Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Best tubeless road bike tire?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Best tubeless road bike tire?

Old 10-09-20, 04:25 PM
Princess_Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by DOS
The Addix are narrower, but I have 25s mounted to Hed Belgium + rims so both inflate wider than 25mm due to the wide rim (21mm internal). The addix inflate to about 27mm while the older tires inflated to 29mm. On a standard width rim, I would expect addix to be close to tru to size.
I have "standard" 19mm internal width. I guess that means it should inflate true to size for me. My next set of wheels/bike will be 21mm internal to accommodate 28mm tires.
Old 10-09-20, 04:32 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 120 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
I generally hate all road tubeless but...

Pirelli P Zero Race TLR has been a super nice tire to work with. Long term reviews aren't in yet.

Always loved Michelin but I have been seeing quality issues lately.

Actually interested in the Goodyear offerings

GP5000 TL - I haven't been super happy with the 5000 in general. The tubeless seems "OK".

I hate Schwalbe and honestly think that while they did great at getting a useable tubeless road tire to market nearly the quickest the reason is because they just didn't care about the tire ride or feel all that much. There's a reason better tire companies waited.

Rob I am surprised at the Conti thoughts. I have been running Conti GP 4 II;s for past 2 years. I get at least 5000-6000 miles on mine and I just live south of you a century away. Today I change my front and had 6460 miles and was rear tire the first 1800. I put on a GP 5000 and I think they are actually better. Those conti's have been good to the deacon
Old 10-10-20, 04:53 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark
Rob I am surprised at the Conti thoughts. I have been running Conti GP 4 II;s for past 2 years. I get at least 5000-6000 miles on mine and I just live south of you a century away. Today I change my front and had 6460 miles and was rear tire the first 1800. I put on a GP 5000 and I think they are actually better. Those conti's have been good to the deacon
The change to 5000 is similar, in my opinion, to when Michelin changed from the pro2 to the pro3. The feel of the tire is much better but there seems to have been a lot of hit or miss with he casing and durability. Time will tell.

Everyone who I have sold 5000's to loves them....until they don't. I have had a couple come back and swap them out after too many flats/cuts/issues.

Old 10-14-20, 03:31 PM
Princess_Allez

Update: I spoke too soon about the old, Schwalbe Pro 1 MicroSkin tires. My front tire received a tiny slash that decompressed it. I was confused at first because I kept spining the tire looking for a puncture. No sign of sealant spray either
Old 10-14-20, 03:49 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by Princess_Allez
Update: I spoke too soon about the old, Schwalbe Pro 1 MicroSkin tires. My front tire received a tiny slash that decompressed it. I was confused at first because I kept spining the tire looking for a puncture. No sign of sealant spray either
Are you thinking that the sealant sprayed out without you noticing? Or that it was dried/used up before the cut and that there wasn't enough to effectively seal?
Old 10-14-20, 06:38 PM
DOS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Are you thinking that the sealant sprayed out without you noticing? Or that it was dried/used up before the cut and that there wasn't enough to effectively seal?
A slash without spray means sealant was dried or not enough put in in the first place. I have destroyed two schwalbe tires — one slashed by a rock the other punctured by a 2 inch screw, in each case leaving >1\4 inch hole too big to seal — both sprayed sealant all over the place.

Incidentally, both tires were near end of life, wear wise, and the punctures would have rendered just about every road tire, tubeless or clincher, unusable. In other words, these incidences were not the tire’s fault.
Old 10-14-20, 06:46 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by DOS
A slash without spray means sealant was dried or not enough put in in the first place.
This was my thought, but I didn't want to rule out an obliviousness because of... I don't know - he was too distracted hammering away at the time?
Old 10-14-20, 06:50 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
It's sooooo subjective...

Schwalbe Pro One.
Old 10-14-20, 07:48 PM
Princess_Allez

Originally Posted by DOS
A slash without spray means sealant was dried or not enough put in in the first place. I have destroyed two schwalbe tires — one slashed by a rock the other punctured by a 2 inch screw, in each case leaving >1\4 inch hole too big to seal — both sprayed sealant all over the place.

Incidentally, both tires were near end of life, wear wise, and the punctures would have rendered just about every road tire, tubeless or clincher, unusable. In other words, these incidences were not the tire’s fault.
As it turns out the sealant was not dried at all, nor was it lacking. The tire was mounted only 2-3 months ago. There was a puddle of sealant inside. The slash was very miniscule. One that you wouldn't believe would cause a loss in pressure. Either way, I have more Pro 1 back-ups, and when those run thru, I will give the One w/addix a try.
Old 10-14-20, 07:54 PM
WhyFi

As it turns out the sealant was not dried at all, nor was it lacking. The tire was mounted only 2-3 months ago. There was a puddle of sealant inside. The slash was very miniscule. One that you wouldn't believe would cause a loss in pressure. Either way, I have more Pro 1 back-ups, and when those run thru, I will give the One w/addix a try.
2-3 months is a long time. I'll go maybe four weeks during peak riding, six weeks otherwise. What sealant and was it still thick, like half & half? Because it can also go watery and ineffective.
Old 10-14-20, 08:12 PM
Princess_Allez

2-3 months is a long time. I'll go maybe four weeks during peak riding, six weeks otherwise. What sealant and was it still thick, like half & half? Because it can also go watery and ineffective.
Stans sealant. There was some dried residue, but the majority of it was still intact. I don't know how to explain the flat aside from that tiny slash. There was no other damage to the tire. It was very strange. I was doing a quick sprint (3-5 sec), then felt my front-end went soft. I backed off the sprint and wobbled home (1/4 mile). By the time I got home it was at 15-20psi. No sign of sealant, and no sign of puncture. I had to spin the wheel over 2-3x to even find the tiny slash.
Old 10-14-20, 09:19 PM
WhyFi

