Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Face masks affect endurance?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Face masks affect endurance?

Old 08-04-20, 08:57 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 411 Posts
Originally Posted by RiceAWay View Post
It is dangerous to wear a mask while riding. It causes your blood CO2 levels to rise dramatically and aside from carbon dioxide poisoning it can trigger all sorts of side effects that can become fatal. So many new riders are doing this that we are bound to see this showing up pretty rapidly.
Just for the record, this is scientifically inaccurate in pretty much every way. It is factually incorrect.

Thanks for playing, though.
Likes For Notso_fastLane:
Old 08-04-20, 09:01 AM
rydabent

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 2454 Post(s)
Liked 732 Times in 433 Posts
Again why would you wear one out in the fresh air and sun shine???
Old 08-04-20, 10:29 AM
Kittyklaw789

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think no
Old 08-04-20, 10:44 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 317 Posts
I wear a mask when cycling in Chicago. I use either a washable/reusable fabric face covering, or a fabric buff (I like the USA Cycling one that they sent me).
I've rode pretty hard with the mask on and never noticed that it made breathing more difficult. The only downside is that my face gets hot.

I don't really see what the big deal is. I wear similar masks/buffs/neck gators when cycling and skiing in the winter as well, and have never found it difficult to breathe in those conditions either.
Old 08-04-20, 10:47 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 962 Post(s)
Liked 760 Times in 444 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
Again why would you wear one out in the fresh air and sun shine???
No reason, if you are the solitary resident of a remote island.
Old 08-04-20, 10:47 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 962 Post(s)
Liked 760 Times in 444 Posts
Originally Posted by Kittyklaw789 View Post
I think no
Every waking moment?
Old 08-05-20, 04:16 AM
Illgot

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels View Post
The city where I live, face masks are compulsary, even for cyclists. Cops or soldiers will pull you over if they caught you without a mask or improperly worn masks (like exposing your mouth or nose) and ask for a steep fine or some other disciplinary measure (even possibly impound your bike).

I wear a head buff instead which is like a scarf/bandana. Fortunately, that thing is permitted and better to breathe on than clinical facemasks. But still not as good as wearing nothing on your face.

How bad is it for our endurance?
I found more rigid masks are easier to breath through as they don't get stuck to your mouth while heavily breathing. My cloth one is pretty much stuck to my lips and I have to breathe with pursed lips just to get enough air through. I found I had to do the same pursed lips when I used my buff.
Any mask you wear will take time to adjust to but if you have normal breathing capabilities and slow down a little you'll adjust fine.

Edit: should note all masks tend to pinch my nose shut while biking (flatter Asian nose).

Last edited by Illgot; 08-05-20 at 04:22 AM.
Old 08-05-20, 04:38 AM
Illgot

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
Don't even start on that "it's all theoretical" BS. I worked in health care and for OSHA for years. This stuff isn't guesswork. It's the product of methodical research. There are multiple organizations that have researched respiratory protection for the medical field, for other occupational hazards and other specialty uses.

Google how masks are tested. It's methodical and the international standards are peer reviewed by scientists. It isn't necessary to "test on humans" to demonstrate the efficacy of various masks. And, as a matter of fact, in normal conditions respirators are tested individually on each person who is required to wear one for work. That's how we know they work. The N95 is a gray area between a respirator and surgical or dust mask, so the usual fit and testing procedures don't readily apply.

And "viral transmission stereotypes" is just nonsensical word salad. It means nothing.

I usually try to refrain from chastising people for well meaning but misguided advice during a pandemic that is stressful for everyone. But enough is enough with this idiotic anti-science propaganda. Educate yourself before spouting off nonsense.

If you don't want to wear a mask, just say so. But don't make up BS.
But masks make you breathe in the co2 you just exhaled and people pass out all the time! /s

You can't convince certain people with scientific evidence. They refuse to believe anything that goes against their "feelings".
Likes For Illgot:
Old 08-05-20, 05:45 AM
RH Clark

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 80 Posts
I still have the freedom to not wear one. Please know I didn't kill anyone. I was just trying to have me some fun.
Old 08-05-20, 06:58 AM
ph0rk

Bikes: A hauler, a commuter, and a steamroller.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels View Post
How bad is it for our endurance?
If the mask is doing its job, not much worse than riding in hot weather.

Just wear them.
Likes For ph0rk:
Old 08-05-20, 11:13 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 832 Posts
Originally Posted by RH Clark View Post
I still have the freedom to not wear one. Please know I didn't kill anyone. I was just trying to have me some fun.
Others wont see your 'Illegal Smile' if you wear one .. (though for deaf friends, lip-readers, there are some with a clear window patch..)
Old 08-05-20, 12:29 PM
Climb14er
Jazz Aficionado

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
There is absolutely no way I will wear a mask, outside, walking, cycling, climbing the peaks... away from people! I need to breathe, have exercise induced asthma, use albuterol. I have trouble enough wearing a large, full coverage bandana, while going to the food stores. I love to exercise outside. Already foregoing spin classes indoors. Outside, it's all about... BREATHING... and staying away from people.
Old 08-06-20, 09:50 AM
Kabuki12

Bikes: 71 Stella,72 Mondia Special,72 ItalVega Grand Rallye, 73 Windsor Pro,75 Colnago Super,76 Kabuki DF,77 Raleigh Comp.GS,78 Raleigh Pro,80 Moto Gran Sprint,82 Medici Pro Strada

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 624 Times in 418 Posts
I don't wear a mask when I am cycling. I keep one in my jersey in case I have to stop or accidentally end up in a crowded area. I stay away from MUP's and any bike paths that do not allow some sort of alternate path to avoid others. I follow a 10meter rule when riding and now I have been known to "salmon"( ride the opposite direction of traffic) to go around a slower rider if need be. I have not yet been passed by a group of riders as they are popping back up in Southern California and I am constantly on the lookout for that. The last time I was passed by a group they left me no wiggle room whatsoever and there were about 10 riders in tight formation, but this was prior to the pandemic. I think if we all just do what we should, given the information that is available, then the #'s will come down. I think cycling or running or even walking is good and generally leads to a stronger immune system.