Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for an endurance/all-road bike with new Ultegra 12 speed groupset

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Suggestions for an endurance/all-road bike with new Ultegra 12 speed groupset

Old 07-19-22, 09:50 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
That's a really nice bike. I like the cable routing that isn't fully internal and that it uses a traditional stem and bar.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 07-20-22, 10:46 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 978 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I like the cable routing that isn't fully internal and that it uses a traditional stem and bar.
Amen.
Old 07-20-22, 05:20 PM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 276 Posts
And here it is... yeah, I picked this version because it had the traditional bar/stem setup...

Old 07-24-22, 03:07 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 443 Posts
I finished my Yoeleo R12 build. The frame arrived 9 days after ordering, with no freight, tax or customs duties. It's got great looking highly metallic red and black paint. The BB bores were tight and well aligned. I use a wheels manufacturing thread together BB with angular contact bearings. Not light or cheap, but very smooth and creak free. The total cost with smp saddle, fulcrum racing 3 wheels and force axs is only about $3800. Add $700 for the Zipp 303s wheels I used.
Old 07-24-22, 04:15 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
I finished my Yoeleo R12 build. The frame arrived 9 days after ordering, with no freight, tax or customs duties. It's got great looking highly metallic red and black paint. The BB bores were tight and well aligned. I use a wheels manufacturing thread together BB with angular contact bearings. Not light or cheap, but very smooth and creak free. The total cost with smp saddle, fulcrum racing 3 wheels and force axs is only about $3800. Add $700 for the Zipp 303s wheels I used.
The OP gets a new bike, and you post how yours was cheaper. Smooth, bro.
Old 07-24-22, 04:34 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliwild
And here it is... yeah, I picked this version because it had the traditional bar/stem setup...

that’s a sweet looking machine. Ought to be incredibly versatile and fun to ride. Enjoy it!!!
Likes For mschwett:
Old 07-25-22, 11:13 AM
DaveSSS 

I agree. Great looking bike. There are so many brands and models, it's hard to choose. Often it comes down to what's readily available. I like to build mine, since I have my favorite parts that I include on every build. Bike building isn't for everyone. It's still difficult to find some parts today.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 07-26-22, 06:08 AM
TennBent

Bikes: BMC Roadmachine, Obed Baseline

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
Great looking bike! That's the same one I've been after for several months now. My local shop is a BMC dealer and I put in a request for a Roadmachine THREE earlier this year. He told me that he would let his distributor know but I've heard nothing since. I'd better check in with them tomorrow to see what is going on. I really want one of those.
Likes For TennBent:
Old 07-27-22, 07:01 AM
TennBent

I'm coming back to update my previous post. It had been a while so, for giggles, I decided to do a search for BMC Roadmachine THREE for sale. Well, I'll be ding-danged. I actually got a hit. They showed it in stock in the size that I needed. They had a live chat feature so I utilized it to make sure that actually was the case. Turns out that they had 11 of these in stock along with several other models!! The guy said that they had only recently become a BMC dealer and that BMC had allocated a large number of bikes to them to help establish their presence as a dealer and also allowed them to ship bikes to buyers outside of their market area. Now I know where all the BMCs went! He also said that they were already told that when these were gone, there would be no restocking until 2023. As much as I wanted to go through my local shop, I knew that this was probably my only chance; especially since I had heard nothing for 5 months now.

The guy also said that all the bikes were already assembled and, like direct-to-consumer brands, they simply remove the handlebars and front wheel to ship. The Di2 is also already to go and they would do a light tune up on the bike just to doublecheck everything before shipping it out. So I went ahead and placed my order and it is supposed to be delivered within 10 business days. I feel bad for not going with my local shop but in these weird days of supply issues, you have to be ready to pounce. I didn't want to wait who knows how long if the bike I've been looking for is available somewhere else right now.