Stans sealant. There was some dried residue, but the majority of it was still intact. I don't know how to explain the flat aside from that tiny slash. There was no other damage to the tire. It was very strange. I was doing a quick sprint (3-5 sec), then felt my front-end went soft. I backed off the sprint and wobbled home (1/4 mile). By the time I got home it was at 15-20psi. No sign of sealant, and no sign of puncture. I had to spin the wheel over 2-3x to even find the tiny slash.
Ah. If it's a small cut, I'd keep the tire on, suck out all of the Stan's and put in some Orange Seal.
Old 10-15-20, 09:08 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
I have been running Schwalbe Pro One TLE Addix on my Colnago and have had zero issues. I just got a pair of Pro One TLE TT Addix yesterday that I will mount on my other bike and will let you all know how that goes. The TT's were a free "upgrade" because I had ordered a second set of regular Pro One TLE's that ended up being out of stock.
Old 10-15-20, 11:54 AM
Princess_Allez

Ah. If it's a small cut, I'd keep the tire on, suck out all of the Stan's and put in some Orange Seal.
it's strange that no sealant came out. It seemed to be a sudden loss in pressure; maybe that's why no sealant came out. The only scenario I can imagine, where that would happen is a sudden loss in pressure causing the bead to unseat just enough to lose the majority of pressure, but then why no sealant at the rim ...maybe the sprint caused the bead to unseat and that tiny slash is coincidental to the situation. Either way, I just tossed the tire and replaced it. I got them while they were 50-60% off, so no big loss.

I haven't tried the all-mighty gp5k or Vittorias yet because I'm afraid of this exact same situation happening, and instead of replacing a $25-35 tire I'm now replacing a $45-55 tire.
Old 10-15-20, 12:05 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
it's strange that no sealant came out. It seemed to be a sudden loss in pressure; maybe that's why no sealant came out. The only scenario I can imagine, where that would happen is a sudden loss in pressure causing the bead to unseat just enough to lose the majority of pressure, but then why no sealant at the rim ...maybe the sprint caused the bead to unseat and that tiny slash is coincidental to the situation. Either way, I just tossed the tire and replaced it. I got them while they were 50-60% off, so no big loss.

I haven't tried the all-mighty gp5k or Vittorias yet because I'm afraid of this exact same situation happening, and instead of replacing a $25-35 tire I'm now replacing a $45-55 tire.
I suspect your sealant was dried up.

Stan’s doesn’t work well on road tires.
Old 10-15-20, 12:10 PM
WhyFi

We can guess this and guess that, but one thing we know is that Stan's is a poor choice for road. Getting something more appropriate should be the first order of business.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 10-15-20, 12:20 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
You're getting great prices on GP5000's. Everyone is....except dealers.

Old 10-15-20, 04:20 PM
Princess_Allez

We can guess this and guess that, but one thing we know is that Stan's is a poor choice for road. Getting something more appropriate should be the first order of business.
I'll make the switch to Orange Seal as per your advice. Stan's did seem to work fine with my old Mavic Yksion pro tire; better than the Mavic sealant.
Old 10-15-20, 04:33 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 312 Posts
I don't have a lot of experience with road tubeless but thought I would put out there what I'm running: Panaracer Race A, evo 3 tubeless 25 mm tires. I got these on sale a while back from Excel Sports Boulder at a fair price ($45 each?). These represent my first foray into road tubeless and I have just over 300 miles on my set. But I feel like I have enough miles on them to make a few comparisons to the tubed clinchers that I am accustomed to. 1) grip: excellent, most likely equal or better than the very best clinchers. 2) ride quality: very good, different in a way than tubed tires because they feel stiff but not in a bad way. It is like the rear wheel is an idler wheel transferring power to the pavement, very tactile. 3) air retention: a work in progress. Not the tire's fault, more of an issue of how I did the tubeless tape with my DT Swiss R460 wheels and how I tried "universal" tubeless valves. Once I ran in the tubeless tape with a tube and switched to the correct DT Swiss road tubeless valve, the air retention has become excellent. Right now my front is losing about 20 psi over night (it still has the universal tubeless (cone type) valve) and the tubeless tape job where I didn't do my "double redundancy" by ensuring no microleaks in the tubeless tape by running tubes in them for a while. 4) flats: none yet after almost 400 miles.

so...why cannot speak to what is the “best” road tubeless tire, I would simply say that my experience thus far with the Panaracer tubeless is that it offers a lot of performance advantages for the price compared to the best tubed clinchers.

Last edited by masi61; 10-16-20 at 08:34 AM.
Old 10-15-20, 05:07 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Got the TLE TT’s mounted up. Went on by hand and sealed with a hand pump on Ksyrium Pro USTs in case anyone is interested.

Likes For jadocs:
Old 10-15-20, 06:42 PM
DOS

Surprised it didn’t seal. And a tiny slash on a relatively new tire should mean the tire is still usable.

Last edited by DOS; 10-15-20 at 06:48 PM.
Old 10-15-20, 06:44 PM
DOS

+1 on Orange seal
Old 10-18-20, 11:23 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,427 Times in 2,826 Posts
This site rates tons of tires by several factors, including tubeless. https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...&min=6&minpr=6

Old 10-22-20, 12:10 AM
svvv

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Here too, +1 on Orange seal. When switching from Stans to Orange it sealed.