Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

fastest way to stop w/out brakes?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

fastest way to stop w/out brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-10, 09:29 AM
PedallingATX
Comanche Racing

Bikes: Presto NJS build, Specialized Allez Pro w/ full Dura Ace and Ksyrium SLs, 1990something Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm...I try not to skid b/c I use expensive tires. Most the time, I just "back pedal" and slow myself down.

Now, when I DO find myself in an emergency situation (when I'm going fast and need to stop quickly), I usually do the following:

1. Start skidding while keeping as much weight over the rear wheel as possible

2. Look for an escape route (driveway, sidewalk ramp, empty lane of traffic, whatever)

3. Pursue that escape route.

Honestly, there is no way to stop a brakeless FG bike QUICKLY. Your best bet is to just buy yourself a little bit of extra time by back pedaling or skidding and then figure out how to dodge the situation. You shouldn't have to do this very often if you're a cautious rider, but I've definitely used sidewalks and driveways as "runaway fixie ramps" a few times...
Old 08-27-10, 10:07 AM
polobreaka

Bikes: Leader 722ts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
agree with what is mentioned above.

honestly, the quickest way to slow down/brake is your own judgment and common sense. if you know you will be in a situation where you may be put in danger, be cautious about it. there is no need to be reckless. even sometimes with a brake, you cannot avoid a situation where you could stop at a dime. as long as you're scan your surroundings and anticipate what could happen, you will be fine. never bomb hills when you know there are blind intersections.

from riding a motorcycle for 8 years, ive never been in a spill (knock on wood). i respect the road and be alert to your surroundings. thats all i have to say.
Old 08-27-10, 10:14 AM
John Montgomery

Bikes: Raleigh One Way, Specialized Hard Rock, Schwinn Continental

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 08-27-10, 10:27 AM
vw addict

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, Cannondale R700, Specialized Langster, Iron Horse Hollowpoint Team, Schwinn Homegrown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
anchor
Old 08-27-10, 10:49 AM
illdthedj

Bikes: klein quantum, litespeed tuscany, bianchi pista concept, centurion comp ta, centurion super le mans, traitor ringleader

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
being that this is the fixed gear forum, ive always been surprised at the lack of fixster-jock "if its fixed, dont brake it" mentality. kudos people.

i havn't encountered this yet, but if someone gives me sh!!t for having a brake, id probably say something along the lines of "id rather be uncool than a conformist moron."

also, the few times i have encountered the "brakes are lame" mentality on the internet was from hipster-brahz age 17 and younger.
Old 08-27-10, 11:01 AM
NateRod

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PedallingATX
Hmm...I try not to skid b/c I use expensive tires. Most the time, I just "back pedal" and slow myself down.

Now, when I DO find myself in an emergency situation (when I'm going fast and need to stop quickly), I usually do the following:

2. Look for an escape route (driveway, sidewalk ramp, empty lane of traffic, whatever)

Honestly, there is no way to stop a brakeless FG bike QUICKLY. Your best bet is to just buy yourself a little bit of extra time by back pedaling or skidding and then figure out how to dodge the situation. You shouldn't have to do this very often if you're a cautious rider, but I've definitely used sidewalks and driveways as "runaway fixie ramps" a few times...
this
Old 08-27-10, 11:01 AM
ss66

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ya, use a brake and practice! Or don't and have a friend follow you with a video camera and post video of inevitable collision on here for our amusement!!
Old 08-27-10, 11:23 AM
ianjk
:)

Bikes: '07 Pista, '09 Fantom Cross Uno, '8? Miyata, '67 Stingray, '0? Zoo mod trials, Tallbike, Chopper, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '67 Triumph Chopper, '69 CB350, '58 BSA Spitfire, '73 CB450

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Going down provides much more friction than a skid, thus shorter stopping distance.

You need to lock up the wheel and whip it to the side to go down gracefully.

Try to keep your hands on the bar tops (not in drops) and keep feel clipped in to avoid entanglement. Your hip will take a bit of a blow, while it may look lame, you will still have the street cred of not having a brake which makes up for it tenfold.

Example:

Old 08-27-10, 11:36 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Spire
Every cyclist should really know how to stop their bike without brakes (just in case they fail). e.g. using their shoe against the wheel.
You have to try this when you are running fenders... almost all my bikes have them and because of that I go nuts and usually install two brakes.

I am such a rebel.
Old 08-27-10, 11:36 AM
Kotts
Recreational Commuter

Bikes: One brand-less build-up, and a Connondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra Disc. A nicer bike than I need, but it was a good deal, so... ;-)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Fatest way to stop without brakes?

Run into something solid.
Old 08-27-10, 11:41 AM
Cglenny
I go I go I go I go I go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ride really slowly. Like 1 or two mph. Then it's easy to stop super quick!

Also, I was just watching Tom and Jerry. If you can somehow learn the techniques Tom has mastered of zooming toward a sharp broken bottle or falling on a needle and then stopping in mid air just a half inch above, you could probably apply that to bicycle riding. You may need to turn into a cartoon though. Watch Who Framed Roger Rabbit for more instruction on that.
Old 08-27-10, 11:43 AM
Quixotegut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fastest way: don't start.

Actually, if you don't care about losing you bike, you can do the rear-jump dismount and let the bike go on.

You could try the wheelie/flip-out, too.
Old 08-27-10, 11:47 AM
ss66

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome vid! I wonder if he got run over?!?!

Originally Posted by ianjk
Going down provides much more friction than a skid, thus shorter stopping distance.

You need to lock up the wheel and whip it to the side to go down gracefully.