So a big thank you to Caliwild for posting that photo and inspiring me to try just one more time to find that bike.
Likes For TennBent:
Old 07-27-22, 06:42 PM
Caliwild

Originally Posted by TennBent
I'm coming back to update my previous post. It had been a while so, for giggles, I decided to do a search for BMC Roadmachine THREE for sale. Well, I'll be ding-danged. I actually got a hit. They showed it in stock in the size that I needed. They had a live chat feature so I utilized it to make sure that actually was the case. Turns out that they had 11 of these in stock along with several other models!! The guy said that they had only recently become a BMC dealer and that BMC had allocated a large number of bikes to them to help establish their presence as a dealer and also allowed them to ship bikes to buyers outside of their market area. Now I know where all the BMCs went! He also said that they were already told that when these were gone, there would be no restocking until 2023. As much as I wanted to go through my local shop, I knew that this was probably my only chance; especially since I had heard nothing for 5 months now.

The guy also said that all the bikes were already assembled and, like direct-to-consumer brands, they simply remove the handlebars and front wheel to ship. The Di2 is also already to go and they would do a light tune up on the bike just to doublecheck everything before shipping it out. So I went ahead and placed my order and it is supposed to be delivered within 10 business days. I feel bad for not going with my local shop but in these weird days of supply issues, you have to be ready to pounce. I didn't want to wait who knows how long if the bike I've been looking for is available somewhere else right now.

So a big thank you to Caliwild for posting that photo and inspiring me to try just one more time to find that bike.
AWESOME! I'm happy you got your hands on one. Glad I made someone else spend some money . I agree, you have to just get bikes/parts wherever you can at this point. Even my LBS tells me to get parts that they don't have somewhere else and that they will gladly install them. I actually needed a shorter BMC stem for my Roadmachine and found one online at Dialed Cycling Lab.

Anyway, I will say that the bike looks even better in person than it does online. And the new 12 speed Ultegra is probably some of the smoothest shifting I have ever experienced (I had an older version of Ultegra di2 and this is better). I think the only thing I will replace eventually are the wheels and tires. The stock aluminum wheels sure look nice but they're over 1700 grams and are the only parts keeping this bike from being a super bike... The new Ultegra C36 TL wheels would look great with the Ultegra groupset...
Likes For Caliwild:
Old 07-27-22, 07:43 PM
TennBent

AWESOME! I'm happy you got your hands on one. Glad I made someone else spend some money .
Well, I already had it spent in my mind so may as well do it for real. I've been eagerly awaiting one of these since the local shop owner discussed BMC bikes in general and the Di2 specifically. I was a bit shy about the Di2 initially but he explained everything and told me that I would love it.

I actually needed a shorter BMC stem for my Roadmachine and found one online at Dialed Cycling Lab.
I'm glad you mentioned that. I will most likely need a shorter stem and was wondering where I could find one.

Anyway, I will say that the bike looks even better in person than it does online. And the new 12 speed Ultegra is probably some of the smoothest shifting I have ever experienced (I had an older version of Ultegra di2 and this is better).
Great to hear. I have been drooling over the photos of the bike for months now. If it looks even better and shifts like butter, I will feel much better about parting with a bunch of my money.

I think the only thing I will replace eventually are the wheels and tires. The stock aluminum wheels sure look nice but they're over 1700 grams and are the only parts keeping this bike from being a super bike... The new Ultegra C36 TL wheels would look great with the Ultegra groupset...
Those wheels would look good but that's more than I want to spend right now. Getting the bike was the important thing. I have a set of Hunt 34 Aero Wide alloy wheels with GP5000s on my soon-to-be backup bike that I will probably put on the BMC. I know some folks don't care for Hunts but these look good, run fast, and have been trouble-free even over rough roads. They are listed at 1548 grams so there will be a bit of savings over stock there. Other wheels can wait for a while and they would be more for looks than anything else. Even those Ultegra wheels are only 2 ounces lighter at 1488 grams.

