Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Is buschmuller.com legit or a scam phishing site?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-22, 04:13 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 440 Posts

It's selling B&M lights at a faction of the regular price. When it's too good to be true, it probably is. Has anyone bought from here before?
Old 07-08-22, 06:05 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4350 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,663 Posts
To quote myself (with a minor correction for spelling) in another recent thread about another fake website:
"As I say every single time people post these silly posts if you had to ask you should already know the answer. NO NO NO AND NO! If you have to question a website for legitimacy and are already considering it a possible scam even if for some reason it might not be you wouldn't want to shop there. Go down to your local shop not only are they real you can talk with them live and in person while looking at their faces and you can figure out if it is the right place for you and if you have issues you can go back and get help from them."

It is a decent looking scam website I guess so you could give them points for that but I would bet $1000 it is fake. (I am not greedy but could use the $1000 now for a non-bike project)
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 07-08-22, 06:15 PM
SilverRubicon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
Site was registered in May 2022. It's registered in Denver which is unique as these things are usually registered in China. I agree with the previous post, there's probably a good reason why you're asking "is it legit". Trust your instincts.

https://who.is/whois/buschmuller.com
Likes For SilverRubicon:
Old 07-08-22, 09:05 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Here is what you get on Google Maps when you look up their address. I then looked up Marshalls' address and got the same.

Old 07-08-22, 09:11 PM
phughes

The only legit US sales agent is Peter White. That is not to say there are not bike shops legitimately selling the products, but there is not a company store in Kansas.

Last edited by phughes; 07-08-22 at 09:43 PM.
Likes For phughes:
Old 07-08-22, 09:48 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by phughes
Here is what you get on Google Maps when you look up their address. I then looked up Marshalls' address and got the same.

So you are saying this "Marshalls" is a front for bicycle lighting?
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 07-08-22, 11:21 PM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 523 Times in 291 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
So you are saying this "Marshalls" is a front for bicycle lighting?
I'm guessing you go up to the jewelry counter and say the secret phrase. They'll then walk you to the closed blue door, knock the special code and let you in.
Likes For mtnbud:
Old 07-09-22, 07:28 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
I used to assume that a website is a scam if their "about us" page or "contact us" page lacked a mailing address. But over a decade ago it became pretty clear that a lot of valid internet sellers were not providing that info, thus it was not a very good indicator of scams. I no longer use that.

I have bought B&M lights from a local store, they bought them from Peter White. It is my understanding that Peter is the exclusive USA distributor for B&M, thus USA retailers buy from him. In my case, I had to show the specific item I wanted to on the Peter White website to the retailer to order, it was an item they did not stock. That local retailer paid for the shipping cost out of their markup, thus I got it for less from the local retailer than if I had ordered it from Peter White directly.

I have also bought B&M lights and mounts from two German internet sellers (bike24.com and starbike.com) and one in France or Spain (bikeinn.com). They are legit.

Right now, the US Dollar has been climbing fast against the Euro, so at this time you might get unusually good deals by ordering from Europe. I have nothing against Peter White, but I have saved a lot by buying from Europe. The USD has not been this strong against the Euro for almost two decades.

This is the website I use to convert foreign currencies:
https://www.reuters.com/markets/currencies/

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 07-09-22 at 07:35 AM.
Old 07-09-22, 11:44 AM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Wayne's Touring Store used to sell B&M lights. Sadly, he is no longer in business.
Likes For Doug64:
Old 07-09-22, 06:34 PM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
I bought from bike24.com
Old 07-09-22, 06:56 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by Doug64
Wayne's Touring Store used to sell B&M lights. Sadly, he is no longer in business.
But not liking that Wayne is out of business. He was a super nice fellow and really helpful.

Peter White is awesome as well, his whole family is super friendly and easy to work with. Definitely the way to go if you are looking for B+M lights or any other sort of odd part. I would much rather give him my money knowing he isn't going to waste it on his website and when I call there is a good chance I am talking with him. Super old school in the best way possible.
Old 07-09-22, 08:03 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
But not liking that Wayne is out of business. He was a super nice fellow and really helpful.
Indeed. I spoke with him on the phone a couple of times re: the Ortliebs I bought from him. He retired to enjoy life, including touring.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-09-22, 11:29 PM
phughes

Originally Posted by Doug64
Yes, that is where I bought my rear B&M light. Wayne was great to deal with. https://www.campfirecycling.com took over for him.

Last edited by phughes; 07-09-22 at 11:33 PM.
Old 07-10-22, 07:27 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 828 Posts
Run this test on them and let me know how they fare.

The question comes up often as more and more scam sites are created. Here's a test that you can apply. I don't do business if they raise any red flags.

Phone Number: Is there a phone number prominently displayed on their home page. Red Flag if there is not.

Address: Do they have a physical address posted? If not Red Flag. If they do have an address, what does it look like on Google street view or satellite map? Red Flag if it doesn't look like a business.

Inventory: Do they have a lot of hard to find stuff or too good to be true pricing? Red Flag if they do.

Business History: When you Google the business name with the words review and complaint, what do you find? Little footprint or a lot of negative reviews or BBB complaints is a red flag.

Payment Method: Crypto, Venmo, Pay Pal friends and family only? Red Flag.

Site Language: Do you notice language errors or irregularities? Red Flag if there are errors and oddities.
Old 07-10-22, 03:31 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4255 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 940 Posts
Their About Us page says:

We have an entire team based in our corporate office in Montgomery, Alabama

They list their address as

ADDRESS

1000 Westloop Pl
Manhattan KS US

Seems odd to me.
Old 07-10-22, 06:02 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Try to start an order. I bet they only take PayPal and say shipping by USPS is insured. The latest scam is to hijack and mix the USPS tracking I. Your area so it looks like it was delivered and then PayPal won’t grab the money back. Now PayPal is in on the scam. This is per the the USPS.
Old 07-10-22, 08:11 PM
phughes

People, this has already been determined to be a fake site. For those talking about the address, I already looked up the address, and posted pictures of said address. It's a Marshalls. B&S does not have brick and mortar stores, they have retailers who stock their lights, but they have no company owned stores, anywhere, especially not in a strip mall in Manhattan, Kansas.
Likes For phughes: