harborfreight.com/aa-alk...-pk-61271.html

https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Ele.../dp/B001CS8BJ6

https://shavercheck.com/reviews/pana...s3831k-review/

https://www.ebay.com/p/1240560802

https://www.panasonic.com/sg/consume...er/es3833.html

https://www.ebay.com/itm/164496206763
https://www.ebay.com/itm/153700188594

ES-SA40 rechargeable NOT SOLD OR MARKETED IN USA SINCE 2011 though currently sold elsewhere in the world:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/324826089184
https://www.ebay.com/itm/114837231276
ES-SA40 necessary 110v USA charger https://www.ebay.com/itm/131092996862

Perhaps a better solution to the ancient Double Edge blades that everybody ditched in 1972, for the TRAC II blades is to go with an old TRAC II and new replacement blades for the TRAC II. You'll probably get less nicks, and gotchas because of the better blade angle approach, unless you're really good handling the old safety razor handle. I'd also imagine that the quality of double edge blades varies a lot and probably nobody is making them to the quality that basic blades from anybody making them in the early seventies (e.g. Wilkinson-Sword, Schick, Gillette circa 1970 etc..)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/143742488465
https://www.ebay.com/itm/322088704705
https://www.ebay.com/itm/175170055567
Old 02-27-22, 07:32 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

It usually takes more than three days to get this many strong opposing opinions aired. I can see why the OP has not returned.
Old 02-27-22, 12:05 PM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
Tourist in MSN I am following closely. Still absorbing the details. FWIW --

1. The razor I've ordered has a detachable head. (i.e. not the butterfly type). The plan is to unscrew the head when packing, to mitigate the risk of bending the razor due to pressure.
2. Seems that the easiest way to deal with blades is to use them once and then store the used blade in the dispenser's slot. Feather blades are shipped in reasonable dispensers, but I am still on the lookout for better ones (similar to vintage -- metal -- dispensers) EDIT: this box looks promising
3. It is possible to get more than one shave per blade while not risking accidental cuts by storing the head+blade inside a pillbox or film canister. Makes sense.

And yes, I didn't realize that we are passionate about shaving (or not shaving).

Last edited by gauvins; 02-27-22 at 12:29 PM.
Old 02-27-22, 01:12 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
I have to admit that I haven't looked at a 'safety' razor blade in so long, I am not even sure my local carries blade replacements for them. The pricing and theft of the refill cartridges for the multi blade thingys got so bad that all the shaving stuff is now in a locked glass case. There is nothing in there aside from the new flavor of whatever Gillette (etc.) are slinging.
Old 02-27-22, 01:22 PM
phughes

Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Someone asked about shaving cream. I use Arko soap in stick form, and put it in a twist up tube, similar to what deodorant sticks use. . I paid $11 for 12 sticks of Arko back in 2016, and I still have plenty left. It now costs $17 for 12, but it is still a bargain, and it is great shaving soap. I carry an Omega travel brush. It works really well and packs nicely in its own plastic cover/guard. I bought the boar bristle version from Amazon, but they don't have it anymore. Amazon does list the badger version now though, but it is naturally much more expensive. You can also get boxes for disposing razor blades on Amazon. I have one I have been using for four years that is not yet quite full.

I much prefer a double edged safety razor. The shave is better and more comfortable after you learn to use it. I have been using one since I began shaving, so I have that part down. I have tried others, but they require more pressure to work well, and that causes discomfort. With a safety razor you let the razor do the work without added pressure. More comfortable, and no razor rash. No cuts either if you if you use it correctly, i.e. don't add pressure. I haven't cut myself in over seven years. The last time I cut myself was when I was using a cartridge razor again before going back to a safety razor. The safety razor is much more economical too. 100 good blades will cost between $15-$20. I just bough 100 Astra Stainless blades for around $7.20. I have used the Astra Super Platinum blades and liked them. I decided to try the stainless version since many like them better. So far they are okay.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 02-27-22, 01:26 PM
phughes

Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts

1. The razor I've ordered has a detachable head. (i.e. not the butterfly type). The plan is to unscrew the head when packing, to mitigate the risk of bending the razor due to pressure.
2. Seems that the easiest way to deal with blades is to use them once and then store the used blade in the dispenser's slot. Feather blades are shipped in reasonable dispensers, but I am still on the lookout for better ones (similar to vintage -- metal -- dispensers) EDIT: this box looks promising
3. It is possible to get more than one shave per blade while not risking accidental cuts by storing the head+blade inside a pillbox or film canister. Makes sense.

And yes, I didn't realize that we are passionate about shaving (or not shaving).
I travel with the Mekur 34C. It is a detachable head as you describe. It has been great. I carry it in a Parker leather travel case. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 02-27-22, 04:03 PM
Tourist in MSN

The razors that you disassemble and assemble are more likely to clog if you have not shaved for over a week, the hairs are long enough that they are less likely to wash out with a quick shake in the water. That is one thing I prefer about my old twist to open, I can open it part way and wash the hair bits out, close it up in a few seconds. But mine, have had them since the last millennium.

I leave the blade inside it when in storage, but the knob is not tightened down.

The older packages that had a slot for disposing used blades, it is very hard to get a blade out of there after you put it in, it was intended to be for permanent disposal.

I only trim above and below my beard, do not do a full shave. I get quite a few shaves out of one blade, maybe over a dozen. I think you need to see for yourself when your blade does not cut as well as it used to, and see what that number is.

The blades I buy now (Dorco brand) are just wrapped in paper, several in a fiber box. No disposal method provided, thus I stick used ones in a plastic canister that was repurposed from something else.

If you want a metal box to store blades in, I would suggest the smaller Altoid box. They are not very expensive and include some free candies inside.

My point and shoot waterproof camera, two of those batteries fit in those candy boxes.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 02-28-22 at 04:53 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.