Thanks again for giving me the motivation to check on one and also for the encouraging early report on the bike. I really think I'm going to love it. Hopefully, both of us will have many happy miles ahead.
Old 07-28-22, 10:13 AM
Caliwild

Well, I already had it spent in my mind so may as well do it for real. I've been eagerly awaiting one of these since the local shop owner discussed BMC bikes in general and the Di2 specifically. I was a bit shy about the Di2 initially but he explained everything and told me that I would love it.

I'm glad you mentioned that. I will most likely need a shorter stem and was wondering where I could find one.

Great to hear. I have been drooling over the photos of the bike for months now. If it looks even better and shifts like butter, I will feel much better about parting with a bunch of my money.

Those wheels would look good but that's more than I want to spend right now. Getting the bike was the important thing. I have a set of Hunt 34 Aero Wide alloy wheels with GP5000s on my soon-to-be backup bike that I will probably put on the BMC. I know some folks don't care for Hunts but these look good, run fast, and have been trouble-free even over rough roads. They are listed at 1548 grams so there will be a bit of savings over stock there. Other wheels can wait for a while and they would be more for looks than anything else. Even those Ultegra wheels are only 2 ounces lighter at 1488 grams.

Thanks again for giving me the motivation to check on one and also for the encouraging early report on the bike. I really think I'm going to love it. Hopefully, both of us will have many happy miles ahead.
You're definitely going to love it... Glad I could help. My wheels came set up with tubes but the shop said I can run them tubeless. I definitely think I'll make the switch to tubeless (I have tubeless on my gravel bike and love it). The stock tires are Vittoria Rubino in a 700x28. I'm going to try to find some Continental 5000 or Pirelli P Zero tires in a 700x30, although stock seems pretty limited everywhere. Might as well go up a size to add even more comfort and larger contact patch... Post pics when you get the bike!
Likes For Caliwild:
Old 08-05-22, 06:29 AM
TennBent

You're definitely going to love it... Glad I could help......... Post pics when you get the bike!
Update of sorts, along with a major venting. I was hoping to post a pic today as I received the bike yesterday. However, the bike is now in the hands of my local shop to actually get it up and running. The shop/online retailer that I purchased it from had assured me that they would do a complete setup before shipping the bike to me so that all I would need to do is attach the handlebar, front wheel, and seat post. Well, it turns out that they didn't do anything! I could tell things were wrong as I tried to assemble it. They actually shipped it with the chain on in the big/big combination. I really wanted to get it shifted up to a more normal gear but I've never had Di2 so I wasn't sure how to go about that. I got someone on their live chat to try to help me. He was no help at all and started making stuff up as he went along and got a bit rough when I caught him in his contradictions. He ended up telling me to take it to my local shop to which I replied that I shouldn't have to since they had promised me a completely setup and working bike. He then told me that they NEVER suggest that anyone try to put the bike together themselves and to only take it to competent mechanic. I replied that that's not what I was told, that it's not what they company advertises and that they have assembly videos for folks who get a bike shipped to them. After voicing my displeasure, he then told me, "That's just the reality of online purchasing".

So I took it to my local shop. One of the mechanics looked at it and said that the seller had done absolutely nothing with it other than some basic assembly. Here is the initial list of obvious items:

1. Rear brake hose incorrectly routed at handlebar.
2. Front derailleur at a skewed angle which means that there is no way that the Di2 and shifting were ever setup.
3. Front brake had a bent piece of thin cardboard instead of the plastic protector. This cardboard allowed the lever to be squeezed during packing causing the pistons to overextend.
4. No Di2 charging cable in the box. Also, no manuals or anything else for that matter. Only the bike.

The good news is that the local shop can easily fix it by just doing a proper new bike setup. The bad news is that it's going to be a week as they are booked out that far right now. Of course, I feel that the original shop should pay for that since they didn't deliver what they promised but I know they will just try to weasel out of it anyway. It's not worth pursuing from a legal standpoint so there goes another $100 or so to get the bike moving. I have sent them an email explaining what went wrong with the transaction and told them that I am very disappointed and that while having the manuals and what not would be nice, I absolutely have to have the charging cable as that is an included part of the Di2 system. I said that they obviously have it laying around their shop somewhere and that I expect them to send it to me ASAP. We will see what they have to say.

So, no pic until next week but at least I have the bike along with some major disappointment. As their own employee said, "That's the reality of online purchasing"! Lesson learned. I will certainly never do business with them again and I'm going to leave a nasty review once this is all over.
Old 08-05-22, 09:51 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
He then told me that they NEVER suggest that anyone try to put the bike together themselves and to only take it to competent mechanic. I replied that that's not what I was told, that it's not what they company advertises and that they have assembly videos for folks who get a bike shipped to them. After voicing my displeasure, he then told me, "That's just the reality of online purchasing".
Sounds like a horrible experience. Who is 'they' though? I assume not direct from the BMC US website.
Old 08-05-22, 11:44 AM
Caliwild

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Sounds like a horrible experience. Who is 'they' though? I assume not direct from the BMC US website.
Jeez... that's horrible! Yeah, I would let everyone here know so that we don't ever use that shop... Just ridiculously incompetent...
Old 08-05-22, 12:19 PM
TennBent

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Jeez... that's horrible! Yeah, I would let everyone here know so that we don't ever use that shop... Just ridiculously incompetent...
Okay. To satisfy people's curiosity, it is Erik's Bike Shop based in Minneapolis. Funny how the guy told me that they never suggest that anyone try to reassemble the bike and yet, here is the copied and pasted text from their website page titled, "How to Reassemble Your New Bike":

Thanks for purchasing your new bike online from ERIK’S! Once you’ve received your bike securely packaged in a bike box, you will need to do a few minor reassembly steps to get it ready to ride. Please read our instructions carefully before reassembling your bike. Also, watch the Bike Reassembly video below which walks you through the reassembly process.

Before your new bike was shipped to you, it was fully built by our professional assembly team who then carefully re-boxed the bike for shipping. The following instructions are intended to help you reassemble your bike. If you don’t feel confident with performing these steps, we recommend that you have your bike reassembled by a qualified local bicycle mechanic.

Well, that didn't go exactly as planned. No setup and missing items. My biggest hope right now is that they send me the charging cable. The mechanic told me yesterday that those cables are difficult to come by and are priced well over $100! As of right now, I still haven't heard a peep from them.

Caliwild: the bike really is pretty. I just wish it wasn't sitting in the shop. The mechanic told me the same things as you did - that once they get it running, I am going to love it. He said that BMCs have a great feel to them and ride really well. He also mentioned that everyone at the shop got to try a demo bike the Shimano rep had brought by after the new Di2 came out. He echoed that the new system is definitely better than the previous. I am truly looking forward to it and putting my frustration behind me.

Last edited by TennBent; 08-06-22 at 05:05 AM.
Likes For TennBent:
Old 08-12-22, 07:29 AM
TennBent

You're definitely going to love it... Glad I could help. Post pics when you get the bike!

Okay, let's try this again. I got the bike back from the shop yesterday and everything is as it should be. In addition to the other problems with the bike, they found that the rear derailleur hanger was also bent a bit. They straightened it out without incident. I feel that it happened because the bike was shipped with the chain in the big/big combo, putting a lot of stress on the rear mech. Add in FedEx tossing the box around and it was just asking for trouble.

Erik's bike shop emailed me earlier this week and said that they had shipped the Di2 charging cable and the manuals. I'm expecting them today or tomorrow.

I'll probably try it out around the neighborhood today and get a proper maiden voyage in this weekend.

Anyway, it was a quick and dirty photo yesterday but here is the proof that I finally have the bike.