Try to keep your hands on the bar tops (not in drops) and keep feel clipped in to avoid entanglement. Your hip will take a bit of a blow, while it may look lame, you will still have the street cred of not having a brake which makes up for it tenfold.

Example:

Old 08-27-10, 12:33 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4233 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,807 Posts
When I was a kid and didn't know how to stop my bike, I'd just manuever near something soft-ish (like say brown grass killed by the august sun cushioning over baked clay dirt) and jump off sideways hoping to land on my feet and let my bike stop on its own. Maybe it's a technique you can practice.
Old 08-27-10, 12:51 PM
cab chaser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you need to ask this question you should either:

- Get a front brake.
- Slow it way down to gramdma speed.
- Accept the inevitable darwin award.

Sure, you can backpedal like hell while putting as much weight on the rear tire and not skidding, but that takes plenty of skill and will probably compromise your ability maneuver (which I find to be just as important as your ability to stop in situations that require evasive maneuvering). Once you are skidding I don't think putting more weight on the rear tire will significantly assist braking ... skidding is just a really slow way to stop.
Old 08-27-10, 01:06 PM
ianjk
:)

Bikes: '07 Pista, '09 Fantom Cross Uno, '8? Miyata, '67 Stingray, '0? Zoo mod trials, Tallbike, Chopper, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '67 Triumph Chopper, '69 CB350, '58 BSA Spitfire, '73 CB450

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ss66
Awesome vid! I wonder if he got run over?!?!
Or more importantly, did the aerospoke survive?

Joking aside, the video does illustrate (kinda) a good reason to have mechanical brake(s). Wet pavement (or even worse, brick) + skid stops = much longer stopping distance. Plus trying to control a brakeless emergency stop in slippery conditions is much, much harder than on a nice dry road.

Also, don't try to be a tarckstar in traffic.
Old 08-27-10, 01:18 PM
Dr. Banzai
Oscillation overthruster

Bikes: Cinelli Mash / CAAD9 5

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Grow a large set of motherfornicating quads and skipskid while sitting down. Skidding is not the best way brakes or not. Hence modern ABS usage on cars.

If you can slow both wheels down with about %10 lock you stop as fast as possible. The little bit of lock generates heat that helps. honestly on a bike with no brakes this is done by sitting down and LOCKING your legs as hard as you can but not getting into a full skid.

So, now got put a brake on your bike. Yes, I am a hypocrite since my bike runs with no brakes. But as of this week it has been relegated to mostly track now. My street riding will be on a road bike. I like breathing and I prefer my teeth inside my mouth. Yes, once in a while my new track bike will go on the street on rides with the wife. I like a little bit of brakeless 5mph cruising on the MUP. At 5kph you can stop freakishly fast compared to even 10 kph. see why school zones are 30kph?

So, now got put a brake on your bike.
Old 08-27-10, 01:47 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
i prefer air brakes
Old 08-27-10, 01:48 PM
Dr. Banzai
Oscillation overthruster

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wear a bigger jersey.
Old 08-27-10, 02:10 PM
PedallingATX
Comanche Racing

Bikes: Presto NJS build, Specialized Allez Pro w/ full Dura Ace and Ksyrium SLs, 1990something Specialized Sirrus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. Banzai
Grow a large set of motherfornicating quads and skipskid while sitting down. Skidding is not the best way brakes or not. Hence modern ABS usage on cars.

If you can slow both wheels down with about %10 lock you stop as fast as possible. The little bit of lock generates heat that helps. honestly on a bike with no brakes this is done by sitting down and LOCKING your legs as hard as you can but not getting into a full skid.

So, now got put a brake on your bike. Yes, I am a hypocrite since my bike runs with no brakes. But as of this week it has been relegated to mostly track now. My street riding will be on a road bike. I like breathing and I prefer my teeth inside my mouth. Yes, once in a while my new track bike will go on the street on rides with the wife. I like a little bit of brakeless 5mph cruising on the MUP. At 5kph you can stop freakishly fast compared to even 10 kph. see why school zones are 30kph?

So, now got put a brake on your bike.
I think riding a bike that slowly requires more of a conscious effort than to just cruise along at like 15-18mph
Old 08-27-10, 02:12 PM
Dr. Banzai
Oscillation overthruster

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not for me. I can fall asleep at 10kph.
Old 08-27-10, 03:01 PM
Shortsocks
The road less Taken

Bikes: Litespeed, bianchi pista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PedallingATX

ATX is correct. Always be aware of your surroundings. Even if you know you're line and/or route like the back of your masturbating hand, still be cautious. When in a place that is new to you. Go slower and become more alert.

There is nothing wrong with going slower if you feel something in the back of your head....
Go with your gut. Always have a plan B emergency route.

Socks
Old 08-27-10, 03:19 PM
LupinIII

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you guys seem to forget that brakes are for fakes

OP has it right, run brakeless and **** da police. also, the question is rhetorical because on a fixed gear you don't stop you just feel the zen and flow with traffic.
Old 08-27-10, 04:01 PM
arp415
what? NO!

Bikes: 1988 Bridgestone RB-2 converted to ss

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best way: Jump up off the seat, land behind the bike and hold onto the seat while doing some asphalt skiing. You can add sparklers for added style points. Trust me, this is safe and practical. Or you could just get a brake or three (front, rear, and umbrella for jamming wheel).
Old 08-27-10, 04:07 PM
plowmanjoe

Bikes: 09' Cinelli Vigorelli, 95' trek 950

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by LupinIII
you guys seem to forget that brakes are for fakes

OP has it right, run brakeless and **** da police. also, the question is rhetorical because on a fixed gear you don't stop you just feel the zen and flow with traffic.
+1 brother

worthless thread. you only stop once. when you get to your destination.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.