Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Gravel Newbie - forgive my elementary 105 vs GRX question

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 07-19-22, 06:44 PM
Plainsman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 30 Posts

Just started riding gravel, and just completed my first event. My alloy gravel bike has 105 shifters (R7000) and brake calipers. I have the opportunity to swap out the shifters to GRX 600 and the calipers to GRX 400. My question being, all things being equal (cost / availability) is it worth doing? Not sure there is any difference between the GRX 400 and R7000 series calipers. The GRX 600 shift levers appear to be flatter and not as slick as the 105. Does that translate into true better performance/handling? I also read that the pull on the GRX 600 is slightly different than the 105, but not sure how so. If cost were not a part of the equation, would there be any appreciable benefit to going GRX? or mix an match - GRX levers with 105 calipers? Thanks! Glad I found this sub-forum! (I did try the search function, so my apologies if I missed where this was previously asked and answered).
Old 07-19-22, 08:17 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
Originally Posted by Plainsman
Just started riding gravel, and just completed my first event. My alloy gravel bike has 105 shifters (R7000) and brake calipers. I have the opportunity to swap out the shifters to GRX 600 and the calipers to GRX 400. My question being, all things being equal (cost / availability) is it worth doing? Not sure there is any difference between the GRX 400 and R7000 series calipers. The GRX 600 shift levers appear to be flatter and not as slick as the 105. Does that translate into true better performance/handling? I also read that the pull on the GRX 600 is slightly different than the 105, but not sure how so. If cost were not a part of the equation, would there be any appreciable benefit to going GRX? or mix an match - GRX levers with 105 calipers? Thanks! Glad I found this sub-forum! (I did try the search function, so my apologies if I missed where this was previously asked and answered).
Seems not worth the trouble to me. Not really much of an upgrade.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 07-19-22, 09:42 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Of you like the look or design of grx levers more than your 105 levers and it's enough to want to switch then switch.
If your 105 levers are comfortable, then dont switch.

To me, you are looking at a very lateral move. And if anything, the calipers are a step down since 400 is equal to Tiagra. But really it's overall the same quality/usability.

I use 105 levers and disc calipers on my gravel bike, so there is some bias perhaps. I have yet to think that either is lacking in any way.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 07-21-22, 08:51 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
I'm 99% sure that R7000 hydro brake calipers and GRX400 brake calipers are the exact same part with (slightly) different paint jobs. If there is any difference here, it's trivial.

The difference between GRX600 levers and 105 levers is mostly the grippy coating on the lever itself. There may be some minor differences in hood shape. The grippy levers are nice, but the finish is peeling off of my GRX levers after 2 years.

I've owned both 105 and GRX 600 and from a performance perspective they are indistinguishable. I see zero benefit from making this change unless you really like the grippy shifter texture and enjoy tinkering (and cost is really not a factor).
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 07-21-22, 08:57 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2222 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 1,779 Posts
The GRX levers supposedly offer improved ergonomics. I can tell they are different, but if it is an improvement, it is very incremental. Save your money for a super-bike if you really get into it. Meanwhile, don't buy upgrades, ride up grades. (If only I could follow that advice.)
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 07-21-22, 10:10 AM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
shiamno grx 810 would be an upgrade. the 810 series has servo wave.
Is it worth the cost is up to you. I have two gravel bikes. Giant revolt adv 2 and Ibis MX. The Ibis has the 810 with servo wave. It seems I can modulate the brakes just little better on descents on lose gravel. 99.9% of the time I notice zero difference.

If don't need that little extra finesse/control while going down hill on loose surface you will not notice the difference. At least I don't

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/produ...T-RX810-L.html
https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/techn...ve-action.html
When you pull a SERVOWAVE brake lever, initial pad travel is fast, so little lever movement is needed to bring the pads into contact with the rotor. The power multiplication factor then increases rapidly at the pad-to-rim contact so more of the lever stroke is used to apply greater braking power with improved control.
Old 07-21-22, 06:41 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy
shiamno grx 810 would be an upgrade. the 810 series has servo wave.
Is it worth the cost is up to you. I have two gravel bikes. Giant revolt adv 2 and Ibis MX. The Ibis has the 810 with servo wave. It seems I can modulate the brakes just little better on descents on lose gravel. 99.9% of the time I notice zero difference.

If don't need that little extra finesse/control while going down hill on loose surface you will not notice the difference. At least I don't
I definitely notice the difference. My gravel bike has 810 and it is my primary ride. I do take my road bike out a few days a week and it currently has 105 11spd. No servowave means the pads are closer to the rotor so it's more likely to rub after long hard descents, the power is much deeper into the lever pull, and as you say less modulation.

I've ordered the new 12 spd Dura Ace for my road bike, but who knows when it will come in. The newer 12 spd Shimano groups have the improved servowave which should be even better. I almost feel like just ordering some 11spd Ultegra shifters and calipers temporarily until the DA comes in, but I know that's a little silly.
Old 07-22-22, 10:52 AM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by KJ43
I definitely notice the difference. My gravel bike has 810 and it is my primary ride.
That makes me a feel a lot better for the trouble and cost I went to convert my Ibis MX to 2x. It's pretty easy and cheap to get a 400 or 600 grx left shifter but it's expensive and very difficult to get grx 810 left shifter. Since the right was grx 810 from the factory I wanted the left to match. Most places only sell a left grx 810 brake only or left grx 810 brake/dropper post combo.
Old 07-22-22, 11:20 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,045 Times in 1,170 Posts
Nothing wrong with 105 on a gravel. My 2019 Topstone came with it, they did do a 30/46 FSA crank, which when combined with the 11-34 is enough low gearing for my needs. The shifters and brakes work perfectly fine. C-Dale moved to GRX for its more recent models mostly as it became available and allowed a Shimano crank , which for some strange reason the didnt use, sticking with FSA on the Topstone 1. Cost likely.

I wouldnt bother changing your stuff out, not worth the effort or cost.
Old 07-23-22, 07:34 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
I know this was not on your list, but it should be; get the GRX rear derailleur though. That is a big improvement in chain management on rougher roads! I do prefer the overall feel of the GRX levers in my hand.
Likes For dwmckee:
Old 07-24-22, 09:19 PM
Plainsman

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
I know this was not on your list, but it should be; get the GRX rear derailleur though. That is a big improvement in chain management on rougher roads! I do prefer the overall feel of the GRX levers in my hand.
Thanks! I’m actually already running the Ultegra RX derailleur.