Likes For TennBent:
Old 08-12-22, 07:49 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Nice looking bike, that BMC. Sweet. Looks like a very steep seat tube, my hands would divorce me if a STA like that.
Old 08-12-22, 09:17 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Thanks for the heads up... I may wait for that... The new Cannondale Synapse looks good too, although I'm not too sure about all the integrated varia and lights. They'd be nice but what happens in the future when there is no parts availability?

https://www.cannondale.com/en-us/bik...e-carbon-2-rle
Current Synapse is GRX 11 spd.
Old 08-12-22, 10:46 AM
NumbersGuy

Bikes: Fairlight Strael 3.0 Ultegra Di2

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Current Synapse is GRX 11 spd.
Actually, the current Synapse, and specifically the one in the link you responded to has the new Ultegra 12 speed. They do offer a model with GRX but that isn't really relevant to this conversation. They also offer Dura Ace 12 speed, 105 and Tiagra on the Synapse carbon models.
Old 08-12-22, 11:44 AM
Caliwild

Very nice TennBent ! Glad it got sorted out... I'm picking up mine today (had to upgrade the wheels and tires). Will post when I take some pics... Enjoy the heck out of it!
Likes For Caliwild:
Old 08-12-22, 12:07 PM
Fendertele

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 28 Posts
Good looking bike. Enjoy.
Old 08-12-22, 12:19 PM
DaveSSS 

The geometry is certainly different than other brands. 74.2 degree STA across the board and only 15mm of setback on the only seatpost that will fit. I'd ride the 47 or 51. I've always used 25-32mm of setback.

https://www.bmc-switzerland.com
​​​
Old 08-12-22, 12:30 PM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 152 Posts
Okay. To satisfy people's curiosity, it is Erik's Bike Shop based in Minneapolis. Funny how the guy told me that they never suggest that anyone try to reassemble the bike and yet, here is the copied and pasted text from their website page titled, "How to Reassemble Your New Bike":

Thanks for purchasing your new bike online from ERIK’S! Once you’ve received your bike securely packaged in a bike box, you will need to do a few minor reassembly steps to get it ready to ride. Please read our instructions carefully before reassembling your bike. Also, watch the Bike Reassembly video below which walks you through the reassembly process.

Before your new bike was shipped to you, it was fully built by our professional assembly team who then carefully re-boxed the bike for shipping. The following instructions are intended to help you reassemble your bike. If you don’t feel confident with performing these steps, we recommend that you have your bike reassembled by a qualified local bicycle mechanic.
Well, that didn't go exactly as planned. No setup and missing items. My biggest hope right now is that they send me the charging cable. The mechanic told me yesterday that those cables are difficult to come by and are priced well over $100! As of right now, I still haven't heard a peep from them. Caliwild: the bike really is pretty. I just wish it wasn't sitting in the shop. The mechanic told me the same things as you did - that once they get it running, I am going to love it. He said that BMCs have a great feel to them and ride really well. He also mentioned that everyone at the shop got to try a demo bike the Shimano rep had brought by after the new Di2 came out. He echoed that the new system is definitely better than the previous. I am truly looking forward to it and putting my frustration behind me.
Erik's is a a big bike shop chain, one of the largest in the upper Midwest with 30 or so stores. But I've found that their stores vary considerably in quality of mechanics and sales people. Most likely the shop that assembled and shipped the bike is different than the location that accepted the order. I don't deal with Erik's a lot - they are the local Specialized dealer and I haven't ridden a Specialized since I rid of my Stumpjumper eons ago -but I will say that Erik's is very customer focused and usually try to make things right for the customer. I would contact them and let them know it didn't meet your expectations. Tell them what your LBS found, even better if you have a receipt or a shop order that lists it out send it to them. My guess is they will make it right.
Old 08-12-22, 02:20 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Originally Posted by NumbersGuy
Actually, the current Synapse, and specifically the one in the link you responded to has the new Ultegra 12 speed. They do offer a model with GRX but that isn't really relevant to this conversation. They also offer Dura Ace 12 speed, 105 and Tiagra on the Synapse carbon models.
Yes it does, thank you for the correction. Thats a nice price for that bike.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.